Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,809 members, 7,851,715 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 06:15 AM

Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel (2118 Views)

My Toyota Camry 97 Pencil Is Drinking Too Much Fuel, I Need Help / What Car Is The Most Popular For Women In Nigeria? / The 2017 Mazda Vision Car Is The Most Beautiful Sedan You've Ever Seen (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by Saao(m): 9:21am On Jan 15, 2021
Hello guru in the house
Please I need ur help. Bought Hyundai Santafe 2008 recently, bought fuel of 11,000 on Tuesday and bought 3000 yesterday but today the fuel all gone although I did alot of movement within Lagos. But my concern is the level of fuel I spent within the short time, what can I do to minimize it?

Thank you for your contribution
Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by ArcFresky(m): 9:34am On Jan 15, 2021
grin grin grin grin grin
Drinking?
Your car must be a drunkard.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by ArcFresky(m): 9:40am On Jan 15, 2021
1. Accelerating too quickly only to break suddenly increases fuel use.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by Saao(m): 9:50am On Jan 15, 2021
ArcFresky:
grin grin grin grin grin
Drinking?
I tell you lol
Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by Saao(m): 9:52am On Jan 15, 2021
ArcFresky:

1. Accelerating too quickly only to break suddenly increases fuel use.

then I think I'm guilty of it but total of 14k fuel less than one week isn't too much?
Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by aieromon(m): 9:53am On Jan 15, 2021
Saao:
then I think I'm guilty of it but total of 14k fuel less than one week isn't too much?

Depends

Remember it is a 6 cylinder engine

Were you stuck in traffic for most of the time?

Was the Car AC running?

Is your Check Engine light on?

Run a scan
Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by Saao(m): 10:42am On Jan 15, 2021
aieromon:

Depends

Remember it is a 6 cylinder engine

Were you stuck in traffic for most of the time?

Was the Car AC running?

Is your Check Engine light on?

Run a scan
AC was running although. The check engine was on, what's the meaning of that?
Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by ikdaddy01(m): 11:09am On Jan 15, 2021
Saao:
He said go and run a scan. Scan will give a code of a fault. It's a starting point.

1 Like

Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:26am On Jan 15, 2021
First thing to do is to calculate how much fuel you bought, and distance covered. Then factor in traffic and the rest. I get anywhere from 6 mpg to 18 mpg with a huge V8, there are plenty factors.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by SpaceAngel: 3:04pm On Jan 15, 2021
14k fuel in four days for an SUV in Lagos traffic may not be too much, though I don't understand what you mean by you did a lot of movement.

What distance did you cover and what was the traffic condition.?
Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by naijadrivablog: 3:32pm On Jan 15, 2021
When keke driver buy V6, na the shock him go get be this?

That said, what is the distance you covered, your driving habit?

Finally, change plugs, service nozzles, and if possible, scan the 2.7LV6.
Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:06am On Jan 16, 2021
naijadrivablog:
When keke driver buy V6, na the shock him go get be this?

That said, what is the distance you covered, your driving habit?

Finally, change plugs, service nozzles, and if possible, scan the 2.7LV6.

This is 2021, you should not always comment.

11 Likes

Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by diportivo: 7:41am On Jan 16, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

its the one that will swallow it hook line and sinker i pity undecided

2 Likes

Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by weyreypey: 7:58am On Jan 16, 2021
diportivo:

its the one that will swallow it hook line and sinker i pity undecided
Like you converted your injections system to a carburettor on the Nissan Xterra that year
Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by homeboy205: 9:55am On Jan 16, 2021
Saao:
Hello guru in the house
Please I need ur help. Bought Hyundai Santafe 2008 recently, bought fuel of 11,000 on Tuesday and bought 3000 yesterday but today the fuel all gone although I did alot of movement within Lagos. But my concern is the level of fuel I spent within the short time, what can I do to minimize it?

You Lagos people spend half of your life time and in traffic. That will tell on your fuel. Anyway scan

1 Like

Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by Grupo(m): 10:55am On Jan 16, 2021
"Did a lot of driving around" is not measure of distance.

This is what you should do.

Check your cars odometer and the current milage.

Then buy buy some fuel.

Drive until you exhaust the fuel. Then check your odometer again to calculate the total miles covered with the fuel you bought.

This will give people a better clue as to whether your car is truly drinking fuel or not.
Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by naijadrivablog: 11:04am On Jan 16, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

OK, Oga Bad Mouth tongue Anugom
Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by naijadrivablog: 11:05am On Jan 16, 2021
weyreypey:

Like you converted your injections system to a carburettor on the Nissan Xterra that year

tongue
Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by drmuchin: 7:29pm On Jan 16, 2021
@gazzuzz nurey 200 miles with 48litres fuel is it OK for a VW golf 4 2.0L 4 cylinder
Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by weyreypey: 5:37am On Jan 17, 2021
drmuchin:
@gazzu.zz nur.ey
200 miles with 48litres fuel is it OK for a VW golf 4 2.0L 4 cylinder
City or highway driving?
Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by drmuchin: 6:00am On Jan 17, 2021
weyreypey:
City or highway driving?
80% highway with AC on.
The other time I clocked approx 38miles on 12.25 litres city driving
Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by weyreypey: 6:49am On Jan 17, 2021
drmuchin:
@gazz..uzz nure..y
200 miles with 48litres fuel is it OK for a VW golf 4 2.0L 4 cylinder

Disaster. Your car is using 15L/100km instead of 8.8L/100km for automatic transmission or 6.2L/100km for the manual transmission. Wehdone.
Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by drmuchin: 11:50am On Jan 17, 2021
weyreypey:

Disaster. Your car is using 15L/100km instead of 8.8L/100km for automatic transmission or 6.2L/100km for the manual transmission. Wehdone.

bros how can I rectify this?
Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by timenamoney: 1:15pm On Jan 21, 2021
ArcFresky:
grin grin grin grin grin
Drinking?
grin grin grin
Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by timenamoney: 1:17pm On Jan 21, 2021
Saao:
I mean your car has malaria
Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by timenamoney: 1:36pm On Jan 21, 2021
drmuchin:

bros how can I rectify this?
to start with , do u use engine temostate or fan running continually ?
Do u use recommended engine oil and plug ?
Do you use recommended tire pressure?
What's your driving habit?
Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by timenamoney: 1:46pm On Jan 21, 2021
Saao:
Hello guru in the house

how much miles did u cover and litres totally? Scan the car and report back
Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by drmuchin: 3:18pm On Jan 21, 2021
timenamoney:
to start with , do u use engine temostate or fan running continually ?
Do u use recommended engine oil and plug ?
Do you use recommended tire pressure?
What's your driving habit?

Fans are connected directly
I use synthetic 5w30
Tire pressure is adequate
Driving habit:gentle acceleration, minimal braking
Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by timenamoney: 2:17am On Jan 22, 2021
drmuchin:

Fans are connected directly
I use synthetic 5w30
Tire pressure is adequate
Driving habit:gentle acceleration, minimal braking
u did not mention the temostate question ,

a car despite the climate should use a themostate , it helps the engine reach it operating temperature , before the engine reach it operating temperature 100degre ( the middle line in the temperature gauge at the dashboard , but some mistake it as overheating grin ) , the ECU (car computer or brainbox ) run the injectors in open loops fuel operation (more fuel ), when the ECU get signal from coolant temperature sensor that the engine have reached it optimal operating temperature 100degre (the fan blow to cool down things) , then will the o2 sensor in exust pip ( like a plug with wires ) before the carterlyst , helps to calculate already burnt air and fuel ratio in exust , to minimize fuel if much or minimize air if much , the injectors then switch to close loop fuel operation (less fuel) for better fuel economy

when you don't use a themostate and run your fan continually ( it affects fan and battery lifetime , may not last up to 5year grin ) , your car may not reach it recommended operating temperature 100 degree , and will run in open loops all the time , which effect fuel economy , will flood your celinders during combustion , affects your carterlyst converter , and contaminate engine oil badly and engine oil will not reach it operating temperature to evaporate moisture (water , celinders blow-by fuel contents e.t.c which lead to engine damage sooner grin

you may wish not to use a themostate but never bycort the fan to run continually , it should blow at 100degree , so that the car can reach it's optimal operating temperature on the long run , that how a car is produce to operate

Run car obd scan and report back

Check your miles per gallon ( MPG=4litre ) , when the low fuel light comes on, park while having 4litre already in trunk ,put fuel in tank reset trip a or b in odometer run till till low fuel come on again , to know your MPG , in multiple run rounds to get a proper result to compare when you put back temostate and set fans to factory settings

Cheers
Timenamoney the automobileboss

2 Likes

Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by drmuchin: 12:46pm On Jan 22, 2021
timenamoney:
u did not mention the temostate question ,

a car despite the climate should use a themostate , it helps the engine reach it operating temperature , before the engine reach it operating temperature 100degre ( the middle line in the temperature gauge at the dashboard , but some mistake it as overheating grin ) , the ECU (car computer or brainbox ) run the injectors in open loops fuel operation (more fuel ), when the ECU get signal from coolant temperature sensor that the engine have reached it optimal operating temperature 100degre (the fan blow to cool down things) , then will the o2 sensor in exust pip ( like a plug with wires ) before the carterlyst , helps to calculate already burnt air and fuel ratio in exust , to minimize fuel if much or minimize air if much , the injectors then switch to close loop fuel operation (less fuel) for better fuel economy

when you don't use a themostate and run your fan continually ( it affects fan and battery lifetime , may not last up to 5year grin ) , your car may not reach it recommended operating temperature 100 degree , and will run in open loops all the time , which effect fuel economy , will flood your celinders during combustion , affects your carterlyst converter , and contaminate engine oil badly and engine oil will not reach it operating temperature to evaporate moisture (water , celinders blow-by fuel contents e.t.c which lead to engine damage sooner grin

you may wish not to use a themostate but never bycort the fan to run continually , it should blow at 100degree , so that the car can reach it's optimal operating temperature on the long run , that how a car is produce to operate

Run car obd scan and report back

Check your miles per gallon ( MPG=4litre ) , when the low fuel light comes on, park while having 4litre already in trunk ,put fuel in tank reset trip a or b in odometer run till till low fuel come on again , to know your MPG , in multiple run rounds to get a proper result to compare when you put back temostate and set fans to factory settings

Cheers
Timenamoney the automobileboss

I appreciate u Chief so enlightening
can we connect on whatsapp
Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by drmuchin: 2:53pm On Jan 22, 2021
timenamoney:
u

engine was bought direct Belgium very neat
I believe the thermostat should be intact, any I suspect oxygen sensor wire was cut because we did a conversion from VW Jetta 2.8L EFI VR6 2002 model to VW Golf 4 2.0L i4
Re: Please Help, My Car Is Drinking Fuel by timenamoney: 8:00pm On Jan 22, 2021
drmuchin:

engine was bought direct Belgium very neat
I believe the thermostat should be intact, any I suspect oxygen sensor wire was cut because we did a conversion from VW Jetta 2.8L EFI VR6 2002 model to VW Golf 4 2.0L i4
figure out o2 sensor work out , check themostate if installed , set fan to factory settings , use 50 / 50 % coolant and distilled or condensed water , buy Bluetooth obd scanner from jumia store and connect with your Android via app , for better diagnosis

Timenamoney

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need Help RX300 LEXUS / 15kva Soundproof Diesel Generator For Sale (last Price N650,000) / Suicide & Car Keys.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.