Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,366 members, 7,819,317 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:19 PM

Tomato Processing For Storage - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Tomato Processing For Storage (1289 Views)

Tomato Puree Recipe: How To Make Tomato/pepper Puree Without Using Water / Nigerian Yam Porridge Without Palm Oil: How Make Yam Porridge In Tomato Sauce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tomato Processing For Storage by BenkingEng(m): 3:33pm On Jan 18, 2021
Hello ladies and gentlemen in the house! This is a thread to teach you guys how me and my family process fresh tomatoes into bottle storage.
Tomatoes is usually cheap during January - March especially in the north. You can get a basket ranging from ₦2,000 to ₦3,000 depends on how you price.
This has been an age long tradition in my family since we were infants and growing up the knowledge has been part of us, so I decided to share with my fellow Nigerians the processes involved in 'BOTTLE STORAGE' rather than drying them.
So let's go!!!!
The items needed for this process includes:
1. Fresh Tomatoes
2. Fresh pepper
3. Chilli (known as shombo)

We are go to take this thread step by step, so grab your pen and paper and follow me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tomato Processing For Storage by BenkingEng(m): 3:34pm On Jan 18, 2021
So this is the tomatoes we want to process. We are using two basket.

Re: Tomato Processing For Storage by BenkingEng(m): 3:35pm On Jan 18, 2021
Secondly; wash the tomatoes and boil them

Re: Tomato Processing For Storage by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jan 18, 2021
Following
Re: Tomato Processing For Storage by TANID(m): 4:07pm On Jan 18, 2021
BenkingEng:
Hello ladies and gentlemen in the house! This is a thread to teach you guys how me and my family process fresh tomatoes into bottle storage.
Tomatoes is usually cheap during January - March especially in the north. You can get a basket ranging from ₦2,000 to ₦3,000 depends on how you price.
This has been an age long tradition in my family since we were infants and growing up the knowledge has been part of us, so I decided to share with my fellow Nigerians the processes involved in 'BOTTLE STORAGE' rather than drying them.
So let's go!!!!
The items needed for this process includes:
1. Fresh Tomatoes
2. Fresh pepper
3. Chilli (known as shombo)

We are go to take this thread step by step, so grab your pen and paper and follow me.
OK
Re: Tomato Processing For Storage by BenkingEng(m): 4:20pm On Jan 18, 2021
We're moving!!!
Next is to sieve the boiled tomatoes.
You can use a sieving bag to do it or better still a bag of rice as I did.

Re: Tomato Processing For Storage by longetivity(m): 4:26pm On Jan 18, 2021
I love tomatoes
Re: Tomato Processing For Storage by BenkingEng(m): 4:36pm On Jan 18, 2021
Tomorrow I'll update you guys on the next process
Re: Tomato Processing For Storage by peacealways: 12:33am On Jan 19, 2021
ok
Re: Tomato Processing For Storage by BenkingEng(m): 6:30pm On Jan 19, 2021
Hello guys, so updating as promised.
The next step is to grind the tomatoes along with chilli pepper and fresh pepper.

Re: Tomato Processing For Storage by BenkingEng(m): 6:43pm On Jan 19, 2021
So after grinding, the next step is to boil the mixture again to dry the water

Re: Tomato Processing For Storage by BenkingEng(m): 6:45pm On Jan 19, 2021
The mixture is on fire

1 Like

Re: Tomato Processing For Storage by BenkingEng(m): 6:47pm On Jan 19, 2021
This are the bottles we will be using, the best bottles to use are those salad cream bottles with iron cork.

Re: Tomato Processing For Storage by BenkingEng(m): 9:58am On Jan 20, 2021
Update!!!
So the tomatoes mixture have been packed into the bottles and it is then placed on fire for about 4 - 5 hours.
Note: let the initial water be half of the pot. Don't add water again after the initial one is boiling, if you do, it will crack the bottles because they're already hot and it they cool suddenly, it will crack the bottles.

Re: Tomato Processing For Storage by BenkingEng(m): 10:05am On Jan 20, 2021
This is the final product, very nice and fresh and can last for more than a year. Make sure you use iron cork bottles.
Feel free to contact if you have more questions.

Re: Tomato Processing For Storage by kinah(f): 2:37pm On Jan 20, 2021
BenkingEng:
Update!!!
Note: let the initial water be half of the pot. Don't add water again after the initial one is boiling, if you do, it will crack the bottles because they're already hot and it they cool suddenly, it will crack the bottles.

Don't understand this part
Re: Tomato Processing For Storage by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jan 20, 2021
kinah:

Don't understand this part

I think he's trying to say; you should put the bottles inside the pot, then put water in the pot to half the pot and boil. Don't add another water when it starts boiling.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Processing For Storage by BenkingEng(m): 8:10am On Jan 21, 2021
OcVoice:

I think he's trying to say; you should put the bottles inside the pot, then put water in the pot to half the pot and boil. Don't add another water when it starts boiling.

Correct
Re: Tomato Processing For Storage by kinah(f): 10:44am On Jan 21, 2021
BenkingEng:

Correct
OcVoice:

Thanks

Another thing did you sort the tomatoes?
Re: Tomato Processing For Storage by Israel07: 7:36pm On Jan 21, 2021
UTC Tomato available in trucks (220/400) large baskets. Pay on delivery to SS/SW/SE available. 220 baskets #1m 400 Baskets #1.8m Price is negotiable quote me if interested. Restaurant, Eateries, Groceries stores & Hotel owners come let's do business
Re: Tomato Processing For Storage by BenkingEng(m): 2:09pm On Jan 25, 2021
kinah:

Thanks

Another thing did you sort the tomatoes?

Yes, very important, sort the bad ones from the good ones.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Processing For Storage by favelli(m): 11:05pm On Jan 26, 2021
My question is after boiling, sieving and boiling again is there any nutrients left in there? Or do just end up with a paste. My second question you said it can last up to a year? Is that when the lid/cork is not opened at all and is it also dependant on whether we store it in the fridge? Thanks

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Have Ate These Animals / Food You Hate Cooking But Love Eating / Post-dated Beverage Products By Coca-cola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.