Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,764 members, 7,820,669 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:10 PM

Pls Answer If U Are A Bible Scolar - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pls Answer If U Are A Bible Scolar (376 Views)

Masquerade Pictured Holding A Bible And Crucifix / Even As A Bible Reader, You Don't Know These Facts / Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Answer If U Are A Bible Scolar by Uptheante(m): 5:13pm On Jan 08, 2021
When Saul asked the witch at Endor to summon the spirit of Samuel for him & she did. My questions are as follows:

1. Was it actually the spirit of Samuel, a prophet of God that came out or it's a familiar spirit?

2. If it's actually Samuel's spirit, then is it possible for a witch ( a devil's associate) to summon d spirit of God's prophet? Remember that as a prophet of God, his spirit is most likely with God. Then how can a witch summon his spirit from God's presence?

3. If it is actually a familiar spirit ( most likely a demonic spirit acting like Samuel) that she summoned instead of the actual Samuel's spirit then how come the spirit could prophecy accurately what would happen to Saul & his family?

Remember that the spirit spoke to Saul as if he's delivering a message from God (a familiar/demonic spirit can't do that.

Pls if u know the answer, let it flow
Re: Pls Answer If U Are A Bible Scolar by MaxInDHouse(m): 5:21pm On Jan 08, 2021
I am Maximus one of JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES, can i also participate in the discussion? smiley

Uptheante:
When Saul asked the witch at Endor to summon the spirit of Samuel for him & she did. My questions are as follows:

1. Was it actually the spirit of Samuel, a prophet of God that came out or it's a familiar spirit?

2. If it's actually Samuel's spirit, then is it possible for a witch ( a devil's associate) to summon d spirit of God's prophet? Remember that as a prophet of God, his spirit is most likely with God. Then how can a witch summon his spirit from God's presence?

3. If it is actually a familiar spirit ( most likely a demonic spirit acting like Samuel) that she summoned instead of the actual Samuel's spirit then how come the spirit could prophecy accurately what would happen to Saul & his family?

Remember that the spirit spoke to Saul as if he's delivering a message from God (a familiar/demonic spirit can't do that.

Re: Pls Answer If U Are A Bible Scolar by shadeyinka(m): 5:43pm On Jan 08, 2021
Uptheante:

From the scripture, it seem that it was indeed the spirit of Samuel.

Why?
Ordinarily, the witch of Endor would have brought up an impassonating demon who would pretend to be Samuel: but in this case, she got the surprise of her life.

Instead of a demon coming up, GOD allowed Samuel Himself to show up.
1. The witch was surprised to see Samuel
2. The witch was afraid on seeing Samuel
3. The woman knew instantly that the seriousness of the event unfolding could only be if Saul was the stranger

1Sam 28:11-14:
"Then said the woman, Whom shall I bring up to you? And he said, Bring me up Samuel.
And when the woman saw Samuel, she cried with a loud voice: and the woman spoke to Saul, saying, Why have you deceived me? for you are Saul. And the king said to her, Be not afraid: for what saw you?

And the woman said to Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth. And he said to her, What form is he of? And she said, An old man comes up; and he is covered with a mantle. And Saul perceived that it was Samuel, and he stooped with his face to the ground, and bowed himself."

Uptheante:

Even though it was Samuel (as attested by the scripture)
1Sam 28:15:
"And Samuel said to Saul, Why have you disquieted me, to bring me up? And Saul answered, I am sore distressed; ......

It is impossible for the which to have the power to bring up Samuel BUT, God allowed it at that time.

Uptheante:

It wasn't a familiar spirit. It was Samuel Himself: not because of the witch but because of God Himself that this happened.

Those who believe that at death, humans become unconscious will deny this! They will say
1. The Bible is wrong to have used the name Samuel for the spirit that came up
2. That everything that happens wasn't real (just a VISION). In other words what was seen wasn't real but just a mere vision like on the day of transfiguration of Jesus (with Moses and Elijah)

Let's wait and hear what they have to say!

3 Likes

Re: Pls Answer If U Are A Bible Scolar by jesusjnr2020(m): 5:44pm On Jan 08, 2021
It was actually Samuel's spirit but he wasn't yet with God because Jesus had not yet open the door to heaven for the righteous.

He would have probably been in the same place Abraham was where Lazarus was taken to by the angel of God after his death. That I believe was the temporary abode of the righteous persons before Jesus granted them access into heaven by virtue of His death.

Spirits generally even the evil ones know the Truth, just like the demons could tell that Jesus was the Son of God, but it's wrong to get such information from those who use demonic means. That's where Saul erred.

God bless.

1 Like

Re: Pls Answer If U Are A Bible Scolar by BusinessCity: 5:58pm On Jan 08, 2021
What an interesting discussion

Here's proof that it's Samuel that appeared.

Go back and read Samuel didn't prophesy, rather Samuel decreed. Saying. Because you did this and this, this shall happen to you. Notice Samuel is the one of the many prophet like Moses and Elijah too where the scripture says Go's doesn't allow their words to fall down to the earth without He fulfilling what they say.

Samuel decreed and cursed Saul, not even just prophesy.

2. Spirituality obeys principles hence a witch can summon a pastor even in this day and age as long as the witch knows what he's doing. But, summoning the spirit of a righteous is where a witch can stop, what happens after then becomes the after effect of what the righteous does. That's why Samuel was never at anytime under the witch's control. Nope.

3. It was God's desire to exit Saul off the stage and an occasion has to happen for this to happen. Notice, David as of this point has completed his training and mature, hence his trainer was no longer really needed

1 Like

Re: Pls Answer If U Are A Bible Scolar by CodeTemplar: 6:52pm On Jan 08, 2021
It was Samuel indeed.

1 Like

Re: Pls Answer If U Are A Bible Scolar by BusinessCity: 6:56pm On Jan 08, 2021
Let's push this frontpage mods

Lalasticlala
Dominique
Mynd44
Farano
Royalroy
MrKnowItAll
Sissy3
OAM4J
Re: Pls Answer If U Are A Bible Scolar by Sirakj(m): 7:00pm On Jan 08, 2021
jesusjnr2020:
It was actually Samuel's spirit but he wasn't yet with God because Jesus had not yet open the door to heaven for the righteous.

He would have probably been in the same place Abraham was where Lazarus was taken to by the angel of God after his death. That I believe was the temporary abode of the righteous persons before Jesus granted them access into heaven by virtue of His death.

Spirits generally even the evil ones know the Truth, just like the demons could tell that Jesus was the Son of God, but it's wrong to get such information from those who use demonic means. That's where Saul erred.

God bless.
God bless you.

2 Likes

Re: Pls Answer If U Are A Bible Scolar by Sirakj(m): 7:02pm On Jan 08, 2021
God bless you.
BusinessCity:
What an interesting discussion

Here's proof that it's Samuel that appeared.

Go back and read Samuel didn't prophesy, rather Samuel decreed. Saying. Because you did this and this, this shall happen to you. Notice Samuel is the one of the many prophet like Moses and Elijah too where the scripture says Go's doesn't allow their words to fall down to the earth without He fulfilling what they say.

Samuel decreed and cursed Saul, not even just prophesy.

2. Spirituality obeys principles hence a witch can summon a pastor even in this day and age as long as the witch knows what he's doing. But, summoning the spirit of a righteous is where a witch can stop, what happens after then becomes the after effect of what the righteous does. That's why Samuel was never at anytime under the witch's control. Nope.

3. It was God's desire to exit Saul off the stage and an occasion has to happen for this to happen. Notice, David as of this point has completed his training and mature, hence his trainer was no longer really needed

1 Like

Re: Pls Answer If U Are A Bible Scolar by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:04pm On Jan 08, 2021
Cc
MaxInDHouse:

I am Maximus one of JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES, can i also participate in the discussion? smiley
Re: Pls Answer If U Are A Bible Scolar by sonmvayina(m): 7:57pm On Jan 08, 2021
It was the spirit of samuel...it still happens till today. But i guess the purpose of the story was to show thst it is forbidden for the dead to communicate with the living.

In the movie "Gods of Egypt"..Horus made similar declaration .

1 Like

Re: Pls Answer If U Are A Bible Scolar by Ihedinobi3: 9:14pm On Jan 08, 2021
Uptheante:

Hello there.

Good questions.

1. Yes indeed, it was Samuel who came up. The Bible itself reports that it was Samuel who did.

12 When the woman saw Samuel, she cried out with a loud voice. And the woman spoke to Saul, saying, “Why have you deceived me? For you are Saul!”
13 And the king said to her, “Do not be afraid. What did you see?”
And the woman said to Saul, “I saw a spirit ascending out of the earth.”
14 So he said to her, “What is his form?”
And she said, “An old man is coming up, and he is covered with a mantle.” And Saul perceived that it was Samuel, and he stooped with his face to the ground and bowed down.
15 Now Samuel said to Saul, “Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?”
And Saul answered, “I am deeply distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God has departed from me and does not answer me anymore, neither by prophets nor by dreams. Therefore I have called you, that you may reveal to me what I should do.”
16 Then Samuel said: “So why do you ask me, seeing the LORD has departed from you and has become your enemy? 17 And the LORD has done for Himself as He spoke by me. For the LORD has torn the kingdom out of your hand and given it to your neighbor, David. 18 Because you did not obey the voice of the LORD nor execute His fierce wrath upon Amalek, therefore the LORD has done this thing to you this day. 19 Moreover the LORD will also deliver Israel with you into the hand of the Philistines. And tomorrow you and your sons will be with me. The LORD will also deliver the army of Israel into the hand of the Philistines.”
1 Samuel 28:12-19 (NKJV)

As you can see from the above, it is the Bible itself that calls the person that showed up Samuel. The story does not report that either Samuel or the woman identified the spirit in any way. The identification was made by the Bible itself. So, we can be confident that it was indeed Samuel.

2. No, it is not possible for anybody at all to summon a departed spirit. Those who have died are out of the reach of all but God. Only God can confer the right to call anyone out of Hell/Hades/Sheol. Although it is certainly a popular idea that Satan is in Hell and rules over it or some such, he actually has no ability to mess with that part of existence. Satan and his fellow rebel angels actually are afraid of Hell because it also houses a prison for them whenever they violate any of God's ground rules for them (Jude 1:6; 1 Peter 3:19). So, the medium could not summon Samuel. Even if she had the power of Satan himself backing her, she could never have violated the gates of Hades. It doesn't matter if the spirit being summoned is that of a believer or that of an unbeliever: No one can bring anybody up from the dead without God's express authority.

To the other part of your question, departed believers who died before the Cross of Jesus Christ were kept and preserved in Paradise (Luke 16:22; Luke 23:43), a place of rest and communion with God -- also in Hades but separate from the place of Torments where unbelievers who died were and are deposited -- but they did not go into the Presence of the Father in the Third Heaven. This is because their sins were not yet atoned for, although they obviously placed their faith in God's Messiah Who was later to come and make that atonement for them. After He did, the Bible says that He "led captivity captive" (Ephesians 4:8-9; Psalm 68:18 ), that is, He freed them from their "exile" from God and brought them with Him to the Third Heaven. That is where every believer who has died since the Cross is taken now.

3. As has already been said, it was Samuel. But that does not mean that evil spirits cannot make accurate prophecies.

1 “If there arises among you a prophet or a dreamer of dreams, and he gives you a sign or a wonder, 2 and the sign or the wonder comes to pass, of which he spoke to you, saying, ‘Let us go after other gods’—which you have not known—‘and let us serve them,’ 3 you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams, for the LORD your God is testing you to know whether you love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul. 4 You shall walk after the LORD your God and fear Him, and keep His commandments and obey His voice; you shall serve Him and hold fast to Him. 5 But that prophet or that dreamer of dreams shall be put to death, because he has spoken in order to turn you away from the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt and redeemed you from the house of bondage, to entice you from the way in which the LORD your God commanded you to walk. So you shall put away the evil from your midst.
Deuteronomy 13:1-5 (NKJV)

16 Now it happened, as we went to prayer, that a certain slave girl possessed with a spirit of divination met us, who brought her masters much profit by fortune-telling. 17 This girl followed Paul and us, and cried out, saying, “These men are the servants of the Most High God, who proclaim to us the way of salvation.” 18 And this she did for many days.
But Paul, greatly annoyed, turned and said to the spirit, “I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her.” And he came out that very hour. 19 But when her masters saw that their hope of profit was gone, they seized Paul and Silas and dragged them into the marketplace to the authorities.
Acts 16:16-19 (NKJV)

As long as we think that evil spirits are unable to do "genuine" miracles or make "genuine" prophecies, we are going to be susceptible to their deceit. We should listen to what the Bible says and not leave ourselves open to that kind of deception.

Cheers.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pls Answer If U Are A Bible Scolar by olapitan83789: 9:21pm On Jan 08, 2021
It was Samuel indeed.

1 Like

Re: Pls Answer If U Are A Bible Scolar by DappaD: 2:17pm On Jan 12, 2021
Uptheante:

The answer to your question is already in your number 3. Satan and his horde of demons have several tactics and schemes that they use to draw humans into their traps. 2Corinthians 2:11

Those people saying it was the ‘spirit’ of Samuel do not know the actual makeup of humans.
The Bible already makes it clear that man himself is the soul that was made out from the dust of the ground(Genesis 2:7), the ‘spirit’ is the breath of life and not a person. Once this breath of life leaves his body, he(created from dust) returns to the ground and becomes nonexistent. Psalm 146:4

It was already obvious that the Philistines would defeat Israel because Saul no longer had God's backing. 1Samuel 28:1 compare with 1Samuel 15:22,23
Moreover, demons often have the habit of foretelling the future in half-truths. Just like the slave girl who could relate details about Paul and Silas because she had a demon of divination. Acts 16:16,17

1Samuel 28:6 says that God wouldn't answer Saul through the prophets or other means. And there's no way God would subject his prophet to such a diabolical conjuring. Because he stated in his Law to the Israelites that anyone consulting a spirit medium is deserving of death because the person would in fact be communicating with demons. Leviticus 20:6, Deuteronomy 18:10,11

1 Like

Re: Pls Answer If U Are A Bible Scolar by Exmilitant(m): 2:45pm On Jan 12, 2021
Jewish scholars sure did a fine job in copying and pasting events that took place in Chaldean and Egypt in their TANAKH for you to argue on!

(1) (Reply)

The Most Useless Prayer To Pray Is To Pray For 'destiny Helpers.' / What Is Your Christian Mission On Earth? / The Audacity Of Prayer.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.