Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,701 members, 7,820,455 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:14 PM

Myanmar's Military Seizes Power In Coup - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Myanmar's Military Seizes Power In Coup (602 Views)

Military seizes power in Gabon / Protests Against Coup In Sudan As Military Seizes Power (Photos) / Guinea: Conde Detained As Government Is Dissolved In Coup (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Myanmar's Military Seizes Power In Coup by kiddkash(m): 12:47pm On Feb 01, 2021
Myanmar's powerful military has taken control of the country in a coup and declared a state of emergency, following the detention of Aung San Suu Kyi and other senior government leaders in early morning raids Monday.

The country woke up to widespread internet and communications blackouts, closed banks, and soldiers in army fatigues patrolling the streets of Myanmar's largest city, Yangon. Residents turning on their television sets could only access the military-owned Myawaddy TV channel, with all other news channels seemingly blocked.

As news filtered through that the country's democratically-elected leaders had been detained in the capital, a news anchor announced on the military-owned channel that power had been handed over to army chief Min Aung Hlaing.
In the address, the military confirmed it had detained the country's de facto civilian leader Suu Kyi, along with other high ranking National League for Democracy (NLD) leaders, in response to alleged voting irregularities in November's election.
Suu Kyi's party, the NLD claimed an overwhelming victory in that election, taking 83% of the vote, which granted it another five years in government. The military-backed Union Solidarity and Development Party won just 33 out of a possible 476 seats.

The coup came just hours before the first session of the new parliament was set to open, and follows weeks of worsening political tensions in the country over the disputed election amid rumors that the military could take over.
A soldier stands guard on a blockaded road to Myanmar's parliament in Naypyidaw on February 1, 2021, after the military detained the country's de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi and the country's president in a coup.
A soldier stands guard on a blockaded road to Myanmar's parliament in Naypyidaw on February 1, 2021, after the military detained the country's de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi and the country's president in a coup.
Monday's events have been widely condemned internationally, with the United States calling on Myanmar's military leaders to "release all government officials and civil society leaders and respect the will of the people."
"The United States expresses grave concern and alarm regarding reports that the Burmese military has detained multiple civilian government leaders, including State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi, and civil society leaders," according to a statement from the US Secretary of State Antony Blinken. "The military must reverse these actions immediately."
Army chief Min Aung Hlaing, who is now running the country, has been under US sanctions since December 2019. He was designated for serious human rights abuses related to the atrocities committed against the Rohingya Muslim community.
On Monday, Min Aung Hlaing's office released a statement saying that elections will take place only after the election commission has been "re-constituted" and the voter lists have been investigated.
"A free and fair multiparty general election will be held and then, state responsibilities will be handed over to the winning party meeting norms and standards of democracy," the statement said.
Prominent Myanmar historian and author Thant Myint-U said on Twitter Monday that, "The doors just opened to a very different future."
"I have a sinking feeling that no one will really be able to control what comes next. And remember Myanmar's a country awash in weapons, with deep divisions across ethnic and religious lines, where millions can barely feed themselves."

Re: Myanmar's Military Seizes Power In Coup by MadamExcellency: 12:51pm On Feb 01, 2021
I fear, APC and Nigerian Military may effect this model in 2023
Re: Myanmar's Military Seizes Power In Coup by GamalNasser: 12:52pm On Feb 01, 2021
Nothing new here, even the DEMOCRATs in America planned a coup
Re: Myanmar's Military Seizes Power In Coup by padi94(m): 1:33pm On Feb 01, 2021
Nothing gets old
Re: Myanmar's Military Seizes Power In Coup by baralatie(m): 1:40pm On Feb 01, 2021
so that means new head of state

1 Like

Re: Myanmar's Military Seizes Power In Coup by Mayng01(m): 1:41pm On Feb 01, 2021
I foresee Same in Nigeria.
Re: Myanmar's Military Seizes Power In Coup by id4sho(m): 1:47pm On Feb 01, 2021
chai
Re: Myanmar's Military Seizes Power In Coup by meobizy(f): 2:03pm On Feb 01, 2021
This action has recurred since the 80s in the country. I see nothing new here. I believe strongly that foreign powers are behind this back and forth coup. At least the woman ruled as a president for four if not more years. Last I remember, her tenure wasn’t any better for the common man.
Re: Myanmar's Military Seizes Power In Coup by englishmart(m): 2:05pm On Feb 01, 2021
If only this could happen in my country, North Korea.

2 Likes

Re: Myanmar's Military Seizes Power In Coup by helinues: 2:07pm On Feb 01, 2021
More big sanction loading for Myanmar's government
Re: Myanmar's Military Seizes Power In Coup by Nobody: 2:45pm On Feb 01, 2021
And how is this news?? This is nothing new.

This is just like telling me that the sun is shining.

The military of Myanmar has simply come back to take its rightful property.

Burma is not new to military coups and/or military governments.

Since independence in 1948, I don't think that that country has had up to two full decades of civilian rule.

The military almost singlehandedly created that country. On their own, they fought for its independence. They gave it its name. The current capital city- Nay Pyi Taw- they built by themselves.

Myanmar/Burma is the military and the military is Myanmar/Burma. That country is roughly 73 years old but the military has been in charge of it, one way or another, for nothing less than 50 years.

It's hard to imagine a civilian-ruled Myanmar to be honest. It's difficult.

I don't think a civilian government can succeed in that country.
Re: Myanmar's Military Seizes Power In Coup by madmohamed(m): 3:30pm On Feb 01, 2021
meobizy:
This action has recurred since the 80s in the country. I see nothing new here. I believe strongly that foreign powers are behind this back and forth coup. At least the woman ruled as a president for four if not more years. Last I remember, her tenure wasn’t any better for the common man.
yes foreign power is behind the coup that lady president is very wicked I was in that country 2015 for official duty . She could have removed since 2018 but we give some advice to wait for the right time. After what happened to rahinga Moslem she lost good will from the West.
Re: Myanmar's Military Seizes Power In Coup by Nobody: 3:37pm On Feb 01, 2021
Aung San Suu Kyi used to be the poster woman of the western world when DEMOCRACY is talked about, she spoke in all western think tank groups condemning the regim in Myanmar until she became president and started showing the western world that she does not respect their democracy.
Re: Myanmar's Military Seizes Power In Coup by mokolade21845: 4:11pm On Feb 01, 2021
More big sanction loading for Myanmar's government

(1) (Reply)

Afghan Vet Joey Jones: We Should Have Killed Every One Of Them / Putin's Crony: "The Horsemen Of The Apocalypse Are Galloping Ahead" ( Video) / Saudi Arabia Has Been Dumping Its US Bonds Holding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.