Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,876 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:38 AM

Can A 40kva Generator Power Nine 3hp Air Conditioners? - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Can A 40kva Generator Power Nine 3hp Air Conditioners? (3223 Views)

40kva Soundproof Generator For Sale (Perkins 1,000 Series Engine) / Automatic Air Compressor 3hp 200liters / Perfectly Working 40kva, 30kva & 16kva Soundproof Mikano Generators For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A 40kva Generator Power Nine 3hp Air Conditioners? by Bonn01: 7:20pm On Jan 12, 2021
My workplace wants to purchase a generator and I just want to know if 40kva generator can power 9 3hp Air conditioners
Re: Can A 40kva Generator Power Nine 3hp Air Conditioners? by dawnomike(m): 7:23pm On Jan 12, 2021
Bonn01:
My workplace wants to purchase a generator and I just want to know if 40kva generator can power 9 3hp Air conditioners
50Kva should be more appropriate if all Air conditioners are to be powered simultaneously... But if 40Kva is a last resort, it will still serve the purpose but it might be overloaded if you have to changeover to generator while all your air conditioners are switched.
Re: Can A 40kva Generator Power Nine 3hp Air Conditioners? by azpekuliar: 7:26pm On Jan 12, 2021
Bonn01:

Absolutely!
Re: Can A 40kva Generator Power Nine 3hp Air Conditioners? by rhames(m): 7:35pm On Jan 12, 2021
Bonn01:

It will still serve the purpose and more space for two other heavy equipment. My reason is the Airconditioners are no longer the heavy light consumers they were some decades ago. It will still take three more Airconditioners.

For clarification which of the 3hp are you talking about? Is it the normal one or the three tonnes?
Re: Can A 40kva Generator Power Nine 3hp Air Conditioners? by falcon01: 7:47pm On Jan 12, 2021
Bonn01:
calculate nah, hoe many kva does a single hp air conditioner takes?
Re: Can A 40kva Generator Power Nine 3hp Air Conditioners? by Cuneddy(m): 8:08pm On Jan 12, 2021
1hp=746w
3hp=2238w
3×9hp=20142w

it's very simple.
pls note that the above calculation was gotten with a power factor of 1.
Again, the air conditioners if they are the modern type, I don't see any issue with your plan but if the ancient type, try upgrade the gen. power (factor of safety).
Enjoy

3 Likes

Re: Can A 40kva Generator Power Nine 3hp Air Conditioners? by Polaris1: 10:07pm On Jan 12, 2021
Some Notes for Sizing Generators

Too small a generator will cause voltage fluctuations and damage to the generator or equipment windings.
Too large a generator will cause engine to glaze and carbon up, due to engine loading.

Rule of Thumb
One horse power (1 hp) equals 0.75 kilowatt i.e. 20hp x 0.75 = 15kW

Warm generator up before applying load

Always engage load from largest to smallest
Have an electrician balance the load across all phases for single phase loads

When AC is operating, after start, requirement will be 1kva for 1hp i.e. 20hp – 20kva used when running.

Size the generator to run between 60-80% full load rating of generator

Amps available on a generator per phase = kva x 1.39. i.e. 20kva = 28amps/phase over 3 phases.

Back to your enquiry
40 Kva is good.

But are you sure you wouldn't be powering other equipment (lights, computers, laser printers, copiers. TVs, water pumps etc.) in addition to the A/Cs?
If so. Please consider the envisaged added load in purchasing a Gen. You might just be needing 60Kva.
(Remember to perform required regular maintenance on your generator)

3 Likes

Re: Can A 40kva Generator Power Nine 3hp Air Conditioners? by entrep88: 10:16pm On Jan 12, 2021
If the 40kva is still new or fair condition, it will power it.
Re: Can A 40kva Generator Power Nine 3hp Air Conditioners? by Bonn01: 9:56am On Jan 13, 2021
rhames:

It will still serve the purpose and more space for two other heavy equipment. My reason is the Airconditioners are no longer the heavy light consumers they were some decades ago. It will still take three more Airconditioners.

For clarification which of the 3hp are you talking about? Is it the normal one or the three tonnes?
The normal one

1 Like

Re: Can A 40kva Generator Power Nine 3hp Air Conditioners? by Bonn01: 9:58am On Jan 13, 2021
Thank you everyone for your responses
Re: Can A 40kva Generator Power Nine 3hp Air Conditioners? by 2shure: 11:17am On Jan 13, 2021
Must una use 20 a/c., abi na morgue.
See why naija is dead. No light
Re: Can A 40kva Generator Power Nine 3hp Air Conditioners? by rhames(m): 12:17pm On Jan 13, 2021
Bonn01:
The normal one

It will power them
Re: Can A 40kva Generator Power Nine 3hp Air Conditioners? by Bonn01: 3:42pm On Jan 13, 2021
Polaris1:
Some Notes for Sizing Generators

Too small a generator will cause voltage fluctuations and damage to the generator or equipment windings.
Too large a generator will cause engine to glaze and carbon up, due to engine loading.

Rule of Thumb
One horse power (1 hp) equals 0.75 kilowatt i.e. 20hp x 0.75 = 15kW

Warm generator up before applying load

Always engage load from largest to smallest
Have an electrician balance the load across all phases for single phase loads

When AC is operating, after start, requirement will be 1kva for 1hp i.e. 20hp – 20kva used when running.

Size the generator to run between 60-80% full load rating of generator

Amps available on a generator per phase = kva x 1.39. i.e. 20kva = 28amps/phase over 3 phases.

Back to your enquiry
40 Kva is good.

But are you sure you wouldn't be powering other equipment (lights, computers, laser printers, copiers. TVs, water pumps etc.) in addition to the A/Cs?
If so. Please consider the envisaged added load in purchasing a Gen. You might just be needing 60Kva.
(Remember to perform required regular maintenance on your generator)
Thanks for this detailed information. I'm really grateful. I think we would go for 60KVA because of other machines. Once again thank you
Re: Can A 40kva Generator Power Nine 3hp Air Conditioners? by Raysleek: 3:56pm On Jan 13, 2021
Your 40kva when multiplied by the power factor of 0.8 gives you 32kw.
Your 3hp airconditioner is 3×0.749=~2.5kw on running condition. So 2.5kw x 9= 22.5kw
22.5kw during running conditions.but during starting condition, your acs can even take up to 3times the power depending on the type. Inverter airconditioners don't take much start up current.
Having this in mind, if your coworkers in different start 5 airconditioners simultaneously, you already overloading that generator. And your company might have other various inductive loads and even resistive loads.
Conclusion is on running condition, your generator will work fine but once power comes, different offices rush to put on their airconditioners at the same time, it will over load and damage the gen. Infact the generator breaker will trip

(1) (Reply)

Tanker For Sale (10,000 Litres) / BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? / 2008 Toyota Highlander Lather Seat Limited Full Option Buy Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.