Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,842 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:08 AM

Teslim ‘thunder’ Balogun: The Man, The Myth And The Football - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Teslim ‘thunder’ Balogun: The Man, The Myth And The Football (452 Views)

Yabscore..the Football App Better Than Livescore / The Myth About Female Virginity / Ember Myth, And How To Make The Most Of This Festive Season! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teslim ‘thunder’ Balogun: The Man, The Myth And The Football by Jimsonjaat96(m): 10:14pm On Jan 04, 2021
It is told in Nigerian football folklore that in a match played in the 1960s, ECN, Lagos needed a goal to win the Challenge Cup, and with time running out a fan shouted at Teslim Balogun [who was on the pitch], do not forget your left and he [Teslim] shot a shot with his left foot. The rest, they say, is history.

The ball went through the midriffs of the goalkeeper and through the net and the moniker THUNDER was birthed. The nick stuck courtesy of his skills and lethal shots at goal.
Teslim Akanni Thunder Balogun was born in 1927 in Lagos. His father, Oseni Balogun was a cricket player in the 1920s. Tesleem started his football career in 1944 when he played for Apapa Bombers. He afterwards played in eight different first division clubs in Nigeria between 1944 and 1961. In 1947 he played for Marine. He appeared for Railway in 1949, Plateau in 1951, Pan Bank in 1952 and Dynamo in 1953. He was also cup-winning Ibadan team of 1959 and 1961. In the seven Governors Challenge Cup finals he played; his team won five times he was the first player to have that number of Challenge Cup medals.
He also made marks in goal-scoring.

Teslim was the first player to score a hat trick in the Challenge Cup final when he netted three goals in Pan Banks 6-1 routing of Warri XI in 1952.
He was one of the Nigerian players to take the trade abroad. Teslim played professional football in England at Peterborough United, Holbeach United and Queens Park Rangers. Balogun was introduced to Peterborough United by Reginald B. Allen, a Peterborian who was secretary of the Nigerian Football Association.

Teslim was in England for four years, primarily to learn printing works. He made his debut for Peterborough reserves in an Eastern Counties League match away to Holbeach. Although he didnt score in that match, the club manager at the time, one Mr. George Swindin, saw potentials in Balogun.

However, Teslim was disqualified from playing for Nigeria in the Olympic qualifying series in 1959. But he subsequently returned to play a few international games for Nigeria.
He was called upon for to play in the bilateral encounters against Ghana in the contest for Zik Cup. He was in the Nigerian Red Devils side that held Ghana to 1-1 draw on October 29, 1960 in Lagos. A month later, he also played in Nigerias 2-1 loss to visiting Egypt which was arranged to commemorate the inauguration of Nnamdi Azikwe as the first indigenous Governor-General of Nigeria.

That was Teslim Baloguns last international match.
Curiously, despite Teslims legendary statue in Nigerian football, he had just six international caps. The explanation is that the Nigerian national team had fewer fixtures in those days. He did some feature against some visiting foreign sides.
One of those matches was a November 5, 1960s duel between the Western Region side and the Congo Brazzaville national side. The tie ended in a draw.

Five days later, a Lagos-selected side also invited Balogun to feature for it in the game against Congo Brazzaville. Lagos won 5-0. Expectedly, Teslim was the hero. His beautiful movements rocked the crowded Lagos City Stadium.

Teslim also had a knack of discovering talents either in football or couching. One of the football talents he discovered is Taiwo Ogunjobi, former Nigeria Football Federation [NFF] Chairman on Technical Matters.

Ogunjobi, fondly called Skippo was quoted saying, my first call-up to the camp of Nigeria Academicals came in 1970, when Teslim came to watch a football match involving African Church Grammar School and Hope Grammar School. The man later told me that he had heard many stories about me and decided to come and watch me play.

After the match, we assembled under a tree, Balogun walked up to me. I wore No. 9 during the match. Thunder Balogun asked our Games Master, where is omo Ilesha [where is that Ilesha guy]? He said jokingly, I dont know Ijesha people can play football. Thats how he invited me to the camp of Western Academicals.

Also former CAF Technical Committee member, Chief Adegboye Onigbinde was enrolled in a coach course by Thunder. As a coach, I was discovered by Teslim Balogun who registered me for a coaching course against my will. He insisted I would do better as a soccer coach. And look at me today, in soccer coaching I am a success story.

Teslim Baloguns achievements on the field precede him and comments from those who saw him play have it that he was arguably the greatest center forward ever produced by Africa.
He was a member of the coaching crew that led the national team to the 1968 Olympic Games in Mexico. He also played for the national team for 11 years [1949 to 1960]. After his career in 1962, he coached till death.

He died in his sleep on July 30, 1972 at the relatively age 45.

Jimoh Taofik Adekunle
(Jimson Jaat Taofik)
Pen Priest
Facebook: Jimoh Taofik Adekunle
Twitter: @jimsonjaat01
Phone: 08144510532

Re: Teslim ‘thunder’ Balogun: The Man, The Myth And The Football by theFilmtric: 10:16pm On Jan 04, 2021
these guys made Nigeria proud Lalasticlala Mynd44
theFilmtricsay
Re: Teslim ‘thunder’ Balogun: The Man, The Myth And The Football by kingkoboko: 6:00am On May 12, 2021
Thunder Balogun scored d winnin goal in d legendary 99-1 match

U can read d full story wit all d details in d book THE LEGEND OF INDIA VS NIGERIA

Google it or com 2my Facebook & ask 4a copy. U'll b blown away wallahi. *winks*

(1) (Reply)

Big Brother Naija Starshare Sexy Photos Of Herself Rocking Just Her Bra And Pant / How Can I Get To State Junior High School Gowon Estate From Egbeda For Waec Gce / Transgender Woman Spends Huge Amount On Surgery To Facilitate Transformation.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.