Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:52 AM

Only Ph.d Holders In Health Sector Should Bear ‘doctor’ – JOHESU - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Only Ph.d Holders In Health Sector Should Bear ‘doctor’ – JOHESU (586 Views)

Only Ph.d Holders In Health Sector Should Bear ‘doctor’ – JOHESU / Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! / Federal Health Workers Under The Umbrella Of JOHESU Embark On Indefinite Trike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Only Ph.d Holders In Health Sector Should Bear ‘doctor’ – JOHESU by capitalzero: 9:18am On Feb 02, 2021
Tuesday, 02 February 2021 05:10

Only Ph.D Holders In Health Sector Should Bear ‘Doctor’ – JOHESU
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppSMSEmailMore7
font size Print Email Comments:0 Comments
The Joint Health Sector Unions (JOHESU) yesterday recommended that only doctorate degree holders in the health sector should exclusively use the title of doctor.

It called for the amendment of the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN) to end the use of the title of doctor for all categories of medical practitioners.

This, according to it, was because, in the health sector, doctor-based programmes are “professional degrees and not doctorate.”

The JOHESU stated this position in its recommendations on the proposed MDCN Act 2020 submitted to the National Assembly, a copy of the memo was made available to Daily Trust.

It noted that “the Ph.D. or Doctor of Philosophy is the highest graduate degree awarded by universities and in the most ideal of situations remain the cadre that should use the title Dr. exclusively.”

In the recommendation, JOHESU called for the amendment of Section 42(1), which says “Subject to subsection (4) of this section, no person other than a registered medical practitioner shall (b) take or use the title of physician, surgeon, doctor or licentiate of medicine, medical practitioner, or apothecary.

Also, sector 42(2) said, “Subject to section (4) of this section, no person other than a registered dental surgeon shall (b) take or use the title of a dental surgeon, doctor, dentist, dental officer or dental practitioner.”

But JOHESU is seeking the amendment of section 42(1) b to read (b) “take or use the title of physician, surgeon or licentiate of medicine or medical practitioner.”

It also wants section 42(2) b to read, “Take or use the title of a dental surgeon, dentist, dental officer or dental practitioner.”

Daily Trust reports that if the recommendation is approved, the title of doctor for all medical practitioners would be abolished while only those who have bagged doctorate in their respective disciplines would be addressed as ‘Doctor.”

https://www.reubenabati.com.ng/index.php/component/k2/item/24435-only-ph-d-holders-in-health-sector-should-bear-doctor-johesu#.YBj-U2B0rX8.whatsapp
Re: Only Ph.d Holders In Health Sector Should Bear ‘doctor’ – JOHESU by YoonSung81: 9:21am On Feb 02, 2021
The rest nnkan?
Re: Only Ph.d Holders In Health Sector Should Bear ‘doctor’ – JOHESU by thesicilian: 9:43am On Feb 02, 2021
May jealousy not kill some people

1 Like

Re: Only Ph.d Holders In Health Sector Should Bear ‘doctor’ – JOHESU by Amotolongbo(f): 10:08am On Feb 02, 2021
JOHESU vs Medical Doctors cont....
Re: Only Ph.d Holders In Health Sector Should Bear ‘doctor’ – JOHESU by capitalzero: 2:29pm On Feb 02, 2021
Only in Nigeria
Re: Only Ph.d Holders In Health Sector Should Bear ‘doctor’ – JOHESU by lordempire(m): 3:15pm On Feb 02, 2021
Fools
Re: Only Ph.d Holders In Health Sector Should Bear ‘doctor’ – JOHESU by koyema22: 4:53pm On Feb 02, 2021
Highest stupidity of the JOHESU.
So ashamed of them.
Re: Only Ph.d Holders In Health Sector Should Bear ‘doctor’ – JOHESU by Uyi168: 11:14pm On Feb 02, 2021
Naija na better cruise..
Re: Only Ph.d Holders In Health Sector Should Bear ‘doctor’ – JOHESU by onlyfacts: 11:39pm On Feb 02, 2021
capitalzero:

The Joint Health Sector Unions (JOHESU) yesterday recommended that only doctorate degree holders in the health sector should exclusively use the title of doctor.

It called for the amendment of the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN) to end the use of the title of doctor for all categories of medical practitioners.

This, according to it, was because, in the health sector, doctor-based programmes are “professional degrees and not doctorate.”

The JOHESU stated this position in its recommendations on the proposed MDCN Act 2020 submitted to the National Assembly, a copy of the memo was made available to Daily Trust.

It noted that “the Ph.D. or Doctor of Philosophy is the highest graduate degree awarded by universities and in the most ideal of situations remain the cadre that should use the title Dr. exclusively.”

In the recommendation, JOHESU called for the amendment of Section 42(1), which says “Subject to subsection (4) of this section, no person other than a registered medical practitioner shall (b) take or use the title of physician, surgeon, doctor or licentiate of medicine, medical practitioner, or apothecary.

Also, sector 42(2) said, “Subject to section (4) of this section, no person other than a registered dental surgeon shall (b) take or use the title of a dental surgeon, doctor, dentist, dental officer or dental practitioner.”

But JOHESU is seeking the amendment of section 42(1) b to read (b) “take or use the title of physician, surgeon or licentiate of medicine or medical practitioner.”

It also wants section 42(2) b to read, “Take or use the title of a dental surgeon, dentist, dental officer or dental practitioner.”

Daily Trust reports that if the recommendation is approved, the title of doctor for all medical practitioners would be abolished while only those who have bagged doctorate in their respective disciplines would be addressed as ‘Doctor.”

https://www.reubenabati.com.ng/index.php/component/k2/item/24435-only-ph-d-holders-in-health-sector-should-bear-doctor-johesu#.YBj-U2B0rX8.whatsapp

Doctor of medicine can continue to be used to address graduates of medicine and dentistry. My only problem is its USE should not be attributed to one profession in the medical field. Many medical courses outside of medicine and surgery, offer Doctorate programs both locally and globally, as such those professionals are to be legally addressed as Doctors.

But in Nigeria, progress is hard to come by because we love our reality the way it is. Innovation and changing world view is not our opium, we like what we are already accustomed too.
It will become a nuisance for a Doctor in the medical field, who is not a medical doctor by profession to always correct patients and relatives when he correctly addresses himself as a doctor because he is misunderstood to be either of MBBS or Dentistry, or when he introduces himself as a Doctor in a medical seminar or clinical meeting and MEDICAL DOCTOR'S mistake him to be one of them. His name tag on his clinical coat will simply read DR. XY. Only the badge on his clinical coat will signify his profession.

To mitigate this in my opinion, I feel the type of doctor has to be clarified when introducing ones profession to other medical professionals and to the public. Eg. I am a MEDICAL DOCTOR, I am a DOCTOR of PHARMACY, I am a DOCTOR of PHYSIOTHERAPY etc, otherwise using the term Doctor alone will create alot of confusion and avoidable problems.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Only Ph.d Holders In Health Sector Should Bear ‘doctor’ – JOHESU by onlyfacts: 11:41pm On Feb 02, 2021
capitalzero:

Doctor of medicine can continue to be used to address graduates of medicine and dentistry. My only problem is its USE should not be attributed to one profession in the medical field. Many medical courses outside of medicine and surgery, offer Doctorate programs both locally and globally, as such those professionals are to be legally addressed as Doctors.

But in Nigeria, progress is hard to come by because we love our reality the way it is. Innovation and changing world view is not our opium, we like what we are already accustomed too.
It will become a nuisance for a Doctor in the medical field, who is not a medical doctor by profession to always correct patients and relatives when he correctly addresses himself as a doctor because he is misunderstood to be either of MBBS or Dentistry, or when he introduces himself as a Doctor in a medical seminar or clinical meeting and MEDICAL DOCTORS mistake him to be one of them. His name tag on his clinical coat will simply read DR. XY. Only the badge on his clinical coat will signify his profession.

To mitigate this in my opinion, I feel the type of doctor has to be clarified when introducing ones profession to other medical professionals and to the public. Eg. I am a MEDICAL DOCTOR, I am a DOCTOR of PHARMACY, I am a DOCTOR of PHYSIOTHERAPY etc, otherwise using the term Doctor alone will create alot of confusion and avoidable problems.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Only Ph.d Holders In Health Sector Should Bear ‘doctor’ – JOHESU by capitalzero: 8:51am On Feb 03, 2021
onlyfacts:

It will become a nuisance for a Doctor in the medical field, who is not a medical doctor by profession to always correct patients and relatives when he correctly addresses himself as a doctor because he is misunderstood to be either of MBBS or Dentistry, or when he introduces himself as a Doctor in a medical seminar or clinical meeting and MEDICAL DOCTORS mistake him to be one of them. His name tag on his clinical coat will simply read DR. XY. Only the badge on his clinical coat will signify his profession.

Good point! With quacks operating hospitals in the country , it will lead to disaster. Most citizens are illiterates.we love titles too much !!!

(1) (Reply)

. / This Is My Story- How I Overcame My Erectile Dysfunction / 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.