Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,158 members, 7,818,513 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:42 PM

Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice (18736 Views)

Joe Biden Orders All US Flags Around The World To Fly At Half-Mast / Hun Sen, Cambodian PM Orders All US Weapons Destroyed / President Of Uganda Orders A Ban On Sports Betting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by Onuoha1234(m): 3:18pm On Jan 12, 2021
It is m the platform problem.The other side of the coin is made available.Exposing the pent-up frustrated anger is diffused. It is better than waiting until explosion.
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by Lubumbashi: 3:18pm On Jan 12, 2021
Social media is over rated anyway. It can't win you any election. The mainstream media is more effective, I mean newspapers, radios and TVs. Then in person community mobilization is also necessary.

I wish Ugandans the best. They are learning Nigerian pidgin English fast there.
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by southsouthking(m): 3:19pm On Jan 12, 2021
SkyVpn oya over to you
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by bejeria101(m): 3:20pm On Jan 12, 2021
Fahdiga:
African leaders hate criticism but won't do the right thing to prevent people from criticizing them always

The thing dey pain Dem enter body.
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by Goke7: 3:22pm On Jan 12, 2021
PervertProphet:
These Big Tech platforms should be careful how they handle situations like these. With the dictatorial way they shut down POTUS Trump's account and now with the Uganda situation. The Ugandan government retaliating back and shutting down the whole internet space in Uganda.

Other African countries might want to copy this and lots of African businesses online will suffer for this. I think it's time for some smart tech guys to take advantage of this and create OS and alternative platforms away from the Google and Apple monopoly that people can move to.

Dangerous times for businesses online.

The big tech with their money will buy up any alternative platform

1 Like

Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by lexy2014: 3:23pm On Jan 12, 2021
Queenlovely:
we thought social media would make our world a better place.

but the sad truth is that the social media space is a tyranny of the mob. the faceless forum

Good point
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by JVector: 3:23pm On Jan 12, 2021
Easy blueprint for APC govt to implement anytime.
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by Joseph08(m): 3:23pm On Jan 12, 2021
Liar Mohammed right now grin

Nigerians neva see anytin grin

1 Like

Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by lexy2014: 3:24pm On Jan 12, 2021
Fahdiga:
African leaders hate criticism but won't do the right thing to prevent people from criticizing them always
That's because African leaders feel leadership is their birthright & that they are doing d people a favour by ruling over them. Under normal circumstances, it's supposed to be d other way around
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by tit(f): 3:27pm On Jan 12, 2021
Nice one by Uganda.
Twitter and Facebook think say na only them sabi ban.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by Blackdisciple(m): 3:29pm On Jan 12, 2021
They have given lie Moha'med edge now oo
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by PervertProphet: 3:51pm On Jan 12, 2021
Goke7:

The big tech with their money will buy up any alternative platform

The alternative platforms have an option of refusing to sell plus we need other competing OS. They practically bullied Parler by taking the app off Google Play store and Apple's iOS.

3 Likes

Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by tot(f): 4:23pm On Jan 12, 2021
SilverNorGold:

My brother, I am not in support. You can see my comments on the Trump ban issue. What I am against is HYPOCRISY. Admins and moderators of these social media platforms ARE FAR WORSE! They DO NOT TOLERATE DISSENTING OPINIONS! You get banned for flimsy reasons. They don't like you, you are gone.

MOST OF THEIR RULES ARE AGAINST THE CONSTITUTION! You can't PROTEST, or CHALLENGE their decisions. They are GODS!

So why are they condemning the government for same offense when they are both In pari delicto?

See eh, most times I support the government just to spite the hypocritical people! We ARE FAR WORSE!

LET CHANGE BEGIN WITH US!

God bless Nigeria.

Is it by force you comment here? If the admins and mods do not want you, then take a hike. Nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by singwa: 4:26pm On Jan 12, 2021
Dictators everywhere.
Since '86. 35 years isn't enough for Museveni.
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jan 12, 2021
tot:

Is it by force you comment here? If the admins and mods do not want you, then take a hike. Nonsense.

This my sister dey seriously campaign make them make am moderator.. grin

With the kind hatred wey this my sister get for me, if Seun mistakenly make her a moderator - because of her old account - she go look for any reason to ban me.. That's the truth.. Using em privileges to settle scores.

But Nigeria go better.
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by tot(f): 4:38pm On Jan 12, 2021
SilverNorGold:

This my sister dey seriously campaign make them make am moderator.. grin

With the kind hatred wey this my sister get for me, if Seun mistakenly make her a moderator - because of her old account - she go look for any reason to ban me.. That's the truth.. Using em privileges to settle scores.

But Nigeria go better.

Oh shut it, whining up and down about the mods. Na by force for you to comment?

Rubbish comments as usual. We know you can't change.
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jan 12, 2021
Samsimple:
They can't even try this in Nigeria. Area go scatter

Check my signature

Wetin happen after #ENDSARS killings - no be Stingy Men and Women Association una come face.. shiioooooooor lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by elijahkayode(m): 5:48pm On Jan 12, 2021
Queenlovely:
we thought social media would make our world a better place.

but the sad truth is that the social media space is a tyranny of the mob. the faceless forum

thats Big brother deal with with
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by Flytime: 6:03pm On Jan 12, 2021
Edopesin:
Nigeria government won't dare

Facebook and Twitter need to calm down though, Their attacks on sitting governments are getting out of control
shut up sad

Imagine buhari has been ruling us since 1986

I hope the other guy wins and kick that guy out of the office
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by olamiji98448: 6:13pm On Jan 12, 2021
If bobi wine wins this might bring the great change in leadership we need in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by Coinbased: 6:19pm On Jan 12, 2021
Oh
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by justli: 7:44pm On Jan 12, 2021
Global lawlessness is now official...When Twitter and Facebook became political and made it their lives mission to take down a seating president by any means possible, other government are watching keenly what threat these platforms pose.
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by chubinwa(m): 8:34pm On Jan 12, 2021
So that they can have an express smooth rigging. I weep for Africa
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by Lawalemi(m): 8:44pm On Jan 12, 2021
JidennaJason:
If the Uganda Communications Commission feels shutting down social media will give them an edge over that ancestors sitting on the throne in the coming elections, then it's Okay, but the38 yrs old rascal called Bobi Wine with some questionable character is not the right dude to take over.
Nevertheless, keeping Museveni further in power is a terrible alternative. I pray Bobi Wine wins and never disappoint

2 Likes

Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by Fahdiga(m): 8:44pm On Jan 12, 2021
SilverNorGold:
Nice.... All countries should implement what works best for them... Moderators/ admins cannot be gagging dissenters on their social media platforms while at the same time, blackmailing the government - with freedom of speech and the press NONSENSE they themselves don't respect - to allow their platforms reign supreme without any regulation in the name of "freedom of bla bla bla".. That's sheer HYPOCRISY!

God bless Africa.

My brother, even the social media admins and moderators HATE CRITICISM! You get banned or censored for the SLIGHTEST REASON! Now, that's hypocrisy!

So I am in FULL SUPPORT!

God bless Nigeria.

My brother, I am not in support. You can see my comments on the Trump ban issue. What I am against is HYPOCRISY. Admins and moderators of these social media platforms ARE FAR WORSE! They DO NOT TOLERATE DISSENTING OPINIONS! You get banned for flimsy reasons. They don't like you, you are gone.

MOST OF THEIR RULES ARE AGAINST THE CONSTITUTION! You can't PROTEST, or CHALLENGE their decisions. They are GODS!

So why are they condemning the government for same offense when they are both In pari delicto?

See eh, most times I support the government just to spite the hypocritical people! We ARE FAR WORSE!

God bless Nigeria.
I get you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by Edopesin: 9:28pm On Jan 12, 2021
Flytime:
shut up sad
Imagine buhari has been ruling us since 1986
I hope the other guy wins and kick that guy out of the office
grow up and get some sense
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by Agboriotejoye(m): 10:34pm On Jan 12, 2021
SilverNorGold:
Nice.... All countries should implement what works best for them... Moderators/ admins cannot be gagging dissenters on their social media platforms while at the same time, blackmailing the government - with freedom of speech and the press NONSENSE they themselves don't respect - to allow their platforms reign supreme without any regulation in the name of "freedom of bla bla bla".. That's sheer HYPOCRISY!

God bless Africa.

My brother, even the social media admins and moderators HATE CRITICISM! You get banned or censored for the SLIGHTEST REASON! Now, that's hypocrisy!

So I am in FULL SUPPORT!

God bless Nigeria.

God bless Nigeria.
This arrewa ban still dey pain you like boil on your blockos o.
Anyway, you don't support govt to spite anybody. You support govt because you're a zombie. If it were not so, you won't be writing epistles and defending obvious incompetence. Or who really is the hypocrite between you and "the people" when you claim "change begins with the people" just like Lai Mohd's "change begins with me".

2 Likes

Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by ibkayee(f): 8:15am On Jan 13, 2021
The hatred I have for a good portion of African leaders
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by showafrica(m): 9:26am On Jan 13, 2021
fergie001:
The Uganda Communications Commission has directed all mobile operators to immediately block all access to Facebook, WhatsApp, other social media platforms and online messaging applications, until further notice.

The East African nation go to the polls on Thursday, January 14 in an election pitting incumbent Yoweri Museveni against 10 candidates including opposition front-runner Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu (popularly known as Bobi Wine), a singer-turned-lawmaker whose star power has rattled the ruling party, in a way like never before.

The 38-year-old Bobi Wine and his National Unity Platform have rallied the youths in a bid to challenge the 75-year-old Museveni who has been in office since 1986; using the power of the social media in huge campaigns that have left several of his aides, bodyguards and members of his entourage been arrested, jailed and killed.

Big tech giants, Facebook had on Monday, taken down a network in Uganda linked to the country’s Ministry of Information for using fake and duplicate accounts to post ahead of this week’s presidential election., a move that was roundly criticised by the Government.

SOURCE

Foolish African leaders... Vpn still dey na or RDC
Re: Uganda Orders All Social Media Platforms Shut Until Further Notice by OyinO: 9:54am On Jan 13, 2021
Fahdiga:

Greatest quote. You spoke my mind and forced me to swallow my comment. Kudos!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jamaican Teen Transvestite Stabbed To Death At Street Dance / PHOTOS: Adama Barrow Takes An Oath At His Inauguration, Officially Sworn In / China’s Yangtze River Mysteriously Turns Blood Red

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.