Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,586 members, 7,955,160 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:19 PM

Opinion: My Take On Suicide - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Opinion: My Take On Suicide (355 Views)

Breaking: Bomb Explodes On Suicide Bomber’s Body In Ebonyi (graphics) / Bomb Explodes On "Suicide" Bomber’s Body In Ebonyi / White Cop Charged With Murdering George Floyd ‘placed On Suicide Watch'. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Opinion: My Take On Suicide by aguele(m): 4:02pm On Jan 17, 2021
By: Martins Itua

The first time I heard about suicide was when I was child. A young man had jumped into a well and killed himself because he had erectile dysfunction. I think he was born that way.

On April 30, 1945, Adolf Hitler committed suicide along with his wife. Of course, he knew that the Russians will decapitate him. So he wanted to avoid the embarrassment and killed himself. In fact, he ordered his body to be burnt so nobody finds him.

Are there cases where suicide is justifiable? Can a really sick person ask to get killed. Is euthanasia a good thing? Should we allow someone to suffer continously even when there's no hope of recovery? I found that there are some things that are worse than death.

Some people argue that suicide is applying a permanent solution for a temporary situation. While that may be true, it doesn't always apply. Many people in Hitler's shoes will commit suicide. He knew that he had come to the end of the road. In fact, several thousands of people in Germany also committed suicide as they couldn't envision a Germany without Adolf Hitler.

So is suicide a good thing? I can't say for sure. I do know that many cultures are against it. The Roman Catholic church won't give you final blessings if you committed suicide. Many societies are against it. But fact is that all through history, many people have ended their lives when they couldn't see any reason to continue.

Killing oneself cannot be easy. It would take a lot of convincing that there's absolutely no other way or no way out. Sometimes, suicide can look like the only way out.

Yes, I know that its difficult to discuss suicide intentions with someone. But there might just be a way out. There's probably a possibility you've not seen. This may not be the end of the road. Sometimes, sharing your pain with someone who understands might help. Being alone and dealing with issues alone is a horrible thing. Find help. Go out. Talk to a close friend or even a stranger.

Many problems have solutions. And I will completely understand if your case is as bad as Adolf Hitler's. He absolutely had no way out. And in any case, his suicide was a blessing to the world because it brought an end to the war.

But don't kill yourself due to a failed relationship. Don't kill yourself because of debt. Don't kill yourself because of impotence. Don't kill yourself because life is hard.

And yes I understand that not all problems have solutions and suicide can seem like the only option.

(1) (Reply)

Fulani Herdsmen Chased Travelers Off The Road / Nigeria Serial Killer / The Doctor Of Thieves

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.