Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,313 members, 7,811,933 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:04 AM

What Does FPS Mean? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What Does FPS Mean? (1803 Views)

Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? / What Does It Mean For An Iphone To Be Chipped Locked / Top 5 Fps Games For Android Phones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does FPS Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 1:41pm On Jan 20, 2021
Frame rates on smartphones is thrown around these days so casually. You hear about it a lot on smartphones reviews, blogposts, YouTube videos etc. A lot of people sometimes wonder what they mean. If you are reading this right now and you are wondering what it means, then you are not alone.

Our phones today have come a long way. Once they were only seen as business tools meant for making and receiving calls. Now they have exploded and can be anything you want them to be. One of the things we want them be are multimedia devices. Our phones can play video games and movies (animated and non animated).

What we call videos, games and other animation today are simply motion pictures or a series of images that are captured in quick succession. They are then combined and played back also in quick succession in order to simulate motion. This means that in order to make a video, the camera simply takes lots of pictures and combines them together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yeVJO7eGng

Each picture or scene captured is called a frame. A frame is a unit of a video.

There are several definitions of Frame rate depending on the area being addressed;

For the performance of a camera or display
The number of pictures (frames) that a camera can capture/or a display can play back in one second is called a frame rate. It is measured/expressed in a unit called Frames per second (fps).

For gaming
Frame rate can be defined as the rate at which the CPU and GPU can process data and send to the display. It is also measured in fps.

For video
Frame rate in video is defines as the number of still pictures played back per unit time (a second) of video.

Going by the definitions above, frame rates on smartphones simply mean the amount of frames that are pushed to the display within one second. If only one frame (picture) is pushed to the display during a game or video in one second, then that game/video is rated at 1fps. If 20 frames (pictures) is passes through the display in one second, it is rated at 20fps.

Many video games for smartphones max out at 60fps, TVs usually get upt 30fps and movies are shot at 24fps.

The number of FPS that your device can play is usually dependent on your hardware specs (CPU, GPU and RAM) as well as the app or game you are using. PUBG, CoDM and PES2021 for example are set to 30fps by default because that is what a lot of phones can handle. The user can then increase it to 60fps if their phones can handle it. YouTube maxes out at 60fps also.

Why are higher frame rates (fps) important?
Most smartphones today by default support 30fps and most movies and animations on your phone are also maxed out at either 30fps or even less. Most apps today also support 30fps by default.

Where frame rates become important is during gaming especially competitive online gaming like PES2021, PUBG, CoDM, Fortnite, Asphalt, Grid Autosports etc. This is because in such do-or-die games, every frame is important so as to get an edge on your opponent. If I see a frame faster than my opponent, I will act quicker before he even gets a chance to react.

Faster frame rates also means smoother videos and when combined with a high refresh rates makes your phone buttery smooth.

What are Refresh rates: https://www.nairaland.com/6366983/60hz-90hz-120hz-144hz-240hz

It is also important to note that higher fps increases the workloads of the CPU, GPU and RAM which leads to moderate heating and increased battery consumption.

https://inquisitiveuniverse.com/2021/01/20/frame-rate-on-smartphones/

You can find me on Facebook, Instagram and Telegram (I'm more active here). Simply search for Inquisitiveuniverse. You can also click my username for more interesting topics.

As usual, comments, contributions and criticism are highly welcome. You should take a look at my site too. There's plenty of topics to keep you engaged.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does FPS Mean? by The5DME(m): 1:46pm On Jan 20, 2021
nice
Re: What Does FPS Mean? by theFilmtric: 2:00pm On Jan 20, 2021
educative
theFilmtricsay
Re: What Does FPS Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 2:06pm On Jan 20, 2021
The5DME:
nice

Thank you
Re: What Does FPS Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 2:06pm On Jan 20, 2021
theFilmtric:
educative

theFilmtricsay

I'm trying my best lol.
Re: What Does FPS Mean? by theFilmtric: 2:11pm On Jan 20, 2021
atheistandproud:

I'm trying my best lol.
Very good Keep it up
theFilmtricsay
Re: What Does FPS Mean? by chatinent: 2:13pm On Jan 20, 2021
Cool.
Re: What Does FPS Mean? by Degrezhaa: 2:51pm On Jan 20, 2021
I like the way you write.

1 Like

Re: What Does FPS Mean? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jan 20, 2021
theFilmtric:
educative
theFilmtricsay
Transsion ambassador cheesy
Re: What Does FPS Mean? by theFilmtric: 5:19pm On Jan 20, 2021
100trillion:

Transsion ambassador cheesy
I am a free and fair person
theFilmtricsay
Re: What Does FPS Mean? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jan 20, 2021
theFilmtric:
I am a free and fair person
theFilmtricsay
Just like Buhari cheesy
Re: What Does FPS Mean? by theFilmtric: 6:10pm On Jan 20, 2021
100trillion:
Just like Buhari cheesy
suit yourself
theFilmtricsay
Re: What Does FPS Mean? by adesoro80595: 7:12pm On Jan 20, 2021
:
I'm trying my best lol.
Very good
Keep it up
theFilmtricsay
Re: What Does FPS Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 8:16pm On Jan 20, 2021
Degrezhaa:
I like the way you write.

Thanks boss man.
Re: What Does FPS Mean? by goodnewscliff(m): 9:47pm On Jan 20, 2021
Front / first person shooter
Re: What Does FPS Mean? by Adasun(m): 10:40pm On Jan 20, 2021
Thank you
Re: What Does FPS Mean? by EzePromoe: 6:43am On Jan 21, 2021
Thank you atheistandproud for explaining, can you please differentiate between FPS and resolution?
Re: What Does FPS Mean? by Iceyjayz: 7:55am On Jan 21, 2021
Thanks for the info
Re: What Does FPS Mean? by Effulgent(m): 8:40am On Jan 21, 2021
@atheistandproud

What is now the major difference BTW FPS and Refresh rate during game play and what effect do they have on each other
Re: What Does FPS Mean? by Nickshrapnel: 8:49am On Jan 21, 2021
First person shooter came to my mind first cheesy
Re: What Does FPS Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 1:01pm On Jan 21, 2021
EzePromoe:
Thank you atheistandproud for explaining, can you please differentiate between FPS and resolution?

FPS is the amount of frames that your GPU can push to your screen during a game or movie.

Resolution is the amount of pixels that are found on your screen e.g 720p (HD), 1080p (FHD).

https://inquisitiveuniverse.com/2020/12/26/smartphone-display-resolution-explained/
Re: What Does FPS Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 1:07pm On Jan 21, 2021
Effulgent:
@atheistandproud

What is now the major difference BTW FPS and Refresh rate during game play and what effect do they have on each other

This one is supposed to be my next post but I'll tell you anyways.

Just a brief summary.

A game is a virtual or computer generated environment so the GPU is constantly taking snapshots (frames) of that environment with the characters inside and then pushing them to your screen in quick succession.

RR is how fast your screen can decode that information and then display it.

FPS is dependent on your hardware, CPU, GPU, RAM, Storage (SoC)

RR is display dependent.
Re: What Does FPS Mean? by Effulgent(m): 6:45am On Jan 22, 2021
atheistandproud:

This one is supposed to be my next post but I'll tell you anyways.

Just a brief summary.

A game is a virtual or computer generated environment so the GPU is constantly taking snapshots (frames) of that environment with the characters inside and then pushing them to your screen in quick succession.

RR is how fast your screen can decode that information and then display it.

FPS is dependent on your hardware, CPU, GPU, RAM, Storage (SoC)

RR is display dependent.

alright, I get it, but not fully
let me do as if I understand it all. cheesy

I will. wait for the your next post so I can grab it well
Re: What Does FPS Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 3:35pm On Jan 22, 2021
Effulgent:

alright, I get it, but not fully
let me do as if I understand it all. cheesy

I will. wait for the your next post so I can grab it well

No p boss
Re: What Does FPS Mean? by Cosmicstranger(m): 7:51pm On Jan 22, 2021
nice info

(1) (Reply)

Clean Xiaomi Redmi 9c For Sale / Which One Should I Buy Samsung Galaxy A53 Or Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus / How Do I Crack My Wifi To Universal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.