Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,920 members, 7,952,698 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 09:30 PM

Who Have Seen The Financial Act Of 2021? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Have Seen The Financial Act Of 2021? (209 Views)

Dr Chinelo's Death: Joyebeneza, The Most Heartless Tweet I Have Seen On Twitter / Tinubu: Nigerians Have Seen Ancestors Dressing As Youths Before - Adeyanju / 2023: I’ve Seen The Next President Of Nigeria – Babangida (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Who Have Seen The Financial Act Of 2021? by IamAtikulate: 11:40am On Jan 16, 2021
According to the new financial act, import duty for car is now 5% and 10% for mass transit vehicles.

Jonathan increased import duties for cars and mass transit vehicles to 30% and 35% respectively to encourage local manufacturers but President Buhari reduced them to 5% and 10% respectively.

Can any Economist explain the implication of this policy? I thought we should be increasing the duty to 40% and 45% respectively. Why is the President crashing them?
Re: Who Have Seen The Financial Act Of 2021? by edoairways: 12:27pm On Jan 16, 2021
Probably because of the lust for foreign products, many business owners had result to import goods from neighbouring countries. The government looses more revenue while neighbouring countries gain. In order to capture these importers into the tax net, this regime had to reduce import duties. This is a bad policy on the long run since the infant industries might be affected. Secondly there might be high demand for forex which may deplict the foreign reserve.

(1) (Reply)

2023 Presidency: "Stop Being Mischievous",tsg Advises Karounwi / Okorocha Snubs PDP, Plans To Form New Party / Looking For A Reputable Lawyer Or Agency In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.