Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,610 members, 7,809,234 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:15 AM

Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? (24863 Views)

Fullstack, Backend And Frontend Developers Needed To Join Our Team / Gurus In The House, What Do Backend Developers Do? / Asp.net(.NET Developers) Paid More Than Other Developers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by bdchange(m): 3:09pm On Jan 19, 2021
You must be new to programming to compare frontend complexity to that of back end. We are working on a project in my office and I am handling the frontend why another guy is handling the back end. The back end is using Php, go and partly java to extract data from a database that has more than 200k data. Sometimes he goes days trying to resolve a logic issue. I just use Angular to connect to every apis supplied. I also code in nodeJs so I can tell you back end is more logical than frontend coding.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by CSTRR: 3:11pm On Jan 19, 2021
A front end dev should not stop at front-end.

Move to back-end too before someone will say you are not a real coder.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by DissTroy(m): 3:13pm On Jan 19, 2021
No Nairaland female commented on or is viewing this thread. Backend is good but frontend makes you quick money. I focus more on frontend.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by nosagold(m): 3:19pm On Jan 19, 2021
bdchange:
You must be new to programming to compare frontend complexity to that of back end. We are working on a project in my office and I am handling the frontend why another guy is handling the back end. The back end is using Php, go and partly java to extract data from a database that has more than 200k data. Sometimes he goes days trying to resolve a logic issue. I just use Angular to connect to every apis supplied. I also code in nodeJs so I can tell you back end is more logical than frontend coding.

Bros na shovel you dey use fetch the data? LOL! I get your point though. You’re talking about the scalability of the application.

Backend is purely logical, but if you’re a good front end developer, you will need a large amount of logic and skill when building and structuring a large application. Technologies like jwt, caching etc. are also done on the frontend
Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by trigar12(m): 3:20pm On Jan 19, 2021
Tats:

This your example get as e be angry
certainly not a good example. More like the Back end developers cook the food and the front end developers dish it our in a presentable way. grin

Naah, back end dish the food and serve it ... While front end deals with setting up the whole event centre in entirety.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by trigar12(m): 3:22pm On Jan 19, 2021
SweetVibe:

You failed here

An event planner should be more liken to the API

Front-end is simply the outlook (appearance)

Appearance is not simply, frontend is much more complex than backend.
Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by Vaughnable(m): 3:24pm On Jan 19, 2021
airsaylongcome:
Backend captures the entire business logic. It's like asking why a shoemaker earns more than a shoe shiner (cobbler)

It just like a relay race
The last man takes the glory...
Same issue at my office
Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by Angelawhite(m): 3:31pm On Jan 19, 2021
jpmoriarti:
I wonder what's on frontend that someone will want to compare it with Backend shocked

Writing APIs are where the magic happens.

I’m a full stack developer and I’ll tell you though I enjoy fronted more, it a bit tougher.

Most backend codes are re-usable across several other projects. You can’t say the same for Front end. User interfaces look different and some UI have crazy designs and effects that you have to implement from scratch

I can write a full bank end application in a single day - but I can’t build a front end with all the pages in a single day

Moreover, it’s a fallacy that backend developers earn higher

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by Donpenny(m): 3:32pm On Jan 19, 2021
Backend developer are just like your account officers in your bank, they are entrusted with secret details of clients that will visit the site after development because they are the one that built the database and other saver related storage for storing and retrieving of data. So I believe they are been paid well for their trust
Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by eaimiesylv(m): 3:37pm On Jan 19, 2021
Front end is beyond data presentation or simply designing of nice interface. Font end can be complex if for example it has to process data from an api, renders it and send it back to the api or another api. That does not mean it is difficult or more easier. The complexity depends on the project at hand and where the business logic lies. Why some may claim it is wrong for the business logic to be handle by the front end, I doubt if there is any professional reason why it should not because there are times where you don't even have access to the server at the first instance

1 Like

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by Angelawhite(m): 3:39pm On Jan 19, 2021
post=98220234:
This is another way we make some cool stuffs online @[/b],
To answer your question....
[b]Backend programmers are paid more simply because they handle way more.
Frontend deals with only a few aspects of development: CSS, HTML, and JS.

And more about Front end web development is a good job for those interested or into it.
[s]Front-end web development is an exciting career because it's always evolving and constantly changing.
This means you will always have the opportunity to interact with new tools and learn new skills,
keeping you engaged in your career.
It's a field that provides many opportunities for hands-on learning.
You can never go wrong in it.[/s]

Coming from the people that have been there, done that.

This is how to know simps and asss lickers. They copy articles online out of context just to have N “opinion”

If I didn’t think you’re a simp, I wouldn’t have thought to search

10 Likes

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by Angelawhite(m): 3:43pm On Jan 19, 2021
Donpre:
Only someone who hasn't done backend development will say frontend is harder

Design database models and relations
Authentication
Security
Errors handling
Validation
Business logic
Request handling so server doesn't shutdown under heavy load
Real-time data with socket-io and websockets

This is like the basics of backend.... I've seen people write about things that leave me bewildered; Monolithic and microservices and other things that's just complex.

Isn't frontend just JS, CSS and HTML/JSX.... UI designers even do the designs, and plus a ton of CSS and JS frameworks

Not to start a war but have you really done backend seriously before?

I’m a full stack developer and I’ll tell you though I enjoy fronted more, it a bit tougher.

Most backend codes are re-usable across several other projects. You can’t say the same for Front end. User interfaces look different and some UI have crazy designs and effects that you have to implement from scratch

I can write a full bank end application in a single day - but I can’t build a front end with all the pages in a single day

1 Like

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by Godmann(m): 3:46pm On Jan 19, 2021
Angelawhite:

Hmmmmm. Clap for yourself.

You just showed the little you know
Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by nairalanduser23: 3:49pm On Jan 19, 2021
Godmann:

Tell us what you know Sir
Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by Angelawhite(m): 3:51pm On Jan 19, 2021
Godmann:

One thing peculiar about real programmers is that they are always logical and it also reflects in their arguments and debates. I can’t say same for you. I don’t know what I’m supposed to do with “clap for yourself “

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by Angelawhite(m): 3:52pm On Jan 19, 2021
nairalanduser23:

Tell us what you know Sir

lol. He has nothing to say
Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by darlous(m): 4:05pm On Jan 19, 2021
chingle5:
I still don't understand why backend developers are been paid more than frontend developers even though frontend development is harder than backend development I just don't get it..... undecided

Simply because you don't know all that is involved in back-end...

Most backend guys can handle frontend but how many frontend guys can handle back-end. An expert back-end developer knows frontend and understands what it entails. Why won't they be paid more.
Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by 30naira: 4:05pm On Jan 19, 2021
chingle5:

Which one is backend capturing the entire business logic...... In fact that your example is actually the reverse u backend developers are actually the shoe shiner and we the frontend developers are the shoemaker coz we create the product while u people just come from nowhere to just come and be updating one yeye database and throwing request from one place to another place base on CRUD in fact u guys are the shoe shiner angry

The CRUD operation is the entire reason for the product, not the fancy elements you drop on the screen

1 Like

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by JJOF(m): 4:25pm On Jan 19, 2021
BUSHHUNTER:
backned devz are more like soldiers in signal and intelligence room during war while frontend progz are infantry/foot soilders in warfront!

You can't win the war without intelligence.
LOL and you had to put a pics of a soldier
Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by nairalanduser23: 4:26pm On Jan 19, 2021
An inexperienced front-end developer will likely downplay the complexity of front-end development. So much logic happens on the frontend these days, you can even abstract the backend with Firebase or some other platform. Front-end is also beyond web interface, it includes mobile app development and desktop frontend too.
Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by blissbliss: 4:30pm On Jan 19, 2021
One thing I’ve come to realize is there’s no easy job anywhere.

There’re limited front end developers and as such are well paid.

For backend, just think of how a system like inter switch or Paystack runs. You’d know there’s actually more to backend.

So, both are not easy.

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by Karleb(m): 4:39pm On Jan 19, 2021
Angelawhite:

You say what?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by Sprumbaba: 4:41pm On Jan 19, 2021
chingle5:

Oga we know already know people like u

This your CSS questions na advance. As I good reach I will answer 85%.
Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by Angelawhite(m): 4:51pm On Jan 19, 2021
Karleb:

You say what?

Lol. You heard me right.

If you’ve written codes long enough, you’ll see that a lot of them are repetitive. For example I have classes that perform simple CRUD operations, authentication, etc. More often than not, all I do is to change the models/schema and do a little tweaks here and there to match use cases.

I have a custom library I built that I install which comes with the boilerplates. I can’t remember the last time I wrote a backend application from scratch

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by nengiscrib: 4:51pm On Jan 19, 2021
Programming can be complex for both backend and frontend engineers, depending on the task and hand.
One can say in the general backend is more complex, but in specific I beg to differ that both can be as complex as anything

let me use my self as an example

I am a backend developer (currently) but I've worked professionally with frontend, and some javascript frameworks, React, Vue (just checked it out to see what it was about, it was excellent though), and Angular js to be exact. Using react I worked with Redux for state management.

Back to my job as a backend engineer
I had to work on a locker system to be connected to our application, where some of our clients that make use of such lockers would be able to access their locker in order to perform some of these operations (open, lock, add a pin, assign users, share a pin, etc)

The locker system makes use of OAUTH2, when access with client id and secret, returns an access token and refresh token. The refresh token is valid for 30 days, after which the entire authentication must be repeated.

I needed to implement these things and think, stored some frequent data in Redis.
The necessary API's needed by the frontend guys were provided by me
Because of the way our architecture is. The user must be passed from another repository to the current app being used
So I had to implement this.

lock
unlock
assign
etc
and the various errors and error codes were added to the documentation to ease usability

The frontend guys using Vue js needed to consume these API's design the mock-up created by the UI team and add the functionality

In this instance, I would say the frontend task was easier than mine.

** WHERE FRONT END BECOMES SOMETHING ELSE **

I saw what the frontend engineers were working on, where they had to build a map, very similar to how Google Earth works
I was surprised how they did that, it was quite clear from everyone that a ton of work was put into that.

When searching for where your colleague is, you could actually pinpoint the person's location and zoom from the sky to the building the person was on.
Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by Karleb(m): 4:58pm On Jan 19, 2021
Angelawhite:

Lol. You heard me right.

If you’ve written codes long enough, you’ll see that a lot of them are repetitive. For example I have classes that perform simple CRUD operations, authentication, etc. More often than not, all I do is to change the models/schema and do a little tweaks here and there to match use cases.

I have a custom library I built that I install which comes with the boilerplates. I can’t remember the last time I wrote a backend application from scratch

Give me an example of a full backend you can build in a day.

Even though I believe backend is harder, I'd never say one can build a full front-end in a day.

If it were that easy, programmers wouldn't be getting jobs since guys like you can build it in a day.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Backend Developers Paid More Than Frontend Developers? by pooozeee(m): 5:10pm On Jan 19, 2021

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Without Using Pow Function In C / Web Developers / Freelaancers: How Are You Getting Paid From Outside Nigeria? / Could Lagos, Nigeria Be The Next Silicon Valley? - American Media

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.