Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,008 members, 7,956,745 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 06:00 PM

Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution (16459 Views)

Adegboruwa: Wike Has No Legal Authority To Confiscate Citizens Properties / Adegboruwa: Buhari’s Speech Filled With Confusion, Curfew Can’t Work In Lagos / Suspension Of NBET DG Illegal – Presidency Source (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by valentineuwakwe(m): 3:47pm On Jan 20, 2021
A Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Mr Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa, has faulted the presidency’s opposition to the vacation order given to herdsmen in Ondo State by Governor Rotimi Akeredolu.

The PUNCH reports that Akeredolu had asked herdsmen to leave the state’s forest reserves within seven days.

Apart from ejecting the herdsmen, Akeredolu also banned under-aged grazing, night grazing, movement of cattle within the cities and highways.

But the presidency in a statement on Tuesday by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, said Akeredolu lacked the power to unilaterally sack herdsmen from Ondo forests.

Reacting in an interview with The PUNCH, the senior advocate said the presidency misinterpreted sections of the constitution.

Adegboruwa said, “I salute the courage of the governor. He displayed rare statesmanship and courage. I think it is a lesson for all governors to take hold of their territory and safeguard the lives and properties of people.

While it is herdsmen in the South, it is foreigners in the North. All of us are suffering.
I backed the governor 100 per cent because the constitution, in Section 14: 2, makes the security and welfare of the people the primary essence of governance. Any governor that cannot guarantee the lives and properties of the people does not deserve to be in office.

The constitution that the presidency is referring to is being misconceived and misinterpreted. Section 43 which grants people the right to own properties anywhere in Nigeria, cannot be construed as taking other people’s properties.

Your right to acquire properties is that you acquire according to law and follow due process. When you get to a forest, it rather belongs to an individual, a community, or government. So, if you want to come to occupy a forest as a stranger, you must obtain the consent of any of the owers. You are a trespasser and any of them can activate a process to forfeit your trespass. This is what the governor has done by giving notice.

“What the law requires is seven days to forfeit the occupation of a place occupied illegally. It is the presidency that is not conversant with the laws of our land, not Akeredolu.

“Section 44 of our constitution is against the compulsory takeover of lands. Let the presidency read the constitution properly. What the herders are doing is a forceful takeover of people’s land which is unconstitutional.”

source: https://punchng.com/akeredolus-order-herdsmen-actions-illegal-presidency-misinterpreted-constitution-adegboruwa/

87 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jan 20, 2021
Lol

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by princemillla(m): 3:55pm On Jan 20, 2021
Brilliant

98 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by princemillla(m): 3:55pm On Jan 20, 2021
SilverNorGold:
Lol

Lol? Why lol

2 Likes

Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jan 20, 2021
princemillla:

Lol? Why lol

My brother, na as them dun overflog this issue dey make me lol grin

Nigeria go better sha

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by SW1st: 4:02pm On Jan 20, 2021
Finishing!!!!!

While it is herdsmen in the South, it is foreigners in the North. All of us are suffering.
I backed the governor 100 per cent because the constitution, in Section 14: 2, makes the security and welfare of the people the primary essence of governance. Any governor that cannot guarantee the lives and properties of the people does not deserve to be in office.

The constitution that the presidency is referring to is being misconceived and misinterpreted. Section 43 which grants people the right to own properties anywhere in Nigeria, cannot be construed as taking other people’s properties.

Your right to acquire properties is that you acquire according to law and follow due process. When you get to a forest, it rather belongs to an individual, a community, or government. So, if you want to come to occupy a forest as a stranger, you must obtain the consent of any of the owers. You are a trespasser and any of them can activate a process to forfeit your trespass. This is what the governor has done by giving notice.

“What the law requires is seven days to forfeit the occupation of a place occupied illegally. It is the presidency that is not conversant with the laws of our land, not Akeredolu.

“Section 44 of our constitution is against the compulsory takeover of lands. Let the presidency read the constitution properly. What the herders are doing is a forceful takeover of people’s land which is unconstitutional.”

Trust my Yoruba people's intellectual prowess and display.

See a load of the law interpretations, lecturing, and intelligence in broad daylight. grin grin grin grin

Hahahahahaha

139 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by Tolexander: 4:03pm On Jan 20, 2021
Adegboruwa made a very apt explanation of the law here.

In Nigeria, no land is free of ownership. If the land doesn’t belong to the people or community, it automatically belongs to the state Governor if it has no mineral resources underground being mined (Land Use Act 1978), from the point of view of a land surveyor which I am.

And to tenure such land, individual(s) need(s) the permission of the state Governor for that.

Did the herdsmen take a request and permission from the state Governor to tenure the land?

Since there is no permission from the state Governor, what right, effrontery and audacity do they have to be on the land or drag the legality of their stay on the land?

Governor Rotimi has done perfectly well to interprets the law as a barrister and execute the law as the Governor and CSO of the state. I hope all other governors in the south and the middle belt can emulate this and hold the bulls by the horns to reduce the menace of the evil herdsmen in our states

109 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by Tolexander: 4:07pm On Jan 20, 2021
What the law requires is seven days to forfeit the occupation of a place occupied illegally. It is the presidency that is not conversant with the laws of our land, not Akeredolu.

It was so surprising hearing the presidency through its rusty trumpet, Garba Sheu trying to drag the legality of an issue with Governor Rotimi Akeredolu, SAN and a former NBA president.

The fact that Garba parrots so well doesn’t make him a lord of law.

71 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by lastmessenger: 4:08pm On Jan 20, 2021
School those ignorant folks calling themselves presidency in matters of the law. Garba shehu is a stark illiterate,an opportunist who became the spoke person for buhari because of the continuous lowering of standards to accomondate people of low level thinking.

There is no where in the world that is not owned by people. Before you go in and occupy such land,you have to take permission and reach agreement with the owners of the land.

65 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by Freestainworld(m): 4:08pm On Jan 20, 2021
The presidency should just gather their darling herdsmen so they can be grazing their cows inside also rock.

36 Likes

Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by lastmessenger: 4:09pm On Jan 20, 2021

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by tungamaje: 4:14pm On Jan 20, 2021
Their interpretation of the constitutetition implies that I can erect my house near Aso Villa and nobody will challenge me because it's my constitutional right as a Nigerian citizen to reside wherever I like. Na him be say I go pack my load go Villa

77 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by madmohamed(m): 4:17pm On Jan 20, 2021
valentineuwakwe:
A Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Mr Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa, has faulted the presidency’s opposition to the vacation order given to herdsmen in Ondo State by Governor Rotimi Akeredolu.

The PUNCH reports that Akeredolu had asked herdsmen to leave the state’s forest reserves within seven days.

Apart from ejecting the herdsmen, Akeredolu also banned under-aged grazing, night grazing, movement of cattle within the cities and highways.

But the presidency in a statement on Tuesday by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, said Akeredolu lacked the power to unilaterally sack herdsmen from Ondo forests.

Reacting in an interview with The PUNCH, the senior advocate said the presidency misinterpreted sections of the constitution.

Adegboruwa said, “I salute the courage of the governor. He displayed rare statesmanship and courage. I think it is a lesson for all governors to take hold of their territory and safeguard the lives and properties of people.

source: https://punchng.com/akeredolus-order-herdsmen-actions-illegal-presidency-misinterpreted-constitution-adegboruwa/

I known understand why they are doing everything to pass water bill in the NA but it will not work.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by StaffofOrayan(m): 5:56pm On Jan 20, 2021
Where are the yoruba ewarriors on NL?
Why have you people been silent for some days now?!?

I honestly wonder where people like Femi Adeshina would move to after his stint at Abuja,
Back to the land he told us to give fulani to save our lives? Some people would sell their own relatives to slavery for fame, money and power

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by Charmingrascal(m): 6:14pm On Jan 20, 2021
When the head of Presidency is a dullard what do you expect?

They know nothing about the Constitution.

No Fulani in the South is innocent, the ones who are not directly involved in crime are shielding criminals and are giving them information.

The Northern agenda is for Fulani terrorists to take over the South.

The want the insecurity being experienced in the core North to spread to the South and some parts of North Central.

Wake up Southerners!
Defend your territory from Buhari's brothers!

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by nisai: 6:32pm On Jan 20, 2021
This is apt. God bless you Adegboruwa.

8 Likes

Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by limeta(f): 6:58pm On Jan 20, 2021

Quota system in the open

14 Likes

Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by Kaypee98(m): 8:02pm On Jan 20, 2021
Interesting

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jan 20, 2021
The Governor is the Chief landlord of the state as enshrined in the Constitution. Irrespective of any ethnicity & affiliations Akeredolu and his cabinet members have the first duty to protect their state from Herdsmen or Foreigners or whatever you want to call the menace.

4 Likes

Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by Faithfull029(f): 8:02pm On Jan 20, 2021
Presidency is misinterpreting constitution

1 Like

Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by Enudapan: 8:03pm On Jan 20, 2021
Nah eh! No qualms
This is so unsophisticated

Fulani herdsmen has been nuisance
since 1960
Up north can accommodate them
The should rent Houses in South west
Or go back up north
We have a lot to worry about down south

2 Likes

Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by DisLifeSha: 8:03pm On Jan 20, 2021
The next best step by governors of the South is to support their people to graze their own cows in a modern way and abort these Fulani trouble makers and killers moving about with cows

16 Likes

Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by microtubez: 8:03pm On Jan 20, 2021
cry
Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by Nobody: 8:04pm On Jan 20, 2021
hmmmmm
herdsmen palaver.. nah only Nigeria wey ordinary herdsmen dey cause wahala

1 Like

Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by ObiOfOnistha: 8:04pm On Jan 20, 2021
Akeredolu have been amazing, he put party affiliation and sentiment apart to trash the menace in his state, he is awesomely placed and actually put the security of the lives and properties of his people first than any greediness not like the Ebonyi state governor begging fulani herdsmen chairman with money
StaffofOrayan:
Where are the yoruba ewarriors on NL?
Why have you people been silent for some days now?!?

I honestly wonder where people like Femi Adeshina would move to after his stint at Abuja,
Back to the land he told us to give fulani to save our lives? Some people would sell their own relatives to slavery for fame, money and power

12 Likes

Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by irepnaija4eva(m): 8:04pm On Jan 20, 2021
Gbamest...

More to this.. The fulanis know that they will be an endangered specie once BUBU is no longer on seat..
That's why they are hell bent on been close to the corridor of power...

Saw a tread sometime ago of TINUBU politricking with El RUFAI.. as highlighted by Bashir on Twitter...
Which i know that combination will never come to fruition if ever APC comes up with such candidates...

First the came with RUGA, which we all resisted, they came with WATER WAY CONTROL which we still rebuked..
All these just to favour a tribe with a smokescreen agend to take peoples God given lands by a mischievous Constitutional force...

Na God go punish una..

9 Likes

Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by kereman1: 8:04pm On Jan 20, 2021
Nigeria is forcefully restructuring herself.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by PussyKing(m): 8:04pm On Jan 20, 2021
wink
Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jan 20, 2021
Gbam!
Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by Sonnobax15(m): 8:05pm On Jan 20, 2021
grin
Show me anything and any one that's more confused than our presidency and I shall definitely prove to you that our presidency has won an award in confusion

1 Like

Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by Emaxwell(m): 8:05pm On Jan 20, 2021
"What the law requires is seven days to forfeit the occupation of a place occupied illegally. It is the presidency that is not conversant with the laws of our land, not Akeredolu.

This is so true the government don't know the law only to jump at every opportunity to defend their Fulani brothers either right or wrong

Don't there have Forest in the North

Am waiting for Miyetti and his crew to come an talk I support Akeredolu on this security of your people is you priority

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adegboruwa: Herdsmen's Actions Illegal, Presidency Misinterpreted Constitution by bewla(m): 8:06pm On Jan 20, 2021
t

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Garbage Pile Up On Abeokuta Roads, Waste Company Blames Diesel Price / Abia: Don’t Be Fierce In Your Reprisal, Igbo Elders Beg Military / Shettima Awaits Arrival Of President Buhari In Maiduguri: Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.