Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,052 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:16 AM

What Is The Meaning Of "Is English Your First Language"? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Is The Meaning Of "Is English Your First Language"? (10422 Views)

The Meaning & Significance Of The Green & Red Lights On The Wings Of Aircrafts / Box Junction: What Is The Meaning Of This Road Marking? (PHOTOS) / 'I Discovered The Meaning Of Iberiberism At Owerri Airport' - Man Reveals.Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Meaning Of "Is English Your First Language"? by Mode4: 5:29pm On Jan 02, 2021
I have tried to Google this question in the internet but I'm not getting any straight forward answer. I was filling a form for overseas studies and this questioned popped up. I am confused because as Nigerians, I know we are not considered "native speakers of English" but at the same time I don't know if the question "Is English your first language" and being a native speaker mean the same thing. Please if it does, let me know your views, thank you.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of "Is English Your First Language"? by NiklauseFred(m): 5:38pm On Jan 02, 2021
Mode4:
I have tried to Google this question in the internet but I'm not getting any straight forward answer. I was filling a form for overseas studies and this questioned popped up. I am confused because as Nigerians, I know we are not considered "native speakers of English" but at the same time I don't know if the question "Is English your first language" and being a native speaker mean the same thing. Please if it does, let me know your views, thank you.

Well from look of things since you're not a native speaker of English,then English is not ur first language(ur first language is ur mother tongue)
Re: What Is The Meaning Of "Is English Your First Language"? by Kingosytex(m): 5:39pm On Jan 02, 2021
English is the first language of the USA, Great Britain and some other countries.

I am very certain you aren't an American neither are you from GB, so, English isn't your first language.

It is a first language to those who speak it as their mother tongue.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of "Is English Your First Language"? by nickvanilla(m): 5:46pm On Jan 02, 2021
It means; is English the first language you were introduced to after birth?

Whether you were born in a country that's not considered a native speaking country is not the question.

If English is the first language you learnt to speak, then it's your first language.

Some Nigerian children only know how to speak English. They may be Igbo, Yoruba or Hausa but they were not taught any other language apart from English while growing up. I even know Nigerians living here who would get lost if you try to talk to them in Pidgin English.

8 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of "Is English Your First Language"? by Mode4: 6:53pm On Jan 02, 2021
nickvanilla:
It means; is English the first language you were introduced to after birth?

Whether you were born in a country that's not considered a native speaking country is not the question.

If English is the first language you learnt to speak, then it's your first language.

Some Nigerian children only know how to speak English. They may be Igbo, Yoruba or Hausa but they were not taught any other language apart from English while growing up. I even know Nigerians living here who would get lost if you try to talk to them in Pidgin English.

Actually English was my first language. My mum is Igbo while my dad is ibibio so I didn't get to learn any of their native languages early enough. I only learnt ibibio later.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of "Is English Your First Language"? by Afam4eva(m): 7:36pm On Jan 02, 2021
Mode4:

Actually English was my first language. My mum is Igbo while my dad is ibibio so I didn't get to learn any of their native languages early enough. I only leant ibibio later.
Technically, English is your first language but when the question is being asked, they want to know people whose English is their own native language like the US, UK, Australia etc.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of "Is English Your First Language"? by Saintsquare(m): 7:53pm On Jan 02, 2021
As a Nigerian, English is not your first language, however it's the language of instruction for studies. To prove English as your first language, then you must be from USA, UK and Aus.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of "Is English Your First Language"? by Flytime: 1:30am On Jan 03, 2021
Saintsquare:
As a Nigerian, English is not your first language, however it's the language of instruction for studies. To prove English as your first language, then you must be from USA, UK and Aus.
wrong
What’s the point of me saying our native language is your first language if you can’t even speak it or speak it well?
That’s the case of a lot of a lot of Nigerians
The language you are introduced to at birth is your first language ...most educated Nigerians first language is English

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of "Is English Your First Language"? by Nobody: 6:49am On Jan 03, 2021
Mode4:

Actually English was my first language. My mum is Igbo while my dad is ibibio so I didn't get to learn any of their native languages early enough. I only leant ibibio later.

Don't be fooled by that guy's dodgy definition.

English is Not your first language.

That is not even remotely possible.

We are largely L2 speakers of English.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of "Is English Your First Language"? by Nobody: 6:50am On Jan 03, 2021
Flytime:
wrong
What’s the point of me saying our native language is your first language if you can’t even speak it or speak it well?
The language you are introduced to at birth is your first language ...most educated Nigerians first language is English

What is the first language of your parents?
Re: What Is The Meaning Of "Is English Your First Language"? by Mode4: 7:03am On Jan 03, 2021
mansakhalifa:

Don't be fooled by that guy's dodgy definition.

English is Not your first language.

That is not even remotely possible.

We are largely L2 speakers of English.

Why do u think it is not remotely possible?
Re: What Is The Meaning Of "Is English Your First Language"? by samuelpeters(m): 10:40am On Jan 03, 2021
Mode4:

English is not our first language. Whether you know how to speak your native language or not.
Majority of Nigerian parents do not teach their children English. Our parents mostly use our native languages.

I think only south Africans are considered native English speakers maybe due to the whites there.

©️2021.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Meaning Of "Is English Your First Language"? by samuelpeters(m): 10:57am On Jan 03, 2021
Flytime:
wrong
Hehehehe.. you are wrong.

Nigerians are not considered native English speakers regardless of our educational background.
English is just the language of instruction in Nigeria. Majority of Nigerians do not speak English except in a formal setting.

While in places like the US,UK, Aus, and CA majority of their citizens speak English in a formal or informal setting.

©️2021.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Meaning Of "Is English Your First Language"? by Flytime: 12:37pm On Jan 03, 2021
samuelpeters:

Hehehehe.. you are wrong.

Nigerians are not considered native English speakers regardless of our educational background.
English is just the language of instruction in Nigeria. Majority of Nigerians do not speak English except in a formal setting.

While in places like the US,UK, Aus, and CA majority of their citizens speak English in a formal or informal setting.

©️2021.

okay
I mostly speak English regardless of the setting
Does that make my first language english?
Re: What Is The Meaning Of "Is English Your First Language"? by SamReinvented: 1:18pm On Jan 03, 2021
Technically, from your explanation, English is your first language.

However, since you grew up in a non-majority English speaking country, you may still need to prove that fact. Your school should guide you about how to, either on that same application you’re filling or upon further review.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of "Is English Your First Language"? by samuelpeters(m): 1:50pm On Jan 03, 2021
Flytime:
okay
Yes, it is your first language but not your native language. Which is where the problem lies. They use native/first language interchangeably. But they only want to know if English is the dominant language which it is not.

Those countries I mentioned are the recognized native English speakers in the world. Others picked it up as a 2nd language.

I really understand your point though.

©️2021.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of "Is English Your First Language"? by Saintsquare(m): 4:17pm On Jan 03, 2021
Flytime:
okay
So far you are using the Nigerian passport, you aren't a native English speaker. The Op is applying for studies abroad, the application is trying to ascertain the level of English proficiency of applicants. UK, USA and Australia are exempted from English proficiency exams because they are regarded as native English speakers. Nigeria falls under countries that has English as language of instruction, meaning he would probably require English proficiency exams like IELTS or TOEFL, in some cases a certified document proving he studied in Nigeria with English as language of instruction.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of "Is English Your First Language"? by johnHerba(m): 4:33pm On Jan 16, 2021
Re: What Is The Meaning Of "Is English Your First Language"? by Tomamort: 5:02pm On Jul 12, 2023
Moderator, please I don't really know where I should put this topic, but all the same it is on nairaland. Please folks I want to know what OMUGWO is being called in English(that is a period where a woman just delivered of a baby and the mother or any1 she wants, comes around to look after after her and d baby for some period). Please guys let's see ur opinions, especially for those that knows their onion (English language) wella grin
Re: What Is The Meaning Of "Is English Your First Language"? by GavinThompson: 1:07pm On Jul 13, 2023
English is really quite a difficult language to learn, so I try to learn it every spare minute. I started to visit english listening website, I advise you to go to this website and save in bookmarks that I use for this and I think it will not be a problem for you to improve your language skills in this way and understand native speakers.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of "Is English Your First Language"? by Usainterviews: 4:08pm On Jul 13, 2023
The phrase "Is English your first language?" is a question that asks whether English is the language that a person learned and spoke from an early age, typically during childhood. It is often used to inquire about someone's level of proficiency in English or to understand if they are a native speaker of the language.

(1) (Reply)

Let's Talk About Qatar / Pls Help: Distance /cost From Lagos To Ondo / Liberia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.