Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,797 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:28 PM

Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? (91221 Views)

Why Do Judges Break The Nib Of Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence / Why Masturbation Can Destroy Your Career / CJN Bars Judges From Uploading Personal Pictures On Social Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by IMASTEX: 11:06am On Jan 24, 2021
Adonis86:

What about the hand that signed the death warrant too? It's an injustice to the pen. The hand that held the pen is supposed to be broken too
The hand that signed it is the law, and the law is the people. The judge is only acting on behalf of people as 200 million can't hold the pen at a time.
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Airtimex(m): 11:10am On Jan 24, 2021
Adonis86:

What about the hand that signed the death warrant too? It's an injustice to the pen. The hand that held the pen is supposed to be broken too

cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Seyzcham91(m): 11:28am On Jan 24, 2021
me too

its true we continou to learn everyday
Asquare84:
I.am just hearing this for the first time in my life
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Nobody: 11:28am On Jan 24, 2021
Chinsus, Chinsus, I'm Just Hearing Dis 4 D 1st Time.

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by SaturnNick(m): 11:30am On Jan 24, 2021
Asquare84:
Me as well
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Eileene(f): 11:36am On Jan 24, 2021
saintneo:

Even the brain. Also, the people at the conviction. And the people that heard about the conviction.

I guess everybody should just die. Lol
Lol who will now remain na

1 Like

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by kingxsamz(m): 12:06pm On Jan 24, 2021
Adonis86:

Or cut off.
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by vikstandon(m): 12:14pm On Jan 24, 2021
The judge won't want to be seen compromising his stance.
He is indirectly saying that his judgement is without doubt...passing a death sentence is the extreme of judgement.
The person when executed is gone and gone forever and care must be taken when such verdict is given.
So the Judge tells all observers that he has done his homework well and without fear, uncertainty and doubt makes such extreme judgement.
And where a retrial is to be done...The same Judge won't preside over the matter again.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by budget4(m): 12:15pm On Jan 24, 2021
Korinnesta:
Lawyers in the house, pls why do judges destroy their pen after pronouncing a death sentence??
Find reason:According to one theory, the judge breaks the nib of his pen because he doesn't want it to be used again for another judgment. The very act of giving the death sentence, or taking the life of someone, is considered so “unholy” that the pen automatically becomes sullied. Hence, the pen is destroyed

1 Like

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Deborah98(f): 12:18pm On Jan 24, 2021
Baba40:

Copy and paste
Whatever at least people learnt from it.
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Health2019: 12:19pm On Jan 24, 2021
Instead of bad news
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Asquare84(m): 12:21pm On Jan 24, 2021
Dagger111:

Abeg how u take accumulate this hundreds likes? Na robot u used?

Just normal comment on the topic ooo
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by overboard(m): 12:25pm On Jan 24, 2021
Even if it is a Montblanc? Just joking o.
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by chatinent: 12:26pm On Jan 24, 2021
I learnt sth new today.
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by osusuallstars: 12:33pm On Jan 24, 2021
N30 pen
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by bigstan11787(m): 12:38pm On Jan 24, 2021
Asquare84:
Me too
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Dagger111(m): 12:41pm On Jan 24, 2021
Asquare84:

Just normal comment on the topic ooo

Opor..
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Mac2016(m): 12:46pm On Jan 24, 2021
Waste of resource; whole ink. Nonsense habit that shd be stopped. The pen has done nothing.
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by StreetPreacher: 12:52pm On Jan 24, 2021
Deborah98:
I'm not a lawyer but the act is called Breaking the nib. It means such a pen was used to sign the death of person and shouldn't be used for such judgement again.
what if the judge decides to use the same pen, will the pen cry/bleed?
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Deborah98(f): 12:54pm On Jan 24, 2021
StreetPreacher:

what if the judge decides to use the same pen, will the pen cry/bleed?
That I don't know...Ask a lawyer cos I'm not one.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Adewale1603(m): 12:55pm On Jan 24, 2021
all my whole life, i have never been to a court of law
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Jakama90(m): 12:59pm On Jan 24, 2021
Hmmm !! And some will be claiming Mr know all. Things wey person never hear or heard for this life still much oo.. My first time of hearing this: I go ask my learned colleagues.
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by SATANN: 1:03pm On Jan 24, 2021
Korinnesta:
Lawyers in the house, pls why do judges destroy their pen after pronouncing a death sentence??
this shit only happens in naija
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by OLULAW: 1:14pm On Jan 24, 2021
Toks2008:

The practice is symbolic of the belief that a pen which is used to take away a person’s life should not be used ever again for other purposes.

In other words,the pen has ‘tasted blood’ and thus it needs to be broken so that it doesnt take another life.

These days that judgements are typed using computers, laptops, etc., are these smashed?
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by airminem(f): 1:20pm On Jan 24, 2021
Korinnesta:
Dear poster, you have enlightened alot of NLders with your observation post. Thank you!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by rickyboss333: 1:33pm On Jan 24, 2021
Deborah98:
I'm not a lawyer but the act is called Breaking the nib. It means such a pen was used to sign the death of person and shouldn't be used for such judgement again.

What a pity...I guess it means a pen to one human life. Chai.
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by SweetDipBenny(m): 1:46pm On Jan 24, 2021
E dont make sense
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Gloria042(f): 1:53pm On Jan 24, 2021
this is interesting
Re: Why Do Judges Destroy Their Pen After Pronouncing A Death Sentence?? by Gloria042(f): 1:54pm On Jan 24, 2021
IMASTEX:

The hand that signed it is the law, and the law is the people. The judge is only acting on behalf of people as 200 million can't hold the pen at a time.

intelligent response

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips / Top 10 Highest Paying Federal Government Jobs In Nigeria & Salaries / Know The Officer Ranking Of The Nigerian Army

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.