Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,218 members, 7,815,256 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:42 AM

General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. (9306 Views)

Ikpeazu's Failure To Pay Tax Makes Him Unfit To Be Governor - Supreme Court / Jonathan Is A Disappointment – Ex-militant Leader, Boyloaf / Suntai’s Wife Admits He Is Unfit To Run Taraba - SaharaReporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by aletheia(m): 5:35pm On Mar 29, 2011
I am utterly disappointed with General Buhari for continuously and deliberately inciting violence in the build up to the elections. He is unfit to be a democratically elected president.

Compare these two statements:

"Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (rtd), yesterday, called on Nigerians to hold President Goodluck Jonathan responsible if the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, failed to conduct free and fair elections."

"Responding, Gov. Oshiomhole said the challenge of credible election was a task for all Nigerians irrespective of political affiliation.

'We need to create an enabling environment which is a condition precedent to the much talked about commitment to one man one vote. For one man one vote to take place, voters must know what the issues are and they must know the candidates and, therefore, governments— federal, states and local government— have a responsibility if one man one vote will be a reality, to be seen beyond rhetoric to allow all candidates without any hindrance to go to any part of the country to present their case and to carry out imparting of ideas between candidates of various parties at all levels,' "

As we can see Governor Oshiomhole responded in a manner more befitting of a statesman. I had some sympathy for General Buhari's cause but for me this turns me away from any support. When we should be talking of how to ensure a peaceful, free and fair election, a man of his stature is codedly inciting violence as if free and fair elections is not the duty of all Nigerians, CPC inclusive.
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by Odunnu: 5:46pm On Mar 29, 2011
What do you expect from a desperate dictator like him?
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by JUO(m): 5:48pm On Mar 29, 2011
he has lost already
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by 4good(m): 5:54pm On Mar 29, 2011
"Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (rtd), yesterday, called on Nigerians to hold President Goodluck Jonathan responsible if the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, failed to conduct free and fair elections."
Who appoints the INEC chairman who in turn determines (largely if not totally) the "freeness" and "fairness" of the entire election processes? Who among the other candidates POSSESSES SUCH POWER TO HAVE MADE INEC DEPENDENT (DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY)? Is it you or I that have such power to change or manipulate election results even when the right ones were anounced at the points of voting? Jega was appointed and whoever appointed him should definitely be held responsible with him if we later find out that the election was not free and fair. If Jega knows that the power that be is in no way in support of any for of riging I assure you the election will be completely free and fair. Buhari was only laying emphasis on the fact that no other person in Nigeria has such power to prevent a free and fair election except the Supreme Authority. He has in NO WAY INCITED VIOLENCE. He only made a simple statement of fact. Leave it or take it. I still see BB ticket as the only way out.
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by aletheia(m): 6:02pm On Mar 29, 2011
^^^
aletheia:

"Responding, Gov. Oshiomhole said the challenge of credible election was a task for all Nigerians irrespective of political affiliation.

When the violence starts in the North, I hope you will still be singing BB then.
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by kasiem(m): 6:15pm On Mar 29, 2011
Buhari or whatever u call ursef! Be cautious with ur words, dont chew more than cant bite
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by KnowAll(m): 6:16pm On Mar 29, 2011
If it is glaring he lost no SWesterners would fight 4 futility. Even his VP an erudite scholar
Should be able to see d writing on the wall. We know where d weak points are & if those weak points come to play in determining who d eventual winner is most SWesterners Would accept d defeat with humility. But if a case of primia facia  or blatant rigging can be established then we would fight to d last man.
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by 4good(m): 6:16pm On Mar 29, 2011
When the violence starts in the North, I hope you will still be singing BB then.
I dont forsee any kind of violence if we can get the 2003 kind of free and fair election delivered by a truly independent NEC. I suspect those who sing of violence now actually have skeletons in their cupboard. Did the president not say "people should protect their vote"? Can we then say that that is inciting violence?  Take for instance a different result is announced for your local government different from what most people know to be true result. in an attempt to protect votes and make it truly count some people may take law into their hands and guess what ,
Again if the election is free and fair their will be virtually no violence.
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by LFJ: 6:18pm On Mar 29, 2011
Going by our history, Buhari's statement is in order
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by 4good(m): 6:19pm On Mar 29, 2011
I dont forsee any kind of violence if we can get the 2003 kind of free and fair election delivered by a truly independent NEC
Sorry, I mean "the 1999 kind of free and fair election delivered by a truly independent NEC" in my previous post.
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by Beaf: 6:38pm On Mar 29, 2011
One is running for governorship and the other for the highest post in the land, yet the chasm between their utterances is deep and wide.
Comparing Buhari's statement with Oshiomole's is like comparing kindergarten and university. Oshiomole's words are what we expect from a leader, encouraging, telling us how to help ourselves and the country, and what the benefits to society are. Great guy!

Buhari's words on the other hand, always tend to be inciteful and unbecoming, he always completely disconnects himself from any responsibility to the country, and lays the blame at the feet of others. Leaders don't do that.
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by monkeyleg: 6:48pm On Mar 29, 2011
@Beaf,

Una don share money finish for Abuja. How come we no hear from you for 2 days
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by rasputinn(m): 6:54pm On Mar 29, 2011
Beaf:

One is running for governorship and the other for the highest post in the land, yet the chasm between their utterances is deep and wide.
Comparing Buhari's statement with Oshiomole's is like comparing kindergarten and university. Oshiomole's words are what we expect from a leader, encouraging, telling us how to help ourselves and the country, and what the benefits to society are. Great guy!

Buhari's words on the other hand, always tend to be inciteful and unbecoming, he always completely disconnects himself from any responsibility to the country, and lays the blame at the feet of others. Leaders don't do that.

Jeeeesus cheesy cheesy

Bless you Beaf

Dear God,please open the eyes and ears of my few countrymen that are so naive they've fallen for the Buhari bakare scam.Open their eyes to see that GEJ is the only way forward
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by Jakumo(m): 7:13pm On Mar 29, 2011
The evil that consumes Ayatollah Buggari's heart can only remain hidden for as long as he keeps his festering mouth shut. Since he is incapable of keeping his trap shut, the foulness of his character will remain on display wherever he goes.
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by ektbear: 7:14pm On Mar 29, 2011
I'm not sure that your criticism is fair.

I mean, GEJ took the responsibility for free and fair elections himself, guaranteeing this to both Nigerians and the Western world.

So since he has taken this on himself, who should be blamed if they aren't free and fair?

Accountability is a good thing.
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by friedrice1: 7:17pm On Mar 29, 2011
aletheia:

I am utterly disappointed with General Buhari for continuously and deliberately inciting violence in the build up to the elections. He is unfit to be a democratically elected president.

Compare these two statements:

'We need to create an enabling environment which is a condition precedent to the much talked about commitment to one man one vote. For one man one vote to take place, voters must know what the issues are and they must know the candidates and, therefore, governments— federal, states and local government— have a responsibility if one man one vote will be a reality, to be seen beyond rhetoric to allow all candidates without any hindrance to go to any part of the country to present their case and to carry out imparting of ideas between candidates of various parties at all levels,' "

Wow! this statement sounds so inciting as you want us to believe, why don't you come up straight and admit defeat in your fruitless search to find a fault in Buhari. or must you come up with any silly thing to justify your smear campaign payments from your principal GEJ?.  how did  i stray into this silly thread?
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by dayokanu(m): 7:20pm On Mar 29, 2011
GEJ as sitting president promised free and fair elections.

If we dont have what he promised who should we hold responsible?
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by Odunnu: 7:23pm On Mar 29, 2011
Oya waka comot.
Thanx for stopping by
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by dayokanu(m): 7:25pm On Mar 29, 2011
Lets play sport
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by Odunnu: 7:27pm On Mar 29, 2011
Lol. How are you?
Ths is an interesting thread. Lets not 'play sport' here
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by efisher(m): 7:28pm On Mar 29, 2011
The election will be free and fair by everybody's effort. If CPC members in the different areas do not sell their own conscience, how will rigging work? We all need to take ownership of the process. What we do not like is the fact that he always wants to disconnect himself from the whole thing. Everybody is looking for ways to improve the process. People are ready to go there with cameras and phones for proper monitoring, while he sits there expecting the worst.

Anyway, the fact that he made the statement in Benin Cty where he could only gather a little crowd (less than what a local government councillor will gather), is an indication of his fears. The defeat in the SS dawned on him seriously thus the statement. As Beaf said, Gov. Oshiomhole displayed far more maturity. Think of it will Fashola or Oshiomhole ever say anything like "If I lose election in my state, blame the government"?
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by ektbear: 7:38pm On Mar 29, 2011
The past two elections were not free and fair. 2007 elections, international bodies agree was one of the worst elections in Nigerian history.

Buhari went to court for many months to challenge the results of those elections.

Yar'Adua compromised and did a unity government including the ANPP.

Now, Buhari is running again. He has been promised free and fair elections by his President, GEJ. A promise GEJ made to all Nigerians, as well as the entire world.

So if free and fair elections don't occur. . . again, who should be blamed?

Should we blame Canada? Blame aliens? Blame Hinduism?

Should we blame Nigerians as a whole? Or blame the guy at the top of government who made the promise, GEJ?  undecided

This lack of accountability that Nigerians exhibit sometimes is frightening.
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by dayokanu(m): 7:47pm On Mar 29, 2011
Odunnu:

Lol. How are you?
Ths is an interesting thread. Lets not 'play sport' here

But "Sport" dey hungry me na?

Where make we go "play Sport"
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by Pataki: 7:50pm On Mar 29, 2011
This OP is really confused.

Buhari called on Nigerians to hold Jonathan accountable to his words should the elections not be free and fair.

The OP is stating that a free and fair election is the duty of Nigerians. So what is your problem with what Buhari has said? undecided
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by aletheia(m): 7:57pm On Mar 29, 2011
ekt_bear:

I'm not sure that your criticism is fair.

I mean, GEJ took the responsibility for free and fair elections himself, guaranteeing this to both Nigerians and the Western world.

So since he has taken this on himself, who should be blamed if they aren't free and fair?

Accountability is a good thing.
^^^You have to consider the context of what he says and how it is perceived by his more fanatical supporters.

Those who crafted Nigeria's 1979 constitution (on which the 1999 one is based) knew why they included the 25% in two-thirds of states requirement. It was to forestall the kind of situation in the First Republic where the NPC became the government at the center while still remaining a party restricted to the North ( a situation that contributed to the exacerbated tensions of that time in a multicultural and multi-religious country like ours.). They did this to ensure that anyone ascending to the office of president must command widespread national acceptance.

Buhari has run a largely sectional campaign in which his more ardent supporters have been known to chant: "Sai Buhari, ba u son mai fitsari a tsaye". Most of these supporters are illiterate and see the world through the prism of religious prejudice and violence that is largely directed towards other Nigerians not of their ethnicity or religion. For them, Buhari's campaign rallies are religious events. It is these same group that he urged to lynch election riggers. These people interpret election riggers as anyone not in support of their chosen candidate (Witness their violence directed at others on the day of Buhari's election campaign launch in Kaduna). The prevailing view among most of Buhari's supporters (even educated ones) is that he cannot lose a free and fair election. This zero-sum attitude leaves room for the misinterpretation that Buhari's loss means the elections were rigged.

Buhari's has patently ignored a whole section of the country in his campaign, hoping to become president on the weight of NW votes and to some extent NE and SW votes. This strategy is bound to fail as is becoming evident. Buhari has failed to educate his supporters that he can lose a free and fair election thus laying the groundwork for post-election violence. His utterances ought to be more nuanced. After all free and fair elections is the responsibility of all Nigerians including himself. . .as pointed out by Oshiomhole.

My position is based on personal and bitter experience of violence suffered at the hands of CPC supporters. Ask those who live in Jos or Kaduna or Kano. In this election season, there is a lot of propaganda in the media because all parties want to present themselves as the good guys.
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by Demdem(m): 8:04pm On Mar 29, 2011
Pataki:

This OP is really confused.

Buhari called on Nigerians to hold Jonathan accountable to his words should the elections not be free and fair.

The OP is stating that a free and fair election is the duty of Nigerians. So what is your problem with what Buhari has said? undecided

I agree with u dayokano. OP is really really confused.
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by aletheia(m): 8:04pm On Mar 29, 2011
fried-rice:

Wow! this statement sounds so inciting as you want us to believe, why don't you come up straight and admit defeat in your fruitless search to find a fault in Buhari. or must you come up with any silly thing to justify your smear campaign payments from your principal GEJ?.  how did  i stray into this silly thread?

You are a man easily bought that is why you believe that anyone that doesn't support your candidate must have been paid. I dare you to show one post where I canvassed support for PDP or GEJ. I am not surprised; given the tendency for Fascism displayed by the more tendentious of Buhari's supporters. FYI, I was undecided and a bit sympathetic to his cause until this statement. As far as I am concerned this is the last straw for me. If a supposed statesman like him cannot forge a national consensus; what manner of change does he offer: lynch mobs and bloodletting in the streets?
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by LFJ: 8:06pm On Mar 29, 2011
There is no controversy about this, it is an open knowledge that in the last 12years of PDP, we have not witness free and fair election. We know our problem, the PDP, so if Buhari express his fear about these criminals the man is right and will shd not blame him for preempt what these criminals in PDP are capable of doing.
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by KnowAll(m): 8:12pm On Mar 29, 2011
Buhari has run a largely sectional campaign in which his more ardent supporters have been known to chant: "Sai Buhari, ba u son mai fitsari a tsaye". Most of these supporters are illiterate and see the world through the prism of religious prejudice and violence that is largely directed towards other Nigerians not of their ethnicity or religion. For them, Buhari's campaign rallies are religious events. It is these same group that he urged to lynch election riggers. These people interpret election riggers as anyone not in support of their chosen candidate (Witness their violence directed at others on the day of Buhari's election campaign launch in Kaduna). The prevailing view among most of Buhari's supporters (even educated ones) is that he cannot lose a free and fair election. This zero-sum attitude leaves room for the misinterpretation that Buhari's loss means the elections were rigged.

I dont think Buhari's VP would be a party to a charade where northerners would go on rampage killing other southerners in the north because they voted Jonathan. If that happens, Buhari would be on his own.
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by aletheia(m): 8:14pm On Mar 29, 2011
Demdem:

I agree with u dayokano. OP is really really confused.

Confused? I laugh. Perhaps a little editing will open your eyes to the implications of Buhari's statement:

aletheia:

"Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (rtd), yesterday, called on Nigerians to [s]hold President Goodluck Jonathan responsible if the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, failed to conduct free and fair elections.[/s] all work together to ensure a credible, free and fair elections"

SMH at children pretending to be politically mature. Has INEC or it's chairman cried out that the FG is interfering with its independence? Has INEC complained that it has been starved of funds to carry out its duties?
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by Demdem(m): 8:19pm On Mar 29, 2011
aletheia:

Confused? I laugh. Perhaps a little editing will open your eyes to the implications of Buhari's statement:

SMH at children pretending to be politically mature. Has INEC or it's chairman cried out that the FG is interfering with its independence? Has INEC complained that it has been starved of funds to carry out its duties?

nahhh, i dont think so. you are simply taking it to where he didnt mean it.
Firstly, he has since stated that he is not for violence.
Secondly, Jonathan himself promised us a free and fair election so if it doesnt happen, who should we blame?

so if they are interfering, is INEC that independent to voice out such?
Re: General Buhari Is A Disappointment To Me. He Is Unfit To Be President. by aletheia(m): 8:31pm On Mar 29, 2011
Demdem:

so if they are interfering, is INEC that independent to voice out such?
^^^
http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/inec-boss-threatens-resign-pm-news-nigeria?page=4

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Subsidy Bribe: Pressure On Police To Charge Otedola With Lawan / NIGERIAN GOVT: There Re No Indiginous Yorubas In Lagos, kwara And Kogi / Bode George: Why I Won’t Support Throwing PDP Presidential Ticket Open

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.