Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,701 members, 7,827,568 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:44 PM

Why Is My Screeded Wall Peeling Off - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Why Is My Screeded Wall Peeling Off (4373 Views)

*fresh Letting* Miniflat With Modern Facilities Pop Screeded Wall 1t 1b *gated / To Let A Lovely Miniflat With Pop Screeded Wall,car Park ,2toilets, Upstairs Cl / Why Is My Screeded Wall Bulging??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is My Screeded Wall Peeling Off by sleekyonyx(f): 10:46pm On Jan 30, 2021
Hello Nairalanders, pls what can I do to salvage this situation. Why is my screeded wall peeling
It gets worse during the rainy season

Re: Why Is My Screeded Wall Peeling Off by iHart(m): 11:03pm On Jan 30, 2021
What do you have in the other side of the wall? Bathroom or toilet?
Re: Why Is My Screeded Wall Peeling Off by aaking(m): 11:05pm On Jan 30, 2021
The area you stay is the cause. causes by flood, or maybe your house close to the river and more also having bathroom next to your room
Re: Why Is My Screeded Wall Peeling Off by OlawaleBammie: 11:07pm On Jan 30, 2021
sleekyonyx:
Hello Nairalanders, pls what can I do to salvage this situation. Why is my screeded wall peeling

That is capillary rise in water.

Reason why a Damp proof course is needed in a building

1 Like

Re: Why Is My Screeded Wall Peeling Off by flexyoo: 11:24pm On Jan 30, 2021
Can someone please elaborate on this. I am facing same problem with my building. The whole house not just a particular spot. No water problems even during rainy season.
Re: Why Is My Screeded Wall Peeling Off by illmatic101(m): 11:36pm On Jan 30, 2021
sleekyonyx:

What type of material did you use for the screeded wall
Re: Why Is My Screeded Wall Peeling Off by MRFIXER001: 11:41pm On Jan 30, 2021
A lot of things can caused this but I will list briefly what could be the likely cause;
1. Mixing proportion of the screeding materials used. POP cement, screeding paint and top gum are the major materials needed for screeding. If little or no gum was used during the screeding process, it's definitely going to peel off. The fault can come from both the client (choosing cheapest quote) or the apprentice (been greedy).
2. Water movement in the structure : there are two types of screeding; POP cement screeding and ordinary Portland cement screeding (common cement). POP cement screeding absorb water thus fail with time while ordinary cement screeding repel water.
3. Lack of professionalism. It's the duty of the called experts to observe and desire the best type of screeding for a building. Indeed POP cement screeding cost more than the other, some apprentice forget about doing proper observation. They only follow their stomach.
flexyoo:
Can someone please elaborate on this. I am facing same problem with my building. The whole house not just a particular spot. No water problems even during rainy season.
Re: Why Is My Screeded Wall Peeling Off by Ever8090: 11:56pm On Jan 30, 2021
Because it is pealing off..
Re: Why Is My Screeded Wall Peeling Off by flexyoo: 12:34am On Jan 31, 2021
MRFIXER001:
A lot of things can caused this but I will list briefly what could be the likely cause;
1. Mixing proportion of the screeding materials used. POP cement, screeding paint and top gum are the major materials needed for screeding. If little or no gum was used during the screeding process, it's definitely going to peel off. The fault can come from both the client (choosing cheapest quote) or the apprentice (been greedy).
2. Water movement in the structure : there are two types of screeding; POP cement screeding and ordinary Portland cement screeding (common cement). POP cement screeding absorb water thus fail with time while ordinary cement screeding repel water.
3. Lack of professionalism. It's the duty of the called experts to observe and desire the best type of screeding for a building. Indeed POP cement screeding cost more than the other, some apprentice forget about doing proper observation. They only follow their stomach.
What's the best solution asides from tearing down and rebuilding (that's the way it's doing me)? We abandoned the master bedroom because of this. Now it shakes out dust cry
Re: Why Is My Screeded Wall Peeling Off by Ademat7(m): 9:29am On Jan 31, 2021
flexyoo:

What's the best solution asides from tearing down and rebuilding (that's the way it's doing me)? We abandoned the master bedroom because of this. Now it shakes out dust cry
Contact 3sisters Nigeria in lekki, Lagos. They can waybill the adhesive to you if you are outside Lagos
Twitter: @3sistersnigeria

2 Likes

Re: Why Is My Screeded Wall Peeling Off by Ademat7(m): 9:30am On Jan 31, 2021
https://twitter.com/adematinfo/status/1355772571921346561?s=19

I posted this problem on twitter and people responded.
Re: Why Is My Screeded Wall Peeling Off by olukaygold(m): 11:17am On Jan 31, 2021
flexyoo:

If it's the whole wall building,you can replaster the walls or re-screed the wall with cement screeding( must be handle by a Professional Apprentice)
Re: Why Is My Screeded Wall Peeling Off by sleekyonyx(f): 11:46am On Jan 31, 2021
illmatic101:

What type of material did you use for the screeded wall
I really don’t know what the Landlord used for the screeding cos I’m a tenant
Re: Why Is My Screeded Wall Peeling Off by sleekyonyx(f): 11:50am On Jan 31, 2021
iHart:
What do you have in the other side of the wall? Bathroom or toilet?
the Orange paint area is kitchen on the other side
While the beige paint area is the corridor
Re: Why Is My Screeded Wall Peeling Off by illmatic101(m): 12:02pm On Jan 31, 2021
sleekyonyx:
I really don’t know what the Landlord used for the screeding cos I’m a tenant

The landlord was suppose to use white cement for the screeding not calcium sulphate. Calcium doesn't go well with water.
Re: Why Is My Screeded Wall Peeling Off by flexyoo: 12:25pm On Jan 31, 2021
olukaygold:

If it's the whole wall building,you can replaster the walls or re-screed the wall with cement screeding( must be handle by a Professional Apprentice)
We tried this before it was back to square one in about a year. The replasted wall fell off
Re: Why Is My Screeded Wall Peeling Off by olukaygold(m): 12:29pm On Jan 31, 2021
flexyoo:

We tried this before it was back to square one in about a year. The replasted wall fell off
Where is your location? And can you contact me on call/Whatsapp me pls
Re: Why Is My Screeded Wall Peeling Off by flexyoo: 12:35pm On Jan 31, 2021
olukaygold:

Where is your location? And can you contact me on call/Whatsapp me pls

This is what I am trying to explain. You can see the extra work done on it.
Re: Why Is My Screeded Wall Peeling Off by olukaygold(m): 1:02pm On Jan 31, 2021
flexyoo:

This is what I am trying to explain. You can see the extra work done on it.

They did rubbish work here,you cant replaster a wall on a painted wall na. Best approach, remove all the paint on the affected area and chisel the wall or terrazzo the wall with sharp sand and cement then replaster it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is My Screeded Wall Peeling Off by flexyoo: 1:18pm On Jan 31, 2021
olukaygold:

They did rubbish work here,you cant replaster a wall on a painted wall na. Best approach, remove all the paint on the affected area and chisel the wall or terrazzo the wall with sharp sand and cement then replaster it.

I will send a message to you when I have the resources. Thank you for your time
Re: Why Is My Screeded Wall Peeling Off by MRFIXER001: 7:48pm On Jan 31, 2021
Screeding is just a surface layer on plastering. Ask your expert to scrap it out and redo it provided that it's not caused by moisture movement in the building.
flexyoo:

1 Like

Re: Why Is My Screeded Wall Peeling Off by Alabson80(m): 5:17pm On Mar 20, 2023
Please am here in Owerri if you are encounter same problem I will give you solutions it's my work, screeding and painting I will do it or you with guarantee this is my WhatsApp number 07015408686

(1) (Reply)

Original Blank Plates Already Customize From China For Vehicle Plates. / Thesens Island / Air-conditioners At Giveaway Price In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.