Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,955 members, 7,824,997 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 11:01 PM

Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? (16091 Views)

Masquerades Seen Giving A Man Change After The Man Offered Them Money / Masquerades At Golibe Festival Onitsha (Photos) / 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jan 05, 2021
INFERIORITY COMPLEX...
Nothing else.

The Brain of an Average Nigerian Is wired to believe that he who speaks English fluently is more Intelligent and wiser...
Sometime ago, I was demeaned by my tribeswoman for attending to her Child in our Native Language rather than English.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by searchng4love: 12:03pm On Jan 05, 2021
mansakhalifa:
You want to know why?

It is simply because Nigeria is home to some of the most inferior Africans that you will ever find anywhere on this bloody Earth.
Like my father would always say: they want to be more 'white' than the 'white man' himself.

We were thoroughly colonized. Why do a lot of Nigerians try to speak with a "foreign accent" for instance?

Nigerians are messed up like that.

My opinion.
Moronic assumption. Have you bothered to examine the responsibilities and burden these things place on locals? You need to be balanced in your analysis to avoid moronic assumptions like above.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by Grace001: 12:03pm On Jan 05, 2021
Because as black we still exhibit that mental slavery behavior .

That’s why we value anything from Oyinbo/Arab land

And rubbish our own.
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by chaloskyx: 12:03pm On Jan 05, 2021
BECAUSE THEIR GOVERNMENT DONT CREATE PROBLEMS FOR THEM THEY DONT NEED TO WORRY ABOUT LIGHT BAD ROADS POOR HOSPITALS ETC HENCE THE HAVE THE TIME TO APPRECIATE THE BEAUTY OF LIFE AND HISTORY HOWEVER IN OUR CASE WITH ALL THE SUFFERING DOES IT MAKE SENSE TO START APPRECIATING THINGS LIKE ART WHEN YOUR OWN GOVT DOES NOT EVEN APPRECIATE ITS PEOPLE OR HUMAN BEINGS

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by souzadchef(m): 12:03pm On Jan 05, 2021
POVERTY!
We're far to obsessed with our daily bread to appreciate our environment.
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by Yusfunoble(m): 12:04pm On Jan 05, 2021
The same reason Nigerians and others Africans appreciate and carry white men religion for head even more than the whites.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by MYZOLE: 12:05pm On Jan 05, 2021

1 Like

Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jan 05, 2021
Yusfunoble:
The same reason Nigerians and others Africans appreciate and carry white men religion for head even more than the whites.
Exactly
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by Farki: 12:05pm On Jan 05, 2021
Here's the thing though, those foreigners and pan Africans have a rose tinted view of Africa due to not having any solid culture to associate themselves with.

They latch on to anything African in an attempt for forge an identity which is only related to them by the shade of brown they are born with.

I personally find Pan-Africans irritating.

Another view is that colonisation and Christianity/Islam has turned the artefacts into sinful idols lacking in purpose aside from leading men astray into the sinful "old ways of our ancestors".
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by Sirlins(m): 12:06pm On Jan 05, 2021
ethicallyright:
THE MUSEUM SCENE IN BLACK PANTHER (The colonial masters perspective)

One of the earliest scenes in Marvel's Superhero movie and records breaker, Black Panther is set in the The Museum of Great Britain . The part of the museum which is captured consists 90% artifacts with African Origin. Everything is so beautiful and neatly packaged in expensive glass showcases.

It is important to mention that the core weapon which sets the movie for action is linked to 7th century Benin. Before talking about that ancient axe which is important in the movie, the Museum Director had informed Killmonger that a previous artifact (a masquerade mask) was from 16th Century Benin and another one was from Ghana.

Black Panther grossed more than 1 billion dollars. Museums in the United Kingdom earn more than 50 million British pounds yearly displaying these artifacts that religious leaders with the support of their followers vilify and even burn in Nigeria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9nWHqS_v_o

Like I said at the beginning, I do not want to start an argument. I just want you , as a Nigerian with reasoning ability, to rethink the logic of demonizing masquerades when corporations that are managed from skyscrapers and Countries who brought Christianity to us find them very worthy.
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jan 05, 2021
mansakhalifa:
You want to know why?

It is simply because Nigeria is home to some of the most inferior Africans that you will ever find anywhere on this bloody Earth.
Like my father would always say: they want to be more 'white' than the 'white man' himself.

We were thoroughly colonized. Why do a lot of Nigerians try to speak with a "foreign accent" for instance?

My opinion.
My friend there is every reason to feel inferior about being a Nigerian, it simply implies that we are all part of the problem of the country.

Once you are a Nigerian, you are starting life in hard mode; that's the reality. You have no right to scold anyone on how they choose to act or speak.

What your father told you should rule over family and stick to the confined of your house.
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jan 05, 2021
ethicallyright:
The first week of this year has produced stories with diverse themes , hopeful and thought-provoking news contents and revealing current affairs nuggets.

Few of these captivating pieces of information have made it to the front page of Africa's largest Internet forum, Nairaland. One of the trending media content that got to the front page was that of a cultural masquerade who relieved himself of his traditional duty after a convincing sermon by a young christian lady.

From twitter retweets by conservatives to Facebook timelines of Pan-Africans and even in the Nairaland thread provided immediately after this paragraph, there has been a battle of wits between citizens who believe the Nigerian culture of masquerading has outlived its importance and those who find pride in the ways of their ancestors who came before them.

https://www.nairaland.com/6344670/lady-converts-masquerader-christianity-makes

The purpose of this thread is anything but an argument. This thread simply reveals, with concrete evidence, what multinationals and foreigners think about our masquerades and masks.
Why don't you ask if I gain anything from masquerades?
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by mentored: 12:07pm On Jan 05, 2021
ethicallyright:
The first week of this year has produced stories with diverse themes , hopeful and thought-provoking news contents and revealing current affairs nuggets.

Few of these captivating pieces of information have made it to the front page of Africa's largest Internet forum, Nairaland. One of the trending media content that got to the front page was that of a cultural masquerade who relieved himself of his traditional duty after a convincing sermon by a young christian lady.

From twitter retweets by conservatives to Facebook timelines of Pan-Africans and even in the Nairaland thread provided immediately after this paragraph, there has been a battle of wits between citizens who believe the Nigerian culture of masquerading has outlived its importance and those who find pride in the ways of their ancestors who came before them.

The purpose of this thread is anything but an argument. This thread simply reveals, with concrete evidence, what multinationals and foreigners think about our masquerades and masks.

OP

its simple

Life is in phases

Basic things of life Phase - Shelter , food, clothing, light, good road, hospitals.

After that - social status - qualifications, titles etc

After that - philanthropy - orphanages etc

After that - gathering of artifacts etc

WE IN NIGERIA ARE STILL AT the BASIC THINGS OF LIFE LEVEL

Person never chop u dey talk about appreciating ogogoro artifact!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by Sirlins(m): 12:07pm On Jan 05, 2021
It happens only in movies

Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by hustla(m): 12:08pm On Jan 05, 2021
istina:
Because, we are used to seeing them.
Secondly, it's like foreign products to them, i guess we all like foreign things

Exactly

Adire and Batik full Abeokuta and I never look at them twice when passing through where it's majorly sold.. But people from other states In Nigeria and those abroad hype them for some reason

I guess its see finish grin
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by Jaybihel25(m): 12:08pm On Jan 05, 2021
Op, do you get turned on by your own unclothedness?
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by kalu61(m): 12:09pm On Jan 05, 2021
mansakhalifa:
You want to know why?

My opinion.
Not just your opinion, it's fact.

Those that will jump to correct you in use of English pisses me off most but can't write in their mother's tongue well.

Sorry, those whites actually succeeded in brainwashing us and the religion keeps fueling it
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jan 05, 2021
RELIGION

A SCULPTURE IT'S ALREADY EVIL AND SCARY TO A TYPICAL NIGERIAN

NOLLYWOOD IS NOT HELPING TOO....WE CONSUME EVERYTHING THEY ACT AS IT IS AND TAKES IT AS REALITY

I CAN'T EVEN WATCH NOLLYWOOD FOR 10MIN WITHOUT FEELING AM DOWNGRADING MY BRAIN.....I JUST FEEL SOMETHING LEAVING ME IMMEDIATELY THE MOVIE STARTS
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by wiseone28: 12:09pm On Jan 05, 2021
mansakhalifa:
You want to know why?

My opinion.
Na that fake accent pain me pass especially OAP on radio..

I will just tune off the station.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by zedegit: 12:10pm On Jan 05, 2021
ethicallyright:

The African man's immediate problem is hunger. Thus he looks to satisfy it by any means necessary.

The western world has conquered hunger to a large extent thus unlocking the potential to appreciate nature, artifacts, diacovery for posterity.

When a western man sees a new snake, he does a documentary on it and tries to understand it's behavior, chemistry and how to explore it to build a qualitative life for mankind.

An African sees a snake, he'll get a cutlass, kill it, roast and call Lalasticlala to witness.

That's my opinion.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jan 05, 2021
CamusMidas:

My friend there is every reason to feel inferior about being a Nigerian, it simply implies that we are all part of the problem of the country.

Once you are a Nigerian, you are starting life in hard mode; that's the reality. You have no right to scold anyone on how they choose to act or speak.

What your father told you should rule over family and stick to the confined of your house.
How does being a Nigerian make anyone inferior??
Who is superior and what makes such homo sapiens superior?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jan 05, 2021
JoeEeL:
SIMPLE REASON : COS WE ARE SUPER DUMB

They took away your name "Oodua", "Biafra"... and gave you a new pet name called "Nigeria". And you accepted -- signifying you're owned. You're purchased. You're a commodity.

And you will see grown foools that will travel to the U.K and then start praising them and the same very oppressors that set up this demonic bondage for us.

We had our own languages and civilisation before they came. They took it away from us and installed theirs calling it "LINGUA FRANCA"

We had our own religions, they took it from us and gave us a "WHITE JESUS" and a "CONFUSED NOMADIC MOHAMMED". Meanwhile they took all our artefacts, our carvings and every bit that signified our civilisation for eons. And they display it in their evil-fested museum for the world to see.

And blacks with no iota of shame do trooop in there to "pay" to see what is ours ancestrally.

BLACKS SEEM TO BE CURSED BECAUSE THEIR BRAINS ARE ONE OF THE MOST DECREPIT THINGS YOU COULD EVER FIND ON EARTH.

You more than right. But what is the way forward? To me, it's better to join them when you can't fight them anymore. When you even try to fight for the African people, they will chastise you for fighting on their behalf. I have renounced humanism (atheism) this year. It almost run me down financially. Nobody wants to help me for saying the truth.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by mentored: 12:12pm On Jan 05, 2021
ethicallyright:

OP

its simple

Life is in phases

Basic things of life Phase - Shelter , food, clothing, light, good road, hospitals.

Person never chop u dey talk about appreciating ogogoro artifact!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jan 05, 2021
We start to see Ojuju from small, u come day talk this one? Which one u day now?
we don see our self finish

Take it to the bank
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by seproperties(m): 12:14pm On Jan 05, 2021
AuwalYusuf812:
Stupid question shocked
. Very easy to Identify a Mentally derailed person .
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by mentored: 12:14pm On Jan 05, 2021
OP

its simple

Life is in phases

Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by uuzba(m): 12:14pm On Jan 05, 2021
Its the only things we have that are not imported. And they want to see whom we really are.
Of what use is it for them to come here and be looking at iPhone, Jeans and cars? They make these things in their country. Your own can never be better than theirs.
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jan 05, 2021
zedegit:

The African man's immediate problem is hunger. Thus he looks to satisfy it by any means necessary.

The western world has conquered hunger to a large extent thus unlocking the potential to appreciate nature, artifacts, diacovery for posterity.

When a western man sees a new snake, he does a documentary on it and tries to understand it's behavior, chemistry and how to explore it to build a qualitative life for mankind.

An African sees a snake, he'll get a cutlass, kill it, roast and call Lalasticlala to witness.

That's my opinion.
It's not every white that performs experiments!!!!!!
It's not every white that can stand the presence of snakes!!!!!!!!
It's not every black that never performs experiments!!!!!!
Ultimately,generalizations such as yours remain baseless!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by NeoWanZaeed(m): 12:16pm On Jan 05, 2021
The right question should be. . If na oyinbo get juju, would dey accept christianity?
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by osusuallstars: 12:17pm On Jan 05, 2021
Satisfied need does not motivate

The same way we look the pictures of Hindu priest and monk , the same way we look in amazement of images of Harri Krishna but the Indians don't see it that way
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by zedegit: 12:17pm On Jan 05, 2021
HellVictorinho:

It's not every white that performs experiments!!!!!!
It's not every white that can stand the presence of snakes!!!!!!!!
It's not every black that never performs experiments!!!!!!
Ultimately,generalizations such as yours remain baseless!!!!!!!!

You're very shallow. I only cited an example and you chose to gush out saliva over what you lack comprehension about.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names / What Tribe Do You Like Best And Why? / Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.