Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,804 members, 7,827,959 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:10 PM

Yar’adua: 2011 Polls Will Be Credible - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yar’adua: 2011 Polls Will Be Credible (866 Views)

OBJ Wanted A Buhari/Okonjo-Iweala Ticket In 2011 Polls-- El Rufai. / List Of States With Electoral Malpractices In 2011 Polls - Is Your State Among? / Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yar’adua: 2011 Polls Will Be Credible by BigB11(m): 2:53pm On Jul 04, 2007
Yar’Adua: 2011 Polls Will Be Credible

From President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua came an assurance yesterday that the next general elections in Nigeria would be credible. He assured the African Union (AU) leaders shortly before the AU Summit ended in Ghana that he would ensure that there "credible, free and fair elections in 2011.”
Yar'Adua reiterated that his administration would reform the electoral system to deliver "credible and fair" polls in 2011, in what was seen as an admission that the election that brought him to power had flaws.
He said as soon as electoral tribunals conclude their work on disputes that arose out of the April elections, major reforms would start. He had made a similar promise when he was sworn in as president on May 29.
"We have a lot of work to do to re-examine the electoral process so as to make future elections peaceful, credible and acceptable to the vast majority of our people. I consider this as a major legacy I want to leave to Nigeria at the end of my presidency: that we can conduct credible and transparent elections," Yar'Adua said.
While insisting that he had a genuine mandate from the Nigerian people, Yar'Adua has also recognised, on several occasions, that there were flaws in the polls.

http://www.ngex.com/cgi-bin/frame/frameit2.plx?link=%22http://www.thisdayonline.com%22
Re: Yar’adua: 2011 Polls Will Be Credible by uchetobi(f): 2:57pm On Jul 04, 2007
till then.
Re: Yar’adua: 2011 Polls Will Be Credible by McKren(m): 3:07pm On Jul 04, 2007
If he honestly thinks the one that brought him to power is not credible he should kindly resign

This idea of wasting a whole month on reconcilation or government of National Unity is a waste of time and space.

Comments attributed to Yaradua makes his continues stay as President untennable.
Re: Yar’adua: 2011 Polls Will Be Credible by denex: 3:08pm On Jul 04, 2007
@Big B1

now this is news. Unlike those "sources confirmed" stories.

This is information based on factual occurrences and events not guess work.
Re: Yar’adua: 2011 Polls Will Be Credible by BigB11(m): 3:30pm On Jul 04, 2007
Instead of spending and wasting time on unnecessary personal agenda projects (eg stopping Atiku, impeaching Ladoja etc), let's spend more on educating the voters and develop a sense of confidence in our political election system by upgrading or empowering the election process.

Finally, someone is listening.
Yar'Adua is on the right track; what you see is what you get. Honesty, integrity, dedication and sincerity.
Nigeria is coming back to the top shortly

Nigerian President is here, it's time for business!

@McKren:
Settle down and learn from the best.
This was recommended 6 months ago.
Re: Yar’adua: 2011 Polls Will Be Credible by McKren(m): 4:55pm On Jul 04, 2007
Let us wait and see

If you don't take time Babagana Kingibe will leave office before Ribadu, Nigeria is a Presidential system of Government. We don't do Prime Minister so Kingibe should stop acting like one.

I tell you what OBJ is back, He is not going to make the same mistake he made as a young army general when he handed over power to Shagari and went to sleep and the likes of IBB plotted coup with Buhari and Nigeria wasted 20years as a result.

OBJ is back to guard the Yaradua government because Yaradua must not make the same mistakes Shagari made.
Re: Yar’adua: 2011 Polls Will Be Credible by stanech: 5:07pm On Jul 04, 2007
We are in 2007 this dude is already talking about 2011. You see Nigerians Instead of this guy to focus on how to make the counrty move forward he is talking about 20011. Ok oh another Basket mouth Govenment.

Oh God Please hear the cry of Nigeria PLease cry
Re: Yar’adua: 2011 Polls Will Be Credible by denex: 5:19pm On Jul 04, 2007
My friend, stop this your chop and clean mouth policy. Is the future that far away? Yar has already set down his plans for 2007/2008. So because Nigeria has so many problems, we should not plan for the future abi.

Young fellow, please analyse information before churning out those kinds of statements.

Yar has already made it clear that he will use the next 4 years to move Nigeria towards where it should be in 2020; among the top 20 nations in the world. And we are not going to fall short.

For the first time in about 1000 years, Nigeria has a REAL mission statement. So lets not dwell too much on our part and present, but our future.

God bless Nigeria.
Re: Yar’adua: 2011 Polls Will Be Credible by stanech: 5:33pm On Jul 04, 2007
story Story
AS if na today we start hear mission statement abeg forget that one. How many days don commot from the 4years now. Make una leave matter jare.

All we want to see is the changes, we have had enough of those promises.

We want him to put it into action immediately.
Re: Yar’adua: 2011 Polls Will Be Credible by BigB11(m): 5:45pm On Jul 04, 2007
@stanech: I don't see anything wrong.
It is one of the roles of an effective leader to forecast.

Leadership: you set your short term goals/ long term goals, present the goals along with your already evaluated strategies to the citizens of the nation and then execute.

My Man, if you don't have anything to say, please stay cool and just ready; it's not by force.
It is a crime to speak rubbish just because you have nothing to contribute.
Re: Yar’adua: 2011 Polls Will Be Credible by initiator(m): 6:26pm On Jul 04, 2007
Yaradua has made a couple of nominal moves (or pronouncements) that sell him as a visionary and compassionate leader. BUT nigerians have been sold too many sweet talk to believe this 1 again. I think a modicum of skepticism (not cynicism) is only reasonable at this point.
Re: Yar’adua: 2011 Polls Will Be Credible by azorjiu(m): 7:24pm On Jul 04, 2007
There is every need to start now to plan for 2011. The case of starting preparations at the 11th hours has been the reason for massive failure in our policies. You don't expect him to wait until december 2010 to start the electoral reform.

Our inability to plan ahead of time should be discouraged. In developed countries, changes are proposed, in some cases, 20 ahead of time. That is called long term planning. The bill for ID card was approved in the UK some 2 years ago, but the whole programme will start in 2008. Same as the smoking ban in public places that came into effect last sunday.

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
Re: Yar’adua: 2011 Polls Will Be Credible by naijaking1: 11:43pm On Jul 04, 2007
Yaras reconcialiatroy moves deserve a commendation, but with OBJ very much still around with all his trappings of

dictatorship; this appeal sounds like " if only you can legitimize my government at this moment, I'll make it up to you

come 2011"
Re: Yar’adua: 2011 Polls Will Be Credible by denex: 5:21am On Jul 05, 2007
People keep saying promises. The release of Asari Dokubo from detention which is aimed at ending the Niger Delta crises, so that is a mere promise.

The efforts put on ground to ensure substantial availability of power 2007/2008, even with the newly constructed IPPs that is a promise too abi? Justice in Anambra state is another ordinary promise I guess.

The UNILORIN Lecturers recalled is a promise? Why all these "alakoba" people no go let this country rest.

Somebody is planning for how to make amends for mistakes he has observed but Nigerians say no. It is this same set of Nigerians who are hailing one slowpoke that claims to have invented an e-voting system. So you people are trying to say an individual should be more prepared than the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Do you think all the things Yar has done so far are spontaneous actions? Why won't you people let this country move forward? Which kain "winch" people dey talk like this? Na wah O!

God save Nigeria!
Re: Yar’adua: 2011 Polls Will Be Credible by sartorius(m): 7:23am On Jul 05, 2007
McKren:

If you don't take time Babagana Kingibe will leave office before Ribadu, Nigeria is a Presidential system of Government. We don't do Prime Minister so Kingibe should stop acting like one.

Maybe because ekaette was docile, kingibe has experience, i didnt supprt his appointment earlier but yaradua needs to balance on both sides .

talk is cheap, lets give him time, but the guy has started slowly, after 100 days i dont think we will have achieved anything, i wonder what he is doing with Nepa.
Re: Yar’adua: 2011 Polls Will Be Credible by angel101(f): 10:39am On Jul 11, 2007
So Yaradua has plans for 2011 elections? Fantastic! how about plans to form a govt i.e appoint a cabinet. do we need to wait till 2011 too?

(1) (Reply)

Venezuela Opted Out World Bank & Imf.why Not Nigeria? / The West( Usa & Europe) Prefer Eastafricans Especially "kenyans" To Westafricans / Nigeria: Chief Of Chiefs. Are Africans Going Crazy For A Title ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.