Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,640 members, 7,820,250 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? (4096 Views)

How To Know When Car Tyres Need Replacing / How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired / See What A Melting Road Did To Car Tyres After An Heavy Rain & Sun In Australia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by BlueRayDick: 10:15pm On Jan 27, 2021
I recently got a Toyota Camry big daddy tokunbo , but due to much bumps in my area (as a result of schools in the neighborhood ) I noticed the vehicle’s bumper is Low and sometimes hits the floor when driving around my neighborhood .

I was advised to change the tyres that came with the car to a bigger one . My predicament is; I don’t know which bigger size tyre would fit in perfectly . The current tyre size is P205/60R15

My questions are :

1. Is it a good idea to change the tyres as advised ?

2. If yes, what size should I change it to ?

3. I heard I can do swapping of the current tyre for bigger ones while adding cash . Is this advisable ?

4. Does anybody here on nairaland so such swapping ? If yes I need recommendations.

5. If the tyre is not the issue , then what could it be ?

Cc: radautoworks
GAZZUZZ
Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by id4sho(m): 10:43pm On Jan 27, 2021
BlueRayDick:
I recently got a Toyota Camry big daddy tokunbo , but due to much bumps in my area (as a result of schools in the neighborhood ) I noticed the vehicle’s bumper is Low and sometimes hits the floor when driving around my neighborhood .

I was advised to change the tyres that came with the car to a bigger one . My predicament is; I don’t know which bigger size tyre would fit in perfectly . The current tyre size is P205/60R15

My questions are :

3. I heard I can do swapping of the current tyre for bigger ones while adding cash . Is this advisable ?

4. Does anybody here on nairaland so such swapping ? If yes I need recommendations.

GAZZUZZ

215/60R16
Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by Nbotee(m): 10:57pm On Jan 27, 2021
Changing the tires may not raise the vehicle to the give u the required ground clearance. U may have to have dem jack it up a bit thru the shocks I think. Did same for my former camey pencil light. Can't remember exactly how it was done
Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by an0daGuy: 11:31pm On Jan 27, 2021
Op 215/65/R16 is the anointed tyre size for your car on Nigerian roads.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by dicksonadams(m): 12:28am On Jan 28, 2021
Consider changing the spring to one that can give you higher ground clearance
Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by melviniyke2002(m): 12:41am On Jan 28, 2021
BlueRayDick:

My questions are :

GAZZUZZ

Answers
1.yes
2.215/60/16
3.yes
4.Go to any good reputable tyre sales outlet in ur area...
5.u changing to a bigger rim size 16 from 15...
Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:25am On Jan 28, 2021
BlueRayDick:

My questions are :

GAZZUZZ

215/70/16
Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by DMayor101: 2:59am On Jan 28, 2021
an0daGuy:
This is exactly what I did and it solved the problem

3 Likes

Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by BlueRayDick: 4:41am On Jan 28, 2021
an0daGuy:

Thank you. Did u change the Rim also or u continued with the pre-existing rim ?
Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by BlueRayDick: 4:42am On Jan 28, 2021
DMayor101:

This is exactly what I did and it solved the problem

U mean for the same Camry big daddy ? Did u change the rim as well ?
Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by BlueRayDick: 4:45am On Jan 28, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

215/70/16

Thank you . But seems I’m getting different recommendations and I honestly don’t know which one to adopt .
Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by afoife: 5:10am On Jan 28, 2021
BlueRayDick:

Thank you . But seems I’m getting different recommendations and I honestly don’t know which one to adopt .

When you knew those recommendations will more comfortable for you why cc gazzuz?
Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by BlueRayDick: 5:14am On Jan 28, 2021
afoife:

When you knew those recommendations will more comfortable for you why cc gazzuz?

I didn’t know much people on this section of the thread , I copied him because I’ve read his inputs on some issues in the past . I would’ve copied as much people as I can if I know their monikers too.
Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by an0daGuy: 6:16am On Jan 28, 2021
BlueRayDick:

Thank you. Did u change the Rim also or u continued with the pre-existing rim ?

No you can continue to make use of your factory 16inch rims. No need to change anything but the tyres.

1 Like

Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by DMayor101: 11:28am On Jan 28, 2021
BlueRayDick:

U mean for the same Camry big daddy ? Did u change the rim as well ?
Yes for the same camry big daddy (2005). I changed the rims from the 15 it came with to 16. Now I am using 215/65/R16

1 Like

Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by melviniyke2002(m): 5:05pm On Jan 28, 2021
an0daGuy:

No you can continue to make use of your factory 16inch rims. No need to change anything but the tyres.
car came wit 15 rim
Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by an0daGuy: 5:08pm On Jan 28, 2021
melviniyke2002:
car came wit 15 rim
I’ve never used 15inch rims before so I can’t recommend a tyre size for you. Maybe someone else here can help.
Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by melviniyke2002(m): 5:13pm On Jan 28, 2021
an0daGuy:

I’ve never used 15inch rims before so I can’t recommend a tyre size for you. Maybe someone else here can help.
I mean d op car came with 15 rim
Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by an0daGuy: 5:16pm On Jan 28, 2021
melviniyke2002:
I mean d op car came with 15 rim

Then he should switch to 16 inch ones. 15 inches can’t give you a nice ride height with the tyres easily available in Nigeria for sedans.

1 Like

Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by mejai(m): 5:28pm On Jan 28, 2021
Park out of that area nah or buy an SUV. No go change the one that will make ur car look like rice smugglers cars via cotonou. grin

8 Likes

Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by kennyldelsu: 5:28pm On Jan 28, 2021
BlueRayDick:

My questions are :

GAZZUZZ

if you change the tyre to 16R, you'll still have to lift the car as when u enter a speed bumb or gallop, the tyre wld touch the inner body.
for my civic, I change to 16R and lift the car - (it's a process where they'll, release the shock, add few inches.)
Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by BlueRayDick: 5:32pm On Jan 28, 2021
kennyldelsu:

if you change the tyre to 16R, you'll still have to lift the car as when u enter a speed bumb or gallop, the tyre wld touch the inner body.
for my civic, I change to 16R and lift the car - (it's a process where they'll, release the shock, add few inches.)

I spoke with a mechanic in my office today and he advised that it’s most likely the shock absorber that is bad and not that the tyre is bad .

He advised I change the shock absorbers first and see before spending on tyres especially now that I am not really ready to spend more cash on getting tyres and rims . Unfortunately I didn’t go to work with the car he would’ve assessed it first hand
Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by kennyldelsu: 6:47pm On Jan 28, 2021
BlueRayDick:

I spoke with a mechanic in my office today and he advised that it’s most likely the shock absorber that is bad and not that the tyre is bad .

He advised I change the shock absorbers first and see before spending on tyres especially now that I am not really ready to spend more cash on getting tyres and rims . Unfortunately I didn’t go to work with the car he would’ve assessed it first hand

my advice - no need to change tyre n rim now, jus do a car lift. if the shocks are bad, the person doing the lift will tell u.
Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by lagusboyyy(m): 7:46pm On Jan 28, 2021
BlueRayDick:

I didn’t know much people on this section of the thread , I copied him because I’ve read his inputs on some issues in the past . I would’ve copied as much people as I can if I know their monikers too.
cc:nurey
Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:49pm On Jan 28, 2021
mejai:
Park out of that area nah or buy an SUV. No go change the one that will make ur car look like rice smugglers cars via cotonou. grin

you can't make heaven if you continue like this

6 Likes

Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by BlueRayDick: 8:14pm On Jan 28, 2021
mejai:

Funny enough I just packed into the area sef. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jan 28, 2021
BlueRayDick:

Funny enough I just packed into the area sef. cheesy

Don't waste money bros. My vehicle is lower than yours and my street has high bumps as well.

Just cross over the bump with only one tire at a time. You should be fine.

1 Like

Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by sheu01: 10:16pm On Jan 28, 2021
Maintain your 15rim but change your tires to 205/70Rim15

1 Like

Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by BlueRayDick: 10:20pm On Jan 28, 2021
rationalmind:

Don't waste money bros. My vehicle is lower than yours and my street has high bumps as well.

Just cross over the bump with only one tire at a time. You should be fine.

I've asked the mechanic to fix the shock and do lifting tomorrow.....I will see if there's an improvement
Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:26pm On Jan 28, 2021
BlueRayDick:

I've asked the mechanic to fix the shock and do lifting tomorrow .....I will see if there's an improvement

You will damage your from CV axles , and ride balance will be off totally .

The option below is better

sheu01:
Maintain your 15rim but change your tires to 205/70Rim15
Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by BlueRayDick: 4:56am On Jan 29, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

You will damage your from CV axles , and ride balance will be off totally .

The option below is better

But the mechanic confirmed the shocks are gone and needed fixing
Re: Should I Change The Car Tyres As Advised ? by femmykenny: 5:58am On Jan 29, 2021
What you need is to change to 16 rim as recommended.
Issue will be resolved.
I did the same for my camry 2004 and ever since I can go anywhere without worries.
The option suggested by your mechanic may have effect on your car balance.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 30 Fastest Cars / What's Wrong With This Vehicle? / ................

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.