Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:38 AM

Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire (3257 Views)

Sex Scandal: Catholic Schools Is The Best To Send Children To - Reno / BREAKING: FG Lists Conditions For Reopening Schools, Varsities / We Are Considering Reopening Schools After Interstate Travel Ban- Emeka Nwajiuba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by ileh(m): 12:13pm On Jan 15, 2021
Mumu
Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jan 15, 2021
Maybe u should go to NIMC Centre or market and see how well they are coordinated, if you think schools can't do any better then u're worse than our government who has relegated our education because they don't value it meanwhile they keep organizing political campaigns without the so call social distancing etc.
And if u must know, covid19 is a viral infection and those organisms can easily mutate unlike bacteria so eradicating them is not what can be achieve in a very few year because if it that easy even our common flu would have been eradicated knowing fully well they belong to a family of viruses, so weather we like it or not covid19 has come to stay and we have to move on with our lives.
Let me quote gov Yahaya Bello of kogi state; "why shot down economy for a disease that has recovery rate of as high as greater than 95%" endangering the lives of citizens and their means of livelihood considering how many people have lost their means of livelihood owing to the lock down. Now my question is, Is kogi state not still part of Nigeria or has the covid19 killed them all? All I see here is a misplaced priority with our fed govt.
These days u open news platforms insecurity, kidnapping, rape, all sorts of crimes has become the order of the day and you think it has nothing to do with students being kept at home for almost a year. An idle mind which they say is d devil's workshop, u keep a final student who had already planned his life at home Joblessly in this harsh economy for abt a year and you don't think he'll engage in whatever means to make money.
My brother we've wasted and lost alot, it's high time we moved forward like China have done.

Don't mind my grammatical blunders, I'm not an English student�

2 Likes

Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by VictorUSA(m): 12:37pm On Jan 15, 2021
You smoke igbo ni?
Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by VictorUSA(m): 12:42pm On Jan 15, 2021
Timafee:
With the production and distribution of vaccines, I think it wise that the government exercises caution as to reopening nursery to Secondary schools. It would be shameful to allow so many deaths occur with the vaccine just a few months away.

If the UK can impose a second lockdown, I think the least we can do is exercise restraint when thinking about reopening our schools.
so what are u saying now ?
Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by VictorUSA(m): 12:45pm On Jan 15, 2021
shitshappen:

For saying him mind and making sense?
what sense did he make? u wan mad like im abi?
Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by VictorUSA(m): 12:47pm On Jan 15, 2021
Fulcrum15:

In your overzealous effort to comment you ve missed the point again. Your case is a case of ignorance and myopia..
ur case is a case of mental illness
Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by VictorUSA(m): 12:48pm On Jan 15, 2021
Fulcrum15:
You are a stupid fellow.
seriously as stupid as u are
Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by VictorUSA(m): 12:49pm On Jan 15, 2021
Fulcrum15:
Fool!!!
Fool!!!
Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by VictorUSA(m): 12:50pm On Jan 15, 2021
Fulcrum15:

Your reply shows how a backward ignorant deluded idiot thinks and replies to opinions different from his..
exactly like u
Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by VictorUSA(m): 12:51pm On Jan 15, 2021
8BowlofFlour:
This is a dilemma between education and safety of lives. The later should always come first
How old are u?
Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by VictorUSA(m): 12:54pm On Jan 15, 2021
8BowlofFlour:
This is a dilemma between education and safety of lives. The later should always come first
life is nothing without education
Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by VictorUSA(m): 12:55pm On Jan 15, 2021
khingTony:

What about clubs and markets? Bars and restaurants? Churches/ mosques and public transports? Street football and even competitive ones? Can't coronavirus be transmitted in these places?
very good question
Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by VictorUSA(m): 12:58pm On Jan 15, 2021
ennywealth:
If you want to grow your follower on IG without stress, I mean no stress� DM me now! Please note this, its not free o��

Don't sleep on it�

IG follower grow, join the group now

https:///IwehJoj2eoC69M4ltolch4

First 100 people will pay 1k and collect the link��� hurry now!
THIEF
Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by VictorUSA(m): 1:03pm On Jan 15, 2021
Lyrics269:
Covid 19 does not exist in Nigeria
just as u dont exist in Nigeria
Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by VictorUSA(m): 1:05pm On Jan 15, 2021
joxxy01:
Bros Oil dey ur Head, I am yet to hear that any school around my environment recorded any case of covid 19 and somebody Is saying they lock school down again... I mean, the hype around this disease is just so sickening, its even worst than the disease it self.
oil dey ur head too

1 Like

Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by VictorUSA(m): 1:10pm On Jan 15, 2021
U be Hausa man ?
Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by IamDavid(m): 1:44pm On Jan 15, 2021
BENARI:
While I am totally against another full lockdown, I am equally against the reopening of not all schools, but nursery, primary, and secondary schools. Reason being that this schools bring pupils in very close contact with one another daily; forget all the Face Shield and Hand Washing protocols. In the last term, my kids wore thier face Shields daily, carried their hand sanitizers in thier school bags daily, and the school provided humidifiers, hand sanitizers, and hand washing points in the school, but they didn't prevent the kids from catching cold repeatedly as is always the case whenever school is in session. I even suspect without hard proof though, that one of my kids could have contracted the virus, because on the particular day he was mildly ill and was not in school, I called in to the school, and the class teacher confirmed to me that about 4 other pupils besides mine where also not in school because of illness on a class oc 13 pupils. Funny enough my wife and I had very similar symptoms within a space of 48hours, but thankfully we got better without taking any drugs. We decided to at least for a time allow our body fight it rather than taking any drugs that could weaken the immune system.

During the same last term, our kids school to my surprise invited parents for open day not minding the effect it could have. Yes parents were asked to put on thier masks, but many were simply covering their mouths with it while the nose which is the entry and exit for the virus were usually left uncovered. Some other parent complained of breathing difficulties and would generally just shift the mask under the jaw.

While in the school, even with all the supposed stage management the school management must have done to convince the visiting parents of following the civid19 protocols, you could clearly see that it was not practicable protecting the kids from themselves(no time to go into all the details of what I saw with regards the kids and their supposed protective gears).

My point Is this, for some reason, the last wave of this virus was not so deadly as we originally feared, but this time around with the virus mutating and becoming more resistant, it looks like we are dealing with something far deadlier. Yes I've heard many say people are going to the markets, churches, mosques and all. But the school environment is a different one. Those who have refused to go to the churches and mosques, who wear their face masks and exercise maximum caution whenever they have to visit the markets(and ofcourse there are many such people), will unfortunately be very vulnerable with thier kids forced to return back to school irrespective of whatever measures the school say they are putting in place. Children will always be children; no one can reallly prevent them from doing what they do when they come together. As far as I know, face Shield is no barrier to an airborne virus, it can only prevent saliva from reaching the eyes not a floating virus and they cannot were face masks for the length of time they're expected to be in class.

I however think those in tertiary education can go back to school especially those who live in campus. For those who go from home, given that most of them are young adults who understand what protecting oneself is all about, they'll do better at managing the spread of the virus, better still they can go virtual as is been done in other parts of the world now. Most tertiary students will need very little if any help from parent in taking thier studies online.

It seems to me that the directive to resume school on the 18th is the government caving in to pressure from the public, and that is understandable, but given what we've seen with this virus in the last 2 months, I'm afraid we might be playing with fire by letting the kids come together from monday next week. I hope I'm wrong though, but surely, the fastest way to spread this virus and any airborne disease is through basic schools.

For those who may want to attack me, please note that I'm not ignorant of the challenges that many of you particularly parents are having to deal with with the children at home. And for the teachers and those in school employment, I understand how continuing school closure will affect your means of livelihood. The fact is, either way, it's a tragic situation and I wish everyone the very best while we hope the virus abates again like it did last year until the vaccine begins to arrive.

Good luck everyone.
I initially wanted to lash you but I decided not to do so anymore since you explained yourself in details. However, you should know this is our reality. Every sector has moved on, why should the education sector suffer? If you know what this pandemic has caused people... You'd think again. Apparently, given the local health reports from everyone as individuals, most people have had their visits of the virus. It's almost inevitable. It just doesn't make sense to stop education because of this virus. Think am well.
Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by SirWarlock: 2:00pm On Jan 15, 2021
solmusdesigns:
A very tricky situation

Opening schools has Economic values,
Shutting down has lots and lots of health safety

Vaccines are won't be massively available till March
or next year grin. Vaccines that get into this country will be limited.
Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by ileh(m): 2:05pm On Jan 15, 2021
You re mad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by XtensiveMade: 2:33pm On Jan 15, 2021
Op is already working and making money that is why he doesn’t care about others still in school

If that is the case , the economy should be totally closed down

No work and market, let’s see if op will still have such opinion

Rubbish

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by alphaRego01(m): 3:07pm On Jan 15, 2021
Na wetin de kill us nigerians.we forget to be considrate when matters dont affect us.

Am sure if dis Op were a teacher,de brain will not think of taking time to write this trash.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by damiloIaduke: 3:10pm On Jan 15, 2021
alphaRego01:
Na wetin de kill us nigerians.we forget to be considrate when matters dont affect us.

Am sure if dis Op were a teacher,de brain will not think of taking time to write this trash.

exactly bro
Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by Kayberg: 3:28pm On Jan 15, 2021
Timafee:
With the production and distribution of vaccines, I think it wise that the government exercises caution as to reopening nursery to Secondary schools. It would be shameful to allow so many deaths occur with the vaccine just a few months away.

If the UK can impose a second lockdown, I think the least we can do is exercise restraint when thinking about reopening our schools.

Is the vaccine the cure to COVID-19?
Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by BENARI: 4:35pm On Jan 15, 2021
alphaRego01:

You're making sense. But teachers are humans and can contract, die, and even infect thier loved ones with the virus. However, hunger is real, I know that, but I'll rather suffer hunger for a while than take a chance with the disease simply because I want to be considerate.
Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by samuelpeters(m): 4:56pm On Jan 15, 2021
Hmmmm....
Make I de go jare...
I have nothing to say to OP but..

But let me say this; Covid-19 has a high recovery rate, which is an advantage to us.
If this virus is deadly as they make it seem, we would have dead bodies all over the streets whether we are testing 5 or 2000 per day.

Viruses cannot be cured. You can only use vaccine to build your immune system that would stop the spread. Nigerians even have high immunity because of our dirty environment and diseases we face and survive everyday.

So what we need as a country is to stop copying what the west are doing. Let us for once do things uniquely. Open everywhere and make sure everyone strictly adhere to protocols put in place.
Most of us have contracted it and got cured without knowing. Because our immunity is everly active.

Why Lock Education while other places that pose high risk of contracting the virus are all open

In all; OP your idea will not fly this time.

©️2021.
Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by Dreamliner787(m): 5:49pm On Jan 15, 2021
[[s][/s]quote author=BENARI post=98074581]While I am totally against another full lockdown, I am equally against the reopening of not all schools, but nursery, primary, and secondary schools. Reason being that this schools bring pupils in very close contact with one another daily; forget all the Face Shield and Hand Washing protocols. In the last term, my kids wore thier face Shields daily, carried their hand sanitizers in thier school bags daily, and the school provided humidifiers, hand sanitizers, and hand washing points in the school, but they didn't prevent the kids from catching cold repeatedly as is always the case whenever school is in session. I even suspect without hard proof though, that one of my kids could have contracted the virus, because on the particular day he was mildly ill and was not in school, I called in to the school, and the class teacher confirmed to me that about 4 other pupils besides mine where also not in school because of illness on a class oc 13 pupils. Funny enough my wife and I had very similar symptoms within a space of 48hours, but thankfully we got better without taking any drugs. We decided to at least for a time allow our body fight it rather than taking any drugs that could weaken the immune system.

During the same last term, our kids school to my surprise invited parents for open day not minding the effect it could have. Yes parents were asked to put on thier masks, but many were simply covering their mouths with it while the nose which is the entry and exit for the virus were usually left uncovered. Some other parent complained of breathing difficulties and would generally just shift the mask under the jaw.

While in the school, even with all the supposed stage management the school management must have done to convince the visiting parents of following the civid19 protocols, you could clearly see that it was not practicable protecting the kids from themselves(no time to go into all the details of what I saw with regards the kids and their supposed protective gears).

My point Is this, for some reason, the last wave of this virus was not so deadly as we originally feared, but this time around with the virus mutating and becoming more resistant, it looks like we are dealing with something far deadlier. Yes I've heard many say people are going to the markets, churches, mosques and all. But the school environment is a different one. Those who have refused to go to the churches and mosques, who wear their face masks and exercise maximum caution whenever they have to visit the markets(and ofcourse there are many such people), will unfortunately be very vulnerable with thier kids forced to return back to school irrespective of whatever measures the school say they are putting in place. Children will always be children; no one can reallly prevent them from doing what they do when they come together. As far as I know, face Shield is no barrier to an airborne virus, it can only prevent saliva from reaching the eyes not a floating virus and they cannot were face masks for the length of time they're expected to be in class.

I however think those in tertiary education can go back to school especially those who live in campus. For those who go from home, given that most of them are young adults who understand what protecting oneself is all about, they'll do better at managing the spread of the virus, better still they can go virtual as is been done in other parts of the world now. Most tertiary students will need very little if any help from parent in taking thier studies online.

It seems to me that the directive to resume school on the 18th is the government caving in to pressure from the public, and that is understandable, but given what we've seen with this virus in the last 2 months, I'm afraid we might be playing with fire by letting the kids come together from monday next week. I hope I'm wrong though, but surely, the fastest way to spread this virus and any airborne disease is through basic schools.

For those who may want to attack me, please note that I'm not ignorant of the challenges that many of you particularly parents are having to deal with with the children at home. And for the teachers and those in school employment, I understand how continuing school closure will affect your means of livelihood. The fact is, either way, it's a tragic situation and I wish everyone the very best while we hope the virus abates again like it did last year until the vaccine begins to arrive.

Good luck everyone.[/quote][s][/s]

You are bereft of thinking and very stupid sir
Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by MalaikaEH(f): 6:04pm On Jan 15, 2021
The dangerous effects of any kind of lockdown in Nigeria is far higher than the risk of contracting COVID19. OP, you Just mentioned lockdown in England without mentioning how much their government pays each citizen to keep them locked down. Have you ever thought about how your childrent's teachers managed to survive the last lockdown?
Infact, the moderators should delete this post and ban the OP the way Facebook delete Trump's own.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by Petyr1: 6:21pm On Jan 15, 2021
BENARI:
While I am totally against another full lockdown, I am equally against the reopening of not all schools, but nursery, primary, and secondary schools. Reason being that this schools bring pupils in very close contact with one another daily; forget all the Face Shield and Hand Washing protocols. In the last term, my kids wore thier face Shields daily, carried their hand sanitizers in thier school bags daily, and the school provided humidifiers, hand sanitizers, and hand washing points in the school, but they didn't prevent the kids from catching cold repeatedly as is always the case whenever school is in session. I even suspect without hard proof though, that one of my kids could have contracted the virus, because on the particular day he was mildly ill and was not in school, I called in to the school, and the class teacher confirmed to me that about 4 other pupils besides mine where also not in school because of illness on a class oc 13 pupils. Funny enough my wife and I had very similar symptoms within a space of 48hours, but thankfully we got better without taking any drugs. We decided to at least for a time allow our body fight it rather than taking any drugs that could weaken the immune system.

Good luck everyone.
everything you wrote there is trash and meaningless. If you want to protect your kids, don't let them go to school and leave other kids out of your miseries. Must other children stay at home because you are protecting your kid? Do you even know flights are coming from UK? And UK is on lockdown because of second wave? You don't talk about blocking those flights but about school
Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by NewDelhi(m): 7:49pm On Jan 15, 2021
@ BENARI, if you're scared of the virus, you can withdraw your kids and keep them at home till the virus is eradicated or a cure is found okay? It's not rocket science.
Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by airex(m): 10:13pm On Jan 15, 2021
Fulcrum15:

You are a stupid fellow.
Your parents must be regretting by now. I repeat. God punish you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by airex(m): 10:15pm On Jan 15, 2021
shitshappen:

For saying him mind and making sense?
He made no single sense. Don't join a cursed fellow to be unfortunate. This is 2021

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Covid 19: Reopening Schools Is Playing With Fire by BENARI: 10:42pm On Jan 15, 2021
NewDelhi:
@ BENARI, if you're scared of the virus, you can withdraw your kids and keep them at home till the virus is eradicated or a cure is found okay? It's not rocket science.

Your advice is well noted. I wish you health and peace.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

SOME Harsh Truth You Probably Don’t Want To Hear But Must Hear / Laspotech Mpce Cut Off Mark For 2009/2010 / Is Yabatech Now A University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.