Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,127 members, 7,825,530 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:01 PM

Orange Fleshed Sweet Potato In Nigeria: The New Gold - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Orange Fleshed Sweet Potato In Nigeria: The New Gold (929 Views)

Orange Fleshed Sweet Potato Needed / Orange Fleshed Sweet Potato / Orange Fleshed Sweet Potatoes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Orange Fleshed Sweet Potato In Nigeria: The New Gold by maxipharo(m): 5:14am On Jan 21, 2021
Orange fleshed sweet potato in Nigeria (OFSP) also known as “Solo Gold is a variety of sweet potato with high dry matter and a lot of nutrients. This variety of sweet potato is tolerant to sweet potato weevil and also resistant to sweet potato viral disease, it matures in three to four months. Orange Fleshed sweet potato also has powerful antioxidants that help prevent cancers.
Orange fleshed sweet potato is a staple food for the populace in Nigeria because it is affordable and also contain sustainable source of Vitamin A. OFSP can be consumed as a vegetable (boiled, fried, raw or roasted) as well as in different products through processing and value addition for improved household food intake.
Also, different varieties of food/snacks can be made from OFSP when processed into flour this includes Amala, Puff-puff, chips, cake, porridge, bread, juice, and Kunu. These products can be commercialized for income generation, job, and wealth creation for all, especially women and youth.
Orange-Fleshed Sweet Potato has enormous health benefits recommended for domestic consumption. This variety of sweet potatoes is versatile. It can contribute to food security and improvement in the health of Nigerians.
Benefits of Orange Fleshed Sweet Potato (OFSP)
• Orange-Fleshed Sweet Potato (OFSP) has enormous health benefits including its ability to help gain weight and boost immunity. It also helps ease digestion, in treating bronchitis, arthritis, and stomach ulcers.
• Helps prevent Vitamin A deficiency: Of the many varieties of sweet potatoes, Orange Fleshed Sweet Potato is highly rich in beta-carotene. Beta-carotene is an excellent source of Vitamin A.
• Helps improve digestion: Like other sweet potatoes, Orange-Fleshed Sweet Potato is high in fibre and has a good taste. There is also the presence of magnesium in the OFSP. These properties combined improve digestion a great deal. They are easy to digest since they are mainly starch.
• Treatment of inflammation: Like common potatoes and sweet potatoes, Orange-Fleshed Sweet Potato has anti-inflammatory properties. This is basically due to the presence of beta-carotene, vitamin C, and magnesium. They are very effective in curing internal and external inflammations.
• Boosts immune system: Orange-Fleshed Sweet Potato is rich in beta-carotene. Beta-carotene is a major antioxidant and together with phosphorus, iron, Vitamin C, and Vitamin B complex and iron. They are a very good immune booster, preventing your body from a variety of ill conditions.
• Reduces arthritis pain: Sweet potatoes generally are high in beta-carotene, magnesium, zinc, and Vitamin B and so are important in managing arthritis. Use the water after boiling sweet potatoes externally on joints to ease the pain of arthritis.
• Treats stomach ulcers: Sweet potatoes generally have a soothing effect on the stomach and the intestines. They contain vitamin B-complex, vitamin C, beta-carotene, potassium, and calcium. These are good in curing stomach ulcers.
• Helps prevent dehydration: Like sweet potatoes, Orange-Fleshed Sweet Potato is high in fibre. This helps the body to retain water. This helps maintain water balance in your body, keeping the cells functioning efficiently.
• Helps control diabetes: OFSP helps proper secretion and function of insulin. The insulin helps in effective regulation of blood sugar levels. Notwithstanding, we recommend that diabetics should eat them very cautiously.
Products from OFSP
*Chips
*Crisps
*Purée
*Flour
*Juice
*Bread and other bakery products
Land preparation and Planting of OFSP
OFSP can be planted on a flat surface or a bed can be raised with a spacing of about 1.5m in width, the height of beds should be 10-30cm, organic manure can be mixed with the soil before planting.
OFSP is planted with the vines inserted in the soil at an angle with a spacing of 50cm between rows and 30cm from plant to plant cutting.
Weed Control and Field Management
Always ensure the soil is moist and maintained at all times, avoid waterlogged area. Ensure weeds are not competing with the plant within the 4-5weeks by manually removing the weeds.
For more information about Orange Flesh Sweet Potatoes in Nigeria
https://agricincome.com/orange-fleshed-sweet-potato/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Orange Fleshed Sweet Potato In Nigeria: The New Gold by Deasegun19(m): 5:49am On Jan 21, 2021
I love potatoes but I haven't seen this in my locality
Re: Orange Fleshed Sweet Potato In Nigeria: The New Gold by Nobody: 11:35am On Jan 21, 2021
Deasegun19:
I love potatoes but I haven't seen this in my locality
be like say na the white type popular pass, I planted them for the first time last year, In four months I met a beautiful bountiful harvest. i know of the pink one.Never heard of this one though,

(1) (Reply)

Brewery Waste Needed / Fish Or Poultry Farming, Who Knows / Why Is There No Section For Agriculture In Nairaland?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.