Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,970 members, 7,817,845 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:06 PM

Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up (5100 Views)

2021 Farming Investment / For Next Farming Season,lets Start Planning Now! / Benue Farmers Get In Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by 3ncrypted: 8:34pm On Feb 22, 2021
Kindly help me with yam farmers contact. Thanks. I'm most grateful.
Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by Ameboperoo(m): 7:40am On Feb 23, 2021
You want to buy or farm?
If farming, I might have some useful information for you. I used to be a full-time farmer before.
Cassava, yam and corn.
Ask me anything

2 Likes

Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by 3ncrypted: 12:58pm On Feb 23, 2021
Ameboperoo:
You want to buy or farm?
If farming, I might have some useful information for you. I used to be a full-time farmer before.
Cassava, yam and corn.
Ask me anything

No I supply. I use to buy from someone but they end up cheating most time.

I'm looking for a direct farmer contact that I can buy from.
Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by Ameboperoo(m): 1:41pm On Feb 23, 2021
3ncrypted:

No I supply. I use to buy from someone but they end up cheating most time.

I'm looking for a direct farmer contact that I can buy from.
Where is your location?
Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by josh6633: 4:48pm On Feb 23, 2021
pls where can I get buyers of cassava tubers in Benue State, and anybody here with the update of the current price of a ton of cassava in Benue right now
Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by 3ncrypted: 8:23pm On Feb 23, 2021
Ameboperoo:

Where is your location?
Lagos.
Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by extol1(m): 11:27am On Feb 24, 2021
willybaby:
Hello everyone
Hope we all fine and well, have been a guest of nairaland for many years, a member for years too and I can say it's changed my life a whole lot, and in that regards it's my duty to give back..
I ventured into agriculture 2 years back after school and I can say it's been fun, have had gains and loses aplenty and it's obvious information played a major role with the gains while inexperience brought about most of the losses.
This thread was opened for farmers, with a little bit of extra privileges to farmers in Benue State, Nigeria so we can share information, market among ourselves, strategies etc.

I hope this thread put smiles on faces when it's harvest time
please do you have idea about the sale of land in Benue state especially the idoma axis because I am thinking of coming over there to start farming work.
thanks
Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by willybaby(m): 3:38pm On Feb 24, 2021
extol1:

please do you have idea about the sale of land in Benue state especially the idoma axis because I am thinking of coming over there to start farming work.
thanks
actually I do and ur very much welcome to come buy and join us.. I recently bought 1 for a friend a plot was as low as 40k
Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by willybaby(m): 3:38pm On Feb 24, 2021
josh6633:
pls where can I get buyers of cassava tubers in Benue State, and anybody here with the update of the current price of a ton of cassava in Benue right now
how much do you have for sale sir..
Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by willybaby(m): 3:40pm On Feb 24, 2021
Ameboperoo:
Where is your location?
my oga I might be needing a yam supplier too..
Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by willybaby(m): 12:28pm On Feb 28, 2021
happy Sunday blessed Benue Farmers and all farmers ..
Today brings to an end the month of love but that doesn't mean we'd stop loving, love leads to unity and unity progress so in that light I would love for us to discuss the issue of agricultural co operative societies, which do you belong to, how does it work, what's the benefit and much more questions...
I sadly do not belong to one so I can't contribute so I'd be viewing this thread Lik other such as me so we can learn and glean vital information
Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by bizzibodi(m): 10:23pm On Feb 28, 2021
willybaby:
my soybean experience last year was terrible please don't make my mistakes, for eg I planted late and the rain ma decided to do it's thing..
Sorry,when is d right time to plant soya bean?does it require fertilizer?
Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by willybaby(m): 6:42am On Mar 01, 2021
bizzibodi:

Sorry,when is d right time to plant soya bean?does it require fertilizer?
good morning, for a good planting time, I'd say July and yes it does need fertiliser
Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by willybaby(m): 9:27am On Mar 01, 2021
The week started deliciously.
Good morning everyone, hope you all well and fine, remember we still about agricultural Co-orperatives, inputs are needed and appreciated.

Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by REUBEN010(m): 9:28pm On Mar 01, 2021
Ameboperoo:
You want to buy or farm?
Cassava, yam and corn.
Ask me anything

Hello Sir.
*Please what variety of yam do you cultivate?
*Which of the varieties command better pricing in Southwest?
*Please where can I source for quality and affordable seedyams for cultivation?

Thanks as I anticipate your response to my questions.
Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by Ameboperoo(m): 10:08pm On Mar 01, 2021
REUBEN010:

Hello Sir.
*Please what variety of yam do you cultivate?
I plant many varieties. Soft, hard, white to yellowish (don't confuse with yellow yam), smooth to rough, long and thin to round just name it.
Name varies from place to place.
REUBEN010:

*Which of the varieties command better pricing in Southwest?

In my place, there's one we call gambari. It's hot cake in the market as buyers come from the north to buy at good price.
The only downside is that it doesn't keep too long.
REUBEN010:

*Please where can I source for quality and affordable seedyams for cultivation?
I think you should speak to the local farmers in your area. Their knowledge is invaluable for a starter.
REUBEN010:

Thanks as I anticipate your response to my questions.
Always welcome.
Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by Ameboperoo(m): 11:16pm On Mar 01, 2021
Basically, yam can roughly be classified into early and late maturing.
The early maturing ones can be ready for harvest as early as June, then you cut the new tubers and careful remove without much damage to the feeder root. These will still produce yam seed which is best for planting.
Late maturing ones can only be harvested from September/October.
The early maturing ones don't keep long and are softer. They can be stored up till May/June or even July the following year. But don't take this as a rule of thumb. There are a lot of exceptions and that's where experience comes handy. Always ask questions from experienced farmers in your area.

3 Likes

Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by REUBEN010(m): 2:31am On Mar 02, 2021
Ameboperoo:

I plant many varieties. Soft, hard, white to yellowish (don't confuse with yellow yam), smooth to rough, long and thin to round just name it.
Name varies from place to place.

In my place, there's one we call gambari. It's hot cake in the market as buyers come from the north to buy at good price.
The only downside is that it doesn't keep too long.

I think you should speak to the local farmers in your area. Their knowledge is invaluable for a starter.

Always welcome.

Thanks.
Please which State did you cultivate your yams?
Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by Ameboperoo(m): 8:59am On Mar 02, 2021
REUBEN010:

Thanks.
Please which State did you cultivate your yams?
Kogi west
Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by REUBEN010(m): 12:24pm On Mar 02, 2021
Ameboperoo:
Kogi west
Okay.
Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by REUBEN010(m): 12:32pm On Mar 02, 2021
Ameboperoo:
Basically, yam can roughly be classified into early and late maturing.
The early maturing ones can be ready for harvest as early as June, then you cut the new tubers and careful remove without much damage to the feeder root. These will still produce yam seed which is best for planting.
Late maturing ones can only be harvested from September/October.
The early maturing ones don't keep long and are softer. They can be stored up till May/June or even July the following year. But don't take this as a rule of thumb. There are a lot of exceptions and that's where experience comes handy. Always ask questions from experienced farmers in your area.

For the yams to be harvested during the months you mentioned above, when will they be planted?

1 Like

Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by Ameboperoo(m): 1:45pm On Mar 02, 2021
REUBEN010:

For the yams to be harvested during the months you mentioned above, when will they be planted?
Good question. The planting period varies from place to place.
I will only tell you what is obtainable in my place.
In a fadama area (yes yam can be planted in marshy/ waterlogged area), the cultivation is done in December to early February. The yam seed/set are already sprouting and can be planted almost immediately. This can be ready for harvest by june.
On the other types of soil (forest or savannah) we usually cultivate by September and planting is done by October as against march/ April in some places. The advantage of planting early is that some light rain will still fall and cake the soil layer on top of the seed/set, this cures the seed and moisture is trapped to create the perfect condition needed for the it to survive the long dormant period. Mulching is done in February or March preferably after one or two rains. Germination is triggered by the mulch/rain and the vine start climbing immediately.
This will be ready for first harvest starting from August or there about. Then second harvest (seed) is ready by October.
NB. You can harvest yam twice. The first when the tuber is still growing and the leaves are green. Those harvested once will produce yam seed which is best for planting.

1 Like

Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by willybaby(m): 2:00pm On Mar 02, 2021
Ameboperoo:

Good question. The planting period varies from place to place.
I will only tell you what is obtainable in my place.
In a fadama area (yes yam can be planted in marshy/ waterlogged area), the cultivation is done in December to early February. The yam seed/set are already sprouting and can be planted almost immediately. This can be ready for harvest by june.
On the other types of soil (forest or savannah) we usually cultivate by September and planting is done by October as against march/ April in some places. The advantage of planting early is that some light rain will still fall and cake the soil layer on top of the seed/set, this cures the seed and moisture is trapped to create the perfect condition needed for the it to survive the long dormant period. Mulching is done in February or March preferably after one or two rains. Germination is triggered by the mulch/rain and the vine start climbing immediately.
This will be ready for first harvest starting from August or there about. Then second harvest (seed) is ready by October.
NB. You can harvest yam twice. The first when the tuber is still growing and the leaves are green. Those harvested once will produce yam seed which is best for planting.
wow so much vital information, thanks boss am sure anyone wanting to cultivate yams now has all wah he or she needs to begin.. @Ameboperoo you need go back to ur farms fa
Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by Ameboperoo(m): 2:03pm On Mar 02, 2021
Lest I forget to mention.
Yam has "incubation period" as I would call it. grin
The local farmers will say they are pregnant. This is a period that yam is prone to rot when bruised or cut.
It is very safe to cut yam during September through October. But by December Jan and early February, if you cut it, it will likely rot starting from the cut.
I burnt my hand once out of ignorance by cutting yam set around December. The germination rate was about 5%. During this period, it's safer to plant seed.

1 Like

Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by Ameboperoo(m): 2:14pm On Mar 02, 2021
willybaby:
wow so much vital information, thanks boss am sure anyone wanting to cultivate yams now has all wah he or she needs to begin.. @Ameboperoo you need go back to ur farms fa
Only after the security of the nation improves o. I can't come and go and kill myself o.
And besides, I have broken the bridge. I sold out most of my yam last year. The little I have now is to be planted in my pot and harvested in my pounder grin grin
Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by willybaby(m): 2:34pm On Mar 02, 2021
grin
Ameboperoo:

Only after the security of the nation improves o. I can't come and go and kill myself o.
And besides, I have broken the bridge. I sold out most of my yam last year. The little I have now is to be planted in my pot and harvested in my pounder grin grin
grin
Ameboperoo:

no wahala we all pray for the best
Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by Ameboperoo(m): 3:08pm On Mar 02, 2021
willybaby:
gringrin no wahala we all pray for the best
Amen. By the way, that your bush meat will go well in egusi soup with pounded yam o
Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by ateebonds(m): 3:56pm On Mar 02, 2021
Can anyone here Link me up to companies that process cassava
Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by willybaby(m): 4:04pm On Mar 02, 2021
ateebonds:
process into garri or what product ?
Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by rita25(f): 4:54pm On Mar 02, 2021
i will keep following this thread

1 Like

Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by Ameboperoo(m): 5:53am On Mar 03, 2021
ateebonds:
There are two companies in Kogi state. Crest Agro and unicane. If you can supply to Kogi, I will link you up.
Re: Benue Farmers 2021 Farming Season Let's Meet Up by willybaby(m): 6:08pm On Mar 03, 2021
Hello house please I would love to know is cassava cultivated in a Fadama area

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Where Can I Get Mung Beans In Nigeria / Livestock Feed Price Update / WE Sell Empty Shipping Containers & Refrigerated Containers20ft And 40ft

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.