Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,711 members, 7,809,698 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:27 PM

Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) (79014 Views)

Giant Fish Caught In Ibaji, Kogi State (Photos) / Gaboon Viper Killed On Lagos-Ibadan Express / Big Fishes Caught In Ahoada, Rivers State (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by DarkJeddi(m): 4:37pm On Feb 04, 2021
beardedboy:

Sorry, Mr Animal rights!
FYI, only endangered animals need to be protected against extinction. Any other animal can be killed and used for our good especially food.

I don't eat snakes and don't encourage people to eat them for medical reasons.
How do we know the ones endangered and the ones not endangered?

Left to Nigerians,we'll wipe off every living thing on mother earth..
Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by mechanics(m): 4:41pm On Feb 04, 2021
Pepper soup things.
Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by Omolomo4eva(m): 4:41pm On Feb 04, 2021
Omo,see something! Is it dead?
Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by egojeny1(f): 4:43pm On Feb 04, 2021
onuman:

OMG, just one bite on a human being is enough to send the person to the grave.

Are our hospitals having anti-snake venoms?

One northern woman died a short while ago from snake bite.
Even with the anti-venom one can hardly survive a bite.

1 Like

Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by Badonasty(m): 4:45pm On Feb 04, 2021
Oxtertee:

Pop adder kor, apkala disco ni grin

Pop adder kor, apkala disco ni
pop adder kor, pop smoke ni
Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by Rugaria: 4:47pm On Feb 04, 2021
RisenPhoenix1:

How can a dead snake be dangerous?!?
angry angry
If I tell you my experience with a similar viper while visiting the village many years ago, you would think I'm making up the story.. I nearly died! Missed the bite by whiskers.. This type of snakes are very slow with their movements and can feign dead if cornered. That's why old uncles will make sure the head is sliced off before touching any snake..
Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by egojeny1(f): 4:48pm On Feb 04, 2021
Rugaria:

If I tell you my experience with a similar viper while visiting the village many years ago, you would think I'm making up the story.. I nearly died! Missed the bite by whiskers.. This type of snakes are very slow with their movements and can feign dead if cornered. That's why old uncles will make sure the head is sliced off before touching any snake..
Very correct

1 Like

Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by Adakintroy: 4:49pm On Feb 04, 2021
Nackzy:
Pop Adder, in Saner Climes the person that caught this snake and saves the snakes life will be honoured with awards, Then the Snake will be taken to the best Wild Life Conversation to save it from Extinction

Then in this other part of the World the person that Caught the Snake will Sell it to the Highest Bidder, the Buyer will now use it for White Soup and Pounded Yam, Rice Pepper Soup or Correct Stew

What a World we Live In

Do you have any sexually transmitted related sickness, are you a one minute man?, pls do us immediately for solution. We deliver our herbs everywhere in around the country.

Yiu can sell ideals without being a sell_out "sellout"
Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by Adakintroy: 4:49pm On Feb 04, 2021
Nackzy:
Pop Adder, in Saner Climes the person that caught this snake and saves the snakes life will be honoured with awards, Then the Snake will be taken to the best Wild Life Conversation to save it from Extinction

Then in this other part of the World the person that Caught the Snake will Sell it to the Highest Bidder, the Buyer will now use it for White Soup and Pounded Yam, Rice Pepper Soup or Correct Stew

What a World we Live In

Do you have any sexually transmitted related sickness, are you a one minute man?, pls do us immediately for solution. We deliver our herbs everywhere in around the country.

You can sell ideals without being a "sell_out "
Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by egojeny1(f): 4:51pm On Feb 04, 2021
Skepticus:

That's a Gaboon Viper, the snake with the longest fangs in the world. This specimen is big, if it was captured alive (which is very difficult), it will fetch good money for the OP, being sold to snake collectors in the wild. It is scarce and a favourite of these collectors, especially Americans.

A deadly ambush predator, it can wait for more than 8 hours in a motionless position for prey to pass by before it strikes.

It camouflages in dead and dry leaf materials (in the south), sandy areas (in the north) where it comes in contact with humans, mostly farmers and bites for protection. It's quite common in the thick forests of the southwest.

It's cytotoxic venom will bring a man down in 30 minutes.

You sabi ds snake wella. 2nd, 3rd and 4th paragraphs very very correct.

1 Like

Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by lkillbrokehoes: 4:52pm On Feb 04, 2021
Viknat:
30 mins too lengthy but hardly bites, but if you to touch it's tail, u dead. It's bite kills 10 mins at most, if not treated, in ika language it's called ajuani. It can stay in one place for 24 hrs, sleeping
Yeah! they are usually slow and peaceful and unaggressive, they wouldn't attack you unless you step on them and when they bite, it's kind of dangerous, the venom might not kill within 10 minutes like you claimed but the person will have some terrible symptoms ranging from severe shock, intense pains, swellings, uncoordinated movements, defecation, urination, swelling of the tongue and eyelids, convulsions and
unconsciousnes, blistering, bruising, and
necrosis may be extensive. Sudden
hypotension, heart damage, and dyspnoea may occur which are very intense, once someone is bitten by the snake it's better to take anti-venom immediately so that it won't get to such state of intense pains.

2 Likes

Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by AerialMapper: 4:54pm On Feb 04, 2021
Get bit by this snake and you basically bleed from your orifices and will be dead in 15 minutes!!!

What is the head still doing on it? And who is that guy with a death wish petting it
Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by Odetokun3(m): 4:55pm On Feb 04, 2021
Oxtertee:

You are a real niggarrr, I will donate the head & tail to you.

I prefer the neck and small intestine
Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by pacespot(m): 5:02pm On Feb 04, 2021
Skepticus:

That's a Gaboon Viper, the snake with the longest fangs in the world. This specimen is big, if it was captured alive (which is very difficult), it will fetch good money for the OP, being sold to snake collectors in the wild. It is scarce and a favourite of these collectors, especially Americans.

A deadly ambush predator, it can wait for more than 8 hours in a motionless position for prey to pass by before it strikes.

It camouflages in dead and dry leaf materials (in the south), sandy areas (in the north) where it comes in contact with humans, mostly farmers and bites for protection. It's quite common in the thick forests of the southwest.

It's cytotoxic venom will bring a man down in 30 minutes or less.

You've done every analysis of the snake, so I have no further commnet to give. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by CaseSensitive(m): 5:03pm On Feb 04, 2021
This gaboon viper is easily within 14-20 years old

1 Like

Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by toprealman: 5:14pm On Feb 04, 2021
Rugaria:
This thing is sooooooooo dangerous that even when killed, you can't risk bringing your body so close.. that guy is playing with fire...
Like they say, ignorance is bliss.
Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by sylve11: 5:16pm On Feb 04, 2021
Queenlovely:
Yoruba bush meat no dey finish?

I remember years back when I used to visit native doctors, They would cook me against bullets, I ate snake meat for the two weeks I stayed with baba.

Yoruba juju is very effective, I am a witness.
The day kidnappers wanted to nab me.

I refused to go with them, they shot at me, and we're amazed I was still standing. They ran for their dear lives

Snake meat is good protein

Hey God!

Which kind person be this? angry cool
Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by beardedboy(m): 5:18pm On Feb 04, 2021
DarkJeddi:
How do we know the ones endangered and the ones not endangered?

Left to Nigerians,we'll wipe off every living thing on mother earth..
The list is available online. There aren't many endangered animals in Nigeria.

Moreover, we have game and forest reserves like Yankari etc. They're meant to protect endangered animals.
Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by sylve11: 5:21pm On Feb 04, 2021
berrystunn:

Meaning..?

Stop quoting that person.

sad cool
Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by Nobody: 5:27pm On Feb 04, 2021
MyVILLAGEpeople:

But it is also called puff adder
by ignorant people
Gaboon viper has rectangular marks and they are different in the way they attack. Gaboon viper will generally not disturb you unless you disturb it wheras Puff adder is very temperamental. Gaboon viper will bite you and hold on to you till you are dead, Puff Adder will strike you multiple times.

so no they are different snakes and knowing the difference may be the difference between life and death.
Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by Bizriz(m): 6:08pm On Feb 04, 2021
kingbee90:
Oga why not cut off the head of that highly venomous serpent before touching or playing with it?
Gaboon viper is as venomous as the black mamba. A bite can kill a full grown man in less than 30mins.
Chai!!!
That’s not true. They are usually docile and most human bites occur when you step on them. The venom(cytotoxic) is also not very potent.
Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by Bizriz(m): 6:13pm On Feb 04, 2021
isthatso:

by ignorant people
Gaboon viper has rectangular marks and they are different in the way they attack. Gaboon viper will generally not disturb you unless you disturb it wheras Puff adder is very temperamental. Gaboon viper will bite you and hold on to you till you are dead, Puff Adder will strike you multiple times.

so no they are different snakes and knowing the difference may be the difference between life and death.

You’re right, they are two different snakes. You forgot to add that puff adders have a more potent cytotoxic venom
Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by dederocs(m): 6:13pm On Feb 04, 2021
Nackzy:

What a World we Live In

Bro there are no shortages of snakes oh, eating some is allowed cheesy
Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by bigcasava1(m): 6:31pm On Feb 04, 2021
Oxtertee:
First snake thread of the month.

I was about entering the brewery around 8am this morning when I spot a farmer walking pass the brewery entrance with this huge Gabon viper his trap caught on his farm. The asking price for this big meat is just 7k péré.

Uncle cc lala thy lord as done it ooo, St valentine celebration meat don show.
this must be one of those witch in the community
Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by planetx: 6:32pm On Feb 04, 2021
I pity this one touching this highly venomous snake thinking because it seems dead. Even with the head cut off it can still bite
Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by lavenderjade(m): 6:52pm On Feb 04, 2021
Madibah:
Puff adder

Its gaboon viper not puff adder...na so dem dr round fr yansh

Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by Jeezuzpick(m): 6:58pm On Feb 04, 2021
Oxtertee:

Man wey Sabi. Thanks

You saw the name in the thread topic, you still called it puff adder.

It's a GABOON VIPER!!!

The puff adder is smaller and less deadly than this monster.

1 Like

Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by Antoeni(m): 7:00pm On Feb 04, 2021
All the Way From Gabon, what was the Snake doing in Nigeria
Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by AreaFada2: 7:19pm On Feb 04, 2021
Skepticus:

It's cytotoxic venom will bring a man down in 30 minutes or less.

I never knew this type of adder is still even in SW. I thought long extinct in SW and perhaps found from Middle Belt upwards.

It must be very rare in SW. The size shows its a rain forest well fed specimen.

Luckily its not a very aggressive snake like mamba or cobra. But its venom load is herculean from its long deep penetrating fangs. One of the most deadly vipers and one of most deadly snakes.

The Camouflage is scary.

Farmers who use their hands to work the earth are most risk.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by wumi2017(f): 7:27pm On Feb 04, 2021
Oxtertee:

Pop adder kor, apkala disco ni grin

Pop adder kor, apkala disco ni
grin grin
Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by SuyaEater(m): 7:29pm On Feb 04, 2021
People eating venomous snakes. shocked
Re: Big Gaboon Viper Caught In ÌJẸ̀BÚ ODE In Ogun State (Photos) by danietohbadt(m): 7:37pm On Feb 04, 2021
Nackzy:

What a World we Live In

In those saner climes, if this snake bites you, you'll get the best medical attention and survive.

back here, if it bites you, it's the end for you.

Should we rather die for a snake to live?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lady Served With Meat That Looks Like Male Genital At Ghana Restaurant (Photos) / Guinea Fowl: My Dad Bought This Creepy Bird For Christmas / Interesting Facts You Need To Know About "Penis Fish".

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.