Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,810,007 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:39 PM

Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! (5180 Views)

This Is Why BIGGER Is Always BETTER / Let's Show Off Phones Home Screens / TECNO Camon X Pro Camera Vs Phantom 8 Camera - Are More Megapixel Always Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by atheistandproud(m): 4:17pm On Jan 15, 2021
Phone screens are growing taller yearly with manufacturers offering more and more screen real estate to the customers. As a customer, it is important that you learn the relationship between screen resolution and screen size.

Resolution generally refers to the amount of pixels that a display contains. More pixels (higher resolution) equals a better image and video quality, vibrant colours, sharp details etc. Lesser pixels (lower resolution) means poorer image and video quality, less vibrant colours, poor details etc.

The size of a screen is the size of its viewing area. It is measured diagonally across its surface from one edge to the opposite edge. The unit of measurement is in inches.

These days, smartphone screens are becoming bigger as the users are clamouring for more and more space. Although it should be noted that, there are a few persons who are calling for a return to small compact phones that fit in the size of your palm. That ship has long sailed. Taller phones are the future.

In this light, a lot of uninformed customers tend to celebrate bigger screens as a sign of quality. I have come across a few reviews and comparisons where the reviewer tells the audience that the phone with the bigger screen is better. This is very incorrect and misleading. Bigger screens are not always better. In fact, a bigger screen could ruin your smartphone experience.

How?

I am sure a few persons must have asked themselves the above question. The answer is very simple. Have you ever tried to zoom in or stretch a picture over a larger area of your surface? If yes, you must have noticed that the more you zoom in or stretch the photo, the more the resolution suffers. The more you spread pixels across a screen, the more the resolution suffers.

The relationship between screen resolution and screen size is called Pixel Density and it is measured in Pixels Per Inch (ppi).

Read: What is Pixel Density?
https://www.nairaland.com/6356979/what-pixel-density-ppi-what

Let’s take 720p as an example. At 4 inches, you would get an impressive 429ppi. If the screen size is increased to 5 inches, the pixel density falls to 343ppi which is decent. Should the screen be further increased to 6 inches, the pixel density depreciates further to 286ppi.

Finally if the manufacturer throws the book out and goes with a 7 inch screen, what we would get is a meagre 245ppi. As the pixel density (ppi) falls, the viewing quality falls with it as well. Increasing the screen size stretches the pixels on the display and reduces resolution. This is why a 720p tablet would have a poorer display resolution when put side by side with a 720p Smartphone.

As consumer looking to buy two phones with 720p and one is bigger than the other, note that the larger display would give you a slightly poorer image quality when viewing them side by side. If a display’s resolution is capped at 720p, then a display above 6” may not be the best for it as the image quality will suffer.

So, if the display quality of a phone is one of the more important specs for you as a buyer, always be vigilant enough to check the resolution, size and pixel density. Bigger screens aren’t always better.

https://inquisitiveuniverse.com/2021/01/13/screen-size-vs-screen-resolution/

You can find me on Facebook, Instagram and Telegram (I'm more active here). Simply search for Inquisitiveuniverse.

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by Ottyn01(m): 4:20pm On Jan 15, 2021
You are right 100%
Quality over quantity

Very insightful thread, this need to enter front-page smiley

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by atheistandproud(m): 4:25pm On Jan 15, 2021
Ottyn01:
You are right

Thank you.

One so called youtuber did a smartphone comparison here recently and told the audience that 6.95" 720p screen was better than a 6.53" 1080p+ display.

It was mind boggling. And the fans of the phone with the bigger display were celebrating.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by aaiyesikhe: 4:29pm On Jan 15, 2021
Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by dadarasak(m): 4:37pm On Jan 15, 2021
You're right. In fact, I'm tired of my 6" sef, wanna go back to 5 or 5.5. I'll consider Sony or uk used iPhone.

2 Likes

Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by Drizzy5001(m): 4:48pm On Jan 15, 2021
I prefer phones with smaller screen, like That of iphone 6s, that can easily fit inside one's pocket, unlike the current phones wey dem dey produce now.

7 Likes

Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by Akanimoh113(m): 4:57pm On Jan 15, 2021
atheistandproud:
Phone screens are growing taller yearly with manufacturers offering more and more screen real estate to the customers. As a customer, it is important that you learn the relationship between screen resolution and screen size.

Resolution generally refers to the amount of pixels that a display contains. More pixels (higher resolution) equals a better image and video quality, vibrant colours, sharp details etc. Lesser pixels (lower resolution) means poorer image and video quality, less vibrant colours, poor details etc.

The size of a screen is the size of its viewing area. It is measured diagonally across its surface from one edge to the opposite edge. The unit of measurement is in inches.

These days, smartphone screens are becoming bigger as the users are clamouring for more and more space. Although it should be noted that, there are a few persons who are calling for a return to small compact phones that fit in the size of your palm. That ship has long sailed. Taller phones are the future.

In this light, a lot of uninformed customers tend to celebrate bigger screens as a sign of quality. I have come across a few reviews and comparisons where the reviewer tells the audience that the phone with the bigger screen is better. This is very incorrect and misleading. Bigger screens are not always better. In fact, a bigger screen could ruin your smartphone experience.

How?

I am sure a few persons must have asked themselves the above question. The answer is very simple. Have you ever tried to zoom in or stretch a picture over a larger area of your surface? If yes, you must have noticed that the more you zoom in or stretch the photo, the more the resolution suffers. The more you spread pixels across a screen, the more the resolution suffers.

The relationship between screen resolution and screen size is called Pixel Density and it is measured in Pixels Per Inch (ppi).

Let’s take 720p as an example. At 4 inches, you would get an impressive 429ppi. If the screen size is increased to 5 inches, the pixel density falls to 343ppi which is decent. Should the screen be further increased to 6 inches, the pixel density depreciates further to 286ppi.

Finally if the manufacturer throws the book out and goes with a 7 inch screen, what we would get is a meagre 245ppi. As the pixel density (ppi) falls, the viewing quality falls with it as well. Increasing the screen size stretches the pixels on the display and reduces resolution. This is why a 720p tablet would have a poorer display resolution when put side by side with a 720p Smartphone.

As consumer looking to buy two phones with 720p and one is bigger than the other, note that the larger display would give you a slightly poorer image quality when viewing them side by side. If a display’s resolution is capped at 720p, then a display above 6” may not be the best for it as the image quality will suffer.

So, if the display quality of a phone is one of the more important specs for you as a buyer, always be vigilant enough to check the resolution, size and pixel density. Bigger screens aren’t always better.

You can find me on Facebook, Instagram and Telegram (I'm more active here). Simply search for Inquisitiveuniverse.

Your Right
That's why I forever love Samsung Galaxy
They've Got a Vibrant Display and Video Quality

6 Likes

Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by doggedfighter(f): 5:02pm On Jan 15, 2021
atheistandproud:

Thank you.

One so called youtuber did a smartphone comparison here recently and told the audience that 6.95" 720p screen was better than a 6.53" 1080p+ display.

It was mind boggling. And the fans of the phone with the bigger display were celebrating.

Quite insightful
Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by atheistandproud(m): 5:29pm On Jan 15, 2021
Drizzy5001:
I prefer phones with smaller phones, like Tha of iphone 6s, that an easily fit inside one's pocket, unlike the current phones wey dem dey produce now.

You may need clothes with bigger pockets tho.

1 Like

Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by MJBOLT: 5:46pm On Jan 15, 2021
who small screen help,Imagine playing games or watching movies on a small screen device undecided lipsrsealed

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by Rareoil(m): 6:03pm On Jan 15, 2021
Infinix not 8 is a 6.95 inch smartphone with 720p display, therefore it's ppi is 258!

Imagine stretching 720p along 6.95 inches. grin grin

10 Likes

Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by Rareoil(m): 6:06pm On Jan 15, 2021
Xiaomi redmi note 8 is a 6.3 inch phone with 1080p display, it's ppi is 409!!!

1 Like

Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by Ekemeze: 6:34pm On Jan 15, 2021

1 Like

Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by InventTech: 7:10pm On Jan 15, 2021
Glad to have someone writing about the 'big screen' menace.
Just check out a Nokia 7.1 stats with just 5.8' screen.

Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by theMagnet: 7:21pm On Jan 15, 2021
atheistandproud:

How?

Everybody knows this in this phone section
Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by Zimri(m): 7:29pm On Jan 15, 2021
Most itel and Tecno phones are culprits. No bash intended.

Generic devices are worse. Display be looking like a pencil work

11 Likes

Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by theMagnet: 7:30pm On Jan 15, 2021
Rareoil:
Infinix not 8 is a 6.95 inch smartphone with 720p display, therefore it's ppi is 258!

Imagine stretching 720p along 6.95 inches. grin grin
Yen yen yen
But do you know that your so much loved samsung made a phone with 264 ppi
No?
Well the phone is the Samsung Galaxy A12

2 Likes

Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by theMagnet: 7:30pm On Jan 15, 2021
Akanimoh113:

Your Right
That's why I forever love Samsung Galaxy
They've Got a Vibrant Display and Video Quality
No?
Well the phone is the Samsung Galaxy A12 and it costs 77000 for the 3/32

3 Likes

Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by Akanimoh113(m): 7:45pm On Jan 15, 2021
theMagnet:

No?

Actually I Love The S series not the A series
Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by theMagnet: 7:48pm On Jan 15, 2021
Akanimoh113:

Actually I Love The S series not the A series
This is theFilmtric I was banned
All na Samsung
The S series are damn too expensive
Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by Diffpussies(m): 8:02pm On Jan 15, 2021
Dats y I dey use Nokia torch but u pipu won't understand , una dey call me " Brokelyn" ....

Thanks Op jare undecided
Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by ezeudo97817: 8:04pm On Jan 15, 2021
Finally, you've a blog. good one, your blog is clean and neat.
insightful article.

1 Like

Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by lagusboyyy(m): 8:19pm On Jan 15, 2021
For me personally, any screen size above 5.5",i don't fancy it.

My first smartphone was 4.8",and i love the compact feel, my current phone is 5.0",i also love it.

Phone manufacturers should please consider buyers that love compact devices, because its like 6.0" will soon be the normal compact size.
Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by atheistandproud(m): 8:24pm On Jan 15, 2021
Rareoil:
Xiaomi redmi note 8 is a 6.3 inch phone with 1080p display, it's ppi is 409!!!

I no mention name oh

2 Likes

Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by atheistandproud(m): 8:24pm On Jan 15, 2021
Ekemeze:
Finally, you've a blog. good one, your blog is clean and neat.

insightful article.

Thanks boss
Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by atheistandproud(m): 8:25pm On Jan 15, 2021
Zimri:
Most itel and Tecno phones are culprits. No bash intended.

Generic devices are worse. Display be looking like a pencil work

No bash intended jare.

720p on 6.95"

That's atrocious.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by atheistandproud(m): 8:26pm On Jan 15, 2021
lagusboyyy:
For me personally, any screen size above 5.5",i don't fancy it.

My first smartphone was 4.8",and i love the compact feel, me current phone is 5.0",i also love it.

Phone manufacturers should please consider buyers that love compact devices, because its like 6.0" will soon be the normal compact size.
I'm sure you'll love the iPhone SE series.
Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by lagusboyyy(m): 8:28pm On Jan 15, 2021
atheistandproud:
I'm sure you'll love the iPhone SE series.
Sure!

I love the compact feel, but i don't really fancy iPhones.
Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by atheistandproud(m): 8:35pm On Jan 15, 2021
lagusboyyy:
Sure!

I love the compact feel, but i don't really fancy iPhones.

So far they're the only ones still catering to people who love small phones.

Personally I like big screens but 720p on a mid-ranger costing over 80k is a no no.

1080p at the very least should suffice.

1 Like

Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by Rareoil(m): 8:43pm On Jan 15, 2021
theMagnet:

Yen yen yen
No?

LOL Samsung galaxy a12 is a low end device, Infinix hot 8 isn't. I use Infinix actually,so I'm allowed to drag them.

2 Likes

Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by emilfischer(m): 9:01pm On Jan 15, 2021
Their screens can break easily.
In need of a laptop?
Check my signature.
Re: Bigger Screens Are Not Always Better. In Fact They Can Be Terrible! by allandutch: 9:09pm On Jan 15, 2021
The most annoying aspect Redmi note 9 pro is it's screen size. It's just too big. But at least it's 1080P and it's a "note" series.

For me, Right now, Galaxy S10e with just 5.8" is the ideal smartphone, the only downside is the battery. Either that or LG's G8x with 6.4" and a bigger battery.

To that guy talking about watching a movie or Gaming on a small screen. Trying doing both on galaxy S10e. You'll be amazed.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Share On Transfer Mb On Airtel Network / This Android Game Will Blow Your Mind / Can Your Bank Send A Text To All Your Contacts?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.