Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,508 members, 7,819,839 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

Showcasing The Diversity Of Igbo Cuisine - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Showcasing The Diversity Of Igbo Cuisine (2033 Views)

Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? / Part Of Igbo Land Where You Mustn’t Kill A Python / Americans/Canadians Of Igbo Ancestry Storm Anambra, Get Igbo Names, Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Showcasing The Diversity Of Igbo Cuisine by Shiver99: 7:22am On Jan 15, 2021
yanabasee1:

What's the difference between Isi Ewu and Nkwobi?

The base ingredient (the meat) is different.

Some clans prepare the two in slightly different ways as well.
Re: Showcasing The Diversity Of Igbo Cuisine by Shiver99: 7:23am On Jan 15, 2021
Ok...my fingers are tired y'll. grin

But there are still so many traditional igbo foods that have not been showcased. Please feel free to post any that haven't been posted.
Re: Showcasing The Diversity Of Igbo Cuisine by Shiver99: 7:32am On Jan 15, 2021
Ji agworoagwo

Awai Nduku/jiwannu

Anyu na ji

1 Like

Re: Showcasing The Diversity Of Igbo Cuisine by Shiver99: 7:43am On Jan 15, 2021
In order

ofe mpoto

ofe ndele

ofe orima

ofe ugbogoro

1 Like

Re: Showcasing The Diversity Of Igbo Cuisine by Shiver99: 8:03am On Jan 15, 2021
In order

Ofe mgbasa nmanu

ofe ubo

ofe ikakaa

ofe ose ani

2 Likes

Re: Showcasing The Diversity Of Igbo Cuisine by Shiver99: 8:29am On Jan 15, 2021
In order

Ofe arugbe

Ofe Okpom

2 Likes

Re: Showcasing The Diversity Of Igbo Cuisine by Shiver99: 8:41am On Jan 15, 2021
In order

Anigha

Ji Awai Onugbu

Ji na Agwa

Awai Ogede

Ok, I'm tired now. Will be back later.

1 Like

Re: Showcasing The Diversity Of Igbo Cuisine by gbowoade85142: 9:56am On Jan 15, 2021
In order:Ji mmri Oku (Yam-based peppersoup)Peppersoup (with assorted fish/meat)Ofe ede
Re: Showcasing The Diversity Of Igbo Cuisine by Shiver99: 11:17am On Jan 15, 2021
Fellow Igbos please post your own foods if you can.
Re: Showcasing The Diversity Of Igbo Cuisine by Shiver99: 2:48am On Jan 16, 2021
Re: Showcasing The Diversity Of Igbo Cuisine by Nobody: 7:40am On Jan 16, 2021
descarado:
Some of the soups up there are not igbo soups. It's better to say Nigerian delicacies.

Don't know if you guys deliberately do this to incite quarrel which generates traffic for this site.

This aside, good job.

Can you name the soups here that are not igbo soups but "Nigerian delicacies"?

3 Likes

Re: Showcasing The Diversity Of Igbo Cuisine by Shiver99: 12:47pm On Jan 16, 2021
emmysexxy

Kriss216

Slap44

Obalatule

Thaoriginator

Noneroone

Yujin

Proznac2

Bobjack

Helinues

Emulsy

Idunaoba

Tynasparks

Cnanu

Gwafaezioku

Bulldozer90

Alfo65

Toolsguru

Dialfa

Lemming

Popular2

Narcop

Odugu321
Re: Showcasing The Diversity Of Igbo Cuisine by pazienza(m): 2:08pm On Jan 16, 2021
Important to note that in Igbo land, soups and swallow are not put in same plate but MUST be put in separate plates.
Because I notice that some Igbos are beginning to copy alien cultures around us.

5 Likes

Re: Showcasing The Diversity Of Igbo Cuisine by descarado: 3:55pm On Jan 16, 2021
Ardar:

Can you name the soups here that are not igbo soups but "Nigerian delicacies"?

Some are world, African and west African soups.
Egwusi is west African so is groundnut soup.
Actually, groundnut soup is native to middle belt and Yoruba etc more than igbo.
Okra is native to Asia.

Even our ofe akwù is the most traditional soup in a particular tribe in Ghana. Just that theirs isn't thick like ours. We have soups that are strictly ours which the @op represented very well.

You will be surprised that more than 7 of the soups up there are prepared in west Africa too not to talk of Africa e.g. ahihiara is native to Egypt

We have ogiri but do you know that Gambia have ogiri too?
The same ingredient, the same name but different method of preparation.yet the same result.
Cocoyam is widely used by us and seen as igbo but it's borrowed.
I am an avid fan of world cuisines and I spent some of my free time watching how countries prepare their natives. Lots of shocking discoveries and when you dig deeper, more shock.

I love the thread by the way.
Re: Showcasing The Diversity Of Igbo Cuisine by descarado: 3:57pm On Jan 16, 2021
pazienza:
Important to note that in Igbo land, soups and swallow are not put in same plate but MUST be put in separate plates.
Because I notice that some Igbos are beginning to copy alien cultures around us.
What is wrong in putting them in one plate, pazienza?
Happy New year to you.
Re: Showcasing The Diversity Of Igbo Cuisine by Bulldozer90: 4:43pm On Jan 16, 2021
descarado:

Actually, groundnut soup is native to middle belt and Yoruba etc more than igbo.
Okra is native to Asia.

Even our ofe akwù is the most traditional soup in a particular tribe in Ghana. Just that theirs isn't thick like ours. We have soups that are strictly ours which the @op represented very well.

You will be surprised that more than 7 of the soups up there are prepared in west Africa too not to talk of Africa e.g. ahihiara is native to Egypt

The same ingredient, the same name but different method of preparation.yet the same result.
I am an avid fan of world cuisines and I spent some of my free time watching how countries prepare their natives. Lots of shocking discoveries and when you dig deeper, more shock.

Your post is incoherent, your claims completely lacking in proof and laughable at best. Not even a foreigner would attempt this idiocy. You seem already intimidated by the richness and aura which these Igbo delicacies portray.

2 Likes

Re: Showcasing The Diversity Of Igbo Cuisine by Shiver99: 4:26am On Jan 17, 2021
descarado:

Okra is native to Asia.

Ok, I see what you mean. But the fact that there are multiple foods shared between West Africans (that aren't as a result of migration) points to our shared origins.

Okro, ahihiara are all indigenous Nigerian plants that grow wild across Africa. Even if they weren't, it wouldnt stop the foods from being Authentic Igbo.

Many Europeans base the bulk of their traditional foods on potatoes and they were only introduced to them a few centuries ago.

Yoruba Also have their own version of ofe ahihiara, the infamous ewedu. Using that logic, that is not a real Yoruba meal at all.

3 Likes

Re: Showcasing The Diversity Of Igbo Cuisine by Shiver99: 4:28am On Jan 17, 2021
Btw, do any Igbos know the name of traditional Igbo steamed cake made out of cassave and turned with vegetables?

And the name of a soup made out of cassava leaves?

1 Like

Re: Showcasing The Diversity Of Igbo Cuisine by pazienza(m): 8:26pm On Jan 17, 2021
descarado:

What is wrong in putting them in one plate, pazienza?
Happy New year to you.

Putting soup and swallow in same plate to an Igbo doesn't look "tidy".

No well rooted Igbo man will do that. Igbo parents will rebuke the devil out of you if you try it at home , because to us, it looks unpleasant to the eyes and a mark of someone who is not neat.

My mother use to rebuke me when I ate soup and have the soup stain the swallow. She calls it " Nni mpito" (food eyesore) and this was with swallow and soup separated. You can imagine what the whole idea of having the swallow and Soup in same plate will look like to her. In traditional Igbo setting, you are expected to eat soup and swallow in different plates and you are expected to ensure you don't leave soup stains on the swallow so that if you couldn't finish it, someone else could still eat it without feeling nauseated by the sight of it.

NB: I am in no way judging groups who put swallow and soup on same plate. I'm merely explaining traditional Igbo world view of such act.

6 Likes

Re: Showcasing The Diversity Of Igbo Cuisine by descarado: 3:31pm On Jan 18, 2021
Shiver99:

Ok, I see what you mean. But the fact that there are multiple foods shared between West Africans (that aren't as a result of migration) points to our shared origins.

Okro, ahihiara are all indigenous Nigerian plants that grow wild across Africa. Even if they weren't, it wouldnt stop the foods from being Authentic Igbo.

Many Europeans base the bulk of their traditional foods on potatoes and they were only introduced to them a few centuries ago.

Yoruba Also have their own version of ofe ahihiara, the infamous ewedu. Using that logic, that is not a real Yoruba meal at all.
Thank u for your understanding and unbiased view.
Re: Showcasing The Diversity Of Igbo Cuisine by Probz(m): 12:57am On Oct 29, 2023
post=98073159:
For the best kinda soups and foods in our darling country, give it to the Calabars and the Igbos!

It is always oh la la.
You can't get tired of our delicacies lailai!

#OneNigeriaWeStand
#OneNigeriaWeBelieve

God bless Nigeria.

Oha Soup......one of our favorite...oh la la tongue
And Ila-alasepo is one of the best soup from our Yoruba people too.
Always on point tongue

Naija is sooo blessed mehn!

Edika-ikong and Efo-riro are just like brothers and sisters for real..
Pics way below....

No to Ila alasepo (unless it’s Ondo-made). That stuff is garbage. With the exception of that one state, Yoruba people don’t know how to cook okro. Their own version of draw soup is more akin to ewedu (apon-ogbono isn’t big among Yorubas, and any-road they tend not to cook it properly) so they don’t combine okro with ogbono unless they’ve learnt elsewhere and they don’t rely on fine hand-chopping to get the okra gelatinous enough from the seed to draw so either it doesn’t draw or they use the most nonsensical methods to try and get it to. It’s very bad.

No shade, no hard feelings but cooking ogbono/okro is by-and-large not a natural strong point of Yorubas. Only Ondo/Ondo-related people do it well.

1 Like

Re: Showcasing The Diversity Of Igbo Cuisine by Probz(m): 1:10am On Oct 29, 2023
pazienza:

Our world’s a very big world and one that doesn’t revolve around Igbo people and customs from one particular time. If the swallow and ofe are in the same plate and it’s just for you (not on the off-chance of feeding a family around you), and what? Who’s going to die?

1 Like

Re: Showcasing The Diversity Of Igbo Cuisine by Probz(m): 1:12am On Oct 29, 2023
yanabasee1:

What's the difference between Isi Ewu and Nkwobi?

Isi ewu’s made with goat head. Nkwobi with cow feet.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

25 Things You Should Know About Calabar And Her People / Why Should A Lady Expose Her Body Like This In Public? / The Great Oba Of Benin Joins His Ancestors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.