Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,790 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

Who Should Apologise First? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Should Apologise First? (1538 Views)

I Had A Fight With My Married Younger Brother, I refused to Apologise / My Wife Doesn't Apologise For Anything.. I'm Tired / The Moment You Kneel Down To Apologise To Your Wife, You Become The Woman! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Should Apologise First? by Lateralmaths(m): 3:37am On Feb 07, 2021
Hello married folks.

How do you handle offences in your marriage? Who usually apologises first, do you apologise only when you know you are wrong?

How do you handle a spouse who refuses to apologise?

Also how do you respond to a spouse who feels that your apology is not enough and possibly wants to to also add a walk of shame each time you apologise?

Please share your thoughts and experiences.
Re: Who Should Apologise First? by 9jaBloke: 3:53am On Feb 07, 2021
Maturity, Tolerance, Communication, God and very importantly, love.

Everything else will fall into place

1 Like

Re: Who Should Apologise First? by Nobody: 4:06am On Feb 07, 2021
Op, I apologise not because I am guilty , not because I am a coward not because I don't know my right , I apologise because I want peace, I apologise to show you my humility and love...........ABOVE ALL I ADVISE MEN & WOMEN WHO WHO HAVE NO YET MARRIED to study their supposing wife to be, any man who is always right is not a husband and any woman who is always right is not a wife, learn to tell each other I am sorry whenever you are wrong, it is not the soul responsibility of man or woman to be saying I am sorry If any is wrong learn to say I am sorry.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Should Apologise First? by taiwoowiat: 4:15am On Feb 07, 2021
supportnija:
Op, I apologise not because I am guilty , not because I am a coward not because I don't know my right , I apologise because I want peace, I apologise to show you my humility and love...........ABOVE ALL I ADVISE MEN & WOMEN WHO WHO HAVE NO YET MARRIED to study their supposing wife to be, any man who is always right is not a husband and any woman who is always right is not a wife, learn to tell each other I am sorry whenever you are wrong, it is not the soul responsibility of man or woman to be saying I am sorry If any is wrong learn to say I am sorry.

You have said it all.

More wisdom
Re: Who Should Apologise First? by Freestainworld(m): 4:20am On Feb 07, 2021
I apologise when necessary, if I found out that I am at fault, I dare not do that when I am on the right side, thank God, my wife understands me too, she equally apologize if she offends me too. Don't over pamper your spouse in the name of love or for peace to reign connotations, sometimes it is good to disagree in other to agree.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Should Apologise First? by JayEntaur(m): 4:27am On Feb 07, 2021
It's not set in stone. The bigger / less petty person always apologizes first. Inner peace is always more valuable than bearing grudges.

The scenario you painted is quite toxic and should be trashed out with a heart to heart.
Re: Who Should Apologise First? by Oyiboman69: 6:04am On Feb 07, 2021
Apologies soothes the heart...learn how to apologize where you're wrong and gladly accept an apology when you're wronged....
Re: Who Should Apologise First? by Nobody: 6:39am On Feb 07, 2021
Men should learn and try to apologize first in most issues, they should learn to appreciate women
Re: Who Should Apologise First? by HarunaWest(m): 6:49am On Feb 07, 2021
Zzor:
Men should learn and try to apologize first in most issues, they should learn to appreciate women
so even if the lady in question erred the man should always apologize ba?..
wawa
Re: Who Should Apologise First? by Nobody: 6:55am On Feb 07, 2021
HarunaWest:

so even if the lady in question erred the man should always apologize ba?..
wawa
You African men are so annoying its such a big stress dating you lots ewww

1 Like

Re: Who Should Apologise First? by Richy4(m): 6:57am On Feb 07, 2021
supportnija:

I don't mean to quote you here but did because of the bold.. But don't u think it's safe to dish out a realistic advice so that you don't put a lot of brothers and sisters into confusion..

Are you indirectly saying that assuming a Brother is working and the wife is a stay at home mum with one kid,.. The Bro came back from work and no food because the wife was very busy watching a programme she usually follow on TV..... Didn't pick the kid from school.. the man has to rush to his kid's school and pick him up.. The man should apologize to her because he wants peace?

On the other hand, Are you saying that it is Ok for a woman who discovered that her husband was cheating on her without protection, Got an apartment for the side chick and stay out very late should go down on her knees and apologize to the man because he is the breadwinner of the home?.. and because she wants peace?

If as a man, your married son/ daughter came back on a good day and narrated some of this stories... and how it has been happening constantly, and that he/ she has been apologizing for peace to reign, will you be happy and proud?

1 Like

Re: Who Should Apologise First? by Nobody: 6:58am On Feb 07, 2021
Zzor:
na man matter go kill you las las.

After church today you’ll still go and take dlck

1 Like

Re: Who Should Apologise First? by HarunaWest(m): 7:00am On Feb 07, 2021
Zzor:
Wehdone ooo European Woman

1 Like

Re: Who Should Apologise First? by Yusufisraelj(m): 7:20am On Feb 07, 2021
Richy4:

I don't mean to quote you here but did because of the bold.. But don't u think it's save to dish out a realistic advice so that you don't put a lot of brothers and sisters into confusion..

Are you indirectly saying that assuming a Brother is working and the wife is a stay at home mum with one kid,.. The Bro came back from work and no food because the wife was very busy watching a programme she usually follow on TV..... Didn't pick the kid from school.. the man has to rush to his kid's school and pick him up.. The man should apologize to her because he wants peace?

On the other hand, Are you saying that it is Ok for a woman who discovered that her husband was cheating on her without protection, Got an apartment for the side chick and stay at out very late should go down on her knees and apologize to the man because he is the breadwinner of the home?.. and because she wants peace?

If as a man, your son/ daughter came back on a good day and narrated some of this stories... and how it has been happening constantly, and that he/ she has been apologizing for peace to reign, will you be happy and proud?

Get his context, the goal is to see through a situation that will lead to both parties holding onto their ego, and silently the issue will degenerate into not talking, two people living under a roof but no love, no communication, no respect until they find solace outside and infidelity begins and before you know the marriage is history.

The context you are bringing has to do with fundamental character problems not offenses in a home where the two are locked on each other.

Secondly the way a child should handle wrong confrontation is different from the way you are painting it, for a child it has to do with a situation being right or wrong and advising them to avoid fights. It's a different ball game than in a marriage setting.

Even more importantly no one in a relationship should be a door mat, one must have his or her do's and don't, and it should be clear to the other party.

Apologising first does not make anyone weak, being taken for granted does, it's different and should be dealt with appropriately. Apologising first means the union matters more than anything else, and sincerely it does.

1 Like

Re: Who Should Apologise First? by Richy4(m): 8:21am On Feb 07, 2021
Yusufisraelj:

Get his context, the goal is to see through a situation that will lead to both parties holding onto their ego, and silently the issue will degenerate into not talking, two people living under a roof but no love, no communication, no respect until they find solace outside and infidelity begins and before you know the marriage is history.

The context you are bringing has to do with fundamental character problems not offenses in a home where the two are locked on each other.

Secondly the way a child should handle wrong confrontation is different from the way you are painting it, for a child it has to do with a situation being right or wrong and advising them to avoid fights. It's a different ball game than in a marriage setting.

Even more importantly no one in a relationship should be a door mat, one must have his or her do's and don't, and it should be clear to the other party.

Apologising first does not make anyone weak, being taken for granted does, it's different and should be dealt with appropriately. Apologising first means the union matters more than anything else, and sincerely it does.

@ Bold... You really got my attention there...Oh!!! So the context I presented cannot be classified as an offence but character problem because by so doing, no one was offended by it/ no offence was taken correct?...I got you buddy...I whole heartedly understand cheesy...

Also, you mentioned something that I loved so much... you said and I quote "no one in a relationship should be a door mat, one must have his or her do's and don't, and it should be clear to the other party.".. After all is said and done, he/ she did those "don't..", And you as the spouse jumped in to apologize first because you don't want to appear weak in that relationship, Have u not made yourself a door mat? whatever happens to accepting responsibilities?

I thought that this nollywood movies I see on YouTube was a make believe.. Where a man/ woman will keep doing something to their spouse..to an extent of irritating the viewers and u see the spouse going to apologize.. when they have done practically nothing... Hmmm!!!

Anyways, Good luck with it.. I was not raised to be stupid and I will not start now.. Anyone that wronged me should apologize.. and If I wronged anyone, I will apologize.. That's how it works in my own book.. Everyone needs peace and we don't have to play the fool just to achieve that..
No one, no matter how you pretend to want peace like a spouse that plays over his/her intelligence... Those that pretends and are quick to apologies even when they did nothing wrong, I see them as a ticking timebomb.. when they explode, the spouse won't know what hits them... To be real is just the best option for me..
Re: Who Should Apologise First? by milann: 8:57am On Feb 07, 2021
Whoever is wrong should apologise first. A situation whereby my wife annoyed me and on top of that disrespect me will not be taken lightly. She must go down on her knees or else heaven will fall

1 Like

Re: Who Should Apologise First? by BlackMamba69(m): 9:07am On Feb 07, 2021
Zzor:

So they finally released you from your one month ban grin

1 Like

Re: Who Should Apologise First? by fayded(m): 9:23am On Feb 07, 2021
Zzor:

Whenever u post sumfn u always find a way to talk rubbish. were u born in a dumpster??
Re: Who Should Apologise First? by Yusufisraelj(m): 12:51pm On Feb 07, 2021
Richy4:

@ Bold... You really got my attention there...Oh!!! So the context I presented cannot be classified as an offence but character problem because by so doing, no one was offended by it/ no offence was taken correct?...I got you buddy...I whole heartedly understand cheesy...

Also, you mentioned something that I loved so much... you said and I quote "no one in a relationship should be a door mat, one must have his or her do's and don't, and it should be clear to the other party.".. After all is said and done, he/ she did those "don't..", And you as the spouse jumped in to apologize first because you don't want to appear weak in that relationship, Have u not made yourself a door mat? whatever happens to accepting responsibilities?

I thought that this nollywood movies I see on YouTube was a make believe.. Where a man/ woman will keep doing something to their spouse..to an extent of irritating the viewers and u see the spouse going to apologize.. when they have done practically nothing... Hmmm!!!

Anyways, Good luck with it.. I was not raised to be stupid and I will not start now.. Anyone that wronged me should apologize.. and If I wronged anyone, I will apologize.. That's how it works in my own book.. Everyone needs peace and we don't have to play the fool just to achieve that..
No one, no matter how you pretend to want peace like a spouse that plays over his/her intelligence... Those that pretends and are quick to apologies even when they did nothing wrong, I see them as a ticking timebomb.. when they explode, the spouse won't know what hits them... To be real is just the best option for me..

I so so much agree with your last paragraph, it is nothing but the truth.

You see in a relationship where the two parties seeks out the interest of the other first, this issue of apology for misgivings will follow your narrative, nobody should be forced to apologize bkos the interest of the other party matter more and in that case an unreserved apology is the best course of action from the faulting partner even without being told.

The challenge these days is that a guys seeks his interest first before his lady's and like wise the lady her interest before her man. Then they get married. Wahala for this kind arrangement.

In this case he has seen that he married a child rather than a wife or vice versa, for them to seriously correct the other and make them grow quick to accept responsibilities, there will be a lot of "playing the fools role" from the matured party, hence our context of apologising first.

Is not keep apologising like a fool, even when you are right, it's seeking a ground for the relationship to thrive, by that apology comes sound correction from the place of love and authority, and if truly the faulting party loves, they will change for the better.

I love your approach to the matter, but you see my brother this marriage thing no be black and white, a lot of factors is in play.

Am not married, but I've seen many hit the rocks bkos they held unto what is right only and will not bulge, being right and bowing for a better change or for losing the battle and ultimately wining the war only makes you a wise and strategic partner. Happy Sunday
Re: Who Should Apologise First? by sisisioge: 1:14pm On Feb 07, 2021
My dispute resolution template...

Identified issue......complaint without animosity....discussion/coaching/establish understanding....apology from eering party.....acceptance....make up.

Issue resolved.

Only block heads will refuse to express their minds or even acknowledge their errors. Those kind of people make life unnecessarily stressful thus reducing the lifespan of everyone involved with them. May God and His host of angels keep those kinds of wereys fa from us o grin grin

1 Like

Re: Who Should Apologise First? by lkillbrokehoes: 1:54pm On Feb 07, 2021
Zzor:
cheesycheesycheesy
Re: Who Should Apologise First? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Feb 07, 2021
The wife must always apologise, if for nothing else other than bringing disharmony and stressful thoughts to the head of the family and disturbing his inner peace. She should know how to resolve conflict without openly opposing her oga at the top and provoking a fight.

That is the mark of a good woman, not the one who is ever ready to tie her wrapper firmly and pick up the yam pestle in defence of her opinion.
Re: Who Should Apologise First? by Richy4(m): 3:41pm On Feb 07, 2021
RisenPhoenix1:
The wife must always apologise, if for nothing else other than bringing disharmony and stressful thoughts to the head of the family and disturbing his inner peace. She should know how to resolve conflict without openly opposing her oga at the top and provoking a fight.

That is the mark of a good woman, not the one who is ever ready to tie her wrapper firmly and pick up the yam pestle in defence of her opinion.

grin grin..
Are you ready for what is coming to u on this thread within some minutes?
Re: Who Should Apologise First? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Feb 07, 2021
Richy4:

grin grin..
Are you ready for what is coming to u on this thread within some minutes?

Excuse me?

If you're talking about the normal usual gaggle of wannabe feminists on NL, they probably know it to be true (or at least the less blind ones do). In any case, I'm not replying to anybody on this thread after this. I've answered the op and that is that.

Thread unfollowed.
Re: Who Should Apologise First? by Nobody: 4:25pm On Feb 07, 2021
Marriage is not for babies. I don't mean babies by age but mentally. Then spiritual maturity is key w thing to look out for in who ever you're getting married to.

I don't see why apologising and forgiving a wrong should be a big deal if we truly understand the word of God and what it says about forgiveness and anger lying in the bossom of a fool.

As spouses, it is something that should be constantly done with ease to prevent the devil from penetrating your marriage seeing the edge is broken through strife and malice.

My advice, apologize whenever you're wrong and be willing to forgive when your spouse is at wrong. Even if she doesn't apologize, learn to forgive and let go. Don't hold on until he or she apologizes.

1 Like

Re: Who Should Apologise First? by mosdii(m): 5:01pm On Feb 07, 2021
Nigerian Girls Are Useless...All Of Them
Re: Who Should Apologise First? by Regex: 6:15pm On Feb 07, 2021
It will depend on the kind of offence. But none is treated carelessly.
Re: Who Should Apologise First? by Regex: 6:21pm On Feb 07, 2021
Zzor:

If it wouldn't be Zzor...

Anyway, that's for your gentleman, loving wanna be men
Re: Who Should Apologise First? by crackhaus: 6:56pm On Feb 07, 2021
The person who did wrong ought to apologize first.

NEVER apologize for something you're not responsible for, because that's how one starts losing their sense of belonging.
Doing such may seem like maturity, but don't kid yourself – it will kill your confidence and self-esteem gradually if you keep apologizing when you're not wrong just because you want to seek peace.

The problem however, is that most people (male & female) don't ever realize when they're wrong, they're usually so caught up in their own feelings.

The above isn't a big issue though as long as communication (effective communication) can be established.
This is what will help couples identify who exactly threw the first punch, and then the apologies can start from there onward.

5 Likes

Re: Who Should Apologise First? by mutter(f): 9:46pm On Feb 07, 2021
I apologise when I am wrong.
Most cases both parties have a blame... In such a case I will apologise first to give my husband the chance to apologise too.
When he wrongs me, I insist on my apology.
I will forgive but it's only fair to apologise.
What I wouldn't do is to deprive him of my functions as a wife but I'll be very withdrawn.
Re: Who Should Apologise First? by Nobody: 11:59pm On Feb 07, 2021
The person that's in the wrong.

(1) (Reply)

Beggarly Attitude Of A Woman In My Church / / * Happy Marriage & Family:keys To Joyful Marriage And Happy Families

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.