Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,299 members, 7,836,307 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:16 AM

Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice (18755 Views)

Joe Biden Orders All US Flags Around The World To Fly At Half-Mast / Hun Sen, Cambodian PM Orders All US Weapons Destroyed / President Of Uganda Orders A Ban On Sports Betting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by Xzellentgraphic: 2:48pm On Jan 12, 2021
Its well oo
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by tot(f): 2:49pm On Jan 12, 2021
When will African leaders learn to embrace fairness and transparency? Why should social media be shut down during elections?
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by AuwalYusuf812(m): 2:52pm On Jan 12, 2021
No be only the president walker come. I support the issue angry

Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by snoopz: 2:52pm On Jan 12, 2021
see buhari's brother and partner in crime
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by wilemer: 2:52pm On Jan 12, 2021
JChase1:
Not funny.

What app is this pls?
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jan 12, 2021
SilverNorGold:
Nice.... All countries should implement what works best for them...

God bless Africa.

APC man, dont support lack of freedom of speech.

We are a democratic republic, not a Museveni style state.

If pdp was doing the same when they were in power you wont like it. So don't support bad things

1 Like

Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by mrkings84(m): 2:53pm On Jan 12, 2021
Never will I condemn an African leader's ill action anymore towards election..... Cos they are following their White's counterparts (US) who are their role models.......

2 Likes

Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by BlessedNuel: 2:53pm On Jan 12, 2021
Noted
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by Cantonese: 2:53pm On Jan 12, 2021
JidennaJason:
If the Uganda Communications Commission feels shutting down social media will give them an edge over that ancestors sitting on the throne in the coming elections, then it's Okay, but the38 yrs old rascal called Bobi Wine with some questionable character is not the right dude to take over.

And it is appropriate for Museveni, who fought a guerilla war to get to power, to remain on that seat until the last day of his life?

3 Likes

Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by Iamsane: 2:54pm On Jan 12, 2021
thesicilian:
They can still use VPNs.

But truth be told, Facebook and Twitter have no right to block any pro or anti-government accounts, the worst they should do in the interest of the public is to flag extremist accounts, it'll therefore be left to the public to decide for themselves whether to believe their information or not.

Yes, VPN plus their own fibre cable.

1 Like

Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by Creeza(m): 2:54pm On Jan 12, 2021
All of you saying "nice one" your brains are leaking. Shae without social media you'd be able to read and comment on this news?

1 Like

Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by Hypemanshuga: 2:56pm On Jan 12, 2021
JidennaJason:
If the Uganda Communications Commission feels shutting down social media will give them an edge over that ancestors sitting on the throne in the coming elections, then it's Okay, but the38 yrs old rascal called Bobi Wine with some questionable character is not the right dude to take over.

Watch Lia Muhammad follow up this.
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by ofiko123(m): 2:59pm On Jan 12, 2021
It will be very tough to topple Museveni..
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by PervertProphet: 2:59pm On Jan 12, 2021
These Big Tech platforms should be careful how they handle situations like these. With the dictatorial way they shut down POTUS Trump's account and now with the Uganda situation. The Ugandan government retaliating back and shutting down the whole internet space in Uganda.

Other African countries might want to copy this and lots of African businesses online will suffer for this. I think it's time for some smart tech guys to take advantage of this and create OS and alternative platforms away from the Google and Apple monopoly that people can move to.

Dangerous times for businesses online.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by Bmaster(m): 2:59pm On Jan 12, 2021
Okay.
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jan 12, 2021
African leader will African leader
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by Molahnelson(m): 3:01pm On Jan 12, 2021
The election is a scam already, we already knew what will happen, Museveni will not give up power

Bloodbath is looming because of protests

Tell anybody you know in Uganda to stay indoors
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by Lawalemi(m): 3:02pm On Jan 12, 2021
This Museveni is mard.
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by Molahnelson(m): 3:02pm On Jan 12, 2021
PervertProphet:
These Big Tech platforms should be careful how they handle situations like these. With the dictatorial way they shut down POTUS Trump's account and now with the Uganda situation. The Ugandan government retaliating back and shutting down the whole internet space in Uganda.

Other African countries might want to copy this and lots of African businesses online will suffer for this. I think it's time for some smart tech guys to take advantage of this and create OS and alternative platforms away from the Google and Apple monopoly that people can move to.

Dangerous times for businesses online.

Decentralized platform is the way out of the mess

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by Nobody: 3:03pm On Jan 12, 2021
Slackerpenguin2:

APC man, dont support lack of freedom of speech.

We are a democratic republic, not a Museveni style state.

If pdp was doing the same when they were in power you wont like it. So don't support bad things

My brother, I am not in support. You can see my comments on the Trump ban issue. What I am against is HYPOCRISY. Admins and moderators of these social media platforms ARE FAR WORSE! They DO NOT TOLERATE DISSENTING OPINIONS! You get banned for flimsy reasons. They don't like you, you are gone.

MOST OF THEIR RULES ARE AGAINST THE CONSTITUTION! You can't PROTEST, or CHALLENGE their decisions. They are GODS!

So why are they condemning the government for same offense when they are both In pari delicto?

See eh, most times I support the government just to spite the hypocritical people! We ARE FAR WORSE!

LET CHANGE BEGIN WITH US!

God bless Nigeria.
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by backnbeta(f): 3:03pm On Jan 12, 2021
Africa, oh my Africa... undecided
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by pickatyouu: 3:08pm On Jan 12, 2021
Some african leaders dey learn from buhari.
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by Lenient001: 3:10pm On Jan 12, 2021
I bet Nigerian government is gonna adapt system in this knocking election.
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by AsomughaChuks02: 3:12pm On Jan 12, 2021
That Bobi wine just be like Sowore. Give them power they wouldn't know what to do with it. Just doing initial gragra.
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by SalamRushdie: 3:13pm On Jan 12, 2021
Facebook should be banned by any sensible country at this point

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by nonxo007(m): 3:14pm On Jan 12, 2021
If bobi wine wins this might bring the great change in leadership we need in Nigeria.
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by IJEYdiamond(f): 3:16pm On Jan 12, 2021
Mehn!!... Some leaders treatment will be worse than trump ooo... African leaders... Mugabe so they didn't learn from him... .

Uganda Persido ...That old gagoon has not learnt anything... hmmm
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jan 12, 2021
SilverNorGold:

My brother, I am not in support. You can see my comments on the Trump ban issue. What I am against is HYPOCRISY. Admins and moderators of these social media platforms ARE FAR WORSE! They DO NOT TOLERATE DISSENTING OPINIONS! You get banned for flimsy reasons. They don't like you, you are gone.

MOST OF THEIR RULES ARE AGAINST THE CONSTITUTION! You can't PROTEST, or CHALLENGE their decisions. They are GODS!

So why are they condemning the government for same offense when they are both In pari delicto?

See eh, most times I support the government just to spite the hypocritical people! We ARE FAR WORSE!

LET CHANGE BEGIN WITH US!

God bless Nigeria.

So what really?
Twitter isn't the only platform, one can move to other platforms or even start your own.

Not the same as government banning every platform whatever their origin.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Slave Auctions In Libya Mockery Of Africa – Ghana President, Nana Akufo-addo / Jamaican Teen Transvestite Stabbed To Death At Street Dance / PHOTOS: Adama Barrow Takes An Oath At His Inauguration, Officially Sworn In

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.