Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,806 members, 7,817,335 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:30 AM

Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager (18372 Views)

Frank Lampard Purchases 209 Beers,75 Jagermeisters, 65 Vodka For His Team / Tottenham Vs Arsenal 1:1: "Deserved More" - Alex Iwobi Reacts To Drawn Match / Sarri On The Verge Of Becoming Chelsea Manager, Plans To Change Chelsea Squad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager by obembet(f): 2:58pm On Jan 25, 2021
Sky Sports pundit Paul Merson provides his reaction to the news that Chelsea have sacked head coach Frank Lampard after a run of five defeats from eight Premier League games...

As a Chelsea fan, I find it a bit disappointing decision.

You have to give Frank Lampard a chance. He pulled up trees last season to get them in the Champions League, and they are still in the competition this season.

They have had a bad run. They've brought in a lot of players and Lampard is working with the best group of players he's worked with, but most of them play in the same position.

For me, they had to give him a chance.

Did Chelsea think they were going to buy a 21-year-old kid from Germany in Kai Havertz, another forward from Germany in Timo Werner, Hakim Ziyech and a 36-year-old defender in Thiago Silva and just win the league?

Did they really think they were going to finish above the likes of Liverpool, Man City and Man Utd just like that?

In this league at the moment, especially with no fans, it's difficult. When the fans are at Stamford Bridge, they are full behind Frank because he is a legend at the club. It's a different kettle of fish.

At the moment, it's easy street for the players. If the fans are there, they are cheering Frank's name. They are backing him come what may and the players would see that and know he's there for the long haul. They'd see what a legend he is to the club.

However, the players, the likes of Havertz and Werner, they won't know what Lampard means to Chelsea.

I'm disappointed. How are we going to get these managers - the likes of Lampard - any experience at all?

No one wanted that job last year when Frank took it. He performed miracles last season to get that team into the top four last season.

The problems he's had are the money that was spent and the players that were bought in virtually play in the same position.

Nobody knows what his best team is. If we sat down ahead of Liverpool's or Man Utd's biggest game of the season, half of us could name their starting line-ups and the others would probably be one player out. If we did it for Chelsea, I'd be surprised if any of us would get the line-up, and that was the worry.

He's got Christian Pulisic, he's got Ziyech, he's got Havertz and he's got Werner. He's got four players there who virtually all play in the same position. He stuck with 4-3-3 but it was crying out for Chelsea to play three at the back. Sticking with the 4-3-3 was probably his undoing in the end.

It's another ruthless decision from Chelsea.

To be fair, the plan has worked over the years. They had Carlo Ancelotti come in and do what he did but he was gone. He's one of the top managers of all time let alone now. When Ancelotti can go, anyone can go.

But you need a plan. You can't keep going bang, wallop and crash. I feel for Frank Lampard. You start looking at it now and think, were they his players? Look at Havertz, Lampard never really played him like he was his player. If players come in and you want them as a manager, you just play them. You want them to do well.

Looking back now, it looks like Lampard was a bit of a stop-gap. I worry now. Where is Lampard going to go now? You can't forget what he did last season. I do still think you need that bit of experience around you, but I think it's wrong.

I don't like when these owners get rid of managers when the next two games are winnable. Let's be honest, I can go into Chelsea this week and have a chance of getting a result against Wolves and Burnley.

That's what I don't like. Someone now comes in, wins the two games and everyone says that's why Frank's not there anymore.

Nobody expected Chelsea to get into the Champions League last season. Nobody.

They'd just finished nowhere, Eden Hazard - who was their best player by a million miles - had just left, they couldn't bring anyone in, and someone was expected to come in and take that team into the top four. It was an impossible job on paper and Lampard shouldn't have been far off in getting manager of the year.

People will say he had the players but he didn't have Hazard, who at the time was one of the best players in the world.

Can Tuchel control Chelsea dressing room?

So, Thomas Tuchel is coming in. You've got to remember that he could not control the players at Paris Saint-Germain. The likes of Neymar and Kylian Mbappe did what they wanted. They just played.

You can't say that this guy is going to come in and just sort the players out at Chelsea. Can he get Havertz playing? Can he get Werner and Ziyech playing? He didn't do it with the players at PSG. It's not like he's coming in and you think, 'he's going to scare these players'.

I watched PSG a few times under him. They didn't track back, and I didn't see much of a plan.

Tuchel has got a nice two games coming up. They've just beat Luton and Tammy Abraham has a bit of confidence behind him after scoring a hat-trick. They've got Wolves and Burnley coming up and if you beat them, all of a sudden you move up the table and it is a different game.

It's three wins on the trot in all competitions and the confidence starts flowing again. Who knows then? Chelsea could be back to where they were just before they went to Everton.

It's all about confidence. Tuchel has got to get the team he wants at Chelsea, and I think he'll get that because he's got time.

He's not coming to Stamford Bridge for five games. Within two weeks he'll have his best XI and he'll stick with it for four or five games. He won't start chopping and changing. Coming in, he'll know his best XI and that's the difference.

He's got time now and he'll know he needs to get a settled team as quickly as possible because if he doesn't, it'll be the same old story.

Chelsea are where Manchester United were six weeks ago. They went out of the Champions League and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was gone. They were going to Everton and it seemed like he was gone if he didn't get a result at Goodison Park.

They got a result and now look where they are. They are top of the league thanks to some consistency. That's all it is. Tottenham were up at the top heading to Liverpool.

They were going to win at Anfield to make a massive statement, but they lost and know they are out of the top four. Man City had a bad run and now they are on a roll. Everyone has had it.

Lampard had a nice two games coming up to get back on track. I find it really disappointing he's not getting that chance.

Where next for Lampard?

I do not know where Lampard goes from here. Will he manage again?

He's just been managing one of the biggest teams in the Premier League and one of the biggest clubs in Europe in terms of the players they have and the amount of money they have to spend. The owner is one of the richest about, so you are managing an unbelievable football club with unbelievable football, players.

I really don't know what happens now for him. Will he want to go back to the Championship? I don't think so.

People can talk about the money that has been spent and how it should be better, but Frank did enough last season to earn the right, with another half of the season to go, to try and turn this around.

Who's to say he couldn't have won 13 of the last 19 games? This season in the premier league it has been proved that you can do it. You just have to find consistency. Look at United, they were where Chelsea were.

People would tell me Chelsea are out of it but if you string together five or six wins, you can get back up there.

'Chelsea lost patience with Lampard project'

Analysis from Sky Sports' Peter Smith:

It was supposed to be different this time.

When Chelsea appointed Frank Lampard in the summer of 2019, the indication was they had moved to break their ruthless hire and fire cycle.

Chelsea legend Lampard seemed a fitting figurehead for the project. While he was still green in terms of his own managerial career, he had that intangible quality of knowing the club and knew what these young players would have to go through to become winners at the highest level.

Considering it was nine years into his own playing career before he lifted a trophy, he knew the importance of time and patience, too.

It was an intriguing journey Lampard and his players were embarking on. An experiment to see whether things could be done differently in west London.

But Chelsea have pulled the plug on the process and Lampard has been sacked 18 months after his appointment.

Chelsea's next five fixtures

If Thomas Tuchel is in place by Wednesday, as Chelsea hope, then he will have back-to-back home matches to start - against Wolves and Burnley.

Then comes a huge test for the new boss as the Blues go to Jose Mourinho's Tottenham, before a trip to bottom-of-the-table Sheffield United and a FA Cup fifth-round tie at Barnsley.

Wed Jan 27 - Wolves (H) PL 6pm

Sun Jan 31 - Burnley (H) PL 12pm

Thur Feb 4 - Tottenham (A) PL 8pm

Sat Feb 6 - Sheff Utd (A) PL 3pm

Wed Feb 10 - Barnsley (A) FA Cup 7.45pm

Source: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12198424/frank-lampard-deserved-more-time-as-chelsea-manager-says-paul-merson

3 Likes

Re: Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager by Realtord43: 3:05pm On Jan 25, 2021
Russians dont have patience to spare!

Everybody knows and lampard knows better.

31 Likes

Re: Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager by obembet(f): 3:08pm On Jan 25, 2021
Realtord43:
Russians dont have patience to spare!

Everybody knows and lampard knows better.

Chelsea wil surely regret this, coz Lampard knows the club more than that Bayern fan Thomas Tuchel. Ungreatful club

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager by Realtord43: 3:17pm On Jan 25, 2021
obembet:

Chelsea wil surely regret this, coz Lampard knows the club more than that Bayern fan Thomas Tuchel. Ungreatful club

Lalasticlala
Lolz
You should know by now that sacking coach is a norm in chelsea regardless of your achievement or status at the club.

The expectation set at the begining was too high for a rookie lampard to achieve.

Roman want results not expectation with doubt

40 Likes

Re: Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager by newguy1(m): 3:30pm On Jan 25, 2021
Rubbish talk. Paul Merson said all this because lampard is English... the board gave a simple analogy out of all the past coaches Chelsea have hired under Roman, lampard have the least goal per game ratio, also the team spent over 200m on new recruits and he still doesn’t know his preferred team players or that he just want to keep using his choiced selection. I. All fairness he himself saw this coming n for Mersin to still be asking for more time for him is just nonsense. Him now saying if lampard has stay he would have beaten wolves on Wednesday is just a lie lampard was there when wolves beat him one month back n also lampard have not beaten any team above Chelsea including Aston villa n Everton

50 Likes

Re: Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager by obembet(f): 3:31pm On Jan 25, 2021
Realtord43:
Lolz
You should know by now that sacking coach is a norm in chelsea regardless of your achievement or status at the club.

The expectation set at the begining was too high for a rookie lampard to achieve.

Roman want results not expectation with doubt

In England

Man Utd managers since 1986:
1. Sir Alex Ferguson
2. David Moyes
3. Louis Van Gaal
4. José Mourinho
5.Ole

Arsenal managers since 1986:
1. George Graham
2. Bruce Rioch
3. Arsene Wenger
4. Unai
5. Arteta

Chelsea managers since 1986:
1. Bobby Campbell
2. Ian Porterfield
3. David Webb
4. Glenn Hoddle
5. Ruud Gullit
6. Gianluca Vialla
7. Ray Wilkins
8. Claudio Ranieri
9. Jose Mourinho
10. Avram Grant
11. Felipe Scholari
12. Ray Wilkins
13. Guus Hidink
14. Carlo Ancelotti
15. Andre Villas Boas
16. Roberto Di Matteo
17. Rafael Benitez
18. Jose Mourinho
19. Guus Hiddink
20. Sarri
21. Antonio Conte
22. Lampard
23. Tuchel...

How many more to come...it's not new anyways

73 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager by Kriss216: 3:40pm On Jan 25, 2021
obembet:

In England

1. Sir Alex Ferguson
2. David Moyes
3. Louis Van Gaal
4. José Mourinho
5.Ole

1. George Graham
2. Bruce Rioch
3. Arsene Wenger
4. Unai
5. Arteta

1. Bobby Campbell
2. Ian Porterfield
3. David Webb
4. Glenn Hoddle
5. Ruud Gullit
6. Gianluca Vialla
7. Ray Wilkins
8. Claudio Ranieri
9. Jose Mourinho
10. Avram Grant
11. Felipe Scholari
12. Ray Wilkins
13. Guus Hidink
14. Carlo Ancelotti
15. Andre Villas Boas
16. Roberto Di Matteo
17. Rafael Benitez
18. Jose Mourinho
19. Guus Hiddink
20. Sarri
21. Antonio Conte
22. Lampard
23. Tuchel...

Football didn’t start in 1986.

Sacking Lampard is a good call. Chelsea is way too big for Lampard to manage. He’s in the habit of playing the boys out of their position.

I wish Lampard all the best.

66 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager by Realtord43: 3:41pm On Jan 25, 2021
obembet:

In England

1. Sir Alex Ferguson
2. David Moyes
3. Louis Van Gaal
4. José Mourinho
5.Ole

1. George Graham
2. Bruce Rioch
3. Arsene Wenger
4. Unai
5. Arteta

1. Bobby Campbell
2. Ian Porterfield
3. David Webb
4. Glenn Hoddle
5. Ruud Gullit
6. Gianluca Vialla
7. Ray Wilkins
8. Claudio Ranieri
9. Jose Mourinho
10. Avram Grant
11. Felipe Scholari
12. Ray Wilkins
13. Guus Hidink
14. Carlo Ancelotti
15. Andre Villas Boas
16. Roberto Di Matteo
17. Rafael Benitez
18. Jose Mourinho
19. Guus Hiddink
20. Sarri
21. Antonio Conte
22. Lampard
23. Tuchel...

I bet you if Man United and Arsenal had have a russian as a club owner, they would had have more sack coaches than trophies won.

Just watch, Tuchel might not last up to 2yrs before Roman sack him too.

Its a roman thing and it a roman club.

11 Likes

Re: Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager by Exonerate1(m): 3:48pm On Jan 25, 2021
Paul Merson always chatting sh*t. Nothing new here

2 Likes

Re: Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager by justiniyke29: 4:06pm On Jan 25, 2021
What more time? A manager who cant beat any top 8 team in the league? Who made our defensive record on par with bottom 3 teams of the league. Abeg even lampard expected the sack self, from top of the league to 8th position in 6weeks after 200million plus

16 Likes

Re: Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager by chucs: 4:08pm On Jan 25, 2021
Let him bring on the energy when non English coaches starts underperforming.

Very sentimental English people.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager by reccy(m): 4:22pm On Jan 25, 2021
Yes... I quite agree with him. Its just pathetic and i feel for him. He deserved more time but unfortunately, Chelsea doesn't have such patience....

Lamps, we love you.

We move!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager by Shegzo(m): 4:26pm On Jan 25, 2021
This people are hypocrite. It's because Lampard is British.

4 Likes

Re: Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager by drips8(m): 4:46pm On Jan 25, 2021
The Chelsea board is ruthless, they've sacked league and champions league winners after a bad run of form. Tuchel a newcomer in the Premier league probably won't last long.
Re: Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager by obembet(f): 5:23pm On Jan 25, 2021
Lalasticlala
Re: Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager by kuonbe(m): 5:28pm On Jan 25, 2021
obembet:
Lalasticlala

good evening sis. pls I need lil information from you I know you could be of help pls just quote me
Re: Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager by paulolee(m): 5:46pm On Jan 25, 2021
merson is right but that's the business of football for you...this days players and even coaches have limited time to turn things around...
lampard case was even difficult to earn more time because of the transfers he brought in, all seems good at first but it seems he is tactically confused going by the way he got shallow with his tactics and team selections and needed to take a rest..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager by paulolee(m): 5:47pm On Jan 25, 2021
Shegzo:
This people are hypocrite. It's because Lampard is British.
haaaabaaaaa....people dey o...this thinking is too shallow abeeg

1 Like

Re: Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager by paulolee(m): 5:53pm On Jan 25, 2021
obembet:

In England

1. Sir Alex Ferguson
2. David Moyes
3. Louis Van Gaal
4. José Mourinho
5.Ole

1. George Graham
2. Bruce Rioch
3. Arsene Wenger
4. Unai
5. Arteta

1. Bobby Campbell
2. Ian Porterfield
3. David Webb
4. Glenn Hoddle
5. Ruud Gullit
6. Gianluca Vialla
7. Ray Wilkins
8. Claudio Ranieri
9. Jose Mourinho
10. Avram Grant
11. Felipe Scholari
12. Ray Wilkins
13. Guus Hidink
14. Carlo Ancelotti
15. Andre Villas Boas
16. Roberto Di Matteo
17. Rafael Benitez
18. Jose Mourinho
19. Guus Hiddink
20. Sarri
21. Antonio Conte
22. Lampard
23. Tuchel...

the list changes nothing, real madrid is the most successful club in europe but they have change coaches twice as much as barca have done..
madrid once sacked vicente de bosque for being too boring even when he won the league and Spanish cup dt same season, my point is dt all club managers knows what they want and would keep hiring n firing till they find their Man and dts the business side of football..
like I said earlier, lampard deserved more time but abramovic owns d club and he knows best...

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager by blinking001(m): 5:57pm On Jan 25, 2021
We wish Lampard well in his future endeavours....dude tried his best

3 Likes

Re: Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jan 25, 2021
Lampard ought to be given another chance
Re: Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager by MUSKelon7: 5:57pm On Jan 25, 2021
Up blues
Re: Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager by Bornsinner7: 5:57pm On Jan 25, 2021
No such thing as too young to manage Chelsea.. he just lack experience in managing the team
Re: Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager by solabiyi01(m): 5:57pm On Jan 25, 2021
angry
Re: Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager by mosesbola(f): 5:57pm On Jan 25, 2021
Hello guys,

There's this WhatsApp TV ADELAW TV with phone number 08028346893 on my list that I have been following for sometime now.He claimed to trade Bitcoin.The name of the anchor is ADELOWO BABAJIDE OLIWASEGUN

I contacted him that I have some BTC for sale, he sent me his wallet and I transferred 630$ to his wallet and he refused replying my chats or picking my calls...

I need someone with a reasonable information about him, I need to teach him some lessons he won't forget I'm his life.

Below are attached his pictures extracted from online
Re: Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager by tolor: 5:58pm On Jan 25, 2021
10 Likes

Re: Paul Merson: Frank Lampard Deserved More Time As Chelsea Manager by ganifasakin: 5:58pm On Jan 25, 2021
Continue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch / Jay Jay Okocha - The World's Greatest Football Wizard (video) / UK Pool Week 31 Banker Draws!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.