Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,187 members, 7,818,603 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:38 PM

Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares - Politics (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares (24178 Views)

Man Who Started Lagos Belongs To Igbos Has Been Exposed As Tinubu Supporter(Pix) / Now That Yorubas Claim Lagos Belongs To Yorubas, The FG Should Do The Following / "Hope Obi supporters Believe Now That Lagos Belongs To The Yorubas" - MC Oluomo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Christistruth00: 10:02pm On Jan 17, 2021
Etinosa1234:

Lagos paid until the dethronement of Oba kosoko

Are you talking about Metropolitan Lagos which belonged to Ijebuland
or Egbaland which was all the territory from Abeokuta to the Lagos Sea Coast

Or are you talking about the one Benins called Korame which is the Isale Eko Slave Markets Quarters of Lagos Island that belonged to the Awori Yoruba Aromire familybbut had Markets that were Governed by the Oba of Lagos?

Because the Ijebu and Egba were in full Military and Political control of Mainland Lagos when the British Landed in 1851.

In fact it was Bishop Ajayi Crowther who lived in Abeokuta that had gone to Bukingham Palace to request Queen Victoria to take over Lagos Island in Order to end the Slave trade of Oba Kosoko
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by gregyboy(m): 10:06pm On Jan 17, 2021
TAO11:
I noticed you just deactivated this account too because the going got rough for you. cheesy I expected that though. cheesy

However, hold this in the meantime while I make time to get back to your criminal brother, Etinosa aka ayoola27.

You’ve just proven yourself again to be nothing but a bald-headed, janus-faced, fatuous liar!

No where does the above 1948 video documentary say that the Ooni of Ife is not a king but a priest. Neither was he introduced as priest.

Rather, the video states at timestamp 0:14 and I quote here below:

The Ooni of Ife, spiritual leader of over three million Nigerian tribesmen, was one of the important arrivals”.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=989866004541431

And that is accurate because all Yoruba kings (that is, including the Benin monarch) are considered in, Yoruba religious belief, to be demi-deities — ikeji-õṣà.

Since the Ooni of Ife is the leader of all the monarchs of Yorubaland, this fact thus rightfully makes him the spiritual leader of all Yorubas (and Binis).

Notice that this 1948 meeting which held in Lancaster house and entitled “The African Conference in London” had the Ooni of Ife representing Nigeria in his capacity as leader of the south-west ‘tribes’ — which included the Binis among others.

This leader of the then south-west ‘tribes’ was not deemed to be the Alaafin Oyo, nor was it deemed to be the Omonoba n’Edo, but rather the Ooni Ife.

Note that he wasn’t yet honored as a British knight at the time. Neither was he yet a Governor at the time. He simply represented Nigeria in his capacity as a tribe leader — a tribe which included the Binis.

In addition to the above 1948 documentary, the attached pages below are from a 1903 publication entitled “Native Crowns”.

These attached pages from the paper shows the published summary of a proceeding in which the Ooni of Ife was clearly and rightfully identified as the leading monarch for all of Yorubaland.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12915204_3bb91d9be2ea45c5afd3f41e88728f3e_jpeg_jpeg645a15f18177fc5fe10c58c7cc98cb9c
www.nairaland.com/attachments/12915205_d21b9942ec6b49db8268dddb52125c5d_jpeg_jpeg5b7a9464bca8be76b7a6cbdd30d76898
www.nairaland.com/attachments/12915206_ea1bb7bbeb514c029bf799998b655ca3_jpeg_jpeg94b9f98f3c978fcbb8823afc65a47cbc

~ The Editor, “Native Crowns,” Journal of the Royal African Society, April 1903, Vol. 2, No. 7, Oxford University Press.

I am pleased to always rubbish you all over Nairaland.

Cheers!

I love bursting bubbles

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by gregyboy(m): 10:10pm On Jan 17, 2021
Ofemannnu:

You defend and attack like a real Yoruba warrior and Yorubas have a lot of warriors I must say.
One of them was Ogedengbe that the Oba of Benin always trembled when he heard his footsteps... he always appeased Ogedengbe with different gifts.

Lol, present articles from these various areas Ogendegbe attacked in edo state attesting to the attacks by Ogendegbe

All i see is a forged history

Imagine you begging a warrior from attacking your people and he peacefully agreed and left

This is a myth from hell taken too far

Etinosa1234, Areafada2, tao11 Balogunodua, ideodoctor samuk, Valirex

Make una come see something,, the yorubas have all gone mad with their myth again,

1 Like

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Christistruth00: 10:16pm On Jan 17, 2021
grin
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Etinosa1234: 10:17pm On Jan 17, 2021
Christistruth00:

Are you talking about Metropolitan Lagos which belonged to Ijebuland
or Egbaland which was all the territory from Abeokuta to the Lagos Sea Coast

Or are you talking about the one Benins called Korame which is the Isale Eko Quarters of Lagos Island that belonged to the Awori Yoruba Aromire familybut had Markets that were Governed by the Oba of Lagos?

Because the Ijebu and Egba were in full Military and Political control of Mainland Lagos when the British Landed in 1851.

In fact it was Bishop Ajayi Crowther who lived in Abeokuta that had gone to Bukingham Palace to request Queen Victoria to take over Lagos Island in Order to end the Slave trade of Oba Kosoko

In fact prior to the British arrival only the island was called Lagos so mainland u are talking abt is not Lagos
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Tobrasky: 10:19pm On Jan 17, 2021
So Ogedengbe made military incursions; albeit successful ones into the great Benin empire and even forced the Oba to nearly abscond his throne? Hmmmm so no be today Yoruba start to dey colonize Bini people? though I doubt the story though.
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jan 17, 2021
In exile in Calabar.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Tobrasky: 10:22pm On Jan 17, 2021
Mrbillionaire:
Oba of Benin in exile in Calabar.

The guy man run comot for palace.
Imagine, so much for having an empire... but didn't Yorubas surrender to the British without resistance? well apart from the Ijebu people...
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Christistruth00: 10:23pm On Jan 17, 2021
Etinosa1234:

In fact prior to the British arrival only the island was called Lagos so mainland u are talking abt is not Lagos

This morning you guys said that all Metropolitan Lagos which belonged to the Egbas and Ijebu Politically and Militarily was paying tribute to the Oba of Benin .

What did you say Agege and Isheri that were Egba Territories meant in Edo again?

Some of your lies

Etinosa1234:

Nope ... It says that the Ijebu took over a narrow piece of land ... not the metropolis

gregyboy:

All lands in lagos was controlled by benins as stated by the dutch man,

Benin cultural nfluence was little in some aress but her political influence covered every part
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jan 17, 2021
Tobrasky:
So Ogedengbe made military incursions; albeit successful ones into the great Benin empire and even forced the Oba to nearly abscond his throne? Hmmmm so no be today Yoruba start to dey colonize Bini people? though I doubt the story though.

This one no be 500AD story o. The real picture of Ogrdengbe dey o; no be drawing.
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Tobrasky: 10:26pm On Jan 17, 2021
Mrbillionaire:

This one no be 500AD story o. The real picture of Ogrdengbe dey o; no be drawing.
I be Igbo boy but I sabi Ogedengbe history wella, dude was a fu*king bad-ass during the Kiriji war, I even remember watching a movie about him when I was little... the man really kicked arse.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jan 17, 2021
Tobrasky:

Imagine, so much for having an empire... but didn't Yorubas surrender to the British without resistance? well apart from the Ijebu people...

Yoruba did not even fight the British; Na Benin wan form super warriors and their revered Oba was disgraced out of palace.
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Balogunodua(m): 10:28pm On Jan 17, 2021
gregyboy:

Lol, present articles from these various Ogendegbe attacked in Benin attesting to the attacks by Ogendegbe

Imagine you begging a warrior from attacking your people and he peacefully agreed and left

Make una come see something,, the yorubas have all gone mad with their myth again,

The myth that made your Oba pee in his pant Abi..... grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by AreaFada2: 10:29pm On Jan 17, 2021
gregyboy:

Lol, present articles from these various Ogendegbe attacked in Benin attesting to the attacks by Ogendegbe

grin cheesy
Ogedengbe spun a fantastical fib to cover his whipped ass when he returned to Yorubaland. grin

He probably delayed trudging back in defeat and maybe raided some poor villagers in Yorubaland, got a few belongings and touted as what he got from Benin. grin

No warrior with the wealth that beckoned on entering Benin would be bought off by a few pieces of stuff after coming such a long way as history twisters tout.
No comment1
Valirex
Etinosa1234
Gregyboy
Samuk
Bornrich
Etrusen

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jan 17, 2021
Tobrasky:

I be Igbo boy but I sabi Ogedengbe history wella, dude was a fu*king bad-ass during the Kiriji war, I even remember watching a movie about him when I was little... the man really kicked arse.

Ogedengbe the bad guy kicking asses everywhere. He was captured by Ibadan warriors sha and given a tribal marks to fight on their side.
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Tobrasky: 10:31pm On Jan 17, 2021
Mrbillionaire:

Ogedengbe the bad guy kicking asses everywhere. He was captured by Ibadan warriors share and given a tribal marks to fight on their side.
He was feared by the Ibadan warriors definitely, I used to memorize and recite his Oriki years back. He was definitely my favorite warrior in the Kiriji war. I also liked Kurunmi (not sure if I spelled his name right).

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Tobrasky: 10:33pm On Jan 17, 2021
Ibadan
Are Latosa
Osi, Ilori – son of Ogunmola and later Akintaro
Iyapo – son of Ibikunle
Balogun Ajayi Ogboriefon
Ali Laluwoye – Otun
Babalola son of Ajayi Ogboriefon

Ijesa
Ogedengbe
Ayomoro
Ogunmodede

Egba
Ogundipe
Ajagunjeun
Okenla

Ekiti
Fabunmi
Odeyale
Adeyala

Ilorin
Emir Alihu
Ajia
Karara – Balogun of Ilorin

Ife
Ayikiti – general

From that list alone, Ogedengbe surely stands out for me for many reasons..

1 Like

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jan 17, 2021
Tobrasky:

He was feared by the Ibadan warriors definitely, I used to memorize and recite his Oriki years back. He was definitely my favorite warrior in the Kiriji war. I also liked Kurunmi (not sure if I spelled his name right).

Omo you've learnt so much about about Yoruba wars I. Kudos!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Christistruth00: 10:39pm On Jan 17, 2021
Tobrasky:

Tobrasky , Ogedengbe and the Ekitiparapo Army almost finished Benin

It was Benins begging Brigade that saved Benin City from being taking over by Ogedengbe's Ekitiparapo Army.

Ogedengbe was being too nice
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Tobrasky: 10:40pm On Jan 17, 2021
Christistruth00:

Tobrasky , Ogedengbe and the Ekitiparapo Army almost finished Benin

It was Benins begging Brigade that saved Benin City from being taking over by Ogedengbe's Ekitiparapo Army.

Ogendegbe was being too nice
Chei grin,

1 Like

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Tyrant28: 10:45pm On Jan 17, 2021
Tobrasky so you sabi yoruba history like this, you go come dey shout afonja later abi
Tobrasky:
Ibadan
Are Latosa
Osi, Ilori – son of Ogunmola and later Akintaro
Iyapo – son of Ibikunle
Balogun Ajayi Ogboriefon
Ali Laluwoye – Otun
Babalola son of Ajayi Ogboriefon

Ijesa
Ogedengbe
Ayomoro
Ogunmodede

Egba
Ogundipe
Ajagunjeun
Okenla

Ekiti
Fabunmi
Odeyale
Adeyala

Ilorin
Emir Alihu
Ajia
Karara – Balogun of Ilorin

Ife
Ayikiti – general

From that list alone, Ogedengbe surely stands out for me for many reasons..
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Etinosa1234: 11:04pm On Jan 17, 2021
Tobrasky:

U think the Yoruba fought?

They had already devastated themselves during the ekiti parapo war that the arrival of the British was a saviour to all parties...... Even the Ijebu that fought was brutally devastated by the British Maxim guns

Tho Benin routed an entire brigade at gwato, its highly unlikely that Benin would have won the war given their disadvantage

There was no Empire in Africa able to stand against the Europeans...

Even Ethiopia fell

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by TAO11(f): 11:05pm On Jan 17, 2021
Etinosa1234:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/13005305_screenshot202006121125063_jpeg5937fe90595f621d156b50f834c93fc6

Lagos paid until the dethronement of Oba kosoko.

Payment of tributes results from any of the following:

(1) To acknowledge defeat by a powerful victor.

(2) To acknowledge patrilineal descent from the payee.

(3) To express gratitude for some magnificent support.

In your last mention, which I am already preparing a devastating reply to, you concluded erroneously that the presence of Bini armed men in one of the [fenced] settlements of Lagos island does imply that the Binis originally settled-in into the island by conquest, and that they then controlled every settlement on the island.

Although, your conclusion (or equivalence) here is in itself an obvious fallacy as I will also show in details in my forthcoming reply; the report of Ulsheimer says absolutely nothing beyond the fact that the Bini armed men were confined to only one of the settlements on the island — while other settlements exist there on the island alongside the Binis‘ settlement.

Nothing is said in Ulsheimer’s report about them being in control of all the other settlements on the island. Nothing is said about why they were armed.

There is an absolute silence (as far as your quotation of the report is concerned) as to whether they controlled beyond the four walls of their own settlement on that island.

In fact, the British colonial records of the late 1800s and the early 1900s came to be the first writings to cast light on why they bore arms while already living in one of the settlements on the island.

These colonial records state clearly that after they had settled-in into the island for some time, they came to be drawn into some conflict with some settlements located on the mainland.

The most that Ulsheimer reported is that the Binis were confined (as a military formation) to the four walls of their settlement — their settlement which is just one among all the settlements on the island.

Nothing is said in the report of Ulsheimer about them controlling any other settlement on the island apart from that one settlement which belonged to them.

Neither is anything said in the report of Ulsheimer about how they originally came to acquire that portion of the island that belonged to them.

Was it via a peaceful negotiation with the native land owners (the Aworis)? Or was it via a conquest from warfare? Nothing is said on this in Ulsheimer’s report.

Again, the first sources to cast light on how the Binis came to acquire their portion of the island are the British colonial records of the late 1800s and early 1900s.

These records consistently maintain that the Binis originally acquired their share of the island by a mutual peaceful negotiation with the native owners.

In the light of all these, it thus becomes clear that the idea that Lagos island paid those tributes as a way of acknowledging some defeat is in fact unsubstantiated.

Moreover, the same British colonial records (which are the earliest on the following subject) also states that the progenitor of the present Eleko dynasty of Lagos island — i.e. Mr Ashipa — is a Yoruba prince from Isheri [rather than a Bini].

In the light of this too, it becomes clear that the idea that Lagos paid those tributes as an acknowledgement of some patrilineal descent of the Lagos monarchy from Benin is also unfounded.

Finally, these same British colonial records (which are the earliest on the following subject) actually states the specific basis of the tributes paid to Benin as is seen in the attachment below from page 43 of Sir Alan Burns’ “History of Nigeria”, 1929.

Having said that, refer to the following comment which is a point-by-point refutation of the screenshot you attached.
———————

(1) Your attachment above shows three areas which you highlighted, as follows:

(A) The first highlight containing a statement along the lines that the Lagos dynasty came from an outside influence.

This statement from your 1975 attachment may actually be interpreted along two plausible lines:

(i) That Benin was simply instrumental in the founding of the Yoruba dynasty of Eko. [This interpretation would be in line with the extant Lagos account as published in the British colonial records].

(ii) Or that the first Eleko, Ashipa, is a Benin prince. [This interpretation would be in line with Egharevba’s later-day claims which he obviously didn’t gather from the earlier Lagos accounts].

Regardless of what is actually meant here, it must be borne in mind that the earliest source for the 2nd interpretation is the Benin Chief Egharevba in the 1950s.

In contrast, the earliest primary source for the 1st is the British colonial records of Lagos history collected and first published in the 1800s and then in the early 1900s.

(B) The second highlight showing statements along the following lines:

(i) A statement to the effect that the body of late Elekos used to be taken to Benin for burial after the head has been removed.

As noted in many of my replies to you as per this burial custom, the clause about the head clarifies the maternal connection of Mr. Ado (the son and immediate successor of Mr. Ashipa) to Benin.

The late Elekos’ bodies being taken to ‘the mother’s land’ (i.e. Benin), after their heads had been removed for ‘the father’s land’ (Lagos).

This custom at once resonates with a similar custom between Benin and IFE.

In this Ife-Benin custom, the body of late Benin kings is for ‘the mother’s land’ (i.e. Benin), while the head is for ‘the father’s land’ (i.e. IFE ).

This custom between Beni & Lagos as well as between Ife & Benin appears to corroborate the Yoruba saying that “Ori ade kii sun ita” — “The crowned head is not entombed abroad”.

This confirms again that as far as the Eleko dynasty is concerned, Lagos (for the head) is their father’s land through Mr. Ado’s father (Mr. Ashipa); while Benin (for the body) is their mother’s land through Mr. Ado’s mother (the Bini princess).

(ii) The other clarification-worthy statements under this second highlight is on tribute and official recognition.

This has been abundantly clarified in one of my replies to you elsewhere where I made it clear (and I quote here) that:

The Lagos account [which you have nothing earlier than and contrary to] notes that Mr. Ashipa (the progenitor of the dynasty) was bound to the Benin monarchy “by ties of gratitudegrin

In other words, consequent upon the success of backing Ashipa in asserting a monarchy (independent of the older Iddo island monarchy which used to control Lagos island too), the Benin government earned Ashipa‘s (and his successors’) unwavering loyalty.

Benin kings thus became the patron of the successive Elekos — earning remittances as well as the honor of officially recognizing successive Elekos.

(C) The third highlight showing a statement along the lines of a conquest of Lagos by Benin:

First of all, it must be made clear that the header of your attachment here is simply the title of the book (“The Lagos Consulate 1851 — 1861”). The book itself is a 1979 work.

The dates (1851 — 1861) here should therefore not be erroneously assumed to mean that we are looking at a document from 1851 — 1861. No. grin I suspect that this is your cunning intention here. cheesy

Secondly, the primary source which this statement (about conquest) goes to ... [is] not ... earlier than the later-day Benin claims of Chief Egharevba.

As I have demonstrated again and again, the earliest primary source which says a thing about how the Binis came to settle-in into Lagos states that:

They Binis settled-in into Lagos peacefully after their requested permission to land had been granted by the natives.

Cc: Ideadoctor, gomojam, id2019, djevino, 9jamustchange, BornRicch, Ddaji, J111333, excanny, Mysticwebb, Yebosola, Derrylatei, AustineJohn908, Cashsteady, owobokiri, forgiveness, bularaz, TimeManager, kilonshele101, 8BitGee, Daum, edo3, RuggedSniper, hicomm17, lionshare, ekesol, Demogorgon, Rumxy, Paganizonda, gwafaeziokwu, NGPatriot, macof, MelesZenawi, Christistruth00

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Etinosa1234: 11:09pm On Jan 17, 2021
Mrbillionaire:

Yoruba did not even fight the British; Na Benin wan form super warriors and their revered Oba was disgraced out of palace.

Lol... Isnt ijebu part of Yoruba again?

Besides the Benin were not the only tribe to fight the British for attempting to snatch their sovereignty

The Igbos, Hausa, Calabar, ijaw all fought against British

Its human nature to fight back when it seems that ur right are being tampered with...

The reason main Yoruba never fought was because of the devastation of the ekiti parapo war...

Do u think Ibadan that wanted to be a growing power in the West will willingly hand over sovereignty?
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Christistruth00: 11:17pm On Jan 17, 2021
Balogunodua:

The myth that made your Oba pee in his pant Abi..... grin

"It is just as I thought it would be.
The City of Benin whimpers like a child !"

(Gen Ogedengbe of the Ekitiparapo Army 1878)

http://ogedengbe.com/17503.html

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by thatigboman: 11:30pm On Jan 17, 2021
All of lots of nonsense. A royal octogenarian, means someone in his 80s spoke of a document, signed and agreed. That lagos is biniland and that lagos do called kings shouldnt wear crowns.
Case closed.
And so history spinners are here saying that lagos is from ife. When even the 1932 census showed that were much more igbos in lagos than yoruba immigrants.
And next, a man living in oshodi under bridge say lagos migrated from ife. How? White man has already established that lagos belings to the binis and that igbos came and developed it.
What then is the problem?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Christistruth00: 11:33pm On Jan 17, 2021
thatigboman:
All of lots of nonsense. A royal octogenarian, means someone in his 80s spoke of a document, signed and agreed. That lagos is biniland and that lagos do called kings shouldnt wear crowns.
Case closed.
And so history spinners are here saying that lagos is from ife. When even the 1932 census showed that were much more igbos in lagos than yoruba immigrants.
And next, a man living in oshodi under bridge say lagos migrated from ife. How? White man has already established that lagos belings to the binis and that igbos came and developed it.
What then is the problem?

Kindly show us that Census.
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by forgiveness: 11:45pm On Jan 17, 2021
Christistruth00:

http://ogedengbe.com/17503.html

Ogedengbe.com Ilesa / Ijesa Sate The Monarch The Warrior King Warrior Drummers Ogedengbe III Obanla's I,II,III,IV Ogedengbe(OGASE) Centenary Info

In the days of constant wars among the kingdoms of the Yoruba, a warrior hero called Ogedengbe lived in the city of Ilesha. Ogedengbe ruled firmly in Ilesha, and in other kingdoms he was feared and respected, for it was said that once he had undertaken war against an enemy he would not relent or turn back until his work was finished.

He attacked enemy cities and sacked them, taking gold and slaves as his prize. He pursued his enemies to the most distant places to cut them down. Wherever the fighting was most fierce, there Ogedengbe would be. His name was heard with attention in far-off villages, and, at the rumour that Ogedengbe was approaching, people went away into the bush with their cattle and hid themselves.

An illustration of General Ogedengbe on his white horse (www.ogedengbe.com)In other kingdoms people asked each other: "How can Ogedengbe be disposed of? He is like a plague of ants. He comes out of the bush to eat everything that lies in his path. If Ogedengbe were not loose in the land we could go on living, each man in his fields and each city in its place. But now every city is in danger". The city of Ibadan was then ruled by another warrior chief called Ogunmola. Ogunmola decided one time that he would attack Ilesha and destroy Ogedengbe. He assembled his army. He prepared for the expedition. And when everything was ready Ogunmola's forces set out. They reached the outskirts of Ilesha.

A great battle began. Ogedengbe warriors met the army from Ibadan in the fields. When night came they rested, but when the sun rose again the battle resumed. The two armies moved from one place to another. They drifted across the land. Other cities became involved. The war spread, leaving suffering and death in its wake. Finally Ogedengbe defeated Ogunmola, who returned with his shattered forces to Ibadan.

But Ogedengbe's anger was not yet stilled. It was said that the city of Benin had conspired with Ibadan in the attack against Ilesha. So Ogedengbe decided to punish Benin. He began the expedition.

As he rode his white horse his drummers went on ahead. Their drums spoke like this: "Ogedengbe is coming. Ogunmola is finished, Now it is Benin's turn. Benin, prepare yourself, prepare to bury your corpses". The sound of the drums was heard far away. Whenever Ogedengbe's army passed through a village there was no sign of human beings and the fields were empty.

For everywhere it was said that Ogedengbe's drums and war horns spoke only the truth. When the drums said that Ogunmola had been defeated, everyone agreed that it must be so. Word of Ogedengbe's approach came to Benin. The ruler of that city met with his councillors to discuss the situation. They sent a messenger to Ogedengbe. He said: "Our people say there is no need to make war on Benin. Benin has done nothing hostile to you. The people know of your courage and achievements, and they praise you. Ogedengbe, turn back and leave Benin as it stands. This is the message I have brought you.

An illustration of General Ogedengbe and his drummers (www.ogedengbe.com)
Ogedengbe spoke harshly. He said: "It is just as I thought it would be.

The city of Benin whimpers like a child. Hear my drums, for they speak only what is true. The drums say, 'Now it is Benin's turn.' Return to the city and tell your Oba what I have said."

The messenger returned to Benin. He reported Ogedengbe’s words.

Once again the people of Benin sent a messenger to plead with Ogedengbe not to make war on the city. Again Ogedengbe rebuffed the messenger. His army arrived at Benin, surrounded the city and dug a moat around it to prevent the inhabitants from escaping. Benin was besieged. The Oba of Benin, the subchiefs and the councillors discussed their situation. They foresaw that the city would be destroyed and their army defeated. While some said: "Let us go out and fight," others said, "No. Listen to Ogedengbe's drums. They recall his great victories over other cities. They speak only what is true."

After the argument had been going on this way for a long time, one of the elders of Benin said: "Can Ogedengbe's drums say only one thing? What are drums, after all? They are objects made of wood and hide. They say only what drummers make them say. Ogedengbe's drums can say other things. They can speak of Benin's greatness also." people answered: "Now, Ogedengbe's drummers are dear to his heart, for the words their drums speak remind him to be courageous, and his warriors also take courage from the sound.

Why, then, would the drummers make their drums tell of Benin's greatness?" The elder answered: "I will tell you about this thing. The drummers play what pleases Ogedengbe because he pays them well. Does a musician live who does not play what he is paid for? Very well. Let us be patrons to the drummers."The people saw merit in it. They collected cowries from whoever had cowries, and the Oba and the subchiefs gave the greatest share. They appointed a messenger. In the dark of night the messenger took the cowries and went out of the city to the place where the drummers were resting.

The messenger said to them: 'Tour drumming has been heard. In the city the people have praised it. They say you are truly great musicians and poets. The tones of your drums are so perfect that no one can mistake their meanings. The people of Benin would like you to drum something for them before the battle begins tomorrow. For this small deed they will give you ten thousand cowries." The drummers talked among themselves. They agreed. They asked,

"What do you want our drums to say?"

"Why," the messenger said, "just a small phrase. Have your drums

say, 'When has Benin ever been defeated?' Have them say, 'Never has Benin been walked on by its enemies.' " He gave the drummers the ten thousand cowries and went back to the city.

The light of the morning sun began to be visible. Ogedengbe ordered his warriors to prepare for battle. They made themselves ready for the attack. Ogedengbe mounted his horse. The drums began to play.

But instead of reciting Ogedengbe's praise names and recalling his great deeds the drums said: "When has Benin ever been defeated?

Never has Benin been walked on by its enemies."

All in Ogedengbe's camp heard the drums and were surprised. Anger filled Ogedengbe as he heard the drums say over and over:

"When has Benin ever been defeated?

Never has Benin been walked on by its enemies."

Doubt came to Ogedengbe. He thought: "It is true. Benin has never fallen in war." His fury for battle softened. His warriors with their weapons in their hands, they too were thinking: "Have Ogedengbe's drums ever spoken a falsehood? What they say now is so. Benin has never been beaten to the ground. Although it has many enemies Benin has only survived and grown greater."

Ogedengbe's eagerness to attack Benin diminished, until at last he ordered his fighting men to withdraw to the outskirts of the city. There he had his drummers executed for making their drums say at the very moment of attack, "When has Benin ever been defeated?" After that Ogedengbe and his army returned to Ilesha.

http://www.marcusgarvey.com

Illustrations taken from Ogedengbe Agbogungboro booklet by Olusesan Ajewole.

Copyright © 2005-2010, OGASE Communications. All rights reserved.

Interesting. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by forgiveness: 11:51pm On Jan 17, 2021
Christistruth00:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/yorubarenaissance.com/2020/09/19/1176/amp/

"Ogedengbe exploits also took him to Ekiti and Akoko areas where he sold a lot of them into slavery. This was why he was often referred to as “O soko Ekiti soko Akoko”. He also went as far as the present day Edo state. The Oba of Benin had to appeace him before he desisted from waging war against his domain. He gave Ogedengbe presents of beads, slaves and other valuable articles."

CC :TAO

I thought Ilesha and Ekiti were allies against Ibadan.
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by forgiveness: 12:04am On Jan 18, 2021
TAO11:
I noticed you just deactivated this account too because the going got rough for you. cheesy I expected that though. cheesy

However, hold this in the meantime while I make time to get back to your criminal brother, Etinosa aka ayoola27.

You’ve just proven yourself again to be nothing but a bald-headed, janus-faced, fatuous liar!

No where does the above 1948 video documentary say that the Ooni of Ife is not a king but a priest. Neither was he introduced as priest.

Rather, the video states at timestamp 0:14 and I quote here below:

The Ooni of Ife, spiritual leader of over three million Nigerian tribesmen, was one of the important arrivals”.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=989866004541431

And that is accurate because all Yoruba kings (that is, including the Benin monarch) are considered in, Yoruba religious belief, to be demi-deities — ikeji-õṣà.

Since the Ooni of Ife is the leader of all the monarchs of Yorubaland, this fact thus rightfully makes him the spiritual leader of all Yorubas (and Binis).

Notice that this 1948 meeting which held in Lancaster house and entitled “The African Conference in London” had the Ooni of Ife representing Nigeria in his capacity as leader of the south-west ‘tribes’ — which included the Binis among others.

This leader of the then south-west ‘tribes’ was not deemed to be the Alaafin Oyo, nor was it deemed to be the Omonoba n’Edo, but rather the Ooni Ife.

Note that he wasn’t yet honored as a British knight at the time. Neither was he yet a Governor at the time. He simply represented Nigeria in his capacity as a tribe leader — a tribe which included the Binis.

In addition to the above 1948 documentary, the attached pages below are from a 1903 publication entitled “Native Crowns”.

These attached pages from the paper shows the published summary of a proceeding in which the Ooni of Ife was clearly and rightfully identified as the leading monarch for all of Yorubaland.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12915204_3bb91d9be2ea45c5afd3f41e88728f3e_jpeg_jpeg645a15f18177fc5fe10c58c7cc98cb9c
www.nairaland.com/attachments/12915205_d21b9942ec6b49db8268dddb52125c5d_jpeg_jpeg5b7a9464bca8be76b7a6cbdd30d76898
www.nairaland.com/attachments/12915206_ea1bb7bbeb514c029bf799998b655ca3_jpeg_jpeg94b9f98f3c978fcbb8823afc65a47cbc

~ The Editor, “Native Crowns,” Journal of the Royal African Society, April 1903, Vol. 2, No. 7, Oxford University Press.

I am pleased to always rubbish you all over Nairaland.

Cheers!

Very insightful but I don't agree with that Oni of Ife. Alaafin of Oyo and Awujale of Ode were independent of Ife. They don't get their authority from Ife.

Besides, Oni of Ife was never the only one that gave out crowns to obas as at the time he spoke.

I may be wrong.
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Christistruth00: 12:04am On Jan 18, 2021
forgiveness:

I thought Ilesha and Ekiti were allies against Ibadan.

They were Gen Ogedengbe was furious that Benin Supplied Ibadan with Arms and Ammunition when Ibadan attacked Ilesha so Ogendegbe and the Ekitiparapo Army attacked Benin

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (35) (Reply)

Thugs Invade INEC Office In Agege. Chaos Ensues / Bayelsa Monarch 'Progress-Never-Die' Struggling For His Life In Hospital(Pic / Voters Receive Rotimi Akeredolu, Ondo APC Governorship Candidate (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.