Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,424 members, 7,819,523 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:34 PM

What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? (37544 Views)

Man Who Graduated With Third Class From OAU Discovers He’s A Genius In Canada / Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? / 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by eddieo(m): 10:18pm On Jan 12, 2021
The person should beam his search light on German Mtinatinstional corporations in sub-saharan Africa. They don't consider class of degree during recruitment. All they require is at least a BSc for that position. If you have an MBA then it's also a big plus for such industries even if you're from STEM background.
They will only know of your class of degree during documentation which actually doesn't matter to them. All they are interested in is if you can do the job. Do free internships targeted at such industries. These industries pay as high as many oil companies.also UN based jobs don't look at class of degrees and their pay is very competitive and if you're an international recruit then you're a millionaire for life. Same with ECOWAS too, class of degree is not important there too
whyteteeth:
First and foremost I am a 2.2 graduate. But from what I have seen so far, I have come to discover that job adverts specifically give preference to first class and 2.1 graduates and very few give room for 2.2 applicants. And I am yet to see any job specification that includes graduates of third class degree.

Now someone with a third class degree can only do masters after completion of a postgraduate diploma. However, job advertisements for lecturing positions still lay emphasis on minimum of 2.2 for lecturing positions. So a third class degree applicant who has masters and PhD still doesn't stand a chance as compared to first and 2.1 or 2.2 applicants.

So my question is, what is the way forward for third class graduates, should they abandon the degree and enrol for another first degree? Or universities should abolish the award of third class degrees to graduates.

In my own opinion, students who have poor grades that will eventually earn them a third class degree should be given some form of remedial programmes for a year or two which will attract additional fees so they can have opportunity to boost their grades and at least earn a 2.2 upon graduation. Just my opinion!

Please feel free to make your contributions as well. There are a lot of third class degree holders out there who are really frustrated and would want some advice on what to do!

Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by lasmile(f): 10:23pm On Jan 12, 2021
He or she should check my siggy
Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by Kingjay5(m): 10:40pm On Jan 12, 2021
From my observations, and what have read, no one get rich by working under someone, no billionaire is under a salary structure. That's the reason most class excel in life because they have to think outside the burst because the world of limited opportunities offered to them, they create their own world and outshine others , am not saying ending up as a third class is good but is definitely not bad but a challenge to make you a better person, woke soyinka graduated with a third class, we all know who he is now, senator dino melaye, we have mark zuckerberg, the list goes on.
Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by onyeomanono24(f): 10:59pm On Jan 12, 2021
You can do everything and anything you set to do with it. No limitation

Including burning it.
grin
Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by Harrykn: 11:12pm On Jan 12, 2021
Pharaoh4rin:
I never looked for 2.1 or 4.5. I don't want to enslave myself to books. First class is for administrative and social science courses.
My 2.2 is ok for me. My department has NEVER produced a first class in the history of my school and nobody is looking for it. Imagine a department with a population of 18 students and a professor will tell U that U guys are overpopulated. You must go grey.

So my point is, if you think my 2.2 is not good enough, engage me in an interview or a job in my field. Nigerian Nuclear Regulatory Commission can testify.

you have strong attributes that even your text can't hide it

1 Like

Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by whizbee(m): 11:21pm On Jan 12, 2021
I think I can answer this, as a 3rd class myself, I honed IT skills even before I started regular office work, 5 years after working in different sectors within IT, I quit to start freelancing, never been happier

Just get a skill, that’s all, you’d even surprise yourself
Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jan 12, 2021
AsiwajuNdigbo:

I agree.

In addition, there are people that are superbly intelligent but do not know how to pass exams.

When you apply to harvard or oxford they look at grades and then will invite you for an interview. Through this personal assessment they have ended up securing scholars who looked very poor and inadmissible on paper.

nigeria does not place value on talents. Therefore our focus is totally on paper. The result is we hire people who can pass exams but are poor in critical thinking.

I agree with your assertions as well.

No one deserves to be limited by the class of degree they have, but hey, the reality of this world is harsh when you don't have what it takes to beat certain competition, so if it takes going the extra mile by doing a second bachelor's degree, then that's better than waiting for a figurative "Harvard system" or making excuses.

Harvard is a long way from Nigeria and 90% of universities and companies in the world will judge based on your academic performance... C'est la vie.

1 Like

Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by GreaterDC(m): 11:29pm On Jan 12, 2021
Bro go into any tech related
Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by Gerrard59(m): 11:50pm On Jan 12, 2021
Skmoda360:

Yeah.....

Fake news!
https://www.jarushub.com/jarus-on-sunday-on-wole-soyinkas-mythical-third-class-degree/#:~:text=Titled%2C%20'I%20didn't,as%20widely%20believed%20by%20Nigerians.&text=Wole%20Soyinka%20is%20not%20the,such%20mythical%20'third%20class'.

https://www.nairaland.com/1359584/did-not-make-3rd-class

cc: liveyourlife007

1 Like

Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by Gerrard59(m): 11:52pm On Jan 12, 2021
Brunicekid:
Ask Wole Soyinka what he did with his third class... Then, you will know. What about University dropouts doing great in their life?

https://www.nairaland.com/1359584/did-not-make-3rd-class

Is there another Soyinka that we don't know?
Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by Gerrard59(m): 11:57pm On Jan 12, 2021
WeRblessed:
Ask George W Bush and Bill Gate.

Think / find the needs of the people in your community and provide them service. Treat your customers right and come back here in 12 months and slap me with 2 million naira.

Degree is good, but when your degree is not good enough to compete in the few opening job market, you create a job so that those with spectacular degrees can work for you.

75% of Forbes billionaires have neither college degree nor finished college. Couple of them barely finished high school, most dropped out of college, while the rest got just a high school diploma.

What can you do for people? Think outside the box, and bam, you are made.

Which publication did you get the info from?
Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by Gerrard59(m): 12:00am On Jan 13, 2021
Kingjay5:
From my observations, and what have read, no one get rich by working under someone, no billionaire is under a salary structure. That's the reason most class excel in life because they have to think outside the burst because the world of limited opportunities offered to them, they create their own world and outshine others , am not saying ending up as a third class is good but is definitely not bad but a challenge to make you a better person, woke soyinka graduated with a third class, we all know who he is now, senator dino melaye, we have mark zuckerberg, the list goes on.

Another lie! There are many people living in Nigeria who are very rich by the virtue of working for companies and under people. Please "observe" well.

Wole Soyinka never graduated with a third class: https://www.nairaland.com/1359584/did-not-make-3rd-class

Dino Melaye is a bloody criminal politician who should not be a role model to any serious person.

Mark Zuckerberg dropped out from HARVARD not Auchi or Kwara Poly. Before someone gets admitted into Harvard, the person is not your random folk across the street. Find a better way to link comparison.
Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by sulaak(m): 12:06am On Jan 13, 2021
Hassanmaye:

How can he learn programming if he is not excellent in mathematics?

You don't need maths to learn to program, some of the best programmers have degrees in philosophy, English, and History. If you can learn a new language you can learn to program, the trick is practice, practice, practice. The world needs more software developers and fewer graduates.

I honestly don't understand the relevance of degrees in a country that has few industries, Nigerian youth should focus on learning a skill.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by jamalee: 12:13am On Jan 13, 2021
whyteteeth:
First and foremost I am a 2.2 graduate. But from what I have seen so far, I have come to discover that job adverts specifically give preference to first class and 2.1 graduates and very few give room for 2.2 applicants. And I am yet to see any job specification that includes graduates of third class degree.

Now someone with a third class degree can only do masters after completion of a postgraduate diploma. However, job advertisements for lecturing positions still lay emphasis on minimum of 2.2 for lecturing positions. So a third class degree applicant who has masters and PhD still doesn't stand a chance as compared to first and 2.1 or 2.2 applicants.

So my question is, what is the way forward for third class graduates, should they abandon the degree and enrol for another first degree? Or universities should abolish the award of third class degrees to graduates.

In my own opinion, students who have poor grades that will eventually earn them a third class degree should be given some form of remedial programmes for a year or two which will attract additional fees so they can have opportunity to boost their grades and at least earn a 2.2 upon graduation. Just my opinion!

Please feel free to make your contributions as well. There are a lot of third class degree holders out there who are really frustrated and would want some advice on what to do!

Hello my dear Brother. To me School education is a useless thing. Why I consider it as a useless thing is that it consume too much money that you cannot recoup within eight years of graduating(that means if you quickly secure a good job after graduating which is not 100% sure) and it also wastes someone's time; one can be spending 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 or even 8 years on campus before graduating. One of Robert Kiyosaki's book "Rich Dad Poor Dad"; in it, Rich Dad states that "Skills make you rich not theories". You tertiary institution Goers only read theories in School but the real practicals are on the Streets. You learn the real practicals by mingling with the big boys on the Streets. You learn how to make money on the Streets not in the four walls of classroooms. In a nut shell, what I am trying to say is that you should start a business for your; a business that is going to stand the test of time. Let your business name be easily pronounced and remembered. Create an eye catching logo for your business with tagline with nice theme or colour background and register your business name, logo, tagline with its colour scheme or background at the necessary governmental agencies in Nigeria, then you are good to go. Remember, Nestle, Paga, Dell, promassidor, Unilever,Addidas, Puma,MTN, Nokia, etc all started from somewhere. I want you to also remember that most of the World's richest people are either drop outs or that they don't attend School at all.

1 Like

Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by liveyourlife007(m): 12:19am On Jan 13, 2021
Exodora:

You must be new here not to know that he is.
So many of them are but I won't start calling names .
3rd class or not, soyinka's story is that of Success, not failure.
Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by oluwatosin070: 1:19am On Jan 13, 2021
Gordson:

Info tech... which school

N.O.U.N.
Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by Chris2863(m): 1:25am On Jan 13, 2021
Tell us who gave you the job jarreh
immaq8:
I am a third class degree holder. when I saw my final result, I went ahead to beg my course adviser to "please dash me one point so that I can be in the group of 2.2". But the word she gave me, made me to beat my chest that I will never give up.
She said to me, My dear, to be candid with you, you are a brilliant lady BUT the society we are now, do not require your certificate before getting a good job.
I took the words & plan for the future.
today, I'm a Civil Servant in one of the best state in Nigeria.
Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by cardoctor(m): 5:11am On Jan 13, 2021
Go and open beer parlour
Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by WeRblessed(f): 5:29am On Jan 13, 2021
Gerrard59:

Which publication did you get the info from?

It's a typo error. I meant to type 35%. Thanks for finding that out.

https://fortune.com/2016/08/08/billionaires-no-degree/
Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by Pharaoh4rin(m): 7:01am On Jan 13, 2021
NeoWanZaeed:
What matter is what you can deliver

Absolutely bruv
Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by Big4prepNG: 7:02am On Jan 13, 2021
It depends on how much self development you do. You can always rebrand, seek other areas of passion, consider entrepreneurship if that's your thing, get a PGD and/or Masters etc. This is the age of information. You can achieve so much, doing various things with no limits. Your mind is the beginning of the limitation.

Anyway, we are a team of tutors pooled from Big4 firms in Nigeria, remotely helping with technical skills such as basic financial accounting, using Excel & Powerpoint like a pro, building financial models, valuation, writing credit proposals and business plans, financial statement analysis, CV & Cover letter review amongst others. You get ALL of these for a discounted one-time payment of N20k only.
We are on IG, FB, LinkedIn and Twitter: Big4prep NG. Website: https://big4prep.com.ng/
Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by Pharaoh4rin(m): 7:07am On Jan 13, 2021
Hassanmaye:

Which course is that

Nuclear Physics then we were migrated to Digital Electronics after NUC revokes their accreditation. Can U imagine?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by Trustedpro: 8:01am On Jan 13, 2021
Hassanmaye:

Waec Hahha how is that possible

Currently I have 2guys that left for Canada after pursuing admission for 3years in Nigeria...they have worked for 4 years now in Canada and they have rebuilt their father's house with 7.5million worth of car. Let me shock you here in Naija...I have a friend earning 180k as salary in NCC...he is currently doing his degree with open university. Na few wey i fit remember be this o. Ji masun!!!

1 Like

Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by Herbephe1(m): 8:15am On Jan 13, 2021
this thread is mind blowing

1 Like

Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by spencerbilly22: 8:34am On Jan 13, 2021
You can get a profile via instaforex review trading platform as well. I think it's a great opportunity to invest money in something really profitable. This platform is reliable as well.
Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by Tonyspecial(m): 9:00am On Jan 13, 2021
Hassanmaye:

Which skill for example??
shoes and handbags making, satlights intonation etc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by dododawa1: 9:33am On Jan 13, 2021
certificate is different from MR DESTINY
Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by dododawa1: 9:41am On Jan 13, 2021
Nigeria education without future, ordinary toothpick we can't produce talkless of COVID 19 vassine.
Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by BluntTheApostle(m): 10:46am On Jan 13, 2021
whyteteeth:

Except the person wants to work in the academic field, I don't think class of degree matters.

Recruiters only use class of degrees as a method of reducing the recruitment pool. Not that they really care about your class of degree.

So, what really gets you a job anywhere in the world is luck/favor.

And in Nigeria, luck/favor, and connection.

That is why I used to tell people to just submit applications even if they don't have the class of degree the recruiters are asking for.

Just submit to as many places as possible.

It is only if you want to advance in the academic field that your class of degree matters.

But in the corporate world, luck and connection are key.

1 Like

Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by Rennerglo: 11:18am On Jan 13, 2021
Anything is possible with God. I graduated with a 3rd class but i presently have a government job and my salary is over 300k. most government jobs don't discriminate as much as private firms

1 Like

Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by bidyahaya(m): 11:32am On Jan 13, 2021
My elder brother got a job with FIRS and he graduated with 3rd Class. Forget grades just be prayerful.
Re: What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? by bidyahaya(m): 11:33am On Jan 13, 2021
Rennerglo:
Anything is possible with God. I graduated with a 3rd class but i presently have a government job and my salary is over 300k. most government jobs don't discriminate as much as private firms
True.
My elder brother graduated with 3rd class and works with FIRS

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The 7 Courses To Replace Mass Communication Degree In Nigeria / Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion / UNIBEN Lecturer Teaching With Bodyguard (Weird)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.