Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,143 members, 7,818,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:37 PM

Stories That Ginger The Hearts - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Stories That Ginger The Hearts (1618 Views)

Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World / Mended Hearts / NAME The Nairalanders Writers And Their Stories That Made U Read All Night (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stories That Ginger The Hearts by DivineDynamics: 3:14pm On Jan 05, 2021
Stories That Ginger the Hearts

A wealthy man and his son loved to collect rare works of art. They had everything in their collection, from Picasso to Raphael. They would often sit together and admire the great works of art.

When the Vietnam conflict broke out, the son went to war. He was very courageous and died in battle while rescuing another soldier. The father was notified and he grieved deeply for his only son.

About a month later, just before Christmas, there was a knock at the door. A young man stood at the door with a large package in his hands. He said, "Sir, you don't know me, but I am the soldier for whom your son gave his life. He saved me alongside many lives that day. He was carrying me to safety when a bullet struck him in the heart and he died instantly. He often talked about you and your love for the art."

The young man held out his package. "I know this isn't much. I'm not really a great artist, but I think your son would have wanted you to have this.'

The old man opened the package. It was a portrait of his son painted by the young man. He stared in awe at the way the soldier had captured the personality of his son in the painting. The father was so drawn to the eyes that his own eyes swelled up with tears. He thanked the young man and offered to pay him for the picture.

"Oh, no, sir. I could never repay what your son did for me. It's a gift."

The father hung the portrait over his mantle. Everytime visitors came to his house, he took them to see the portrait of his son before he showed them any of the other great works he had collected.

The man died a few months later. There was to be a great auction of his paintings. Many influential people gathered, excited over seeing the great paintings and having an opportunity to purchase one for their collection.

On the platform sat the painting of the son. The auctioneer pounded the gavel. "We will start the bidding with this picture of the son. Who will bid for this picture?"

There was silence.

Then, a voice in the back of the room shouted, "We want to see the famous paintings. Skip this one."

But the auctioneer insisted: 'Will somebody bid for this painting? Who will start the bidding? $100? $200?"

( the story continues)
Re: Stories That Ginger The Hearts by DivineDynamics: 12:52pm On Jan 06, 2021
Then, a voice in the back of the room shouted, "We want to see the famous paintings. Skip this one."

But the auctioneer insisted: 'Will somebody bid for this painting? Who will start the bidding? $100? $200?"

Another voice angrily said: "We didn't come to see this painting. We came to see the Van Goghs, the Rembrandts. Get on with the real bids!"

Despite their persistence, the auctioneer continued: "The son! The son! Who'll take the artwork of the son?"

Finally, a voice came from the very back of the room. It was the longtime gardener of the man and his son. "I'll give $10 for the painting." Being a poor man, it was all he could afford.

"We have $10, who will bid for $20?"

"Give him for $10," one of the men in the crowd said. "Let's see the masterpieces."

The auctioneer pounded the gavel. "Going... going...gone. The artwork is sold for $10."

A man sitting on the second row shouted: "Now, let's get on with the collection!"

The auctioneer laid down the gavel. "I'm sorry, the auction is over."

The crowd was appalled. "What about the painting?" one of them asked.

The auctioneer shook his head. "I'm sorry. When I was called to conduct this auction, I was told of a secret stipulation in the will. I was not
allowed to reveal that stipulation until this time. Only the painting of the son would be auctioned. Whoever bought that painting would inherit
the entire estate, including the paintings. The man who took the artwork of the son gets everything."

God gave His son over 2,000 years ago to die on the cross. It was much like the auctioner. His message today is: The Son, the Son, who will take
the Son?

The fact is whoever takes the Son gets everything!

FOR GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD HE GAVE HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON, WHO SO EVER BELIEVETH, SHALL HAVE ETERNAL LIFE (JOHN 3:16)

That's love.

(Culled from the Media)

MORE STORIES TO COME.

3 Likes

Re: Stories That Ginger The Hearts by FairCritic(m): 7:49pm On Jan 07, 2021
Nice story.

Moral lesson: Do not despise little beginning.
Re: Stories That Ginger The Hearts by Janet96(f): 8:41pm On Jan 08, 2021
FairCritic:
Nice story.

Moral lesson: Do not despise little beginning.

Re: Stories That Ginger The Hearts by DivineDynamics: 6:49am On Jan 09, 2021
Twice a Victim

Maggie was at home, preparing dinner. It was already 9.30.pm and the food was almost ready. Chucks, her heartthrob, would soon come. She was sure he would enjoy what she was preparing.

She had made sure she prepared what he loved to eat. It was a local delicacy of fufu and egusi soup grilled with goat meat. Maggie did not really like goat meat but that was what the man wanted. Sometimes, he made it look like what he wanted superseded any other want. He was the one paying the piper, so must dictate the tune.

She had met Chucks about six months ago. He lived down the street and had accosted her one day as she was on her way to grind pepper in a shop close to the local market.

She had rebuffed his advances, but he had remained adamant. He had professed how madly in love he was with her. He further disclosed that he worked as a supervisor in a bottling company and would want to settle down with her.

"What do you want with a married woman that has two children?" Maggie had asked him.

"You're married?" Chucks had asked incredibly.

At thirty two, she still looked beautiful and attractive. At thirty two, nobody would know that Maggie had two children, aged sixteen and twelve. A school dropout who had become enamored to a city man, she still looked trim and beautiful. She could have had more children but providence had given her only two so far.

"Yes, I’m married and I have two children,' she had repeated. At that moment, if her husband Paul had witnessed the scene, he would have been very proud of her.

Chucks had recovered from the shock and had smiled. Something in him would simply not let him leave her.

"Well, even if you are married, I can also see that you not properly taken care of. That is what I will do. I am going to take care of you, I
promise. You are beautiful. You deserve more than this."

Truly, she was beautiful. She was a sweet sixteen, beautiful village girl when Paul, her husband, had come for her. Each time she remembered
when she first met Paul, she would smile at herself. It was sixteen years ago and she was only sixteen. How times moved so fast!

Paul too had promised to treat her like a queen for the rest of her life. He had told her he was a banker with one of the new generation banks,
and she had believed him. He had looked so smooth and attractive.

On getting to Lagos, she realized that indeed he worked in a bank, but was a dispatch rider. That was the first disappointment. Paul lied
about many things. He even lied that he was already taking a chartered banking course and was about to become a real chartered banker.

He had pretended that he was sorry about pretending to be who he was not. “Don’t worry; I’m already studying to become a chartered banker. I’m taking the professional courses and exams and I will soon become qualified,” he had enthused.

He never became one. To make matters worse, he had been laid off when the bank was downsizing. The downturn in the economy had forced the bank to take some drastic measures. After Paul lost the job, things became difficult. They had to rely mainly on the proceeds from the foodstuff that she sold in the local market.

Now, another man reminded her about proclaimed love. Chucks was one of about three men that were disturbing her, but he was obviously the most recalcitrant. The first man backed off after her bluff. The second man had persisted a bit but soon became wearied. For Chucks, he had pursued the matter as if a lot was at stake. Months after his persistence, she gave in. Weeks after she and Chucks became secret lovers, she decided to make the affair an open one. That evening, she scrawled a note to inform Paul that she had left him for good. Take care of Jane and
Mary, the children, she had added, almost as an afterthought.

(to be continued)

1 Like

Re: Stories That Ginger The Hearts by Janet96(f): 5:15pm On Jan 10, 2021
Continue
Re: Stories That Ginger The Hearts by DivineDynamics: 8:21pm On Jan 11, 2021
He never became one. To make matters worse, he had been laid off when the bank was downsizing. The downturn in the economy had forced the bank to take some drastic measures. After Paul lost the job, things became difficult. They had to rely mainly on the proceeds from the foodstuff that she sold in the local market.

Now, another man reminded her about proclaimed love. Chucks was one of about three men that were disturbing her, but he was obviously the most recalcitrant. The first man backed off after her bluff. The second man had persisted a bit but soon became wearied. For Chucks, he had pursued the matter as if a lot was at stake. Months after his persistence, she gave in. Weeks after she and Chucks became secret lovers, she decided to make the affair an open one. That evening, she scrawled a note to inform Paul that she had left him for good. Take care of Jane and Mary, the children, she had added, almost as an afterthought.

That was four months ago. Since then, she had been living with Chucks who, so far, had been treating her like somebody special.

The opening of the door brought Maggie to the present.

'Hello, darling,' Chucks greeted with a slur, as soon as he stepped inside the sitting room. His steps were unsteady, his face flushed.

'Oh, darling, welcome,' she replied and hugged him.

The slight kiss was meant to be sweet, but it turned out to be sour. The puff of whiskey was so pungent that Maggie nearly recoiled. He made his unsteady way to the three-seater and flopped on it.

'My God, you are drunk, ' she muttered.

He did not answer her. Rather, he sighed and relaxed on the seat.

'What happened, dear. Why are you so, so drunk like this?'

'Look, I'm tired,' he muttered and closed his eyes.

Maggie was nonplussed. She had never seen him in this condition before. Occasionally, he would go out for drinks, but he always came home
sober. This night was totally different.

She was still looking at him intently. 'But… What happened? What...?'

She stopped and looked at him closely. He was already asleep! She shook him to arouse him, but he only mumbled incoherently. Soon, he was
snoring.

Maggie slept alone in the bedroom that night. Needless to say that she was disenchanted with him and his action. How could he do that? How could he be so drunk that he was barely coherent? He could not even eat the food she had prepared for him. After all the efforts!

At five o clock the following morning, she had to go and wake him. He was still sleeping off, still snoring and still dreaming of whatever.

"Chucks, Chucks, wake up. Today is Friday. Are you not going to work?'

He opened his eyes and looked at her dreamily.

'Are you not going to work? Is it not time you start preparing?'

He yawned and rubbed his eyes. He finally stood and made for the toilet. Maggie watched him as he had his bath and dressed up. She was
debating in her mind whether to ask him about the previous night or to wait till he returned from work. After a while, she decided to ask him.

'Chucks, why were you so drunk last night?' She finally blurted out.

He was rubbing his body with a body lotion and he pretended not to have heard her.

'Chucks, I'm talking to you. Why were so drunk last night?'

'I wasn't drunk,' he muttered, his face expressionless.

'Of course, you were. You slept off as soon as you came.'

'I was only tired,' he explained.

Maggie chuckled. She looked at him and she could read lie all over his face. She however decided not to probe further. Perhaps, this was not
the best time for that.

After he had gone to work and she was home alone, she could not help going over the events of the previous night. He had never behaved
like that before. That morning, he appeared to be so aloof. Even his answers to her questions were curt, besides the fact they were untruthful.
Well, maybe he was in a bad mood, she reasoned to herself. She prepared a light breakfast and set off to her stall where she sold foodstuffs.

That evening, there was another surprise for her. By fifteen minutes to ten o clock, he had not come home. Maggie realized that he had not
even called her since morning. This was unlike him. He always called to ask how things were, to ask if all was well with her and to intimate her of the time he would be coming back home. Sometimes, he would even ask her to prepare one thing or the other for him.

Impulsively, she picked up her phone and tried to call. It was a fanciful phone that cost some money. Chucks had bought it for her and she really appreciated that gesture, though she hardly used most of the features on it.

The number could not be reached. She made two more attempts before she dropped the phone. What could be wrong. Of course, he rarely
kept late nights. The fact was any time that he would be coming home late, he always told her in advance.

When it was ten, she ate her own part of the jellof rice she had prepared. She put his own in the warmer to keep it warm, believing that he
would come in any moment from now.

By quarter after ten, she was becoming agitated. She picked up the phone again and tried his number. It was the same response from the service provider. Then an idea occurred to her. Eddie was the closest friend Chucks had. They even worked in the same bottling company. Surely,
Eddie should know about the movement of his close friend.

Eddie picked his call after the second ringing. His friendly tone was pleasant to hear, as usual, but Maggie was not in a pleasant mood.

'I've not seen Chucks,' she went straight to the point. 'Is he there with you?'

'No o. We parted since we left office at four o clock.'

Maggie's heart sank. 'He has not come home. Where could he be?'

'I thought he would be coming home straight. He didn't tell me he would be going anywhere.'

( to be concluded)
Re: Stories That Ginger The Hearts by DivineDynamics: 6:54am On Jan 13, 2021
Eddie picked his call after the second ringing. His friendly tone was pleasant to hear, as usual, but Maggie was not in a pleasant mood.

'I've not seen Chucks,' she went straight to the point. 'Is he there with you?'

'No o. We parted since we left office at four o clock.'

Maggie's heart sank. 'He has not come home. Where could he be?'

'I thought he would be coming home straight. He didn't tell me he would be going anywhere.'

Eddie had tried his best to assure her that she should not worry. It might be due to the terrible, unpredictable Lagos traffic, he had argued. It might also be that Chucks had decided to have a couple of drink somewhere. It was no unusual of him in deciding to have drinks, Eddie had pointed out. Maggie had thanked him. In spite of trying to take things calmly, she could not help but wonder what could be amiss with Chucks.

She sat on one of the single seat in the sitting room and was wondering what should be her next line of action when he suddenly came in.

Maggie jumped to her feet.

'Chucks!' she exclaimed in anxiety.

He was full of smiles. Obviously, he had been having a good time, oblivious of anyone worrying about him. There was no evidence of any
mishap on him. On the contrary, he looked relaxed and contended. Perched to his left side was a pretty and petite lady.

'Where have you been?' Maggie asked, her concern evident..

'I've been having a swell time with my lover girl,' he answered coolly and tapped the shoulder of the lady by his side.

Maggie seemed to notice the other lady for the first time. She was quite younger and it appeared she had been a long-time lover of his. She
smiled and regarded Maggie the way you would regard a nauseating mouse.

'And... who is this?' Maggie asked, dazed and feeling that she must be having a nightmare.

'Is she the woman you talked about?' the petite one interjected, contempt in her voice.

'Yes, darling,' Chucks answered her.

The tears came to Maggie’s eyes involuntarily.

She was too shocked to say anything further. She watched as they played the perfect lovers, smooching, kissing and all that, to her chagrin
and consternation.. She could not believe her eyes. It was already late in the night. The following morning, she must park out. But where would she go? Go back to Paul? Would he even take her back? But where else would she go or what else would she do?

She was made to sleep in the sitting room. Where she was, she could hear their chatters, giggles. and laughter. It was a terrible moment for. She hardly slept till day break. By dawn, she had already packed her things. She would go and would never come back.

As she walked down the street, her mind was troubled. She still did not have a destination in mind. Two houses away from Chuck's was a
small church. They were having a special service that morning. She paused a bit. Then, without further prodding, she entered the sanctuary.

(Concluded)

Maggie did the right thing by going to the body of Christ for a solution. Are you at a crisis point in life? Human efforts always fail. Human promises cannot be relied upon. Take your challenge to God and He will unburden you.

Peace.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stories That Ginger The Hearts by FairCritic(m): 5:43pm On Jan 14, 2021
Nice story
Re: Stories That Ginger The Hearts by Janet96(f): 9:19pm On Jan 16, 2021
Yes, Christ is the solution to the problems of life.
Re: Stories That Ginger The Hearts by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 12:02am On Jan 19, 2021
Interesting to read
Re: Stories That Ginger The Hearts by DivineDynamics: 9:41pm On Jan 27, 2021
WITH FULL PERMISSION FROM THE WRITER, THIS STORY IS RECAPTURED HERE

CAPTIVES OF LUST

Funmi is a wife of a rich business mogul. She has everything going on well in her life. The appearance of Nancy on the scene threatens to sweep Funmi’s husband away and to destroy everything Funmi has labored for. She will not take this. She is prepared to go to any length to fight for what she believes is hers, including street fighting.

However, the fight goes beyond the physical, and thankfully, she soon realizes this. As for the man, he too realizes that the affair with the other lady is nothing other than an experience of captivity.

The big store had assorted goods - both local and exotic. Nancy was happy she had more than enough options to make. She selected the items she had planned to buy. She must not forget the perfumes and wines.

As it was Saturday morning, the place was bristling with customers. The weather was good and was an encouraging factor to outdoor activities. There was no better time for shopping, too.

She went to the counter to pay for her items. She would be paying through the POS today. The lady that took the payments smiled
perfunctorily at her. Nancy smiled back. A small queue was already forming behind her. She took her two bags containing her purchases and
moved to the exit.

Another smile awaited her at the exit door. In addition, the security attendant touched the peak of his cap in salutation. His crisp uniform
reminded her of military officers. Nancy waved and moved on.

It was just eleven in the morning, but the sun had come out in full force. African sun is never shy about radiance. It was already blazing like
one eager to display its sheeny splendor. Nancy put on her sunglasses and moved briskly to her car in the lot.

She opened the boot of the Toyota. The car still looked and smelled new. She became its proud owner some months back, when it was gifted
by someone close to her heart. Nancy had been glad about the generous gesture. Was there a lady that would not be?

She was still arranging the bags in the booth when a hand tapped her shoulders from behind. She turned to look.

'Are you not Nancy?' The woman's voice was imperative. The expression was more assertive than inquisitive. Behind her was a man who
dressed like a chauffeur.

She was on the plump side and looked like someone who had a good life and who would stop at nothing to get what she desired. She was in t-shirt and jeans trousers, which appeared tight for her voluptuous thighs.

There was something impetuous about the way she talked.

'Yes. Can I help you?' Nancy's answer was short and expectant.

The plump woman shook her head. 'You're the one that needs help. You are the one to help yourself. I just came to warn you. I want to warn
you to desist from going out with my husband.'

Nancy looked shocked. 'Who're you, and what're you talking about?'

'Don't you pretend with me.' The strange woman's voice had gone up. Still, it looked like she would gladly increase the tempo. 'I'm warning you to stop your prostitution with Biyi. Why are you going out with him? Don't you know he is happily married? Look at you. You're just a common prostitute! A LovePeddler! A useless LovePeddler!'

It was obvious the woman was ready for trouble. Nancy decided not say anything further. She closed the boot of the car and moved towards
the door.

The woman followed her. 'I've only come today to warn you.' The agitation in her voice was unmistakable. 'Next time, I won't be so nice with you. You should be ashamed of yourself. Just look at you. What did he see in you self? What is special about you?'

Nancy remained mute. She opened the right , front door of the car.

'Just look at her! Shameless idiot! Can't you look for your own man?!'

The woman grabbed Nancy's top before she could enter the car and tore it. Her movements were as swift as a combatant. Not satisfied, she grabbed the strap of Nancy's bra and pulled.

Nancy was shocked, to say the least. With her left hand, she held on to her bra while the right hand fended off any further attack.

'What! Are you crazy? What is this?' Nancy was perplexed. Her disbelief was without bound.

'You're the one that is crazy.' Now, the woman was bawling. 'Let us see those yeye things you have on your chest! Those tiny things you call
breasts!'

She was really ready to create a scene. The uniformed man that had accompanied her did not say or do anything. He was just looking on as
if he was there as an observer.

Two or three people moved close to them to see what was going on.

'Just look at her!' The woman continued to yell. 'Useless lady. Go and look for your own man. Stop running after married men.'

One of the security men manning the complex was moving towards them fast.

'Madam, what is the problem?' The security man looked ruffled as if the scene was abominable.

''It is this useless lady.' The plump woman's reply was swift. 'This ashewo lady.'

The woman tugged at the strap more and succeeded in pulling the left cup off, but Nancy was able to pull the clothing back fast to cover her chest.

'Just look at her! See her useless tits!' The aggressor was gleeful.

'Madam, leave me o. Ah, what kind of nonsense is this?' Nancy wouldn't have anticipated the great embarrassment, even in her dream. She
had heard of things like this before. In Lagos, such an incident was not unheard of. But she couldn't have imagined that she would be at the receiving end.

The few people around did not make any move to broker peace, save for the security guy.

As a matter of fact, the last action was to their delight. They looked on as if they were watching a premiere from Nollywood, Nigeria's version of Hollywood.

'No, you can't do that, madam.' There was concern and urgency in the tone of the security man. He held the aggressor and tried to restrain her from further attack.

The woman's hold on Nancy slackened. That gave Nancy the leverage. Still on the defensive, she dashed inside the car, slammed the door shut and kicked the engine into life.

She reversed out of the park and gunned the car away from the shopping complex. The woman was still shouting after her as she drove away.

(To be continued)

The book is already published and is available for on: https://m.okadabooks.com/book/about/captives_of_lust/25567
Re: Stories That Ginger The Hearts by Janet96(f): 2:34pm On Jan 29, 2021
Interesting story
Re: Stories That Ginger The Hearts by DivineDynamics: 7:03am On Jan 30, 2021
She reversed out of the park and gunned it away from the shopping complex. The woman was still shouting after her as she drove away.

Oh Lord! What an embarrassment! The woman tore her cloth and the top underwear! That was a big embarrassment! Nancy had never been so embarrassed before. That woman must be crazy. Really crazy!

She was on the defensive throughout the encounter. She chose to be. For a woman like that, it would be foolish to start an argument or a fight. She actually looked ready for any combat. How aggressive!

But how did the woman trace her to the shopping plaza? How did she come to know about her?

Truly, she was having an affair with Biyi Osho, the city guy with money to throw around. Nancy had been having a sizzling relationship with the man for over six months now, and there had been no problem.

Until now.

She never knew Biyi had an extremely jealous and cantankerous wife. And he never even hinted her.

Ops!

That plump woman was a terrible one. With a woman like that, Nancy reasoned, why would a man not seek desires outside?

Even as she watched Nancy hurriedly drive out of the parking space, Funmi was satisfied with herself. Surely she had given the lady the jolt of her life. It was good for her, Funmi decided. All these ladies that would not leave married men alone deserved whatever ill treatment they received.

Funmi and her personal driver returned to her jeep, parked some few cars away from where Nancy had parked her car.

'That was good for her.' It was a monologue Funmi had to make to vindicate her actions. ' Next time, she will say no to him. Useless ashewo woman.'

She hissed as she sat at the back seat of the car.

Turo, the chauffeur, slid to the driver's seat and brought the engine to life. Her had learnt not to interfere in whatever the madam had set out to do.

'Where are we going now, madam?' There was a hint of timidity from the man.

Funmi sighed and hissed again. 'Did you see how she looked?'

She was still agitated and was yet to get Nancy's matter from her mind.

'The lady looked like kpanla fish. She's a stupid ashewo. I wish I had completely removed her bra to show the world the useless things she had on her chest.'

Turo did not say anything. What could he say? He engaged the gear and slowly moved the car out of the complex.

'We're going back home.' She had made enough trouble for a day.

Turo nodded. 'Yes, madam.'

When Nancy got to her apartment at off Abiola crescent, Ikeja, she had to ensure that no one was outside the building before she ventured out of the car. She didn't even take the things she had bought from the boot of the car. Those things could wait. She didn't want anyone to see her torn top and quarter nudeness.

She went straight to her apartment. The warm interior welcomed her. She changed her underwear and the top. She had decided to keep those clothing and to show Biyi how uncivil his wife was.

She regained some of her confidence after she had changed cloths. Her mind was busy as she replayed the nasty experience at the shopping plaza in her mind. If Biyi's wife thought she could intimidate and bully her to stay off the man, then she was making a very big mistake.

Nancy had met him at a fashion show some months ago. She was there as a guest, just as he was. Biyi was a known person in Lagos social scene. He had made marks in hotel and tourism industry, and Nancy had expressed delight at meeting him one on one during the event. She had introduced herself as a blogger with an eye for the entertainment industry.

That was how they met. He got her number and promised to call. Indeed, he fulfilled his promise the following day. He had invited her for lunch in a highbrow restaurant.

She had obliged and that was that. Since then, the relationship had blossomed. Biyi had proved to be generous. Apart from the numerous designer wears, he got her a brand new Toyota car.

Nancy had hugged him and had told him he was the best lover in the world. He was always going on business trips, within the country, within the West Africa sub-region, and even intercontinentally.
Re: Stories That Ginger The Hearts by FairCritic(m): 6:43pm On Jan 30, 2021
Nice
Re: Stories That Ginger The Hearts by DivineDynamics: 5:29am On Feb 02, 2021
She had obliged and that was that. Since then, the relationship had blossomed. Biyi had proved to be generous. Apart from the numerous designer wears, he got her a brand new Toyota car.

Nancy had hugged him and had told him he was the best lover in the world. He was always going on business trips, within the country, within the West Africa sub-region, and even inter-continentally.

There was a time he had taken her to Port Harcourt. They were there for almost a week. The same thing happened when they traveled to
Abuja and Abidjan. The next trip he would probably ask her to come along would be to Dubai.

She was having a good time. She had been savoring the relationship. Now, his wife was becoming a big stumbling block. No way, she would
not allow herself to be cowed.

Presently he was out of Lagos. Two days ago, he had informed her that he would be travelling to Jos, a city several hundreds of kilometers
away from Lagos. Nancy decided to call him.

'Hello my dear.' As usual, there was a boom in his over the line. Even from afar, one could discern his bohemian nature.

'Hello.' Her response was cool and distant.

'How are you? You don't sound excited.'

'I'm not. I'm not happy either.'

'What happened?'

'It's your wife. Why didn't you tell me you are married to a wrestling champion?'

'What d'you mean, a wrestling champion? What happened?'

She paused briefly. 'If you know what my eyes see today, you'll feel sorry for me. She trailed me to the shopping plaza at Maryland. As soon
as I came out after shopping, she accosted me. In a twinkle of an eye, she pounced on me. She slapped me and tore my top and bra. In full
public glare, your wife really embarrassed and ridiculed me.'

He was surprised. 'Unbelievable! You mean she did all that to you?'

'Yes. With a threat to do worse if I don't leave you alone.'

'Ehn, ehn. It's unbelievable that Funmi would do that.'

'She really spoilt my day today.'

'I'm sorry to hear that. Please just take everything cool. By tomorrow, I'll be back in Lagos. I promise you I'll do something about it.'

That was what she wanted to hear. 'Yes o. Please, do something.'

You can get the full story on: https://m.okadabooks.com/book/about/captives_of_lust/25567
Re: Stories That Ginger The Hearts by LoveToRead: 5:59pm On Feb 02, 2021
Nice story
Re: Stories That Ginger The Hearts by SolaRaphael: 4:08pm On Feb 07, 2021
Cool story
Re: Stories That Ginger The Hearts by DivineDynamics: 5:42pm On Feb 13, 2021
When Funmi got to the house, she went upstairs to her room. The large bedroom was big enough to have lounging chairs and a big flat screen. She used to share the place with her husband before, but in the last one year or so, he had opted to have his own separate bedroom.

She dropped her bag on the bed and flopped on it. She sighed to herself as she went over the encounter with Nancy in her mind. Funmi had got to know about her through Leke, her husband's driver. With money as the inducement, Leke had revealed the latest catch of his boss, her name, the residence and some other personal details of Nancy. That very Saturday morning, Funmi had instructed her own driver to take her to

Nancy's house for a show down. Funmi's car was just parking by the gate, when the gate was opened wide and Nancy drove out. Funmi was sure Nancy was the one behind the wheel as the face matched the pictures she had been given.

She had asked Turo to go after the car. They trailed the car to the Maryland plaza. Funmi decided to bid her time and to accost Nancy only
after the latter had bought what she wanted to buy.

They had not waited for too long. With her eyes glued to the exit of the plaza, she saw Nancy as she jauntily moved to her car.

Despite the fact that she now put on sunglasses, Funmi was sure she was the one. The latter had gone to her parked car. With no time to waste, Funmi had moved towards the Toyota car.

Funmi sighed again and brought her phone out. She flipped to the pictures and stared at Nancy's photos. The lady looked slim and beautiful.

This was the lady (or was she one of the ladies?) distracting Biyi.

Funmi looked closely at the lady again, as she had done several times before. Nancy should be in her early thirties. Funmi tried to go back the
memory lane when she was about Nancy's age. She too was slim and beautiful. Years of marriage and matronly life had blossomed her to what she was.

At forty-two and married for over thirteen years, Funmi had certainly gone through a lot of transformations, from the attractive, slim gal to plump, though attractive woman. She had three children, the eldest being thirteen. She and Biyi had come a long way.

She stood up from the bed and went to the adjoining bathroom and toilet. There was a giant mirror there. She stared at her reflection. She was still beautiful, she decided. The problem was the plumpness.

Could it be that Biyi was losing interest in her because of her being fat? He had not really complained that she was on the fat side, but that wouldn't mean he was still besotted to her looks, as he used to be.

Maybe she should try to slim down and go back to the attractive, slim lady she was before her marriage. Maybe that would make him stop the affairs he was having outside and he would look inward again.

But why did men behave that way? Why must he turn against fidelity, all because his wife had become fat? Why couldn't he remain faithful to his wife, whether she remained slim or had grown fat? Was the marriage not supposed to be for better or for worse; in slimness or in fatness?

She climbed the weighing scale. The device read 92 kilograms. Gosh, that was on the heavy side. She was almost the double of her weight as a maiden. She was heavy now, no doubt, and she must do something about it.

She would have to watch her diet, first and foremost. All those fatty food, those fried chickens and calories must be cut down. Then, she would buy some exercise kits to get a better shape.

That very afternoon, Funmi went to buy some keep-fit kits, including a stationary bike. It was to show how serious she was. She was determined more than ever to bring the old Funmi back.

READ THE FULL STORY AT: https://m.okadabooks.com/book/about/captives_of_lust/25567
Re: Stories That Ginger The Hearts by FairCritic(m): 6:29pm On Feb 14, 2021
Nice update
Re: Stories That Ginger The Hearts by DivineDynamics: 4:39am On Feb 16, 2021
She climbed the weighing scale. The device read 92 kilograms. Gosh, that was on the heavy side. She was almost the double of her weight as a maiden. She was heavy now, no doubt, and she must do something about it.

She would have to watch her diet, first and foremost. All those fatty food, those fried chickens and calories must be cut down. Then, she would buy some exercise kits to get a better shape.

That very afternoon, Funmi went to buy some keep-fit kits, including a stationary bike. It was to show how serious she was. She was determined more than ever to bring the old Funmi back.

The plane hovered in the sky. It was time for landing. His seat belts, like the other passengers, were fastened. Biyi awaited the landing and the disembarkation. It had been another successful trip and he thanked God for it.

'Thank you for your patronage, sir. We look forward to seeing you on the next flight.' The soft voice of the air hostess - the one that had served him during the Jos-Lagos flight - said, as he moved to the exit of the plane.

Biyi nodded and smiled at her. Outside the plane, the hot air hit his face as he descended the disembarkation ladder. Biyi moved swiftly towards the arrival hall, his brief case clutched in his right hand.

Tony, his personal assistant who had been standing by and waiting for him in the last half hour, came to meet him.

'You're welcome, sir.' Tony curtsied. 'I hope you had a nice flight, sir.'

'Thanks, Tony. How are you?'

'Fine, sir.'

Tony relieved him of the briefcase and led him outside the building to the car park. Leke, the driver who loitered around the park, quickly went to the car and stepped inside it as he saw them approaching.

'You're welcome, oga,.' Leke made an obeisance and showed his near brownish teeth in a smile.

'Thank you.' The boss settled down comfortably in the back seat, while Tony took the front seat.

'Take me to the guest house,' Biyi instructed the driver.

'Yes, sir.' Leke fastened his seat belts and brought the car engine to life.

He already knew the particular guest house his boss was referring to.

'Give me the latest gist from the office.' Biyi brought out a newspaper. He would combine scanning through with listening to Tony.

As his PA, it behoved of Tony to be at breast of whatever development was happening in the office in the absence of his boss. Tony did what he was asked to do.

Biyi listened without a word. When the former was through, he nodded and brought out his phone.

'Hello, how're you?' His voice was exuberant over the line.

'Hello, darling.'

'I'm back in Lagos. Let's meet at the guest house.'

'Okay, dear.'

He turned to Tony. 'You can drop off at the next bus station and go back to the office. I won't be coming to the place today. I need to relax.'

READ FULL STORY FROM: https://m.okadabooks.com/book/about/captives_of_lust/25567
Re: Stories That Ginger The Hearts by Janet96(f): 6:46am On Feb 17, 2021
Thanks for the update
Re: Stories That Ginger The Hearts by DivineDynamics: 6:32pm On Feb 20, 2021
Tony took the front seat.

'Take me to the guest house,' Biyi instructed the driver.

'Yes, sir.' Leke fastened his seat belts and brought the car engine to life.

He already knew the particular guest house his boss was referring to.

'Give me the latest gist from the office.' Biyi brought out a newspaper. He would combine scanning through with listening to Tony.

As his PA, it behoved of Tony to be at breast of whatever development was happening in the office in the absence of his boss. Tony did what he was asked to do.

Biyi listened without a word. When the former was through, he nodded and brought out his phone.

'Hello, how're you?' His voice was exuberant over the line.

'Hello, darling.'

'I'm back in Lagos. Let's meet at the guest house.'

'Okay, dear.'

He turned to Tony. 'You can drop off at the next bus station and go back to the office. I won't be coming to the place today. I need to relax.'

'Yes, sir.'

'We'll be seeing tomorrow. Take care.'

'Yes, sir.'

A minute later, Tony alighted from the car. Another five minutes after that, Biyi was driven to the guest house. He went straight to his suite, the one he had perpetually kept for himself. Leke, the driver would wait in the car. To ease his boredom, Biyi ordered that some snacks and drinks be served to the driver.

Biyi went in and relaxed on one of the lounging chairs, while waiting for his companion. A call came in. It was a business call from Cheng, a Chinese partner.

'Don't worry.' Biyi spoke reassuringly. 'I'll be in the office tomorrow morning. Come around to the office tomorrow, and we'll talk.'

Not long after he disconnected the line, the intercom came alive.

'Miss Nancy is around to see you, sir,' the receptionist informed.

'Yeah, tell her to come to my suite, right away.'

About a minute later, Nancy came in. She came to hug him where he was sitting.

'I miss you.' Her voice was cool and alluring.

'How's everything?' He smiled at her. 'Now, don't bother to answer. I can see that you look chic.'

She smiled too. 'Thank you.'

She sat by his side and rubbed his thigh.

'How was your trip?'

He smiled broadly. 'It was very successful. All went well.'

He ordered for drinks and pepper soup. They chatted as they took their delicacies and drinks.

'I don't like the way your wife harassed me days ago,' she began. 'If you see the kind of insults she gave me. Not only that, she slapped me and tore my clothes into shreds.' She felt the overstatement was necessary.

'Yes, you said so the other time.' He looked hard and frowned. 'It's very hard to believe she would do that. Are you indeed sure she did all that?'

Nancy made a face. 'So, you don't believe me. Are you saying I'm lying?'

Biyi smiled and wrapped his left hand of her shoulders. 'I'm not saying you're lying. It's just that I find it difficult that she would go to that
extent of fighting you. Something must have gone over her.'

She sighed. 'Don't worry, when you come to my house, I'll show my clothes that she tore. I have the evidence at home.'

'Sorry about it. I'll say you should not worry, I'll make it up to you. For her part, I know what to do.'

She made a hurtful look. 'Just imagine the embarrassment she gave me. And I was only on the defensive that day. If I had done my own back, it wouldn't be funny at all.'

'It's okay. You did the right thing by not fighting back. As I said, don't worry. I'm going to compensate you.'

He kissed her briefly in a patronizing way. 'Now, let's forget that. Come and sit right here on my lap and let me show you how much I've missed you.'

Nana walked up to the customer that was looking at the exotic nightgowns, probably wondering which to select.

'Can I help you?' Nana offered. 'D'you have any problem about making a choice?'

The customer turned to look at her. 'Well, I'm just wondering about which is sexier between this gown and that one.'

Nana smiled at her. It was one of her tasks as the shop manager to assist customers in making a choice.

She looked at the woman well, as if she was studying her. Then, she looked at the gowns.

'This one is very good for you.' She grinned and pointed at the pink one.

The woman nodded as if she agreed. She chose the recommended one and went on to pick some other clothing items.

Nana went back to her small table from where she could see the entrance/exit door.

The cashier took stocks of what the woman had bought, calculated the prices, received the payments and issued a receipt.

'Thank you, sister,' the woman told Nana as she departed.

'It's a pleasure, madam.' Nana smiled in return.

Nana enjoyed her job, but it was not easy working for Madam Funmi Osho. The madam hardly came around, but anytime she did, one could
easily feel the tension as she would likely fret over one thing or the other.

For about two years now, Nana had been working at BestItems store. The store specialized in wears for all sexes and ages, from trendy formal wears to glamorous, casual wears.

Nana was hardworking and honest. The madam must have noticed this and had tried to reward her diligence.

When it was six p.m., the shop closed for the day. She kept the proceeds where she normally kept them and locked the door. She would be going to the bank the following morning to make some cash deposits.

She went to the bus stop to take a bus going to Ojota. From there, she would take another bus to Ketu. All things being equal, she should be at home by seven p.m.

She alighted from the bus at Tipper garage bus stop. Her home was at Ogunbanwo street. She moved smartly down the road. She had decided to cook yam porridge this night. She changed to a casual wear and went to the kitchen. There were some yams remaining there.

She also had all the ingredients she would use in the deep freezer. As usual, she would make the meal be delicious, spicing it with beef, fish
and shrimps.

Nana lived with her live-in-lover, Ade in the two-bedroom apartment. For the past three years, they had been together, living like mister and missus. Even the neighbours thought they were already married.

Ade claimed he loved her and was really to spend the rest of his life with her. Nana had no doubt on her part that she was in love. So, why couldn't they make the nuptial tie once and for all? He was in his late thirties while she was approaching mid-thirties. Age was not on her side.

So, why the delay?

The answer was simple. Ade gave a condition that what would eventually lead to holy matrimony was if she could become pregnant for him. That was the condition: produce a baby and there would be a trip to the altar.

Read more from: https://m.okadabooks.com/book/about/captives_of_lust/25567
Re: Stories That Ginger The Hearts by FairCritic(m): 2:27pm On Feb 21, 2021
Nice update
Re: Stories That Ginger The Hearts by FairCritic(m): 7:57pm On Jul 29, 2022
Go on.

(1) (Reply)

Half And Half Story 4 / The Story Of My Life(true Life Story) / Cell One (A Short Story) - By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 167
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.