Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,633 members, 7,801,825 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:45 AM

5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast (5810 Views)

My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far / Meet Emmanuella Mayaki: Hired By A School In The UK As Coding Instructor / Junior Developer Internship So Hard To Find (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:14am On Jan 17, 2021
I posted this topic earlier but it got removed by the anti spam bot.

A lot of people are learning to code and why not. It's the best Industry to get into right now. Aside a ton of jobs, there's also a lot of ways to make side income as a developer. It's an amazing skill set to have that can produce a ton of value both for an individual and for the general society at large.

However, a lot of people aren't getting jobs easily especially junior developers. The Industry is very brutal to beginners so if you are a beginner you want to be strategic in your learning and what kind of jobs you apply to. Your goal at the beginning is to get into the game and start getting paid.

This list doesn't apply to you if you love the latest tools and frameworks. This list also doesn't apply to you if you love deep computer science fundamentals. If you do go learn some C++, master all relevant data structures and algorithms and go work at Google and build out tools for we mere mortal programmers. For the rest of us who are coding to get a job and make some bread fast then this list Is for you.

1. Wordpress theme: WordPress powers up 32 percent of the internet and is not going anyway anytime soon. Everyday millions of wordpress websites are launched on the internet and it's the go to technology for marketing agencies. Knowing how to build custom WordPress themes would easily enable you get jobs as a developer in a marketing agency as they are always getting big time custom jobs and not a lot of people know how to do this presently. If you are the type that hates PHP, be aware that you can build a wordpress theme with React and Gatsby using the Gatsby source wordpress experimental plugin.

2. Wordpress plugins: what better way to validate your knowledge as a full stack developer than a wordpress plugin? This shows that you can build a whole useful application on your end. An amazing thing to have on your portfolio. As a developer that works with wordpress a lot of your job will be extending functionalities to current plugins and building new ones and this project let's your potential employer see that you can do just that.

3. Shopify theme: Shopify is the second largest e commerce platform in the world. It's the go to platform for small businesses with regards to e commerce. Shopify developers are Increasingly in demand in agencies worldwide. It's not taught anywhere so if you want to learn this technology get ready to grind it out on the Shopify documentation. Knowing to build out your own Shopify themes set you ahead of the pack in regards to Shopify developer jobs.

4. Shopify application: same reason as wordpress.

5. Magento theme: Magento is the world's largest e commerce platform. It's used by medium sized to really big businesses. It's a very complicated platform and due to its complexity most jobs require that you are Magento certified. According to Magento, we have just two certified Magento developers in Nigeria. What better way to prove your competence in a complex platform if you aren't certified by showing off a theme you made in that platform.

Bonus

Real estate or e commerce platform with laravel. If you are a junior developer that went one-step further to learn laravel then you might consider building an application of this sort with it. I usually don't advice people to learn laravel even though it's based on PHP and beautiful to use. It's the most popular backend framework and a junior would be competing with a senior for a lot of jobs. However, a complex project in laravel would get you interview calls and you never know when one of those interviews would turn into an opportunity.

You don't have to go out and build really complex projects. You would burn out. For the wordpress theme you could take a really basic blog, style it and make it beautiful and responsive across all devices. For an application you could take an external API and build something in wordpress with it. For instance you could use the paystacks API to build out an application to check if account numbers entered into a system are valid or not.

Once you have all your projects ready. Get your resume done and begin to apply to jobs like a mad man. It's relatively easy to get jobs in these technologies even remotely as absolutely no one I repeat no one wants to work with them.

20 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by Goldencheese(m): 2:25am On Jan 17, 2021
Thanks for sharing this.
God bless
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:58am On Jan 17, 2021
Goldencheese:
Thanks for sharing this.
God bless
You are welcome.
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by stanliwise(m): 8:16am On Jan 17, 2021
Not trying to downplay on your post but for a company looking out for a potential dev. They usually frown at using CMS for young dev.

Reason is because young devs are fond of just doing theme and plugin installations when it comes to CMS , since they lack deep understand to make their own code, and companies need people who can sit down with some raw lines of code and do things. While CMS is a must for anyone who wants to make quick money especially in the freelance world, writing the actual code for CMS doesn’t sound like the job of a junior developer.

If a young dev start out coding Wordpress plugins, Shopify or magneto then I am quite sure almost none of them would be usable, reason being that the market for those CMS are just too saturated with devs for many things you can think of and I wonder who will use your own plugin.

Shopify and magneto is a bit a complicated for young dev to start jumping at, I will advise young dev to focus on just plain simple and functional website with minimalistic codes

4 Likes

Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by Nobody: 8:43am On Jan 17, 2021
stanliwise:
Not trying to downplay on your post but for a company looking out for a potential dev. They usually frown at using CMS for young dev.

Reason is because young devs are fond of just doing theme and plugin installations when it comes to CMS , since they lack deep understand to make their own code, and companies need people who can sit down with some raw lines of code and do things. While CMS is a must for anyone who wants to make quick money especially in the freelance world, writing the actual code for CMS doesn’t sound like the job of a junior developer.

If a young dev start out coding Wordpress plugins, Shopify or magneto then I am quite sure almost none of them would be usable, reason being that the market for those CMS are just too saturated with devs for many things you can think of and I wonder who will use your own plugin.

Shopify and magneto is a bit a complicated for young dev to start jumping at, I will advise young dev to focus on just plain simple and functional website with minimalistic codes
I made a comment but my real account got banned by the spambot. I also used to think that the market for this technologies was saturated but that's so not true at all. People who can do real development in this platforms are very few. Let's take Nigeria for instance. How many Nigerian developers can build a custom WordPress theme from.the ground up or a custom WordPress plugin. If they could, why I am not seeing Nigerian code products on envato.

My mentor then was advising me as you are doing now. I should learn the trendy things. Immediately I finished react I was learning Nodejs but when I go online I would see like 2 node jobs which are for senior developers and I would see hundreds of wordpress and php work. I am talking about advanced things in wordpress. Extending plugin functionality, adding functionality to a theme and all of that. I dumped that node and learnt PHP the basics then moved into wordpress theme development. I l learnt to build wordpress themes from scratch with wordpress as a monolithic system and with wordpress and React which isn't easy trust me. The wordpress theme I had built got me two jobs with foreign marketing agencies but I had to be let go as the internet speed here is horrible and part of the job involves duplicating sites of over 100 gigabytes and working on them. Those jobs paid 15 and 8 USD per hour respectively. The interviews for these jobs for also very easy and minimalistic. My present job I didn't even apply to it. They saw my wordpress React theme online and gave me a call and a job. Mind you I haven't even been coding for up to a year o.

I wasted like two months learning Nodejs but I haven't even spent up to 3 months with wordpress and php. I still can't build plugins yet but I can build themes. It's much better for a junior developer who needs a job and money to learn to develop in those platforms as the developers who can do custom work there are few. A lot of people think it's just drag and drop. It's more than that o. Once you know HTML CSS, JavaScript and one JavaScript Framework it's fucking easy to pick up something like Shopify or wordpress. Those platforms do a lot of your backend work for you and take away a lot of the abstraction that comes to backend development.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by stanliwise(m): 9:35am On Jan 17, 2021
tensazangetsu:

I made a comment but my real account got banned by the spambot. I also used to think that the market for this technologies was saturated but that's so not true at all. People who can do real development in this platforms are very few. Let's take Nigeria for instance. How many Nigerian developers can build a custom WordPress theme from.the ground up or a custom WordPress plugin. If they could, why I am not seeing Nigerian code products on envato.

My mentor then was advising me as you are doing now. I should learn the trendy things. Immediately I finished react I was learning Nodejs but when I go online I would see like 2 node jobs which are for senior developers and I would see hundreds of wordpress and php work. I am talking about advanced things in wordpress. Extending plugin functionality, adding functionality to a theme and all of that. I dumped that node and learnt PHP the basics then moved into wordpress theme development. I l learnt to build wordpress themes from scratch with wordpress as a monolithic system and with wordpress and React which isn't easy trust me. The wordpress theme I had built got me two jobs with foreign marketing agencies but I had to be let go as the internet speed here is horrible and part of the job involves duplicating sites of over 100 gigabytes and working on them. Those jobs paid 15 and 8 USD per hour respectively. The interviews for these jobs for also very easy and minimalistic. My present job I didn't even apply to it. They saw my wordpress React theme online and gave me a call and a job. Mind you I haven't even been coding for up to a year o.

I wasted like two months learning Nodejs but I haven't even spent up to 3 months with wordpress and php. I still can't build plugins yet but I can build themes. It's much better for a junior developer who needs a job and money to learn to develop in those platforms as the developers who can do custom work there are few. A lot of people think it's just drag and drop. It's more than that o. Once you know HTML CSS, JavaScript and one JavaScript Framework it's fucking easy to pick up something like Shopify or wordpress. Those platforms do a lot of your backend work for you and take away a lot of the abstraction that comes to backend development.
I understand you clearly but if you advise just coding frontend for Wordpress then it is just similar to the advise I was giving. The truth is that plugin and theme development are quite technical especially for young dev to wrap around at the beginning. Maybe it was different for you, but I don’t see it any easier than coding from scratch plain html, css, Vue or React frontend applications.

For plugin development, you need some technical knowledge to build one. I know this for sure because I do plugin development.

In conclusion I think CMS isn’t a place fit for young dev in the long run. I think plain vanilla codes and doing things from scratch is the best fit for anyone who looks forward to a great development career.

As for PHP vs NodeJS. PHP has the far job opportunities, like it is too wide of a gap, and it was same reason it I have never moved to Node since I see no reason to it, meanwhile if you wanna earn with node, you need patience to learn things deeply, else no one will pay you.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by Nobody: 9:40am On Jan 17, 2021
stanliwise:

I understand you clearly but if you advise just coding frontend for Wordpress then it is just similar to the advise I was giving. The truth is that plugin and theme development are quite technical especially for young dev to wrap around at the beginning. Maybe it was different for you, but I don’t see it any easier than coding from scratch plain html, css, Vue or React frontend applications.

For plugin development, you need some technical knowledge to build one. I know this for sure because I do plugin development.

In conclusion I think CMS isn’t a place fit for young dev in the long run. I think plain vanilla codes and doing things from scratch is the best fit for anyone who looks forward to a great development career.

As for PHP vs NodeJS. PHP has the far job opportunities, like it is too wide of a gap, and it was same reason it I have never moved to Node since I see no reason to it, meanwhile if you wanna earn with node, you need patience to learn things deeply, else no one will pay you.
Wordpress theme development isn't just coding frontend. It's the whole package. If you are using react to build out wordpress frontend pages then you need Nodejs to create the pages, pagination, routes et al statically lipsrsealed. If you are doing wordpress as a monolithic system then you would be using PHP a lot. Inserting data from the database. Deleting data from the database. Using JavaScript and jQuery to manipulate the DOM. Pulling in custom functions from plugins. Where's the minimalistic code there?

As for plugins I didn't bother learning to make them. I am instead learning to build applications on another platform. Anything can be done with determination especially once someone has learnt the basics.

Like you said las las everything depends on the individual sha.

1 Like

Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by stanliwise(m): 10:16am On Jan 17, 2021
tensazangetsu:

Wordpress theme development isn't just coding frontend. It's the whole package. If you are using react to build out wordpress frontend pages then you need Nodejs to create the pages, pagination, routes et al statically lipsrsealed. If you are doing wordpress as a monolithic system then you would be using PHP a lot. Inserting data from the database. Deleting data from the database. Using JavaScript and jQuery to manipulate the DOM. Pulling in custom functions from plugins. Where's the minimalistic code there?

As for plugins I didn't bother learning to make them. I am instead learning to build applications on another platform. Anything can be done with determination especially once someone has learnt the basics.

Like you said las las everything depends on the individual sha.
I build Wordpress themes and I do VueJs so I understand what you’re talking about. Anyway it’s fine. A stand-alone project is much more easier to land you dream job than the one with dependency on a CMS. I am talking from the view point of an HR.

As from the coding aspect. It is nice and ok. For senior devs all this don’t matter because all they see is portfolios and projects you work on, no soul concentrate on which and which CMS it is tied upon. Not so for young dev.
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by MrJavaS: 1:20pm On Jan 17, 2021
stanliwise:

But do employers really give a damn about what stack you use.?
I mean what you can code with PHP and SQL database can equally be done with Node.js's express framework and MongoDB databases
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by Karleb(m): 1:32pm On Jan 17, 2021
MrJavaS:

I mean what you can code with PHP and SQL database can equally be done with Node.js's express framework and MongoDB databases

To an extent, yes.

If I had an existing project in react, I'd probably hire a react developer for a refactor.
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by stanliwise(m): 1:42pm On Jan 17, 2021
MrJavaS:

yes they do a lot of damn.
Most times you work with other devs and you also work on an already existing software.

Most company software were built using PHP and MySQL and paying PHP and MySQL dev is a little cheaper compare to node since you find them a lot. Also due to the age of PHP and MySQL your coders are likely to find solution to challenging problems unlike Node and other languages
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by Donpre(m): 2:36pm On Jan 17, 2021
Frontend or backend?

Anyway, unless those companies have products that run in these themes and plugins, I doubt they'd consider such developer

A startup wouldn't consider this, neither would a banking firm, or even a ecommerce company

Which company would actually employ a developer for knowing how to build themes and plugins?
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by Karleb(m): 2:52pm On Jan 17, 2021
Why are posts getting deleted?
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by MrJavaS: 3:18pm On Jan 17, 2021
Karleb:
Why are posts getting deleted?

Nairaland and their spam bots.
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by Naijatask: 3:19pm On Jan 17, 2021
stanliwise:

I build Wordpress themes and I do VueJs so I understand what you’re talking about. Anyway it’s fine. A stand-alone project is much more easier to land you dream job than the one with dependency on a CMS. I am talking from the view point of an HR.

As from the coding aspect. It is nice and ok. For senior devs all this don’t matter because all they see is portfolios and projects you work on, no soul concentrate on which and which CMS it is tied upon. Not so for young dev.

If I may ask, how long did it take you, to learn JS? It's been like 4months now, and i'm still struggling. Can you share the resources you used? Perhaps ebooks?
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by MrJavaS: 3:20pm On Jan 17, 2021
stanliwise:
yes they do a lot of damn.
Most times you work with other devs and you also work on an already existing software.

Most company software were built using PHP and MySQL and paying PHP and MySQL dev is a little cheaper compare to node since you find them a lot. Also due to the age of PHP and MySQL your coders are likely to find solution to challenging problems unlike Node and other languages

You are right though. It wouldn't hurt to have both skill sets.

I have learnt both front end and backend.
I started with HTML, CSS (with sass), vanilla JS node.js with the express framework with MongoDB. So I guess learning Shopify and the rest wouldn't be a problem
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by stanliwise(m): 4:26pm On Jan 17, 2021
MrJavaS:

You are right though. It wouldn't hurt to have both skill sets.

I have learnt both front end and backend.
I started with HTML, CSS (with sass), vanilla JS node.js with the express framework with MongoDB. So I guess learning Shopify and the rest wouldn't be a problem
The question actually is how many are you good at atleast to an industrial level, if I mention the languages I have learnt ehm, chai.

Anyone you’re good to go. You’re no beginner
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by stanliwise(m): 4:30pm On Jan 17, 2021
Naijatask:

If I may ask, how long did it take you, to learn JS? It's been like 4months now, and i'm still struggling. Can you share the resources you used? Perhaps ebooks?
it is really technical, I am still learning JS as I speak. But what you concentrate on is how to use your small acquire skill on a practical level. What problem can you now solve should be your watch work. Learning is very active in JS. It runs at light speed. JS is too fast for anyone to catch up with all its ability.

Anyway I read technical books only, I am rereading “You don’t know Js” series.
I also recommend you watch YouTube videos on specific concept you don’t understand.
I don’t mean anyhow video or series but specific video on technical concept.
After watching it, find a way to use in any practical way for proper solidification.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by Naijatask: 6:56pm On Jan 17, 2021
stanliwise:
it is really technical, I am still learning JS as I speak. But what you concentrate on is how to use your small acquire skill on a practical level. What problem can you now solve should be your watch work. Learning is very active in JS. It runs at light speed. JS is too fast for anyone to catch up with all its ability.

Anyway I read technical books only, I am rereading “You don’t know Js” series.
I also recommend you watch YouTube videos on specific concept you don’t understand.
I don’t mean anyhow video or series but specific video on technical concept.
After watching it, find a way to use in any practical way for proper solidification.

Thanks boss
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by syluck(m): 6:34am On Jan 18, 2021
Thanks for this
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by Anonime1105(m): 9:57am On Jan 19, 2021
Another one.
Thanks bro
Your thread are always inspiring
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by africanman85: 1:27pm On Jan 20, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
I posted this topic earlier but it got removed by the anti spam bot.

A lot of people are learning to code and why not. It's the best Industry to get into right now. Aside a ton of jobs, there's also a lot of ways to make side income as a developer. It's an amazing skill set to have that can produce a ton of value both for an individual and for the general society at large.

However, a lot of people aren't getting jobs easily especially junior developers. The Industry is very brutal to beginners so if you are a beginner you want to be strategic in your learning and what kind of jobs you apply to. Your goal at the beginning is to get into the game and start getting paid.

This list doesn't apply to you if you love the latest tools and frameworks. This list also doesn't apply to you if you love deep computer science fundamentals. If you do go learn some C++, master all relevant data structures and algorithms and go work at Google and build out tools for we mere mortal programmers. For the rest of us who are coding to get a job and make some bread fast then this list Is for you.

1. Wordpress theme: WordPress powers up 32 percent of the internet and is not going anyway anytime soon. Everyday millions of wordpress websites are launched on the internet and it's the go to technology for marketing agencies. Knowing how to build custom WordPress themes would easily enable you get jobs as a developer in a marketing agency as they are always getting big time custom jobs and not a lot of people know how to do this presently. If you are the type that hates PHP, be aware that you can build a wordpress theme with React and Gatsby using the Gatsby source wordpress experimental plugin.

2. Wordpress plugins: what better way to validate your knowledge as a full stack developer than a wordpress plugin? This shows that you can build a whole useful application on your end. An amazing thing to have on your portfolio. As a developer that works with wordpress a lot of your job will be extending functionalities to current plugins and building new ones and this project let's your potential employer see that you can do just that.

3. Shopify theme: Shopify is the second largest e commerce platform in the world. It's the go to platform for small businesses with regards to e commerce. Shopify developers are Increasingly in demand in agencies worldwide. It's not taught anywhere so if you want to learn this technology get ready to grind it out on the Shopify documentation. Knowing to build out your own Shopify themes set you ahead of the pack in regards to Shopify developer jobs.

4. Shopify application: same reason as wordpress.

5. Magento theme: Magento is the world's largest e commerce platform. It's used by medium sized to really big businesses. It's a very complicated platform and due to its complexity most jobs require that you are Magento certified. According to Magento, we have just two certified Magento developers in Nigeria. What better way to prove your competence in a complex platform if you aren't certified by showing off a theme you made in that platform.

Bonus

Real estate or e commerce platform with laravel. If you are a junior developer that went one-step further to learn laravel then you might consider building an application of this sort with it. I usually don't advice people to learn laravel even though it's based on PHP and beautiful to use. It's the most popular backend framework and a junior would be competing with a senior for a lot of jobs. However, a complex project in laravel would get you interview calls and you never know when one of those interviews would turn into an opportunity.

You don't have to go out and build really complex projects. You would burn out. For the wordpress theme you could take a really basic blog, style it and make it beautiful and responsive across all devices. For an application you could take an external API and build something in wordpress with it. For instance you could use the paystacks API to build out an application to check if account numbers entered into a system are valid or not.

Once you have all your projects ready. Get your resume done and begin to apply to jobs like a mad man. It's relatively easy to get jobs in these technologies even remotely as absolutely no one I repeat no one wants to work with them.
Bro pls send me a good junior developer resume here africanman85op@gmail.com
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by Etinosa1234: 11:59am On Jan 21, 2021
So make people wey dey learn Android enter bush Abi?

2 Likes

Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by Grandlord: 7:36pm On Jan 22, 2021
Etinosa1234:
So make people wey dey learn Android enter bush Abi?

grin

How far have you gone in Android?
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by Etinosa1234: 8:33pm On Jan 22, 2021
Grandlord:

grin

How far have you gone in Android?

I still deh learn boss..

I'm almost through with my first app sir
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by Grandlord: 9:45pm On Jan 22, 2021
Etinosa1234:

I still deh learn boss..

I'm almost through with my first app sir

We'll done, my man cool

Mobile sweet me pass all dis web dev mata grin
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by Etinosa1234: 3:00pm On Jan 23, 2021
Grandlord:

We'll done, my man cool

Mobile sweet me pass all dis web dev mata grin

I hope so ooo..Maybe na because I just dey Start Sha....any small error wey my android studio bring, I go don dey evaluate my programming career

U sef na app developer?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Java Programming: Magic Square / Initial Coin Offering (ICO) Script For Sale - Build your own crypto currency / How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job

Viewing this topic: qtguru(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.