Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,060 members, 7,953,198 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:16 PM

Men And Women Are Equal! - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Men And Women Are Equal! (7421 Views)

Men And Women Divorce Over Sex Starvation / Read A Lady's Take On Woman Claiming Equal Rights With Men + Photo / Why Do Men And Women In Diaspora Come To Naija To Marry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by Rottweiler(m): 10:00pm On Jul 10, 2006
The psycophants know themselves. Don't you think so?
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by kheme(m): 10:54am On Jul 14, 2006
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by ademiller(f): 10:58am On Jul 14, 2006
men and women are very equal,u now wat WOMAN means WAT-OUR-MEN-ARE-NOT grin
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by retro(f): 8:09pm On Jul 15, 2006
Men and Women are DEFINATELY not equal. Men are supposed to be in charge, they are the head of the family. Men are more powerful. Sure, women are more sensitive and whatnot but you can't compare a man's strenght to that of a woman's.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by DaHitler(m): 11:08am On Jul 16, 2006
Men and Women are not equal. This is not to be taken as men are superior or inferior. But in public, we owe it to society to say that they are equal.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by Seun(m): 1:01am On Jul 18, 2006
Men and Women are DEFINATELY not equal. Men are supposed to be in charge, they are the head of the family. Men are more powerful. Sure, women are more sensitive and whatnot but you can't compare a man's strenght to that of a woman's.
Your low opinion of womanhood is disgusting. You have been brainwashed.

You cannot be better than what you think women are, so I see you as being an unattractive woman.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by Rhodalyn(f): 1:06am On Jul 18, 2006
First tyme I've actually Seen a Sensible post from U Seun
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by DaHitler(m): 4:06am On Jul 18, 2006
Seun:

You cannot be better than what you think women are, so I see you as being an unattractive woman.

Retro is the most attractive woman I have ever seen. Just because she doesn't subscribe to your conformist ways does not make her unattractive. While my views diverge from hers on this issue, she is entitled to it. Besides, everything she said in her post is true. Wheather or not you like what she said is not relevant.

As far as I am concerned, the ability to carry babies has got to be enough of an equalizer to make up for the difference in strenght. In fact, to be honest, strenght is over rated. Any thing worth doing has little if anything to do with physical strength. cool

For me, when it comes to making decisions, I would rather look at it from the perspective of specialization. There is no reason for you to split money-investment decisions with your wife if you have a degree in economics and she has a degree in interior decorating. e.t.c.

Seun, it's ironic that you, out of all people, would comment about unattractiveness based on low opinion of self. Of course, you are the same Seun that feels that nothing is worth dieing for. The same Seun that does not believe in loss of life for the betterment of tomorrow. If all Africans were like you, we would still be in colonies. Your views are the most disgusting and hideous thing I have ever come across. My stomach turns in disgust every time I watch you attempt to rationalize your views which I can only describe as whoring to the highest level. Whoring for the preservation of life. Lets not forget where we stand before we go about criticizing the opinions of others.

Show your courage, my friend. Don't delete this post. cool
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by retro(f): 8:45am On Jul 18, 2006
Seun:

What the Bleep? And you consider yourself as being attractive? Come on! You are disgusting. Just because I don't think men and women are equal that makes me unattractive? How old are you? 12? Better yet, 5? People DO NOT have to agree on the same issue.
Because of your stupidity, I see you as being an irresponsible and unattractive man (personality wise) because physically, you already are.

Afeni, I think I'm going to get banned from this. Apparently, he can't take criticism.

Rhodalyn:

First tyme I've actually Seen a Sensible post from U Seun

If I were you, Seun, I'd consider Rhodalyn's post as being offensive because she takes sides with you. But since I'm not (THANK SATAN), I'd say that she's entitled to her opinion. If she finds some sense in your post, so be it. I won't call her stupid or irresponsible like you are.
I'm pretty much sure you won't get anywhere with your attitude, Seun.

I actually like Rhodalyn.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by IAH(f): 2:07pm On Jul 18, 2006
Afeni:

Seun, it's ironic that you, out of all people, would comment about unattractiveness based on low opinion of self. Of course, you are the same Seun that feels that nothing is worth dieing for. The same Seun that does not believe in loss of life for the betterment of tomorrow. If all Africans were like you, we would still be in colonies. Your views are the most disgusting and hideous thing I have ever come across. My stomach turns in disgust every time I watch you attempt to rationalize your views which I can only describe as whoring to the highest level. Whoring for the preservation of life. Lets not forget where we stand before we go about criticizing the opinions of others.

Show your courage, my friend. Don't delete this post. cool

On my thread? Vegetable Kingdom! shocked
This is offtopic and reeks of personal grudges. And you don't want it deleted? It sure is going to be deleted or what do you expect? It's just like slapping someone and expecting him/her to look on like a dummy without taking any actions, especially when the issue DID NOT concern you in the first place before you jumped in. cool

1 Like

Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by kellorah: 3:33pm On Jul 18, 2006
lol@ IAH
vegetable kingdom!!!!!!!!!!! lmao grin cheesy
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by retro(f): 3:45pm On Jul 18, 2006
Vegetable Kingdom? What's that? It sounds funny though.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by kellorah: 3:46pm On Jul 18, 2006
it was used in a drama, and since then, people have used it as an expression
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by goodguy(m): 8:21pm On Jul 18, 2006
Seun, your post (attack) against retro was totally uncalled for.  The fact that she doesn't share the same views with you, gives you no right, whatsoever, to make such a statement concerning her. 

Also, I find it somewhat difficult to comprehend the statement, "You have been brainwashed".  Brainwashed by what? Lest we forget, she's agnostic and does not read the Bible, else, it would have been understandable if you had said she has been brainwashed by the Bible (or Christianity), looking at it from your own atheistic point of view.

Moreso, she does not live in Nigeria, or anywhere in Africa, else, it would have been thought sensible if you had said she has been brainwashed by the African (Nigerian) mentality.   

However, whatever you think of her (whether disgusting or unattractive) does not change the fact that she said the blatant truth in her post; no matter how you see it.

Peace. . . cool
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by retro(f): 8:45pm On Jul 18, 2006
goodguy:

Seun, your post (attack) against retro was totally uncalled for. The fact that she doesn't share the same views with you, gives you no right, whatsoever, to make such a statement concerning her.

Also, I find it somewhat difficult to comprehend the statement, "You have been brainwashed". Brainwashed by what? Lest we forget, she's agnostic and does not read the Bible, else, it would have been understandable if you had said she has been brainwashed by the Bible (or Christianity), looking at it from your own atheistic point of view.

Moreso, she does not live in Nigeria, or anywhere in Africa, else, it would have been thought sensible if you had said she has been brainwashed by the African (Nigerian) mentality.

However, whatever you think of her (whether disgusting or unattractive) does not change the fact that she said the blatant truth in her post; no matter how you see it.

Peace. . . cool

Wow. You know so much about me. Anyways, phew! I couldn't have said it better.

Apparently, I'm in the minority in everything. I might be the only woman on this forum who thinks that men and women aren't equal.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by WesleyanA(f): 8:53pm On Jul 18, 2006
men and women aren't equal (obviously) but they should be.
And they will be. . . with time.

i see people are confusing "equal" with physical strength and gender characteristics when in fact what "equal" means is economical, social, educattional e.t.c equality.
men shouldn't be paid more than women for the same amount of work and likewise, women (in certain countries) shouldn't be denied healthcare and education solely because of their gender.

and whoever said men are supposed to be in charge is wrong. women can be in charge too.
It's because of these kind of view that there are few female leaders in the world.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by retro(f): 9:02pm On Jul 18, 2006
WesleyanA:

men and women aren't equal (obviously) but they should be.
And they will be. . . with time.

i see people are confusing "equal" with physical strength and gender characteristics when in fact what "equal" means is economical, social, educattional e.t.c equality.
men shouldn't be paid more than women for the same amount of work and likewise, women (in certain countries) shouldn't be denied healthcare and education solely because of their gender.

I agree with you on every single word except for:
and whoever said men are supposed to be in charge is wrong. women can be in charge too.
It's because of these kind of view that there are few female leaders in the world.

I wouldn't want to live in a country that is being ran by a woman.

Anyways, if men and women are so equal, I'd love to know why men get higher salaries. People should be realistic here, I know women want to believe that both genders are equal but HELLO?
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by WesleyanA(f): 9:13pm On Jul 18, 2006
retro:

I agree with you on every single word except for:
I wouldn't want to live in a country that is being ran by a woman.

now you're misquoting me.
I never said anything about men being subordinate to women. I said EQUALITY meaning 50/50. for every male leader there should be a female leader or something about that. I won't even be mad if the ratio was 1 to 1.7 as long as it's close and i know i'm not being deprived or my place isn't being taken by my male counterpart.

of course it'll be terrible for women to run the world. just as it is for men to run the world. then the men would be creating threads like this.

Anyways, if men and women are so equal, I'd love to know why men get higher salaries.

there's a gender bias. that's why.
men and women aren't equal but they should be.
I'm not complaining much though because I know that things are getting better.
at least women now can become doctors and take on professional careers unlike before where those areas were closed to men only.
women were just expected to sit at home and baby feed because they're "sensitive."
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by retro(f): 9:26pm On Jul 18, 2006
WesleyanA:

now you're misquoting me.

You actually missunderstood my post.

WesleyanA:

men and women aren't equal but they should be.

My point exactly.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by WesleyanA(f): 10:15pm On Jul 18, 2006
ok my mistake then. smiley
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by goodguy(m): 10:24pm On Jul 18, 2006
WesleyanA:

I think the issue of 'someone being in charge' should be properly explained here.  Should a man always be in charge simply because he's a man?  Shouldn't his ability to be in charge, also count?  Same applies to a woman too.  

However, since strength (in all ramifications) is usually possessed more by a man, it is usually sensible for a man to be in charge; which of course has been the norm for ages now.  But note that I do not object to women being in charge, provided she's capable of actually being in charge.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by IAH(f): 10:45pm On Jul 18, 2006
goodguy:

However, since strength (in all ramifications) is usually possessed more by a man.

Please back up your claim. How is strength in all ramifications usually possessed more by men? As far as I am concerned, it's only physical strength you men possess more than some (not even all) women, this doesn't count much anyway.
Is it Strength of Character?
Strength of reasoning?
Strength of will?
Strength of excellence?
Emotional Strength? (hmm maybe you are right about this one wink)

or is it Shear Strength, Tensile strength, compressive strength, strength of materials (just pulling your legs here cheesy).

Please clarify the strengths you men possess more than women with good back-ups.

1 Like

Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by WesleyanA(f): 10:51pm On Jul 18, 2006
goodguy:

I think the issue of 'someone being in charge' should be properly explained here.  Should a man always be in charge simply because he's a man?  Shouldn't his ability to be in charge, also count?  Same applies to a woman too.

Exactly!!
gender shouldn't be a dictator of who should be in charge.
If a man is qualified to be a  senator, let him be. And if a woman is qualified, ler her be. I heard someone on this site say that he'll disown his daughter if she follows a political career path. That's gender bias.

look at it this way:
If you owned a company and are hiring to only one position. Two candidates with the same qualifications come up to you, it'll be bias to hire the male over the female just like it'll be bias to hire the female over the male.

for me, the deciding factor will be the dedication they have for the company and their moral character.

However, since strength (in all ramifications) is usually possessed more by a man, it is usually sensible for a man to be in charge; which of course has been the norm for ages now.  But note that I do not object to women being in charge, provided she's capable of actually being in charge.  

WRONG!!!!
It is assumed (because of the kind of world we live in) that men are the kings with all the strenght while women are the weaklings.
If that was true, there won't be any female professionals. don't these jobs require strenght? we're not just tralking physical here.
It's been the norm for ages but it's changing. You know it is.
Women are capable of being in charge if they are nurtured right and encouraged.
If you tell a boy from birth that he was adopted he will grow up to believe it. likewise if you tell a girl from birth that she has no place in a male dominated society, she'll grow up to believe it.

Today in the united states, many of the women who to on to become congresswomen and recognized leaders are graduates from all women colleges (i.e Smith College, Holyoke e.t.c) they recieved their education in an enviroment where they are nurtured and instilled with leadership skills where in other schools only men get.
I'm thinking of applying to Smith for college but I heard that it's the school for "Nations brightest lesbians"  lipsrsealed so id aid no thank you. lol
many turn straight when they graduate though and face the society strong and determined.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by goodguy(m): 11:22pm On Jul 18, 2006
@IAH, please note that I am generalising here so I expect you to understand me better.

So generally speaking, men are naturally stronger than women in all the categories of strength you listed up there. wink

@Wesley, I understand where you're coming from.  However, the technology around us alone shows what men are more capable of doing.  Nonetheless, this is not to say the women are not capable of doing the same, or even better; but the fact remains that they are fewer.  Afterall, it's not like they're not being given the chance.  Take Nairaland for example; no particular gender is restricted to any board at all.  But then, all serious-minded boards are usually occupied by the males more.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by WesleyanA(f): 11:35pm On Jul 18, 2006
goodguy:

@Wesley, I understand where you're coming from. However, the technology around us alone shows what men are more capable of doing. Nonetheless, this is not to say the women are not capable of doing the same, or even better; but the fact remains that they are fewer. Afterall, it's not like they're being given the chance. Take Nairaland for example; no particular gender is restricted to any board at all. But then, all serious-minded boards are usually occupied by the males more.

As i said earlier, when i say "equal" i don't mean physical strength because i know men generally have a stronger build than females.
men aren't more capable of doing things than women.
First of all, what are the serious-minded boards you're referring to?
sports? Most of the sports esp in Nigeria and Africa are male dominated so i don't see why women should take more imterest.
Technology? Again this area is male dominated. That's why many schools are encouraging women to follow engineering career paths. And yeah women participation in this area is increasing.
who knows 100 years from now, there will be just as many female engineers as male.
(in the past, only males were school teachers now that has changed)

"Women today make up less than 20 percent of students enrolled in engineering, on average, and comprise less than 9 percent of the engineering workforce. (1) These percentages are much better than they were 25 years ago. The mid- to late 1970s saw dramatic increases in women’s enrollment in engineering school and entry into the workforce."
http://www.nae.edu/NAE/naehome.nsf/weblinks/NAEW-4NHMH2?OpenDocument

If men however continue to say that women are weak and have to business in serious areas. and if women continue to beieve that their role ends in the kitchen and in breastfeeding . . i'm sorry but things won't change.

we're working towards it and with time, maybe not in my lifetime, there will be just as many women as men in most specialities.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by goodguy(m): 11:54pm On Jul 18, 2006
Good luck! cheesy
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by WesleyanA(f): 11:59pm On Jul 18, 2006
good luck in what? 

One thing I forgot to add:
The more advanced a culture gets, the closer the gender gap.
and for the less developed countries, the gender gap is as wide as something else.

so maybe you should visit a western forum and you might see an increasing female contribution to "serious" threads.

Gender equality does not mean that men and women become the same, but that their opportunities and life chances are equal."
In short, gender equality means that women and men enjoy the same status.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by IAH(f): 12:08am On Jul 19, 2006
goodguy:

Take Nairaland for example; no particular gender is restricted to any board at all. But then, all serious-minded boards are usually occupied by the males more.

Ouch! That was harsh but true lol. angry cheesy

Like Wesley said, things are changing. In my former school, we females in my class outnumbered the males! cheesy That was Medicine. It was actually a record because it had never happened before.
I think it's only engineering that females are yet to really break into. For example, we are only 5 in my present class.

1 Like

Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by WesleyanA(f): 12:11am On Jul 19, 2006
IAH:

Ouch! That was harsh but true lol. angry cheesy

Like Wesley said, things are changing. In my former school, we females in my class outnumbered the males! cheesy That was Medicine. It was actually a record because it had never happened before.
I think it's only engineering that females are yet to really break into. For example, we are only 5 in my present class.

true talk.

there are more females than males in colleges presently. i think it's 57% to 43% ratio. but it's true!!
things are changing!!
we're not in the 16th century anymore where all women do is breastfeed.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by faa(f): 3:38pm On Jul 19, 2006
Physically, men are more powerful than women but nowadays, Some women are much more intelligent.They take care of the kids and at the same time keep a full time job. They know what they want and go for it. She could make a man her pawn whenever, wherever and however she wants to. Men all you have to do is pray that you are surrounded by nice women.
This "difference" also depends on both sexes background and upbringing. If the woman is brought with a sense of sureness and confidence she could be more challenging than a man and vice versa.
I think in reality the "equal" issue is going to fall short of what society has made it to sound like theoretically. There can never be a balance b/w men and women.
Men and women are not equal.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by diddy4(m): 4:45pm On Jul 19, 2006
a woman taking care of kids and working a full time job doesnt make her intelligent. no, it makes her hardworking.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by retro(f): 5:34pm On Jul 19, 2006
How can you be hardworking but not intelligent? A hardworking person is intelligent.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

A Racial-marriage Problem! / Can You Describe Your Childhood In 1 Word? / Mbaise People And Bride Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.