Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,351 members, 7,822,666 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

You Can't be The Best In One Thing......Its Impossible! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / You Can't be The Best In One Thing......Its Impossible! (379 Views)

Places Where You Can't Be Arrested In Nigeria / One Thing You Should Not Procrastinate If You Are Running A Business In Nigeria / He Was Fired After Performing An "Impossible" Task (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Can't be The Best In One Thing......Its Impossible! by Themploymenthub: 11:44am On Jan 16, 2021
CAREER CAPSULE

Scott Adams
on Developing Skill

If you want an average successful life, it doesn’t take much planning. Just stay out of trouble, go to school, and apply for jobs you might like. But if you want something extraordinary, you have two paths:

1. Become the best at one specific thing.
2. Become very good (top 25%) at two or more things.

The first strategy is difficult to the point of near impossibility.

The second strategy is fairly easy. Everyone has at least a few areas in which they could be in the top 25% with some effort. In my case, I can draw better than most people, but I’m hardly an artist. And I’m not any funnier than the average standup comedian who never makes it big, but I’m funnier than most people. The magic is that few people can draw well and write jokes. It’s the combination of the two that makes what I do so rare. And when you add in my business background, suddenly I had a topic that few cartoonists could hope to understand without living it.

I always advise young people to become good public speakers (top 25%). Anyone can do it with practice. If you add that talent to any other, suddenly you’re the boss of the people who have only one skill. Or get a degree in business on top of your engineering degree, law degree, medical degree, science degree, or whatever. Suddenly you’re in charge, or maybe you’re starting your own company using your combined knowledge
Re: You Can't be The Best In One Thing......Its Impossible! by Themploymenthub: 6:28pm On Jun 29, 2021
Hi
Re: You Can't be The Best In One Thing......Its Impossible! by EmploymentCV: 12:18pm On Oct 06, 2021
hi

(1) (Reply)

Business Minded Only!!! What Lucrative Business Can I Start With 400k / UK Stops Recruitment Of Doctors, Nurses From Nigeria, 46 Other Countries / Why Do We Have So Many Cook From Benin Republic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.