Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:29 PM

Finally, It's Done - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Finally, It's Done (515 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Finally, It's Done by codeigniter(m): 9:25am On Jan 08, 2021
Some of you guys knows that I started a web development project title Africonn last year from scratch which is very rare cos I could have gotten a script or something already made. It took a while but I sure do enjoy it, this during this I learnt this hard truth about programming that I would like to share.

2. Programming may be fun at the beginning when u start learning these stuffs but the moment u started getting paid to code it become an horror, an act that lead to a very depressing life cos
I) no matter how fast learning you are the deeper u go the more u will need to learn, there is really no end to learning this things which can land u to tutorial hell, imposter's syndrome, burnout and other programming self taught maladies.

II) I learnt that things are not as Rosy people taught the industry was, if u see a job of 250k, d person who will eventually get d job might be eventually paid 100k, why? oversaturation, some experience people are willing to short pay themselves to get job and employer do take advantage of this.

III) YouTube made the programming market worse, people like cleverprogrammer made it seems like when u know how to program ur financial problem is over, in fact u are just getting started, shey u fit invert a binary tree. The deeper u go the more u get trapped by imposter's syndrome, this guys are cashing out massively from a this motivation + programming stuff.

2. Don't do startup. I will keep dis short, if ur idea is not going to start generating u cash as soon as u acquire ur first customer don't do it.

3. Burnout is very much real, when I was making the site I think like hell, On the way to get a feature done and then how to optimize it, all this tasks are brain juice demanding. Yeah but u might say why not do other things, yeah u can try other things by why doing that ur subconscious mind is going to be solving d problem u abandon and everynow and then u will come of with solutions that will try to take you back to ur work space

4. Learn design patterns and user story planning, at least it will make you code organize and u won't spend minutes looking for files u want to debug

5) finally learn new tools that will make ur work easier, don't get stuck any high level tool, framework or library. Use or learn what u need.

I will emphasis this if u are an experience dev don't start a project from scratch and forget optimizing until the soup is cooked. There are a lot more but this are the things I thought could be of help to other people

I created this survey/polls to know whether burnout had to do with experience

https://www.africonn.com/polls/poll/?title=How-old-are-you-in-tech-and-have-you-got-to-the-verge-of-quitting-due-to-stress&value=6

Check out the site and sign up www.africonn.com

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally, It's Done by Karleb(m): 10:50am On Jan 08, 2021
These are your experiences. I'm very sure other people might have something slightly or entirely different from this.

My own take is, the idea of building everything from scratch isn't the best. There are various boilerplates, frameworks and libraries that helps speed up software development processes.

Take for instance, there is a free Laravel package that generates codes. All you need is to set up its configuration and run it's artisan commands.
It'll generate model, model relationships, migration, factories, view, tests, controller and actions and lots more.
I'm pretty sure Django has something like that.

There so many tools like these, some aren't free though.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Finally, It's Done by codeigniter(m): 11:05pm On Jan 08, 2021
Karleb:
These are your experiences. I'm very sure other people might have something slightly or entirely different from this.

My own take is, the idea of building everything from scratch isn't the best. There are various boilerplates, frameworks and libraries that helps speed up software development processes.

Take for instance, there is a free Laravel package that generates codes. All you need is to set up its configuration and run it's artisan commands.
It'll generate model, model relationships, migration, factories, view, tests, controller and actions and lots more.
I'm pretty sure Django has something like that.

There so many tools like these, some aren't free though.

Yes of course, all this high level web framework are inspired by Ruby on rails, even with that writing it is not an easy task to write complex apps. Do u write Ruby? I would like to have chat with u. I will send u a mail, pls respond with ur WhatsApp no, thanks
Re: Finally, It's Done by Anonime1105(m): 8:40am On Jan 09, 2021
Re: Finally, It's Done by stanliwise(m): 1:05pm On Jan 09, 2021
codeigniter:
Some of you guys knows that I started a web development project title Africonn last year from scratch which is very rare cos I could have gotten a script or something already made. It took a while but I sure do enjoy it, this during this I learnt this hard truth about programming that I would like to share.

2. Programming may be fun at the beginning when u start learning these stuffs but the moment u started getting paid to code it become an horror, an act that lead to a very depressing life cos
I) no matter how fast learning you are the deeper u go the more u will need to learn, there is really no end to learning this things which can land u to tutorial hell, imposter's syndrome, burnout and other programming self taught maladies.

II) I learnt that things are not as Rosy people taught the industry was, if u see a job of 250k, d person who will eventually get d job might be eventually paid 100k, why? oversaturation, some experience people are willing to short pay themselves to get job and employer do take advantage of this.

III) YouTube made the programming market worse, people like cleverprogrammer made it seems like when u know how to program ur financial problem is over, in fact u are just getting started, shey u fit invert a binary tree. The deeper u go the more u get trapped by imposter's syndrome, this guys are cashing out massively from a this motivation + programming stuff.

2. Don't do startup. I will keep dis short, if ur idea is not going to start generating u cash as soon as u acquire ur first customer don't do it.

3. Burnout is very much real, when I was making the site I think like hell, On the way to get a feature done and then how to optimize it, all this tasks are brain juice demanding. Yeah but u might say why not do other things, yeah u can try other things by why doing that ur subconscious mind is going to be solving d problem u abandon and everynow and then u will come of with solutions that will try to take you back to ur work space

4. Learn design patterns and user story planning, at least it will make you code organize and u won't spend minutes looking for files u want to debug

5) finally learn new tools that will make ur work easier, don't get stuck any high level tool, framework or library. Use or learn what u need.

I will emphasis this if u are an experience dev don't start a project from scratch and forget optimizing until the soup is cooked. There are a lot more but this are the things I thought could be of help to other people

I created this survey/polls to know whether burnout had to do with experience

https://www.africonn.com/polls/poll/?title=How-old-are-you-in-tech-and-have-you-got-to-the-verge-of-quitting-due-to-stress&value=6

Check out the site and sign up www.africonn.com
I can relate to what you’re talking about, Building task from scratch can become hell before you know it.
And been on a Job can get your feet shaky especially when you are told you are going to be building something that is going to be very critical app e.g a banking payment system. It dawns on you that the success and woes falls on your shoulders. My advice is that having a great team with experienced people who would allow you to fail gracefully and would push you to do the task beyond your ability with shock absorbers incase things got south or you get stuck.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Easy Way To Create A Random Password Generator In Python / Please Help Me Review These Projects ...i Am Adding Them To My Portfolio / Laravel Tutorial PHP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.