Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:44 PM

BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? (3221 Views)

Abuja. Cheapest Neatly Used BMW X3 2005 on naira land. give away price 750 SOLD / Toyota Recall: How Affected Are We? / The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Oct 01, 2010
BMW car recall being resolved 'quickly' executive says

BMW is working "quickly" to resolve problems that have caused a recall about 350,000 luxury cars worldwide.

Rolls-Royce chairman and BMW executive Ian Robertson told the BBC the firm is "resolving the situation quickly".

The German firm said the recall was due to a fault with the power-braking system but the cars were not unsafe.

The recall affects V8 and V12-powered BMW 5 Series, 6 Series, 7 Series, and Rolls-Royce models produced between July 2001 and November 2009.

Of the total, 11,427 cars - including 905 Rolls-Royces - are in the UK, and 198,000 in the US.

Globally, 348,000 BMWs are affected, plus a further 5,800 Rolls-Royces.

Source link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11452486

Personally, anything to do with braking efficiency would worry me. How can they say the cars weren't unsafe? Cars that weigh between 1,375 - 1,850 kgs, capable of speeds in excess of 155mph (251km/h) with big, heavy V8 / V12 blocks up front, with weak brakes are enough to cause concern to even the bravest of men.

Hope the issues are sorted sooner, rather than later. I wonder how this affects BMW's exported to Africa, outside the dealer network, as personal imports. Will they be catered for?
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by labiyemmy(m): 10:03pm On Oct 01, 2010
Siena - I have the 2006 edition of the 645ci - How can i benefit from this?
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by labiyemmy(m): 10:11pm On Oct 01, 2010
Oh- u already took it out of my mouth - whats gonna happen to those in Africa?
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Oct 01, 2010
If there are official BMW dealerships in Nigeria, they should be able to carry out the rectification work, gratis.
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by BizBooks(m): 5:43am On Oct 02, 2010
Quote from the article:

The German firm said the recall was due to a fault with the power-braking system but the cars were not unsafe.

BMW is making use of double negatives here to muddy the waters. What does "not unsafe" mean. By the time your brain has synthesised it, you have moved on to something else. Why not simply say "the cars were safe".
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by femmy2010(m): 5:59am On Oct 02, 2010
May God help us.
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by Nobody: 12:40pm On Oct 02, 2010
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by hackney(m): 12:42pm On Oct 02, 2010
By african standards they are safe! !
what are you all talking about? ?

lets concentrate on the gullys you call roads here before you complain about small
flaws in a german car.
what an insult from monkeys.

They have owned up that there is a slight issue with the brakes and ppl are taking it too far as if
there is anything like standards in africa.

im annoyed with that rubbish continent in general.
Literally they get nothing right for centuries.
monkeys.
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by SamMilla1(m): 1:24pm On Oct 02, 2010
Jeez! I have never had any problem with mine and the product was manufactured 5 years ago.
So what now ? Send it back or ignore the total recall ?
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by labiyemmy(m): 1:44pm On Oct 02, 2010
hackney:

lets concentrate on the gullys you call roads here before you complain about small
flaws in a german car.

They have owned up that there is a slight issue with the brakes and ppl are taking it too far as if

monkeys.

Heheheheh - why are you making comment on an African forum.

You need to shoot yourself in the head for being an hypocrite.
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by frgy1: 2:16pm On Oct 02, 2010
^^^ u dey mind the fool, enter here dey talk rubish. Wetin we dey talk, wetin hin dey talk
*hiss*
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by BigPhil(m): 2:26pm On Oct 02, 2010
hackney:

flaws in a german car.

monkeys.

You are a  slime drinking tick from a camels back.Bastard.Bloody Homo Erectus.Narrow minded gay.
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by rasputinn(m): 4:33pm On Oct 02, 2010
I guess it did not affect the X6,so I'm safe
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by Mobinga: 4:55pm On Oct 02, 2010
angry Hackney what are you doing on an African forum you bloody retarded hypocrite?
And who or what gave you the right to call africans monkeys, you vile Parkinson-stricken marsupial angry
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by bkbabe97y(m): 6:40pm On Oct 02, 2010
@labiyemmy:

Siena - I have the 2006 edition of the 645ci - How can i benefit from this?

Wow, wut a way to tell us what u whipping. Nice one! Well, since we're in "Boasting Mode". . . . . . . I also whip a Maserati. How can I benefit from this?

P.S: Labiyemmy, I dont doubt that u whip around Broadway and 42nd in ur shiny 2006 645ci; afterall u look like the average Nigerian _______ (fill in the blank) that runs around NY 9am-5pm when other "well-intentioned" folks are hard at work trying to earn a legit pay-check. . . . . Not saying u aint earning a legit pay check tho.
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by bkbabe97y(m): 6:43pm On Oct 02, 2010
rasputinn:

I guess it did not affect the X6,so I'm safe

Lol. Another one. . . . hey, u know I got a Maserati. . . . So I also "guess I'm safe".
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by labiyemmy(m): 7:11pm On Oct 02, 2010
BK or whatever you call yourself.

I wouldnt have found it necessary to reply you - afterall - over 500 people read the same thing before you, in your idiocy pokes your nose like a pig's, seing that you think everyone is like you, I tell you, come around to where i live, where i work, you wont only find a 645ci - you will also find Mercedes Benz CLS 500, Toyota Solara and many others. So, if you are sad, and you got headache because i say i ride a BMW, i will gladly give you a gun with which to shoot yourself with. And if my looks worry you, and you think i dont do "hardwork", send your application to my company Third Dimension Technologies - and if you cant find your way around to drop your application, simply buy a sat nav (do you even know what a sat nav is) which by God's grace is the "hardwork" and handiwork that we are proud to have masterminded not only in Nigeria but in Ghana as well. And go to Unilag and ask who i am or at best search the internet and you will know me and you are not in the same category. slowpoke.

Moth er F ucker. Stay where you are, run your mouth, as if it can hold water- but watch your back - someone will teach you a lesson you wont forget for talking ras against them.

Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by snowdrops(m): 7:26pm On Oct 02, 2010
I wonder what they mean by the v8 and v12 powered engine. They should be more specific for those not that automobile savvy

I have the 2006 520 diesel
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Oct 02, 2010
crazy year for carmakers undecided undecided

seems to de tied in to the dangers of overdependence on design software

catia are prolly getting a lot of nasty mails from customers
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by Busybody2(f): 7:33pm On Oct 02, 2010
Sam Milla:

Jeez! I have never had any problem with mine and the product was manufactured 5 years ago.
So what now ? Send it back or ignore the total recall ?

Relax, no one's ever died yet from having to use their feet to apply a teeny weeny bit of extra pedal power yet, if the power braking system fails to engage na, haba cheesy

At most, reason cars are being recalled is due to the potential of being sued for being sold short or misrepresentation or not being fit for purpose. And i bet it is the female of the species that would prolly be at the helm of such class action for the pedals ruining their perfectly manicured toe nails. I doubt men would be bothered with a lil bit of extra vroom vroom acshun tongue

chaircover:

I applaud BMW for publicly stepping out to try and make good this issue.

As they said, there havent been any reported accidents as a result of this flaw in the braking system & bearing in mind that the issue affects cars manufactured over an 8 year period, we are talking a lot of cars here.

Hopefully the BMW brand & sales will not be negatively affected by this development.

Also Hopefully other manufacturers all over the world will learn from this and try to make good the flaws in their products even of it means negative publicity.

Safety should always come first before money.

Shush, don't say i told you, but word on the street is that Gestapo actioned this recall, because of you shocked She gets around you know and she has a lot of clout cheesy

She is vexed you fayawo'd the car thru the bush to evade bribing her and greasing her palm so you see you have to drop your beemer at the Local authorised repair centre and guess who is going to personally collect the car keys from you shocked Gestapo herself in a blond wig grin You have been warned, don't say i didn't tell you oh . . . er . . . er . . . opps . . . no that came out wrong, i'm supposed to say "remember i didn't tell you", yeah thats it tongue cheesy grin grin
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by AloyEmeka5: 8:05pm On Oct 02, 2010
Siena:

If there are official BMW dealerships in Nigeria, they should be able to carry out the rectification work, gratis.

Coscharis is an official BMW, Ford and GM  dealer in Nigeria. They should be able to take care of it in Nigeria at no cost.
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Oct 02, 2010
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Oct 02, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Coscharis is an official BMW, Ford and GM  dealer in Nigeria. They should be able to take care of it in Nigeria at no cost.

There you go, so no problems for users in Nigeria. Not sure if it will be entirely gratis though.

@labiyemmy:

BK or whatever you call yourself.

I wouldnt have found it necessary to reply you - afterall - over 500 people read the same thing before you, in your idiocy pokes your nose like a pig's, seing that you think everyone is like you, I tell you, come around to where i live, where i work, you wont only find a 645ci - you will also find Mercedes Benz CLS 500, Toyota Solara and many others. So, if you are sad, and you got headache because i say i ride a BMW, i will gladly give you a gun with which to shoot yourself with. And if my looks worry you, and you think i dont do "hardwork", send your application to my company Third Dimension Technologies - and if you cant find your way around to drop your application, simply buy a sat nav (do you even know what a sat nav is) which by God's grace is the "hardwork" and handiwork that we are proud to have masterminded not only in Nigeria but in Ghana as well. And go to Unilag and ask who i am or at best search the internet and you will know me and you are not in the same category. slowpoke.

Moth er F ucker. Stay where you are, run your mouth, as if it can hold water- but watch your back - someone will teach you a lesson you wont forget for talking ras against them.

Brother Yemi, I wouldn't bother trying to justify or prove anything to BK, it's all wasted effort.

@ all: so far, it appears only 3, 5 and 7 series models are affected. So that leaves out all the SUV's, 6 series and the GT out, though the GT is itself 5 series-based. Normally, manufacturers will contact those who's cars are affected.
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Oct 02, 2010
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by Mobinga: 8:22pm On Oct 02, 2010
Siena:

Brother Yemi, I wouldn't bother trying to justify or prove anything to BK, it's all wasted effort.
grin grin
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Oct 02, 2010
chaircover:

siena, my understanding is that it is the 5, 6 & 7 series that are affected, with the 1 & 3 series ok. I stand to be corrected though.

Chaircover, you're very correct, my mistake. That means a broader spectrum of users will be affected.
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by chelseabmw(m): 11:36pm On Oct 02, 2010
Be My Wife. . . . . BMW

Always number one
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by Nobody: 11:46pm On Oct 02, 2010
chelseabmw:

Be My Wife. . . . . BMW
Always number one

Lol. How's things with you bro?
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by snowdrops(m): 12:04am On Oct 03, 2010
Its not all the 5,6, or 7 series that are affected only the v8 and v12 powered engine. But i still am unsure as to the specific models that would be recalled.
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by kabukabu50(m): 6:50am On Oct 03, 2010
Thanks to the moderators for shutting down my account,for posting the direct newsletter from BMW USA concerning the recall, lipsrsealed lipsrsealed, which obviuosly wasn't "SPAM".Get it together guys,you have an easy enough job, theres no point in making such obvious mistakes.
Re: BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? by hinduism(f): 10:15am On Oct 03, 2010
Why must such insignificant thing affect a real man when the World is eyeing White House and Aso Rock.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Opel Omega 1997 Model For Sale 650 / Truck Head For Sale (iveco 190-35) From Italy: Cheap! / Super Clean 1999 Honda CRV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.