Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,821 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:34 PM

Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo (6638 Views)

Alassane Ouattara Is The New Chairman Of Ecowas / Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. / World Leaders Back Ouattara As Ivory Coast Poll Winner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by Beaf: 1:37am On Mar 31, 2011
[size=14pt]Ouattara fighters seize I.Coast capital, UN sanctions Gbagbo [/size]
Fran Blandy
March 31, 2011 - 9:49AM .

Forces backing Ivory Coast's recognised president Alassane Ouattara seized the capital Yamoussoukro on Wednesday, while the UN Security Council slapped sanctions on strongman Laurent Gbagbo.

Residents of Yamoussoukro, the country's small political capital, reported scenes of jubilation in the streets, as Ouattara's Republican Forces took control of the city on the third day of an all-out offensive.

"Yamoussoukro is under the control of the Republican Forces, a jubilant crowd is cheering them, they are parading through town," one resident said.

Advertisement: Story continues below

Ouattara's forces were also pushing closer to San Pedro, the world's largest cocoa exporting port.

Meanwhile in New York, the UN Security Council on Wednesday unanimously ordered sanctions against Gbagbo over his refusal to hand over power.

Resolution 1975 made the first explicit call by the 15-nation Security Council for Gbagbo to stand down in favour of Ouattara, who the United Nations and virtually all countries say won a presidential election last November.

A travel ban and assets freeze were ordered against Gbagbo, his wife Simone, and three of his closest associates.

The European Union and United States have already imposed sanctions against Gbagbo and his leadership.

Gbagbo was expected to address the nation Wednesday night amid mounting pressure as Ouattara's forces move towards the economic capital, the coastal city of Abidjan.

Gbagbo has called for a ceasefire, but Ouattara's camp dismissed this as a "diversion".

"It is up to Gbagbo to lay down arms," Ouattara's spokeswoman Anna Ouloto told AFP.

Election-linked violence has left at least 460 people dead with as many as one million fleeing their homes, according to UN agencies.

Weary of failed diplomatic efforts four months after the vote, Ouattara's camp has declared all peaceful solutions "exhausted."

"Gbagbo has only a few hours to leave, otherwise we will march on Abidjan," the country's economic hub, Ouattara's prime minister Guillaume Soro told the France24 news channel.

"It will become a lot more complicated for him," he warned.

In Abidjan, shooting could be heard in several northern suburbs. Panicked citizens rushed to their homes, AFP correspondents reported.

The pro-Ouattara fighters, after seizing the town of Tiebissou earlier in the day, pushed south to Yamoussoukro, home to 150,000 people.

"Everything is okay, the station, the gendarmerie are occupied by the Republican Forces. We no longer see the FDS," a resident said, referring to Gbagbo's Defence and Security Forces.

"We see the Republican Forces circulating in 4X4's across town," a resident told AFP by phone.

Several witnesses said the fighters had left only a small detachment in Yamoussoukro before continuing south towards the coast.

A resident of Toumodi, 50 kilometres (30 miles) south of the capital, reported shooting in the town. Toumodi lies 200 kilometres from Abidjan.

In the past three days Ouattara's fighters have rapidly moved south of a traditional ceasefire line that has split the country in two since 2002.

A failed coup against Gbagbo nine years ago left pro-Ouattara rebels in control of the north and the strongman holding the south.

Also Wednesday, two French police assigned to the French embassy were wounded when pro-Gbagbo forces fired on their car, a foreign ministry spokesman said in Paris, condemning the incident as "unacceptable."

Ally Coulibaly, Ivory Coast's ambassador to France appointed by Ouattara, said his camp controlled "three quarters" of the country.

In Abidjan, thousands of fervent Gbagbo supporters who had been urged to enlist in the army if they were "willing to die for their country" were called up on Wednesday.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/ouattara-fighters-seize-icoast-capital-un-sanctions-gbagbo-20110331-1cgqe.html
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by Beaf: 1:45am On Mar 31, 2011
The rapid advance of the rebels is a repeat of what happened during their civil war. The Outarra's forces now control 75% of the country, the rest should fall later today or tomorrow.

There is a huge lesson in this for the inept Jacob Zuma, who felt he could undermine Nigeria's voice in W.Africa by sending a South African warship to Abidjan to thwart any Ecowas invation plans. Well, well! He forgot that Outarra's forces could be supplied with serious arms (perhaps even more) overnight, now they're kicking serious arse all over Ivory Coast.
Zuma was also forced to swallow his words and take the lead from Nigeria in declaring Outarra the rightful President of the country.

Nice victory for GEJ.
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by Kilode1: 2:00am On Mar 31, 2011
Beaf:

The rapid advance of the rebels is a repeat of what happened during their civil war. The Outarra's forces now control 75% of the country, the rest should fall later today or tomorrow.

There is a huge lesson in this for the inept Jacob Zuma, who felt he could undermine Nigeria's voice in W.Africa by sending a South African warship to Abidjan to thwart any Ecowas invation plans. Well, well! He forgot that Outarra's forces could be supplied with serious arms (perhaps even more) overnight, now they're kicking serious arse all over Ivory Coast.
Zuma was also forced to swallow his words and take the lead from Nigeria in declaring Outarra the rightful President of the country.

Nice victory for GEJ.

Right. That was a dumb move by Zuma. . .

Hopefully this will not become a prolonged civil war. Ivorians need a break from that nonsense.

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/africa/ECOWAS-President-Says-South-Africa-Undermining-Ivory-Coast-Mediation--115634659.html
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by ektbear: 2:13am On Mar 31, 2011
I wasn't even aware of this Zuma stuff. Damn.

What is his problem? He can do what he likes in his own backyard (Southern Africa), but not in ours.
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by Nobody: 2:57am On Mar 31, 2011
There is a huge lesson in this for the inept Jacob Zuma, who felt he could undermine Nigeria's voice in W.Africa by sending a South African warship to Abidjan to thwart any Ecowas invation plans.

South Africa is desperately seeking for attention as a " new power player" in Africa.  However, if it comes down to real action, it does not have the balls to involve itself in a confrontation with a regional power like Nigeria, talk less of the whole region.  Jacob Zuma is enjoying his ride for the moment , because he probably knows that our current Nigerian president is a wimp, and to make matters worst,  he (Jonathan) is currently fighting for his political survival at home, hence Ivory Coast is not on his agenda, I am sure someone like OBJ or Buhari would not tolerate such insults,  the NNS Aradu would have long been stationed on the coast  of Abidjan  - right from the first day ECOWAS contemplated the possible use of military force - for Gbagbo to know that ECOWAS is not bluffing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aradu_(F89)
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by ektbear: 3:01am On Mar 31, 2011
Maple:

South Africa is desperately seeking for attention as a " new power player" in Africa.  However, if it comes down to real action, it does not have the balls to involve itself in a confrontation with a regional power like Nigeria, talk less of the whole region.
This is probably not realistic. SA could certainly defeat Nigeria, and probably all of West Africa minus the Arab states.

Anyway, it wouldn't come to that.
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by Nobody: 3:35am On Mar 31, 2011
This is probably not realistic. SA could certainly defeat Nigeria, and probably all of West Africa minus the Arab states.

You certainly have missed the point,,, A military conflict is not all about might, it has a lot to do with will power.  For instance, we know that US is the strongest military power in the world and it has the might to defeat all the countries in asia put together, but does it have the balls to involve itself in a military conflict with say China as it does other countries? I dont think so, cos the price would be too high, such that it'll amount to a political suicide for any US govt. to even contemplate such madness, especially when its existence or sovereignty is not directly threatened by China.  So, does SA have the balls to risk a military confrontation with Nigeria, over Ivory Coast? I dont think so!
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by Chyz2: 3:49am On Mar 31, 2011
Sad thing is that a lot of you can see that the majority of Ivory Coast are for Gbagbo actually. But i guess Frances only reason of getting involved in the dispute and supplying Ouattara is to provide "humanitarian aide against the Oh so brutal dictator", just like they are doing in Libya. Of course their presence in Libya has nothing to do with French interest in oil just like French involvement in Ivory Coast has nothing to do with oil, cocoa, etc. either. Wake up people, SA has been trying to speak out against bombardment by external forces.
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by Nobody: 3:57am On Mar 31, 2011
Sad thing is that a lot of you can see that the majority of Ivory Coast are for Gbagbo actually.

Mr Gbagbo, is that you? grin
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by Chyz2: 4:00am On Mar 31, 2011
Maple:

Mr Gbagbo, is that you? grin

Yes my son, why not sit down so that we can chop garri well well and drink Lucozade.No let white man dey his eyes for our meat o!
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by EzeUche(m): 4:04am On Mar 31, 2011
Can this be classified as a civil war?
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by ektbear: 4:05am On Mar 31, 2011
@Maple: I don't disagree with you. As I said, "it wouldn't come to that."
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by Chyz2: 4:21am On Mar 31, 2011
EzeUche:

Can this be classified as a civil war?

Not even. Just like libya can't.
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by enyojo(f): 8:50am On Mar 31, 2011
Beaf:

Nice victory for GEJ.

THIS IS THE BEST THING YOU HAVE SAID SINCE THIS YEAR, BEAF
However, it is absolutely wrong for u to give the Credit to Jonathan a Man on whose command the ACN candidate in Akwa-Ibom still remains in Prison to weaken and demoralize his support base. Remember that Gbagbo did not arrest his opponent before Elections. You Unblerra
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by Abagworo(m): 8:57am On Mar 31, 2011
A good lesson for PDP.I expect worse if they refuse to leave after losing this election.

Thank you beaf for the news.
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by enyojo(f): 9:19am On Mar 31, 2011
Akwa Ibom State Governor, Godswill Akpabio has said his refusal to use state funds to finance alledged personal projects of the former minister of state for the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), James Akpanudoedehe, as well as his connivance with his local government chairman to name a road traversing two local government areas without government approval as reasons their once robust relationship turned sour.

“The reality is that this kind of action portends danger and the media is reporting it as if it was a clash between ACN and PDP. When you have a political party that knows it is losing, it carries out all sorts of criminality and we must have the courage to condemn it irrespective of the political leaning we belong to and the kind media we represent. We must condemn it because criminality can happen in any form and anywhere,” the Governor said.

Akpabio however, lauded what he described as prompt intervention of President Goodluck Jonathan and security agencies, adding that it was the insistence that PDP members should not fight back that saved the situation from degenerating to bloody clash. Akpabio pointedly accused the gubernatorial candidate of ACN who is currently standing trial for treason in Abuja, Akpanudoedhe of allegeedly superintending over the destruction of state properties by his party supporters, saying “I want to disabuse our minds that it was a clash between PDP and ACN.”

SO BEAF, YOUR GEJ SENT SECURITY AGENCIES TO WISK AWAY THE ACN CANDIDATE. SUCH A MAN CANNOT BE PRAISED FOR SUPPORTING THE OPPOSITION CANDIDATE IN IVORY COAST.
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by Ibime(m): 9:23am On Mar 31, 2011
Ivory Coast does not need elections. It needs to be divided into North and South.
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by playmode(m): 10:50am On Mar 31, 2011
Please do some research before getting overly sentimental over a non issue. If zuma’s intention was to intervene then he was wrong but we really don’t know what happened. By the way the SAS Drakensberg is not a warship. She is a support vessel, used for example to refuel other ships, logistic support etc. At best, any armament she carries is light, and for defence only. If Ecowas can't even get this fact straight, then they have no hope of clearing up the mess in Cote d'Ivoire.
________________________________________________________________________________________
Here is how the news was reported in SA:

James Victor Gbeho, head of the 15-nation West African bloc which has threatened to use force to oust Ivory Coast strongman Laurent Gbagbo, told journalists “there is a South African warship docked in Cote d’Ivoire.” “Action such as that can only complicate the matter further,” he said.South Africa’s ambassador to Nigeria disputed Gbeho’s reference to the vessel as a warship and said it could serve as a neutral negotiation venue.He said a similar arrangement was used for the Democratic Republic of Congo years back when South Africa mediated.

According to the ambassador, the vessel had initially docked in Ghana, but he said he did not know its current location.“There is nothing amiss about the vessel we sent. It’s just a harmless support vessel,” Kingsley Mamabolo told AFP. “It could be used for evacuation. It’s not meant to go and intervene militarily.“It’s ridiculous for anybody to suspect that South Africa would want to do a thing of that nature,” he said.“We have in the past sent ships (to troubled areas) which are not combat ships, but support ships for various reasons such as a venue for neutral negotiation, or in the event of evacuation.” He said South Africa “in principle has never believed in intervention by force.” “South Africa will never, ever intervene without consulting the regional bloc, in this case ECOWAS, and that we will never do anything that has not been authorised or mandated by the African Union (AU).”

ECOWAS has recognised Gbagbo’s rival Alassane Ouattara as president and demanded that Gbagbo quit power.But the AU has tasked a panel of five heads of state to find a peaceful, binding solution by the end of February.The panel, made up of the leaders of Burkina Faso, Chad, South Africa, Mauritania and Tanzania, sent a team of experts on an exploratory mission to Ivory Coast.

Source: http://www.timeslive.co.za/africa/article901951.ece/SA-criticised-for-sending-warship-to-Ivory-Coast
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

IMO If the leaders in west Africa e.g Jonathan had spent their country’s money wisely and strengthened their naval force maybe they won’t be so scared of an ordinary supply ship. Someone mentioned NNS Aradu, are you for real? How can you compare that rusty old relic to SA’s arsenal.NNS should be cooling off in a naval museum.One South African submarine will sink that Aradu in a second. Don’t even contemplate going to full scale war againt SA, their air power and sea power will send our armed forces in to hiding. The fact is if Zuma did do this intentionally he was wrong but even ecowas knows that it’s combined force cannot match SA’s arsenal and that is a fact. Nigeria’s only effective force is it’s army but with SA’s superior air power the army will be reduced to rubble in a matter of days not weeks.
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by kodewrita(m): 10:59am On Mar 31, 2011
Ibime:

Ivory Coast does not need elections. It needs to be divided into North and South.

the last time someone said this about Nigeria we called him a buffoon and an idiot.

Chyz*:

Sad thing is that a lot of you can see that the majority of Ivory Coast are for Gbagbo actually. But i guess Frances only reason of getting involved in the dispute and supplying Ouattara is to provide "humanitarian aide against the Oh so brutal dictator", just like they are doing in Libya. Of course their presence in Libya has nothing to do with French interest in oil just like French involvement in Ivory Coast has nothing to do with oil, cocoa, etc. either. Wake up people, SA has been trying to speak out against bombardment by external forces.

really? and how do explain the fact that they have captured 2 big cities in how many days WITHOUT FIRING A SHOT. any shots in the air were just for attention/celebration. If they were so in love with him, why the ease.
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by enyojo(f): 11:45am On Mar 31, 2011
Ibime:

That will be an ugly trend. The reason Sudan was divided was that their own case had dragged on for several years with attendant killings and maiming of citizens.
That cannot be said of Ivory coast were 1 man in collusion with his cartel lost an election in the Run-off presidential election and he refuses to hand over. If this is sustained and the country is cut into 2, then 2moro, GEJ will loose the election and will claim they should divide nigeria so he could rule the southern Nigeria Republic. madness
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by Beaf: 12:05pm On Mar 31, 2011
Shame on all those clowns that have made this a PDP matter. It shows your depth of character and puerile bitterness. Who do you think worries about PDP in Ecowas, SA or the wider World?
Please, lets keep it to Nigeria and our foreign policy vs South Africa's. The only two factors are Nigeria and GEJ.

The biggest Coacoa port in the World, San Pedro has now fallen to the Republican forces. LOL!
Gbagbo actually asked for a ceasefire yesterday. The punk had more than enough warning, it is also likely that the Republican army will knock on his door tonight, so let him ask them for a ceasefire at that point. For some reason, I strongly suspect a Nigerian hand, Abuja was Outarra's last port of call, ostensibly to seek support

As for SA, their foreign policy (like Zuma's mind) is looking increasingly quixotic and directionless. Their behaviour seems to be driven by their lust for a permanent seat at the UN Security Council; and Nigeria is their main stumbling block, especially with our steadily growing economy about to begin explosive growth. Nigeria's economy is projected to overtake and outstrip SA's within 10 years (or less).

SA has made many ill thought out foreign policy decisions, including Libya and Ivory Coast; whereas, Nigeria has always been on the ball. A few more months like the past two, and the World will begin to see just another inept regime in SA. In the meantime, Nigeria's foreign policy star has been shining brightly, all our steps have been ordered and well thought out. That UN seat naturally belongs to Nigeria. cool
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by bigfat05: 12:37pm On Mar 31, 2011
na wah ,
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by kulutempa: 1:12pm On Mar 31, 2011
BREAKING NEWS: Ivorian army chief seeks refuge at Abidjan home of South African ambassador to Ivory Coast.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/03/31/2142948/safrica-ivorian-army-chief-seeks.html

This is the problem with African despots and their supporters. They can't just read the big picture and figure out when the odds are stacked against them until it's too late. I suppose their greed for power and loot, blinds them to reality.
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by Nobody: 1:21pm On Mar 31, 2011
Some fols just wanna give unwarranted credit to south africa --- a country so confused about its foreign policy its the laughing stock of western nations, one minute attacking the western forces for bombarding libya and the next minute voting for a no-fly zone over libya--- Jacob zuma and the rest of his ANC blockheads are just making a mockery of themselves---why don't they start with mugabe next door,

http://www.economist.com/node/18447027
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by playmode(m): 1:38pm On Mar 31, 2011
Beaf:

Shame on all those clowns that have made this a PDP matter. It shows your depth of character and puerile bitterness. Who do you think worries about PDP in Ecowas, SA or the wider World?
Please, lets keep it to Nigeria and our foreign policy vs South Africa's. The only two factors are Nigeria and GEJ.

The biggest Coacoa port in the World, San Pedro has now fallen to the Republican forces. LOL!
Gbagbo actually asked for a ceasefire yesterday. The punk had more than enough warning, it is also likely that the Republican army will knock on his door tonight, so let him ask them for a ceasefire at that point. For some reason, I strongly suspect a Nigerian hand, Abuja was Outarra's last port of call, ostensibly to seek support

As for SA, their foreign policy (like Zuma's mind) is looking increasingly quixotic and directionless. Their behaviour seems to be driven by their lust for a permanent seat at the UN Security Council; and Nigeria is their main stumbling block, especially with our steadily growing economy about to begin explosive growth. Nigeria's economy is projected to overtake and outstrip SA's within 10 years (or less).

SA has made many ill thought out foreign policy decisions, including Libya and Ivory Coast; whereas, Nigeria has always been on the ball. A few more months like the past two, and the World will begin to see just another inept regime in SA. In the meantime, Nigeria's foreign policy star has been shining brightly, all our steps have been ordered and well thought out. That UN seat naturally belongs to Nigeria. cool

Abeg commot there ,on the ball my yansh.

Your mugu in chief has not solved the boko haram issue ,Mend issues e.t.c but he is on the ball in Ivory coast's matter. LOl you just keep exposing yourself as a not too bright individual.Clean up your wardrobe first before you try to clean other's.

There is not shining about Nigeria ,a country that can not solve it's own internal security problems can never get a sit on the UN security seat.The seat will either be given to SA or Botswana because Nigeria does not qualify.SA hosted the worldcup with maximum success and no security problems.That alone has boosted their score.what has Nigeria done to show that it's leader can make quick decisions to conquer security threats?

So it is the UN seat your boss is worried about?  Tell him to keep his eyes on the real ball which is dealing with all the security problems in Nigeria at the moment like armed robbery,bombs,kidnapping e.t.c

You strongly suspect a Nigerian hand hey? Hahahah you wish.Next thing you will say that Nigeria has it's own spies in IC? The Nigerian government can not wipe it's own as.s even if you offered it a golden tissue paper. Nigeria will overtake SA in 10 years *chuckles* na beans?.What has Nigeria been doing the past 12 years that is has not overtaken SA? Do you really think people take Goldman scam sachs seriously? The man who is running our finaces ,is he not from the same Goldman sachs? Yeah, Nigeria will overtake SA in 10 years.In your dreams buddy ,in your dreams.

It wont happen ,you wanna know why? because Jonathan will run the country aground in 4 years.
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by Nobody: 2:17pm On Mar 31, 2011
playmode:

Please do some research before getting overly sentimental over a non issue. If zuma’s intention was to intervene then he was wrong but we really don’t know what happened. By the way the SAS Drakensberg is not a warship. She is a support vessel, used for example to refuel other ships, logistic support etc. At best, any armament she carries is light, and for defence only. If Ecowas can't even get this fact straight, then they have no hope of clearing up the mess in Cote d'Ivoire.
________________________________________________________________________________________
Here is how the news was reported in SA:

James Victor Gbeho, head of the 15-nation West African bloc which has threatened to use force to oust Ivory Coast strongman Laurent Gbagbo, told journalists “there is a South African warship docked in Cote d’Ivoire.” “Action such as that can only complicate the matter further,” he said.South Africa’s ambassador to Nigeria disputed Gbeho’s reference to the vessel as a warship and said it could serve as a neutral negotiation venue.He said a similar arrangement was used for the Democratic Republic of Congo years back when South Africa mediated.

According to the ambassador, the vessel had initially docked in Ghana, but he said he did not know its current location.“There is nothing amiss about the vessel we sent. It’s just a harmless support vessel,” Kingsley Mamabolo told AFP. “It could be used for evacuation. It’s not meant to go and intervene militarily.“It’s ridiculous for anybody to suspect that South Africa would want to do a thing of that nature,” he said.“We have in the past sent ships (to troubled areas) which are not combat ships, but support ships for various reasons such as a venue for neutral negotiation, or in the event of evacuation.” He said South Africa “in principle has never believed in intervention by force.” “South Africa will never, ever intervene without consulting the regional bloc, in this case ECOWAS, and that we will never do anything that has not been authorised or mandated by the African Union (AU).”

ECOWAS has recognised Gbagbo’s rival Alassane Ouattara as president and demanded that Gbagbo quit power.But the AU has tasked a panel of five heads of state to find a peaceful, binding solution by the end of February.The panel, made up of the leaders of Burkina Faso, Chad, South Africa, Mauritania and Tanzania, sent a team of experts on an exploratory mission to Ivory Coast.

Source: http://www.timeslive.co.za/africa/article901951.ece/SA-criticised-for-sending-warship-to-Ivory-Coast
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

IMO If the leaders in west Africa e.g Jonathan had spent their country’s money wisely and strengthened their naval force maybe they won’t be so scared of an ordinary supply ship. Someone mentioned NNS Aradu, are you for real? How can you compare that rusty old relic to SA’s arsenal.NNS should be cooling off in a naval museum.One South African submarine will sink that Aradu in a second. Don’t even contemplate going to full scale war againt SA, their air power and sea power will send our armed forces in to hiding. The fact is if Zuma did do this intentionally he was wrong but even ecowas knows that it’s combined force cannot match SA’s arsenal and that is a fact. Nigeria’s only effective force is it’s army but with SA’s superior air power the army will be reduced to rubble in a matter of days not weeks.

You must be sick in your head to write this balderdash, It seems a lot of Nigerians are actually the Shomolus in SA seeking free Resident permit, and been paid to yearn propaganda againt their country. As far as Africa is concern Nobody will cough when it come to Nigeria. How much is one submarine you are talking about, where i work, we make 150 million dollars for nigeria everyday, And we have more than 50 places like that in nigeria, forget white man invasion, south africa no reach, The stongest region in Nigeria the EAST winkalone can handle South africa. cool
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by Nobody: 2:22pm On Mar 31, 2011
IMO If the leaders in west Africa  e.g Jonathan had spent their country’s  money wisely and strengthened  their naval force maybe they won’t be so scared of an ordinary supply ship. Someone mentioned NNS Aradu, are you for real? How can you compare that rusty old relic to SA’s arsenal.NNS should be cooling off in a naval museum.One South African submarine will sink that Aradu in a second. Don’t even contemplate going to full scale war againt SA, their air power and sea power will send our armed forces in to hiding. The fact is if Zuma did do this intentionally he was wrong but even ecowas knows that it’s combined force cannot match SA’s arsenal and that is a fact. Nigeria’s only effective force is it’s army but with SA’s superior air power the army will be reduced to rubble in a matter of days not weeks.

@playmode
I agree with your submission. Due to military politics, the Nigerian Army reduced the Airforce and Navy to mushroom forces. Thus, the territorial integrity of our country is unsecured. South Africa produces weapons; military tanks, missiles, military crafts etc. Warfare is not only about population but equipments. It will take the South Africans just 3days to level every coup-oriented military barrack in Nigeria. What a shame!!!!
undecided undecided undecided
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by norrisman: 3:23pm On Mar 31, 2011
kayci_d77:

You must be sick in your head to write this balderdash, It seems a lot of Nigerians are actually the Shomolus in SA seeking free Resident permit, and been paid to yearn propaganda againt their country. As far as Africa is concern Nobody will cough when it come to Nigeria. How much is one submarine you are talking about, where i work, we make 150 million dollars for nigeria everyday, And we have more than 50 places like that in nigeria, forget white man invasion, south africa no reach, The stongest region in Nigeria the EAST  winkalone can handle South africa. cool

Engage your brain before u post, guy! What is Nigerias annual budget? Yet where u work, u make $3 billion dollars for Nigeria every month! + the other 50 centres u talk about, thats about $150 billion dollars monthly from just your organisation/ sector. The sad thing is some people will believe u.
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by Nobody: 3:42pm On Mar 31, 2011
norrisman:

Engage your brain before u post, guy! What is Nigerias annual budget? Yet where u work, u make $3 billion dollars for Nigeria every month! + the other 50 centres u talk about, thats about $150 billion dollars monthly from just your organisation/ sector. The sad thing is some people will believe u.

You have got an empty head, the budget is based on $45 per barrel, its $105 per barrel now, I mean for lower crude oil like lybians,a single FPSO that produces 1.5 million barrels , how much is that, Do u know how many FPSO a single oil company has in nigeria. Hey lets say we are not utilising our money just to show we are strong like what SA is trying to show the world, You think UN is blind, SA will level Nigeria in 3 days my A$$, Both in Human and financial capacity they no reach. You know why short ppl make noise most, so they can seen cos they nr not tall enough, We got a bad government but dont fkc with NAIJA, what ever south Africa has we can buy them in a day!!!!!
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by norrisman: 3:54pm On Mar 31, 2011
@ kayci d77

I agree, I have got an empty head but you have refused to answer my question, How much is Nigeria's annual budget? I will answer it for you; It is somewhere in the region of $30 - $40 billion dollars. How is it possible then that your one organisation/ sector with its 50 branches makes over a $1 trillion for Nigeria annually?

If you cant work this simple maths out before you post, how do you expect any sensible person to believe your drivel.
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by Blazing99: 4:14pm On Mar 31, 2011
It's not going to be so easy to oust Gbagbo. Gbagbo has supporters as well who are armed. I see Ivory coast getting to CIVIL WAR . Unfortunately expect low UN invovlement cos Ivory coast aint Libya and aint got OIL or OYELL(as said in Warri)
Re: Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo by Nobody: 4:30pm On Mar 31, 2011
norrisman:

@ kayci d77

I agree, I have got an empty head but you have refused to answer my question, How much is Nigeria's annual budget? I will answer it for you; It is somewhere in the region of $30 - $40 billion dollars. How is it possible then that your one organisation/ sector with its 50 branches makes over a $1 trillion for Nigeria annually?

If you cant work this simple maths out before you post, how do you expect any sensible person to believe your drivel.

Hey man no beef here, but let face the fact, this sector generate 85% nigerian Annuall Income, And dont based Nigerian earning on the budget cos the budget is not up to one 3rd of what Nigeria generates in a yr. Lets not digress but the truth is that Nigeria is far richer than SA, I dont want to revel my identity but if Nigeria want to be buying ONE typhoon jet everyday its nothing, One is £70 million, Where i am thats what a single oil block produces in 3 days own by danjuma, Forget zuma he is just showing off, does not mean Nigeria dont know what they r doing. USA can chase away Gadaffi in one day but they have not done that, Does it mean that fRANCE THAT TREW THE 1ST BOMB IS stronger

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Terrible Life Of African Prostitutes In Italy / Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt / Barak Obama 's Inaguration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.