Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,084 members, 7,814,750 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:59 PM

5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast (5868 Views)

My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far / Meet Emmanuella Mayaki: Hired By A School In The UK As Coding Instructor / Junior Developer Internship So Hard To Find (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by Grandlord: 7:50pm On Jan 23, 2021
Etinosa1234:

I hope so ooo..Maybe na because I just dey Start Sha....any small error wey my android studio bring, I go don dey evaluate my programming career

U sef na app developer?

grin No fear. As you dey push dey go everything go clear.

Na the work wey we dey do cool
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by Etinosa1234: 9:07pm On Jan 23, 2021
Grandlord:

grin No fear. As you dey push dey go everything go clear.

Na the work wey we dey do cool

Thanks boss... I don already finish my own..Na just to add small touches...

When I finish am, I go mention u make me help me rate am abeg....

Thanks boss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by Grandlord: 10:01pm On Jan 23, 2021
Etinosa1234:

Thanks boss... I don already finish my own..Na just to add small touches...

When I finish am, I go mention u make me help me rate am abeg....

Thanks boss
No shakin my guy.
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by GuyInTheMirror: 2:36am On Jan 24, 2021
Hey guys, would someone trying to get into backend development need to learn Shopify ? Would you guys recommend backend or frontend ? I am more comfortable in the backend so I am currently learning html, css, javascript and django..but las las na to get job be the main issue.
Is django a profitable skill to have ?
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:03am On Jan 24, 2021
GuyInTheMirror:
Hey guys, would someone trying to get into backend development need to learn Shopify ? Would you guys recommend backend or frontend ? I am more comfortable in the backend so I am currently learning html, css, javascript and django..but las las na to get job be the main issue.
Is django a profitable skill to have ?
Truthfully Django is not a profitable skill. I always recommend newbies to check the job market. There's very few Django jobs out there and the few are for senior developers. Hardly would you get an opportunity as a junior Django developer except you plan to build your own Company once you done learning

As for Shopify, you need the frontend. So learn HTML CSS JavaScript, React which Shopify uses and then ruby on rails. Then hop onto the Shopify documentation to learn liquid.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by GuyInTheMirror: 7:26am On Jan 24, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Truthfully Django is not a profitable skill. I always recommend newbies to check the job market. There's very few Django jobs out there and the few are for senior developers. Hardly would you get an opportunity as a junior Django developer except you plan to build your own Company once you done learning

As for Shopify, you need the frontend. So learn HTML CSS JavaScript, React which Shopify uses and then ruby on rails. Then hop onto the Shopify documentation to learn liquid.
Thank you very much.
Although I am based in Canada, I will try and confirm the marketability of django here, cos I started out with python and I am very proficient with python, and learning django has been a much easier thing than Javascript.
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:40am On Jan 24, 2021
GuyInTheMirror:

Thank you very much.
Although I am based in Canada, I will try and confirm the marketability of django here, cos I started out with python and I am very proficient with python, and learning django has been a much easier thing than Javascript.
If you are in Canada you can learn anything o even rust sef. Your reality is absolutely different from someone in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by Naijatask: 12:44am On Jan 25, 2021
GuyInTheMirror:

Thank you very much.

If you are in Canada, i advice you to go for a good bootcamp out there.
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by directonpc(m): 3:33am On Jan 25, 2021
Good topic, good discussion.

If you are a Junior PHP Developer and would like some remote mentorship by completing real tasks I can help.

I am the creator of the online forum here: http:///pnaija
I built the site a long time ago from scratch using PHP. PNaija has had better days than recent times and I will like to mentor some juniors with the possibility of a paid role/stipends while we extend PNaija.

I have attached a screenshot of the site.

Cheers!!!!!!

Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by Sososo(f): 10:14pm On Jan 25, 2021
great info. thanks
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by Antanananovic: 3:58pm On Mar 16, 2021
@tensazangetsu20

Thanks for this information. give me pointers to tools and resources that will benefit me to learn WordPress. everything I know about HTML & CSS, I learnt from Sololearn. I lack the real experience of applying the knowledge.

Reply as soon as you see this.
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:00pm On Mar 16, 2021
Antanananovic:
@tensazangetsu20

Thanks for this information. give me pointers to tools and resources that will benefit me to learn WordPress. everything I know about HTML & CSS, I learnt from Sololearn. I lack the real experience of applying the knowledge.

Reply as soon as you see this.
You have to learn JavaScript, react and PHP before you jump into wordpress

1 Like

Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by Antanananovic: 4:07pm On Mar 16, 2021
@tensazangetsu20
Thanks for the quick reply bro. What are the best resources either video or PDF that can tutor me well?
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:09pm On Mar 16, 2021
Antanananovic:
@tensazangetsu20
Thanks for the quick reply bro. What are the best resources either video or PDF that can tutor me well?
Any udemy course will do or documentation just practice what you have learnt by building real world projects.
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by Antanananovic: 4:15pm On Mar 16, 2021
@tensazangetsu20
Thanks again. I will do some digging for materials that support inductive learning for the three areas you mentioned.

I will get back to you later.

Thanks.
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by Saverin: 4:58am On Jan 03, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
I posted this topic earlier but it got removed by the anti spam bot.

A lot of people are learning to code and why not. It's the best Industry to get into right now. Aside a ton of jobs, there's also a lot of ways to make side income as a developer. It's an amazing skill set to have that can produce a ton of value both for an individual and for the general society at large.

However, a lot of people aren't getting jobs easily especially junior developers. The Industry is very brutal to beginners so if you are a beginner you want to be strategic in your learning and what kind of jobs you apply to. Your goal at the beginning is to get into the game and start getting paid.

This list doesn't apply to you if you love the latest tools and frameworks. This list also doesn't apply to you if you love deep computer science fundamentals. If you do go learn some C++, master all relevant data structures and algorithms and go work at Google and build out tools for we mere mortal programmers. For the rest of us who are coding to get a job and make some bread fast then this list Is for you.

1. Wordpress theme: WordPress powers up 32 percent of the internet and is not going anyway anytime soon. Everyday millions of wordpress websites are launched on the internet and it's the go to technology for marketing agencies. Knowing how to build custom WordPress themes would easily enable you get jobs as a developer in a marketing agency as they are always getting big time custom jobs and not a lot of people know how to do this presently. If you are the type that hates PHP, be aware that you can build a wordpress theme with React and Gatsby using the Gatsby source wordpress experimental plugin.

2. Wordpress plugins: what better way to validate your knowledge as a full stack developer than a wordpress plugin? This shows that you can build a whole useful application on your end. An amazing thing to have on your portfolio. As a developer that works with wordpress a lot of your job will be extending functionalities to current plugins and building new ones and this project let's your potential employer see that you can do just that.

3. Shopify theme: Shopify is the second largest e commerce platform in the world. It's the go to platform for small businesses with regards to e commerce. Shopify developers are Increasingly in demand in agencies worldwide. It's not taught anywhere so if you want to learn this technology get ready to grind it out on the Shopify documentation. Knowing to build out your own Shopify themes set you ahead of the pack in regards to Shopify developer jobs.

4. Shopify application: same reason as wordpress.

5. Magento theme: Magento is the world's largest e commerce platform. It's used by medium sized to really big businesses. It's a very complicated platform and due to its complexity most jobs require that you are Magento certified. According to Magento, we have just two certified Magento developers in Nigeria. What better way to prove your competence in a complex platform if you aren't certified by showing off a theme you made in that platform.

Bonus

Real estate or e commerce platform with laravel. If you are a junior developer that went one-step further to learn laravel then you might consider building an application of this sort with it. I usually don't advice people to learn laravel even though it's based on PHP and beautiful to use. It's the most popular backend framework and a junior would be competing with a senior for a lot of jobs. However, a complex project in laravel would get you interview calls and you never know when one of those interviews would turn into an opportunity.

You don't have to go out and build really complex projects. You would burn out. For the wordpress theme you could take a really basic blog, style it and make it beautiful and responsive across all devices. For an application you could take an external API and build something in wordpress with it. For instance you could use the paystacks API to build out an application to check if account numbers entered into a system are valid or not.

Once you have all your projects ready. Get your resume done and begin to apply to jobs like a mad man. It's relatively easy to get jobs in these technologies even remotely as absolutely no one I repeat no one wants to work with them.
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by LikeAking: 1:07pm On Jan 03, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

A lot of people are learning to code and why not. It's the best Industry to get into right now. Aside a ton of jobs, there's also a lot of ways to make side income as a developer. It's an amazing skill set to have that can produce a ton of value both for an individual and for the general society at large.

However, a lot of people aren't getting jobs easily especially junior developers. The Industry is very brutal to beginners so if you are a beginner you want to be strategic in your learning and what kind of jobs you apply to. Your goal at the beginning is to get into the game and start getting paid.

This list doesn't apply to you if you love the latest tools and frameworks. This list also doesn't apply to you if you love deep computer science fundamentals. If you do go learn some C++, master all relevant data structures and algorithms and go work at Google and build out tools for we mere mortal programmers. For the rest of us who are coding to get a job and make some bread fast then this list Is for you.

1. Wordpress theme: WordPress powers up 32 percent of the internet and is not going anyway anytime soon. Everyday millions of wordpress websites are launched on the internet and it's the go to technology for marketing agencies. Knowing how to build custom WordPress themes would easily enable you get jobs as a developer in a marketing agency as they are always getting big time custom jobs and not a lot of people know how to do this presently. If you are the type that hates PHP, be aware that you can build a wordpress theme with React and Gatsby using the Gatsby source wordpress experimental plugin.

2. Wordpress plugins: what better way to validate your knowledge as a full stack developer than a wordpress plugin? This shows that you can build a whole useful application on your end. An amazing thing to have on your portfolio. As a developer that works with wordpress a lot of your job will be extending functionalities to current plugins and building new ones and this project let's your potential employer see that you can do just that.

3. Shopify theme: Shopify is the second largest e commerce platform in the world. It's the go to platform for small businesses with regards to e commerce. Shopify developers are Increasingly in demand in agencies worldwide. It's not taught anywhere so if you want to learn this technology get ready to grind it out on the Shopify documentation. Knowing to build out your own Shopify themes set you ahead of the pack in regards to Shopify developer jobs.

5. Magento theme: Magento is the world's largest e commerce platform. It's used by medium sized to really big businesses. It's a very complicated platform and due to its complexity most jobs require that you are Magento certified. According to Magento, we have just two certified Magento developers in Nigeria. What better way to prove your competence in a complex platform if you aren't certified by showing off a theme you made in that platform.

Bonus

Real estate or e commerce platform with laravel. If you are a junior developer that went one-step further to learn laravel then you might consider building an application of this sort with it. I usually don't advice people to learn laravel even though it's based on PHP and beautiful to use. It's the most popular backend framework and a junior would be competing with a senior for a lot of jobs. However, a complex project in laravel would get you interview calls and you never know when one of those interviews would turn into an opportunity.

You don't have to go out and build really complex projects. You would burn out. For the wordpress theme you could take a really basic blog, style it and make it beautiful and responsive across all devices. For an application you could take an external API and build something in wordpress with it. For instance you could use the paystacks API to build out an application to check if account numbers entered into a system are valid or not.

Once you have all your projects ready. Get your resume done and begin to apply to jobs like a mad man. It's relatively easy to get jobs in these technologies even remotely as absolutely no one I repeat no one wants to work with them.

Tech too get plenty do this and that..
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by qtguru(m): 1:09pm On Jan 03, 2023
LikeAking:

Tech too get plenty do this and that..

Nothing good comes easy

1 Like

Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by Charjo: 1:00am On Jan 19, 2023
Pls sir I want to ask you few questions pls
Do you mind me texting you on WhatsApp
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by OlawaleBammie: 7:57pm On Jan 19, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Bonus

Baba good evening sir..pls I need a piece of advice from u sir and it has to do with my life.

I am working here and my pay is good but I want to change career.

Lately I have bn undergoing software development coaching in one of the online bootcamp and as we all know, one need to go into internship to be able to get used to a real first hand experience of this tin..

Now I which to move abroad on a study route and my preferred destination is Canada(tho this may change), and I won't to get a degree in software engineering over there.
So I have bn thinking sir, is it possible for me to land a internship program when I get there.

(I mean my internship will be my job over there)
Re: 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast by deraCoder: 4:36am On Jan 20, 2023
Weighing in on the matter,
Learning CMS is good and profitable. Knowing how to create themes and plug-ins is great.
But someone with React and Node skills(for example) can build anything besides shopping app or e-commerce sites. He is very valuable as compared to the one with only CMS skills. This is because he can make custom web apps. He can easily extend the functionality and add things that make your site stand out.
He can implement various algorithms and libraries to make sites very much optimized and efficient, since he's more technically grounded than his CMS counterpart.

Talking about the learning curve, CMS may take you lesser time than the learning React and Node or any other framework and language, but that's only normal since you will be more versatile with React skills than CMS skills.

Learning React or any other framework or language will make you more valuable as you can work in different companies.
If you check job openings, you will more than likely see jobs for these languages and framework as compared to WordPress. Even web development companies hire React/Angular/Vue developers because they make sites that are tailored to the customer's needs. This is because most small sites look alike since they are built with WordPress.

Again, take nothing away from CMS. If you want to learn it, go ahead.
But if you want to be extensible as a developer, you should learn languages and frameworks.

Peace.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need A Good Hacker / Sorting Out A Simple Text Dictionary With PHP / Online Banking Source Code In PHP, MSQL

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.