Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,540 members, 7,955,005 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:17 PM

What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? (3791 Views)

What Is The Difference Between A Lake, A River, And A Stream? / What's The Difference Between Med Lab Science And Med Lab Tech / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by Ogamysamo: 10:52pm On Jan 16, 2021
pegix:

Note: why some of these words indicate which word is noun or verb Some shows which is british or american word
'twale' guy! thanks alot. i SERIOUSLY benefited from your breaking down you'll make a better english teacher or lecturer o!
<i don't even know he you are one self>

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by Ogamysamo: 10:55pm On Jan 16, 2021
edoairways:

The spelling ‘offense’ should be used in American publications, while ‘offence’ is better suited for publications in other English-speaking regions.
SURE?
your opinion seems to contradict others

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by Ogamysamo: 10:59pm On Jan 16, 2021
mu2sa2:
. Note the pronunciation (often disregarded by most Nigerians): In adviSe the "s" sounds as "z"; while in adviCe the "c" is pronounced as "s"
that means 9jas dem spoil english na!
mtcheeeew! no be our own sha, dem jos de fors us

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by Owoedimo7(m): 11:32pm On Jan 16, 2021
[left][/left]
rossychik:
Advice noun
Advise verb
That's why we have advised,( past tense)
advises(singular verb)
Also, the stress is on different syllable
ADvice and adVISE
Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by STINOS(m): 5:37am On Jan 17, 2021
Advice:–Advice is a noun. It means help or suggestions for a beneficial course of action.
It talks about something someone tells you to do because they think it is the best course of action.
When we have a problem and we don't know what to do ,we ask someone for their advice. we ask them what they think is best for us to do.

Example:-
You should talk to your Mum. She always gives excellent advice.

Advise:- Advise is a verb that means to give advice.
The verb must always be followed by the person we are advising. In this way , it is just like the verb 'tell'.

Example:-
Mum advises you to buy good books.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by Petyr1: 6:35am On Jan 17, 2021
promisedeco:

Been is the part participle of be. E.g I have been waiting for you.
Being is the present continuous form of be E.g Being the best is important
so that means "I am just being careful" is correct
Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by femi4: 7:30am On Jan 17, 2021
Ogamysamo:
english is too heavy as compared to our local dialect and such had confused many including me in several areas where a thing with a specific name in our nigerian languages will be called in two or more ways in english. sometime different and sometime similar which has to be used differently.

now here am i facing another tough time experience when going in and out of the strange but friendly mr. english

come across mr. advise and meet another mr. advice not sure if they are both correct or one is wrong
and the worst part is that i don't see any difference in their pronounciation

what is the difference that these two things here(advise&advice) have please?
Advice: Noun

Advise: verb

He was ADVISED to reject the ADVICE
Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by FinQuestFinance: 8:29am On Jan 17, 2021
Financial Modelling and Valuation is pivotal to advancing your career as a Finance Professional.

The CFI FMVA offers you a competitive edge, knowledge and certification wise.

FinQuest Finance is here to support you with zero-interest loan for the course. Apply via: www.finquestfinance.com/apply

Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by Dtruthspeaker: 8:49am On Jan 17, 2021
CalliDora1:

I beg to disagree a little here on the word "advice" being an American spelling. It is not. It's a noun form of *advise".

I do not contest that it is not a "noun" but I was simply laying the history of it in relation to the History of the Americas.

The Truth is Always in the Past if it is not immediately seen or known.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by Teena18(f): 9:53am On Jan 17, 2021
gaius01:
Arrrrrrrh

Advise is a verb meaning “to give counsel to; offer an opinion or suggestion as worth following.”
Advice is a noun meaning “an opinion or recommendation offered as a guide to action, conduct, etc.”

Nice.

Maybe it's because I don't know the difference between Patronize and Patronise that's why people no de patronize me cry
Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by Juliearth(f): 10:21am On Jan 17, 2021
Kriss216:
Offence
Offense

Center
Centre

I’m confused with these words.

Offence- noun
Offense- verb

Center- American
Centre-British
Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by Lawly: 11:48am On Jan 17, 2021
You see, this shows that Nigerians don't read at all. They spend too much time discussing and talking sex all the time

Bia nwaa go and read ur English textbooks
Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by promisedeco(m): 12:23pm On Jan 17, 2021
Petyr1:
so that means "I am just being careful" is correct
You are.
And you could also say:

I had been careful - which means that you were careful but stopped being careful

I have been careful - which means that you were careful in the past and also careful now

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by Petyr1: 9:24pm On Jan 17, 2021
promisedeco:

You are.
And you could also say:

I had been careful - which means that you were careful but stopped being careful

I have been careful - which means that you were careful in the past and also careful now
English!!! Thanks

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Juremi Foundation Takes Vocational Exercise To School Of The Blind In Abuja / WUFPBK 2018/2019 Admission List Is Out. / Many Are Married But Only A Few Can Understand This Math Is A Language(mr Shape)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.