Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,473 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:38 PM

Over $200 Million Worth Of Btc Lost! - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Over $200 Million Worth Of Btc Lost! (680 Views)

How Make $200 On VISTALOG ( Is Vistalog Legit) / BREAKING: Crypto CEO dies with the password to unlock $200+ million of customers / Get Free $3 Worth Of BTC For Signup To A Forum Like Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Over $200 Million Worth Of Btc Lost! by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jan 14, 2021
A bitcoiner has shared his story of how he lost access to his 7,002 bitcoins, worth about $240 million at the current price. He has lost the piece of paper on which he wrote his password and now has two guesses left before his device seizes up and encrypts its contents forever.

7,002 Bitcoins Worth $240 Million at Stake
Stefan Thomas, a German-born programmer living in San Francisco, has been unable to access his 7,002 bitcoins, which is worth almost $240 million at the current price, the New York Times reported Tuesday.

He stored the private key for his bitcoins on a small, encrypted hard drive known as an Ironkey, and wrote the password to the device down on paper. However, he said he lost the piece of paper where he wrote down the password years ago. The device gives users 10 guesses before it seizes up and encrypts its contents forever. He has used up eight of the 10 allotments without success. He was quoted as saying:

I would just lay in bed and think about it. Then I would go to the computer with some new strategy, and it wouldn’t work, and I would be desperate again.

Thomas explained that he was attracted to bitcoin partly because it was outside the control of a country or company. He was given the 7,002 bitcoins in 2011 while living in Switzerland by an early bitcoiner for making the famous animated video entitled “What is Bitcoin?”

Being unable to access his bitcoins while its value soared, fall, and soared again has made Thomas rethink the idea of being his own bank and holding onto his own money, the publication conveyed. “This whole idea of being your own bank — let me put it this way, ‘Do you make your own shoes?’ The reason we have banks is that we don’t want to deal with all those things that banks do,” he opined.

Nonetheless, the programmer said he now has access to enough bitcoin to make him richer than he knows what to do with. In addition, he joined cryptocurrency startup Ripple in 2012 and was rewarded XRP. Ripple is currently facing a lawsuit by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) over XRP.

Thomas said that he has put his Ironkey in a safe place in case cryptographers are able to crack complex passwords in the future. Emphasizing that he is keeping the device far from him to avoid being obsessed over it, he concluded:

I got to a point where I said to myself, ‘Let it be in the past, just for your own mental health.’
Re: Over $200 Million Worth Of Btc Lost! by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jan 14, 2021
What would you do if you are to be the one?
Re: Over $200 Million Worth Of Btc Lost! by Molahnelson(m): 7:41pm On Jan 14, 2021
I buy some old foreign used laptop, I saw wallet.dat file

The problem is the file is encrypted
Re: Over $200 Million Worth Of Btc Lost! by luvlyoracle(m): 7:47pm On Jan 14, 2021
Mine too...
Re: Over $200 Million Worth Of Btc Lost! by SocialJustice: 8:06pm On Jan 14, 2021
Wow! Huge loss.

I saw this story on BBC. This guy just wasted his opportunity to become very rich.

Good thing he's moving on, unlike some people that will get depressed and commit suicide. I'm not mocking anyone please because the Internet prefers to misunderstand and make a fuss out of nothing.
Re: Over $200 Million Worth Of Btc Lost! by joinnow: 11:10pm On Jan 14, 2021
Molahnelson:
I buy some old foreign used laptop, I saw wallet.dat file

The problem is the file is encrypted
send it to me to see if i can crack it no harm in trial then we share 50/50
Re: Over $200 Million Worth Of Btc Lost! by Kobicove(m): 11:17pm On Jan 14, 2021
joinnow:

And if you can't, what happens? undecided
Re: Over $200 Million Worth Of Btc Lost! by Molahnelson(m): 11:27pm On Jan 14, 2021
joinnow:

How you want take crack am
Re: Over $200 Million Worth Of Btc Lost! by joinnow: 12:00am On Jan 15, 2021
Kobicove:

And if you can't, what happens? undecided

move on bro
Re: Over $200 Million Worth Of Btc Lost! by Nobody: 9:06am On Jan 15, 2021
SocialJustice:
Wow! Huge loss.

I saw this story on BBC. This guy just wasted his opportunity to become very rich.

Good thing he's moving on, unlike some people that will get depressed and commit suicide. I'm not mocking anyone please because the Internet prefers to misunderstand and make a fuss out of nothing.

He actually got it for free, maybe he is not destined for free cash
Re: Over $200 Million Worth Of Btc Lost! by SocialJustice: 9:13am On Jan 15, 2021
Akamariner:

He actually got it for free, maybe he is not destined for free cash
Getting something for free doesn't mean it should be thrown away.

This mistake will haunt him until he dies.
Re: Over $200 Million Worth Of Btc Lost! by Nobody: 9:18am On Jan 15, 2021
SocialJustice:
Getting something for free doesn't mean it should be thrown away.

This mistake will haunt him until he dies.

And that also mean, less 7,002 btc in circulation, out of the 21million total.
Re: Over $200 Million Worth Of Btc Lost! by SocialJustice: 9:24am On Jan 15, 2021
Akamariner:

And that also mean, less 7,002 btc in circulation, out of the 21million total.
Yes, a lot of bitcoins are lost already. Google it.

(1) (Reply)

TRX And DOGE Doublers / Types Of LPG - Propane And Butane - And Their Applications / UK 49 Teatime Banker For Today 11 Oct 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.