Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,585 members, 7,827,174 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

Atiku Attacks FG Over Shutdown Of Online Publication Peoples Gazette - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atiku Attacks FG Over Shutdown Of Online Publication Peoples Gazette (297 Views)

Atiku Attacks Premium Times For Requesting His Academic Records / Don't Blame The Nigerian System For Your Failure Or Else..- Atiku Attacks Buhari / Atiku Attacks Tinubu Over Support For Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atiku Attacks FG Over Shutdown Of Online Publication Peoples Gazette by deantimes(m): 11:26am On Jan 28, 2021
Atiku Abubakar has condemned the shutdown of online publication, Peoples Gazette.

The ordeal of the news outlet founded last year began Tuesday evening after Nigerian telecommunications networks barred internet subscribers from visiting the news portal. TODAY POLITICS confirmed this while accessing the web portal using MTN, Airtel, Glo and 9mobile internet services.

Samuel Ogundipe, the managing editor of Peoples Gazette in a statement said the censorship was as a result of the paper’s publications exposing misconducts particularly by state actors.

Mr Ogundipe said investigations indicted the Nigerian government through the National Communication Commission (NCC).

Weighing in, the opposition presidential candidate in the last general election said the development is unacceptable.

Also Read:

Residents kidnapped as gunmen invade Niger community
January 28, 2021
Nigeria drops in TI’s 2020 corruption ranking
January 28, 2021

“I have received with concern, reports of technical censorship of @GazetteNGR, an independent online newspaper, ostensibly by agents of the Federal Government of Nigeria. This is not acceptable,” the former vice president said in a statement replicated on Twitter.

“Press freedom is not only a constitutionally guaranteed right but an integral component of democracy.

“The battle for the democracy that Nigeria enjoys today was fought and won with the Nigerian media standing in the frontline against anti-democratic forces.

“Sadly today, it seems as though our victory 22 years ago was half-won as there still exists oppressive tendencies of the past.

“As a Democrat and believer in press freedom, I denounce every attempt to gag the media in Nigeria.

“I do so because I know that our democracy is benchmarked on the principle of a republican government and that the people of Nigeria deserve to have access to information about the workings of the government,” he added.

https://todaypoliticsng.com/atiku-attacks-fg-over-shutdown-of-online-publication/
Re: Atiku Attacks FG Over Shutdown Of Online Publication Peoples Gazette by Kingosytex(m): 11:31am On Jan 28, 2021
GentleD201:
Can we stay a day without turmoil in this country?

It is almost impossible.
Re: Atiku Attacks FG Over Shutdown Of Online Publication Peoples Gazette by Kingosytex(m): 11:31am On Jan 28, 2021
“Press freedom is not only a constitutionally guaranteed right but an integral component of democracy.

@ The bolded above is one of the extracts from the source. Atiku is very right but watch as zombies criticise and call him names.

The problem we have in this country is the masses, I think the masses deserve the type of leaders they get.
Re: Atiku Attacks FG Over Shutdown Of Online Publication Peoples Gazette by IbnBattuta1960: 11:40am On Jan 28, 2021
These tendencies are cannot be allowed to go unchanged.
Re: Atiku Attacks FG Over Shutdown Of Online Publication Peoples Gazette by Realtord43: 11:58am On Jan 28, 2021
Some people were so happy when big tech shut Trump from speaking.
The world is changing and freedom of speech is been limited.
Democracy has lost it purpose. If the can shut a sitting president, then a media outlet is a small fish.

(1) (Reply)

I Didn’t Leave Weak Successors, Says Obasanjo / Video: Dele Momodu Speaks On Igbo Presidency In Nigeria / ‘I Don't Have Any Feud With PDP Chairman, Ali Odefa – Sen. Anyim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.