Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,744 members, 7,820,568 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

Why A Lot Of Igbos Build Mansions In The Village - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why A Lot Of Igbos Build Mansions In The Village (2776 Views)

The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! / Who Are The Village People? / 10 Things That People In The Village Enjoy Better Than People In The Cities Area (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why A Lot Of Igbos Build Mansions In The Village by NewDelhi(m): 10:20pm On Jan 09, 2021
Driving through most Eastern villages, you just have to marvel at the palatial mansions you see left and right. It's almost like a competition among the igbos to build jawbreaking mansions than your peers but that's not the case. Most people think the Igbos Build Mansions in the village just to show off , oppress their peers and impress the ladies but that's not true. Another misconception is that the houses are usually empty and nobody lives in them until Christmas when they return from Lagos, Asia, Europe or America.

Well the reason Igbos Build such edifices is because they are wary of making the same mistakes made by their fathers. During and after the civil war in 1970, Nigerians and her government destroyed alot of properties belonging to the Biafrans. Even in the east, many of them were left with nothing and they had to start from scratch. That's why since then , alot of them have been preparing for the rainy days incase there might be another war.

It's not about showing off or letting the whole community know "you have arrived", they are just making amendments to the mistake made in the past. Asides that, they are also trying to motivate you by passing a message. The message is "I went, I saw and I conquered".

Re: Why A Lot Of Igbos Build Mansions In The Village by CodeTemplar: 10:23pm On Jan 09, 2021
Genevieve worked for hers and decided to build a strategic estate in Abuja. I wonder what these ones did to get their own dough.
Re: Why A Lot Of Igbos Build Mansions In The Village by Hahjascho(m): 10:39pm On Jan 09, 2021
How sure are you that it's not more of showing off...

Forget Civil war wey happen 1970.
Re: Why A Lot Of Igbos Build Mansions In The Village by NewDelhi(m): 11:09pm On Jan 09, 2021

Re: Why A Lot Of Igbos Build Mansions In The Village by Harrykn: 12:53am On Jan 10, 2021
mek person no talk say "e no get house for village" but dem say e dey sleep on top money..
Re: Why A Lot Of Igbos Build Mansions In The Village by longetivity(m): 1:23am On Jan 10, 2021
buafrans are doing well
Re: Why A Lot Of Igbos Build Mansions In The Village by ArcFresky(m): 7:22am On Jan 10, 2021
Its competition.... If it's not, why is blood money and drug mules rampant with Easternerzs?

1 Like

Re: Why A Lot Of Igbos Build Mansions In The Village by Ekealterego: 12:34pm On Jan 10, 2021
ArcFresky:
Its competition.... If it's not, why is blood money and drug mules rampant with Easternerzs?
Blood money rampant? You believe Nollywood movies too much because every day on the news, all the ritual killings and skull mining happen in the South West. I bet you will find one news on ritual killing from the SW right now on the front page. Yahoo-Yahoo is also way more rampant in the SW.

2 Likes

Re: Why A Lot Of Igbos Build Mansions In The Village by ArcFresky(m): 1:05pm On Jan 10, 2021
Ekealterego:

Blood money rampant? You believe Nollywood movies too much because every day on the news, all the ritual killings and skull mining happen in the South West. I bet you will find one news on ritual killing from the SW right now on the front page. Yahoo-Yahoo is also way more rampant in the SW.

Don't tribalise ritual killings. Its everywhere. The issue I am stating here is, there too much pressue on Igbos to succeed. They don't car le how you make it, just make it.

1 Like

Re: Why A Lot Of Igbos Build Mansions In The Village by IamAtikulate: 5:03pm On Jan 10, 2021
It has nothing to do with civil war, it's all about Igbo philosophy of Aku Ruo Ulo.

Any Igboman with a house in Lagos or outside the East has a better house at home.

If not the community will laugh at him "Onweghi ulo ebe nna ya".

You solidify your position in the community by building your own house.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why A Lot Of Igbos Build Mansions In The Village by IamAtikulate: 5:06pm On Jan 10, 2021
ArcFresky:

Don't tribalise ritual killings. Its everywhere. The issue I am stating here is, there too much pressue on Igbos to succeed. They don't car le how you make it, just make it.
Which pressure?

You Yorubas sha.
Re: Why A Lot Of Igbos Build Mansions In The Village by IamAtikulate: 5:07pm On Jan 10, 2021
ArcFresky:
Which money ritual?

SW leads the country in ritual killings.
Re: Why A Lot Of Igbos Build Mansions In The Village by LukasPodolski: 6:09pm On Jan 10, 2021
people do this everywhere.

nah small thing these fools dey always brag about.

2 Likes

Re: Why A Lot Of Igbos Build Mansions In The Village by RedboneSmith(m): 9:14pm On Jan 10, 2021
Forget this thing. It's about bragging rights. I know many of them.

Many Igbo men who have made money and are forming big man in the city don't want their rich city friends to visit them in their village and find out that they are living in hovels.

4 Likes

Re: Why A Lot Of Igbos Build Mansions In The Village by RedboneSmith(m): 9:17pm On Jan 10, 2021
Ekealterego:

I was going to say this. Who still talks about blood money in the East today? Even Nollywood sef don dey drop that concept. This people are living in a 1990s/early 2000s Nollywood alternate universe.

1 Like

Re: Why A Lot Of Igbos Build Mansions In The Village by NewDelhi(m): 5:58am On Jan 14, 2021
RedboneSmith:
Forget this thing. It's about bragging rights. I know many of them.

Many Igbo men who have made money and are forming big man in the city don't want their rich city friends to visit them in their village and find out that they are living in hovels.
This is very wrong in all shades
Re: Why A Lot Of Igbos Build Mansions In The Village by coolzeal(m): 8:02am On Jan 08, 2022
The Igbo philosophy is far too complicated and astute for most Nigerians to understand. Either they don't want to learn or they act in their ignorance. Igbo life bu Ndu.

(1) (Reply)

Colonial Lies About Igbos: Killing Of Twins. / Senegalese Music Rocks! / History 101: Oba Kosoko Of Lagos Was Against Abolition Of Slave Trade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.