Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,859 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:26 PM

Can I Be A Christian Without Going To Church? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can I Be A Christian Without Going To Church? (495 Views)

How Can I Pay My Tithe Without Going To Church? / Is It Possible To Be A True Christian Without Witnessing Christ? / My Father Has A Bat In His Wardrobe: Should I Be Worried? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Be A Christian Without Going To Church? by MrBati(m): 10:51am On Jan 10, 2021
Good morning!

At this stage of my life I am beginning to see going to church as a waste of productive time and my parents refuse to see why. I strongly believe in God as the author and finisher of my faith but I don't think it is necessary to always go to church...

I have been going to church for over 20 years of my life and I am tired.

My parents are ready to disown me because of not going to church.

Can't i serve God without going to Church?
Re: Can I Be A Christian Without Going To Church? by Skyfornia(m): 11:02am On Jan 10, 2021
Can you be a footballer without going to the field? Can you become a farmer without going to the farm??
Re: Can I Be A Christian Without Going To Church? by sonmvayina(m): 11:23am On Jan 10, 2021
The church or christian age is gradually winding down...coming to an end.
Re: Can I Be A Christian Without Going To Church? by MrBati(m): 11:24am On Jan 10, 2021
Skyfornia:
Can you be a footballer without going to the field? Can you become a farmer without going to the farm??

When did Christianity became a profession?

2 Likes

Re: Can I Be A Christian Without Going To Church? by obonujoker(m): 11:27am On Jan 10, 2021
You can't... Don't be deceived... You can change denomination though
Re: Can I Be A Christian Without Going To Church? by paxonel(m): 12:10pm On Jan 10, 2021
MrBati:
Good morning!

At this stage of my life I am beginning to see going to church as a waste of productive time and my parents refuse to see why. I strongly believe in God as the author and finisher of my faith but I don't think it is necessary to always go to church...

that is only when you are independent without staying with your parents.

But for now, you have to play the good child to fulfill all righteousness.
Re: Can I Be A Christian Without Going To Church? by Skyfornia(m): 12:28pm On Jan 10, 2021
MrBati:

When did Christianity became a profession?

Okay..Christianity is a hobby..hope you are happy now?
Re: Can I Be A Christian Without Going To Church? by Oluromantic: 2:32pm On Jan 10, 2021
You need a personal encounter. When you have it. You will be the one dragging others to church.
Re: Can I Be A Christian Without Going To Church? by Shawl001(m): 3:32pm On Jan 10, 2021
grin
Skyfornia:

Okay..Christianity is a hobby..hope you are happy now?
Re: Can I Be A Christian Without Going To Church? by Shawl001(m): 3:33pm On Jan 10, 2021
Oluromantic:
You need a personal encounter. When you have it. You will be the one dragging others to church.

Beautiful!
Re: Can I Be A Christian Without Going To Church? by Shawl001(m): 3:39pm On Jan 10, 2021
Well,
I had to come in and read the OP's comment to fully understand his question.
I realized that, he is actually tired of going to church, and this only happens when you are discouraged, or not seeing results, or yielding to external pressures from peers and others.
I won't advice you to quit going to church.

The truth is, going to church isn't what makes you a Christian. Just as going to school doesn't make you a student.
Its first and more of a personal relationship with God, through the Holy Spirit.
But then, you can't claim to love God and not want to go to church, never.
I will advice you sit down and pray to God to direct you, (since you claim to know Him). If perhaps, you should change the denomination to another.
Re: Can I Be A Christian Without Going To Church? by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:18pm On Jan 10, 2021
NO you can't!
Though there's just one group of people that are real Christians but even if you know them without associating with them there is no way Jesus can approve of you because Jesus commanded his true followers to do something very important so without associating with his true followers you can't succeed in carrying out this important task. Hebrew 10:24-25
Satan knew that we humans have the inborn tendency towards worship and if he should allow us to be idle the true Christians will fish out faithful ones amongst mankind {Matthew 4:19} so Satan quickly organized so many forms of worship (different religions) all claiming Christians to stop us from listening to what the true Christians were sent to TEACH us. So even when most people knew nothing about Christianity billions are claiming Christians unknowingly to them that they're not doing anything for Jesus! Matthew 7:21-23
Re: Can I Be A Christian Without Going To Church? by MrBati(m): 8:33pm On Jan 10, 2021
I appreciate everyone for their inputs. I hope to see the face of God on this.
Re: Can I Be A Christian Without Going To Church? by davidinchrist(m): 8:55pm On Jan 10, 2021
MrBati:
Good morning!

Hmm. It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for one to find a true church of Christ, as most churches are SELF, MEN and MONEY-centered.

If one has got a true fellowship that leads to obedience to the books of the gospels (not just a congregation of clubby members), then it would be wrong to leave. However, for common gatherings/mega-churches and their branches worldwide, I would say it's better to avoid them like the plague in any case. Because even if one isn't ready to repent and obey Jesus, he/she would still be a single candidate of hell, not a double one as Jesus called it.

But how about the verse "Forget not the gathering...".

Of course, if you've got a true fellowship (as I mentioned), why would you want to Forget them in any case?

It is also written to turn away from such with a FORM of godliness (see 2 Tim. 3:5)

Above all, seeking to live in obedience is the main thing, not necessarily about lots of religious activities:

Matt.7.22 - MANY will say to Me on that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name and driven out demons in Your name and done MANY mighty works in Your name?

Matt.7.23 - And then I will say to them openly (publicly), I never knew you; depart from Me, you who act wickedly [disregarding My commands].

God bless.

1 Like

Re: Can I Be A Christian Without Going To Church? by xproducer: 9:04pm On Jan 10, 2021
MrBati:
Good morning!

=============

There is utility in joining other like minded true believers in CHRIST, to thank, praise and worship Him! As in Hebrews 10: 25 - "not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching."

However, bear in mind that even if you don't, or can't go to church... salvation is not dependent on this!

GOD saved many of his prophets/ children in the old testament era, and the beginning of the new testament era through Himself / the Lord JESUS CHRIST. How many of them attended church? It is about the personal relationship they (and we) have with GOD, made possible by Him because He calls us - we don't inherently seek Him (Romans 3:11).

GOD called Abraham "friend" - Isaiah 41:8, The Lord JESUS said, "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad.” - John 8:56
"Enoch walked with God three hundred years" - Genesis 5:22

It is about the merciful operation of GOD in sanctifying the individual, by grace; and "the answer of a good conscience toward God" - 1 Peter 3:21... then growing in the knowledge, and character of the Lord JESUS - growing from grace to grace, "until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory." - Ephesians 1:14
Re: Can I Be A Christian Without Going To Church? by traihit: 10:55pm On Jan 10, 2021
davidinchrist:

Hmm. It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for one to find a true church of Christ, as most churches are SELF, MEN and MONEY-centered.

If one has got a true fellowship that leads to obedience to the books of the gospels (not just a congregation of clubby members), then it would be wrong to leave. However, for common gatherings/mega-churches and their branches worldwide, I would say it's better to avoid them like the plague in any case. Because even if one isn't ready to repent and obey Jesus, he/she would still be a single candidate of hell, not a double one as Jesus called it.

But how about the verse "Forget not the gathering...".

Of course, if you've got a true fellowship (as I mentioned), why would you want to Forget them in any case?

It is also written to turn away from such with a FORM of godliness (see 2 Tim. 3:5)

Above all, seeking to live in obedience is the main thing, not necessarily about lots of religious activities:

Matt.7.22 - MANY will say to Me on that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name and driven out demons in Your name and done MANY mighty works in Your name?

Matt.7.23 - And then I will say to them openly (publicly), I never knew you; depart from Me, you who act wickedly [disregarding My commands].

God bless.

In that place where it is difficult to find true servants of Christ, in that congregation you call corrupt, among the people you think they are all serving men instead of God, there are still a few souls who have a good relationship with God and that's the case in so many of these churches.

Should we say because the world is full of uncertainties then children shouldn't be born? Then why should we run away from church totally because there are fake churches.

To the op, not going to church is not a sin but you can't sustain a consistent Christian living for a long time unless you find a local assembly where you can belong to, where you have people to be accountable to and where the words you hear will transform you the more. Being a Christian is not a one day journey, it is lifetime of dedication and readiness to serve God and thus, while relationship with God is purely personal, walking as a lone ranger Christian is very dangerous. If you don't like the doctrines of your church, find another to belong but ensure it's where you can hear God's word, balanced and undiluted.

May you never be confused or captured by fake ministers of God.
Shalom.
Re: Can I Be A Christian Without Going To Church? by davidinchrist(m): 3:42am On Jan 11, 2021
traihit:

In that place where it is difficult to find true servants of Christ, in that congregation you call corrupt, among the people you think they are all serving men instead of God, there are still a few souls who have a good relationship with God and that's the case in so many of these churches.

Should we say because the world is full of uncertainties then children shouldn't be born? Then why should we run away from church totally because there are fake churches.

To the op, not going to church is not a sin but you can't sustain a consistent Christian living for a long time unless you find a local assembly where you can belong to, where you have people to be accountable to and where the words you hear will transform you the more. Being a Christian is not a one day journey, it is lifetime of dedication and readiness to serve God and thus, while relationship with God is purely personal, walking as a lone ranger Christian is very dangerous. If you don't like the doctrines of your church, find another to belong but ensure it's where you can hear God's word, balanced and undiluted.

May you never be confused or captured by fake ministers of God.
Shalom.

You may reread my comment again, if possible and if you don't mind. The thing is it's got two opposite sides, and people tend to get glued to one side: the forget not the gathering of your brethren side.

So, whether the gathering is Alive or Dead, forget them not?

Of course not! The second says to TURN AWAY or avoid certain type:

(You may start from verse 1)
2Tim.3.5 - Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such TURN AWAY.

2Cor.6.17 - Wherefore COME OUT from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

Finally,

1John.4.1 - Beloved, believe not every spirit, but TRY (or test) the spirits whether they are of God: because MANY false prophets are gone out into the world.

Note: you still don't need to agree with me...

Bye.
Re: Can I Be A Christian Without Going To Church? by Kobojunkie: 11:06pm On Jan 19, 2021
MrBati:
Good morning!

First decision you have to make is this.. Decide today whether to serve God or serve your parents. You cannot serve Gpd and man at the same time. undecided

Second, ask yourself this...Did Jesus Christ in fact write you a command that you must attend church service if you want to please Him? undecided
Hint: the details and commandments that apply as far as the New Covenant that is Jesus Christ are found written in the 4 Gospels alone. Search through to find and learn the Truth of God as written to you even for 2000 years now.
Re: Can I Be A Christian Without Going To Church? by Ihedinobi3: 10:58pm On Jan 21, 2021
MrBati:
Good morning!

Hi there.

For some background, I've been a believer for almost all my life. I don't remember when I first believed in Jesus Christ. Faith in Jesus has always been part of my life for as long as I can remember. I also went to church for very much of my life, and not just because my parents made me go. I went even more than they did. I grew increasingly disillusioned as I grew older. I finally stopped going to church in September 2015, if memory serves me right. Even though I tried one church when I moved to a different city, I didn't last half an hour in that first service that I attended. I was sick of it before I even got into the church. So I left and never went back.

That is all to say that I understand what you feel and may be going through. But let's talk about what the Bible actually says.

24 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, 25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
Hebrews 10:24-25 (NKJV)

15 . . . how you ought to conduct yourself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.
1 Timothy 3:15 (NKJV)

These are two of very many Scriptures that point to the need for believers to walk together. It is critical to our spiritual health to have comrades in the Truth. In our fight against Satan and his lies, no lone ranger does well. Lone rangers are apt to be captured and be destroyed by Satan. This is why the Bible also says,

6 God sets the solitary in families;
He brings out those who are bound into prosperity;
But the rebellious dwell in a dry land.
Psalms 68:6 (NKJV)

God has always demonstrated that what He wants is a family of believers who walk together in love in their pursuit of His Truth. He showed this especially in the creation of the nation of Israel. That nation is actually the true spiritual family of all those who believe. The Law of Moses (and the promises of the Millennium too) made provision for all believers who needed a home. Foreigners who decided that they wanted to serve the God of Israel were to be absorbed into the Jewish population and treated exactly like Jews too. This has been fully fulfilled in the proclamation of the Gospel to Gentiles through the Apostles. We who were once far from God are now part of His Unique Blessed Family by Faith in Jesus Christ.

The problem though is that as long as we are in this world, we have to keep in mind that we are fighting a war against Satan. Sometimes, Satan does infiltrate groups of believers (cf. Galatians 2:4; Ezra 4:1-5). When he does that, we might have to leave the groups where we are.

17 Now in giving these instructions I do not praise you, since you come together not for the better but for the worse.
1 Corinthians 11:17 (NKJV)

17 Therefore
“Come out from among them
And be separate, says the Lord.
Do not touch what is unclean,
And I will receive you.”
18 “I will be a Father to you,
And you shall be My sons and daughters,
Says the LORD Almighty.”
2 Corinthians 6:17-18 (NKJV)

The Scriptures are clear that when believers gather, the reason that they do is to encourage each other in spiritual growth (see the link). We are supposed to be helping each other in our efforts to learn biblical truth, believe it, and apply it in our lives. If the group to which we belong is increasingly unconcerned with the truth, then we will find our being among them increasingly burdensome to ourselves. It is no good then to remain there. It is best at that point to leave and find other believers (and really all you need for a start is one other believer, a gifted and prepared pastor-teacher) who will be an encouragement to your spiritual growth.

Some people do leave, but then they never seek out anything better. They become laws unto themselves and fall into error as a result. Nairaland is ripe with such people. They start to fancy themselves experts on biblical truth and then end up deceived and deceiving others. I was one such person years ago, but the Lord took pity on me and brought me to a pastor-teacher who helped me learn the whole realm of biblical truth and begin to train for my ministry as a pastor-teacher (I have a pastor-teaching gift). Feel free to look at my old Nairaland account at nairaland.com/ihedinobi2 to see some of that. Everything from 2015 and back on that account is a testimony to a prior career of foolishness.

The solution is not to only leave. It is also to find a pastor-teacher who is gifted and prepared to teach you the whole truth of the Bible. When you do, you will find other believers clustered around that teacher who will be an encouragement to your good desire to grow spiritually (see the link). Regular or traditional denominational/non-denominational/interdenominational churches are not some Scripturally sanctioned way to worship God. This is what the Bible actually says:

21 Jesus said to her, “Woman, believe Me, the hour is coming when you will neither on this mountain, nor in Jerusalem, worship the Father. 22 You worship what you do not know; we know what we worship, for salvation is of the Jews. 23 But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. 24 God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”
John 4:21-24 (NKJV)

That is, the worship of God is not defined by any geographical limitations. Rather, the Lord says that only true spiritual worship that is centered on the truth of the Bible is recognized by or desirable and acceptable to God.

20 For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”
Matthew 18:20 (NKJV)

To gather in the Lord's Name is to gather with His Approval. What kind of gathering has His approval? Any gathering that provides believers with a real opportunity to encourage each other in the truth, that is, any gathering where they are learning the truth and helping each other in any way that they can to use that truth in their lives no matter where this gathering occurs or what the particulars of it are. That is why the Bible says that the church is the pillar and ground of the truth. If a given group of people calls itself a church and makes certain token gestures to that effect but does not make a priority of teaching the truth and encouraging believers to get better at living according to it, it is not a church by biblical definition. According to Paul who was writing under inspiration from God, such a group is bad for you spiritually.

In short, then, my answer is that while you do not need the thing commonly called church today to serve God in so far as it does not actually help you grow spiritually, you do need fellow believers to walk with God as you should. When you find true church, it may not be what you expected, but it will be everything that you need.

1 I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, 2 with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, 3 endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
7 But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ’s gift. 8 Therefore He says:
“When He ascended on high,
He led captivity captive,
And gave gifts to men.”
9 (Now this, “He ascended”—what does it mean but that He also first descended into the lower parts of the earth? 10 He who descended is also the One who ascended far above all the heavens, that He might fill all things.)
11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, 13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; 14 that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, 15 but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head—Christ— 16 from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.
Ephesians 4:1-16 (NKJV)
Re: Can I Be A Christian Without Going To Church? by Kobojunkie: 4:11pm On Mar 15, 2021
MrBati:
Good morning!
Jesus Christ never commanded you to attend any service let alone one in any of your so-called churches, to begin with. That it took you a long 20 years to begin getting a clue is amazing. undecided
I wonder how much longer you will spend believing the lies told you by the same MOgs who told you the lie about church attendance before you convert and begin accepting(trusting) and obeying the very teachings/commandments of Jesus Christ as recorded in the 4 gospels. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Just Move On With Life...... / 31 Yrs Of Madness Given Complete Technical Knockout ( Video) / Martyrs Of Atheism?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.