Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:52 AM

Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies (25079 Views)

Mele Kyari, NNPC MD, Not Fired / Remi Tinubu Was Not in Tinubus Meeting With CBN Governor & NNPC MD (Pics,video ) / Helen Eniola-Bello Is Dead! Wife Of Eniola Bello, This Day MD Dies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by naptu2: 7:37am On Jan 19, 2021
The First Managing Director Of The NNPC, Chief Festus Marinho, Is Dead.

Chief Dr Sir Festus Marinho has died at the age of 87. He served as the managing director of the NNPC from 1977 to 1979 and also served a second term from 1984 to 1985.

Born on December 30, 1934 in Ijebu-Ode, Marinho had his childhood in the “Brazilian Quarters” of Lagos Island and attended St. Gregory’s College Obalende, Lagos. He matriculated into the then University College, Ibadan in 1956, became a ’College Scholar’ in 1957 and graduated with Bachelor of Science (Special Honours) in Physics of the University of London in 1960.

Upon joining the public service as the nation’s second Oil Technologist-in-Training, ever, he proceeded to the Imperial College, London for post-graduate studies in Petroleum Reservoir Engineering from 1960-61. Rising through the ranks in the emerging Petroleum Resources Ministry, Marinho was appointed Managing Director of the NNPC at its inauguration on April 1, 1977.

Among the phenomenal achievements he fostered in the petroleum industry, it is recorded that he positioned the NNPC towards the realisation of government policies at a time when government was run with some sense of nationalism. He was also said to have been at the forefront in the drafting of some of the crucial petroleum laws and regulations.

Concerning infrastructural management, he was instrumental in the setting up of three refineries, with accompanying networks of nationwide crude and product pipelines and petroleum storage depots, within a decade. His patriotic zeal was made evident when he pursued a Nigerianisation agenda that saw the influx of independent indigenous marketers into the erstwhile multinational-dominated products market, the domestication of technical expertise in the industry, and the aggressive commercial expansion of Nigeria’s natural gas into a success story. What would have been a dark cloud overshadowing an enviable career was the N2.8 billion missing oil revenue, otherwise dubbed the ‘oil-gate saga’. But Marinho was vindicated and re-instated for the second time as Managing Director when the Justice Irikefe Judicial Tribunal of Inquiry, upon painstaking investigation, declared the ‘oil-gate’ a hoax.

Chief Marinho once joked that he was the only person in Nigeria that was retired twice. He said, “On the day of my dismissal, the Federal Government sent me a letter of retirement. The following year, the Minister also sent me another letter of retirement. So apparently, I’m the only one in Nigeria who was retired twice,” he said.

On retiring from public service, Marinho, who is a recipient of many traditional chieftaincy titles, professional and religious awards including the papal knighthood of St. Sylvester, served in various capacities in the oil and gas industry, including as chairman of Lekoil Limited.

May his soul rest in peace.

Picture 2) Chief Festus Marinho looking at his potrait among the portraits of other former managing directors of the NNPC.

Picture 3) Chief Festus Marinho and another former MD of the NNPC, Dr Maikanti Baru.

Pictures by the NNPC.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by Racoon(m): 7:43am On Jan 19, 2021
...Nasir el Rufai, has said Nigeria must do away with its “corrupt” oil company, the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, or stand the risk of itself being destroyed.“If you don’t kill the NNPC, it will kill Nigeria,”

Mr. El-Rufai said the NNPC has become so entrenched in corruption that the only way out for Nigeria is not to attempt to salvage the corporation, but to destroy it and create a new oil company.He said he hoped President Muhammadu Buhari will implement that proposal.

He said NNPC has become so corrupt and arrogant that it runs a parallel government and unilaterally decides what it remits to a nation of 170 million people, while its hundreds of employees feed fat on Nigeria’s resources.
https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/186622-nigeria-must-kill-nnpc-el-rufai.html
The chronicle of those who managed the most corrupt government-controlled agency ever seen in the annals of this nation.NNPC autonomy have made it translate to a cesspool of putrifying corruption with each successive government.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by naptu2: 7:49am On Jan 19, 2021
Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by Queenlovely(f): 7:54am On Jan 19, 2021
one of the PROBLEM is gone, only to be replaced by another

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by TheStakeHolder(m): 7:55am On Jan 19, 2021
R I P Chief Dr Sir Festus Marinho

5 Likes

Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by Nobody: 7:56am On Jan 19, 2021
MOURINHO rest in peace

2 Likes

Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by nairavsdollars(f): 8:01am On Jan 19, 2021
The man putting on the cap and the man placing it on his head are gone. This life

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by osamz007: 8:05am On Jan 19, 2021
Queenlovely:

SHUT UP NO BE EVERYBODY BAD

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by adadike(f): 8:11am On Jan 19, 2021
You lived long sir. I only hope you were at peace with your maker that will guarantee you another wonderful life in paradise. Rest well sir and good night

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by decatalyst(m): 8:39am On Jan 19, 2021
Queenlovely:

If replaced with you, then we have an humongous problem.

Your wahala is going to be terrible than bicycle.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by Anto2001(m): 9:14am On Jan 19, 2021
Please I need 1k urgently. Tanks . God bless u pls Nairalanders. To eat at least. Please I'm begging.
Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by ChiefS(m): 9:48am On Jan 19, 2021
Queenlovely:
I don't know him but think in his time things were much better and corruption was minimal. He built refineries that served the nation for decades before the current era of importation. Petrol was less that 50kobo per litre.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by juman(m): 10:30am On Jan 19, 2021
Generation of people that failed Nigerian.
Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by yamunla(m): 10:33am On Jan 19, 2021
his brother is the father of Jose mourinho

1 Like

Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by orisa37: 12:09pm On Jan 19, 2021
THAT WAS A NIGERIAN. MAY HIS SOUL REST IN PEACE.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by aribisala0(m): 12:12pm On Jan 19, 2021
$2.8 billion
Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by orisa37: 12:14pm On Jan 19, 2021
Queenlovely:

What Problem did he constitute in NIGERIA?

1 Like

Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by orisa37: 12:16pm On Jan 19, 2021
Queenlovely:

What Problem did he constitute in NIGERIA? At least, he was worth more than a thousand MACBANS.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by GamalNasser: 12:21pm On Jan 19, 2021
Nice name
Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by naptu2: 7:08pm On Jan 20, 2021
Kyari Mourns Festus Marinho, Pioneer MD of NNPC

…Says His Achievements Will Be Beacon of Inspiration for Generations 

The Group Managing Director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Mallam Mele Kyari, has lamented the death of the pioneer Managing Director of the Corporation, Chief Festus Remi Ayodele Marinho.

A press release by the Group General Manager, Group Public Affairs Division, Dr. Kennie Obateru, stated that Chief Marinho, who passed away yesterday, was the first and only Managing Director of the defunct Nigerian National Oil Corporation (NNOC) - the forerunner of NNPC - and the only one who served twice as Group Managing Director of NNPC having served from 1977-1979 and 1984-1985 respectively. His last appointment was made by President Muhammadu Buhari as Head of State.

In a condolence message to the family of the late NNPC boss, Mallam Kyari described Chief Marinho as “the Father of Oil & Gas Industry in Nigeria” because of the pioneering roles he played in the crafting of the institutional framework, infrastructural development and international best practices being used in the Corporation till date.  

“His role in refinery and pipeline construction and human capacity development are all testimonies of his contribution to national development,” Mallam Kyari stated.

He said Chief Marinho’s visionary leadership provided the foundation for what has come to be known as “Nigerian content”, adding that his achievements in the Corporation would be a beacon and inspiration for many future generations of staff and leaders. 

“He was indeed a rare gem and we will surely miss his wisdom and wealth of experience,” the GMD stated.

Dr. Kennie Obateru

Group General Manager

Group Public Affairs Division,

Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation

NNPC Towers, Abuja.

20th January 2020.

https://www.nnpcgroup.com/Pages/kyari-mourns-marinho.aspx

1 Share

Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by Kaypee98(m): 7:28pm On Jan 20, 2021
Festus is dead, unfreakingbelivable

1 Like

Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by slawormiir: 7:28pm On Jan 20, 2021
Damnnn niggarrr
Rest in peace
Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jan 20, 2021
Meaning they will do anything to be on that wall!

I like me here
Hang me there
I'll do anything to chair
Chairman position here not mere
Gracing wall Some here stole
Me too
For my behalf, nails must rape this walls
His face was transmitting too clear
Resonating too,
He smiled, clear throat and said...
"kum kum... incoming chair sir, where will you like your picture hunged?

Sorry jare, the picture is telling me another story ni cry grin

Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by Tonymegabush1(m): 7:29pm On Jan 20, 2021
Rip man
Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by AFONJACOW(m): 7:29pm On Jan 20, 2021
Rip morinho
Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by pascalbenz: 7:30pm On Jan 20, 2021
Rip
Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by Okortor: 7:30pm On Jan 20, 2021
Rip to him.. we live to die as death is inevitable.
I pray may we not die this year in JESUS name AMEN.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by pascalbenz: 7:30pm On Jan 20, 2021
AFONJACOW:
Rip morinho
undecided
Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by Omezif(m): 7:31pm On Jan 20, 2021
God made man to die once after death is judgement!
a righteous person with clean heart will be in heaven.
an unrepented sinner will be in hell.
the question are,
how did you prepare yourself?
how is the level of your relationship with God?
how did you prepare yourself to escape the wrate of GOD on judgement day.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Festus Marinho Is Dead: First NNPC MD Dies by Sonnobax15(m): 7:31pm On Jan 20, 2021
embarassed
If you tell Dem say everything for this life say na vanity,Dem go talk say na lie.....

Unfortunately, heaven and hell wouldn't even care to know if he was the first MD of NNPC or not......
Na the same place where poor man wey die as a shiit packer go dey,na that the same place every rich man wey sit down,die on top A.C go still go....

No V.I.P for after life

Rip.

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PDP Primary: Atiku’s Choice, A Return To Sordid Corruption Era – Lai Mohammed / INEC Working For The PDP – Oshiomhole / Gbajabiamila Came Under Fire For Threatening To Report Service Chiefs To Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.