Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,214 members, 7,818,725 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:06 PM

Stubborn Check Emission System! (50k bounty) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Stubborn Check Emission System! (50k bounty) (1176 Views)

Hyundai Puts Some1 In Exhaust-filled Bubble To Show How Clean Nexo's Emission Is / University Of Lagos To Unveil A Zero-Emission Car / Lady Stops Her Car To Chase Stubborn Windscreen Cleaner Away In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stubborn Check Emission System! (50k bounty) by Kelvin30286063(m): 12:13pm On Feb 07, 2021
So I have been driving this car for 1 year now. Engine light was on when I bought it tokunbo February last year but I felt it was something I can easily fix since I know what the problem is.

Now fast forward to 1 year later, the check engine light is still on and over the last 12 months, I have done everything humanly possible to remove the course of this issue which is the warning displaced on my vehicle message screen... CHECK EMISSION SYSTEM!
When I remove the battery heads, the check emission system warning disappears and the check engine light goes off but as soon as I turn off the engine and start the vehicle again. Both of them come back starting with the check emission system!

At first when I started trying, i was changing little things like filter, then I connected the pipes properly and all but no luck then I decided to change the entire filter box. Also asked a mechanic to clean somethings and many other things I tried!

Over the 1 year period, the car drives great. No stall, drips water when I start it in the morning and sounds wonderful but seeing that check engine light and the check emission system message every morning gives me sadness. I ran a scan a few times and it always come up with nothing. Recently I had to drive 2 hours to a technician I was told has a very expensive scanner that can detect almost any fault. He did a scan for me and said I should change my o2 sensors. I was happy, thinking the end has finally come to this problem so I bought all 3 o2 sensors attached to the front, back and exhaust!
We changed them, but lo and behold.... Check engine! Check emission system! I give up!

I even tested my catalytic converter to be sure it's okay and it's all fine! I bought this car with a very low mile age of 49k and I'm shocked that this issue will persist for this long.

You know what! I'm putting a bounty on its head. If you can fix this CHECK EMISSION SYSTEM in this car, I'll give you 50k extra. Apart from the price of the things you'll buy oo.
Re: Stubborn Check Emission System! (50k bounty) by weyreypey: 12:29pm On Feb 07, 2021
Kelvin30286063:
So I have been driving this car for 1 year now. Engine light was on when I bought it tokunbo February last year but I felt it was something I can easily fix.

Now fast forward to 1 year later, the check engine light is still on and over the last 12 months, I have done everything humanly possible to remove the course of this issue which is the warning displaced on my vehicle message screen... CHECK EMISSION SYSTEM!
When I remove the battery heads, the check emission system warning disappears and the check engine light goes off but as soon as I turn off the engine and start the vehicle again. Both of them come back starting with the check emission system!

At first when I started trying, i was changing little things like filter, then I connected the pipes properly and all but no luck then I decided to change the entire filter box. Also asked a mechanic to clean somethings and many other things I tried!

Over the 1 year period, the car drives great. No stall, drips water when I start it in the morning and sounds wonderful but seeing that check engine light and the check emission system message every morning gives me sadness. I ran a scan a few times and it always come up with nothing. Recently I had to drive 2 hours to a technician I was told has a very expensive scanner that can detect almost any fault. He did a scan for me and said I should change my o2 sensors. I was happy, thinking the end has finally come to this problem so I bought all 3 o2 sensors attached to the front, back and exhaust!
We changed them, but lo and behold.... Check engine! Check emission system! I give up!

I even tested my catalyst converter to be sure it's okay and it's all fine! I bought this car with a very low mile age of 49k and I'm shocked that this issue will persist for this long.

You know what! I'm putting a bounty on its head. If you can fix this CHECK EMISSION SYSTEM in this car, I'll give you 50k extra. Apart from the price of the things you'll buy oo.
Another problem....
Cc
Diportivo
Re: Stubborn Check Emission System! (50k bounty) by sultaan(m): 12:47pm On Feb 07, 2021
The first problem is you started towing money at it without knowing whey, was wrong

A very good scanner is worth about N50k
You still don't have a code in hand that says what the problem is with your 2021 Cadillac

49K miles? grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Stubborn Check Emission System! (50k bounty) by Kelvin30286063(m): 12:51pm On Feb 07, 2021
sultaan:
The first problem is you started towing money at it without knowing whey, was wrong

A very good scanner is worth about N50k
You still don't have a code in hand that says what the problem is with your 2021 Cadillac

49K miles? grin grin grin
Not a 2021 Cadillac oga. It's a 2012 Acura TL. And I'm certain about the mile age cuz I bought the car myself. Not through a dealer here.
No I don't have the code, I was not given the code at the last scanning I did. He showed me and asked me to take a picture of it but silly me was on whatsapp, I mistakenly took the picture with my whatsapp status then pressed back later. Sadly I had already left his place. But he told me the code says I should check O2 sensors
Re: Stubborn Check Emission System! (50k bounty) by Kingdemu: 1:09pm On Feb 07, 2021
Where's your location?
Re: Stubborn Check Emission System! (50k bounty) by Privatepart00: 1:09pm On Feb 07, 2021
@ kelvin30286063
Hope you are using the engine oil recommended for the Acura TL model ?
Check your manual for the right engine oil to be used .
Re: Stubborn Check Emission System! (50k bounty) by Kelvin30286063(m): 1:20pm On Feb 07, 2021
Privatepart00:
@ kelvin30286063
Hope you are using the engine oil recommended for the Acura TL model ?
Check your manual for the right engine oil to be used .
No I'm not but I'm using the closest relative to the oil cuz it's almost impossible to get the recommended one.
The recommended oil on the engine cap is SAE 0W-20 but I don't get that at Total so I use SAE 0W-30 all the time. I f you're suggesting I use the exact oil recommended then that will be difficult cuz I looked everywhere for it before I decided to go for the closest relative. Total said they don't produce that for Africa. Don't know how true that is.
Re: Stubborn Check Emission System! (50k bounty) by Kelvin30286063(m): 1:22pm On Feb 07, 2021
Kingdemu:
Where's your location?
Ondo state but can bring the car to Lagos if necessary.
Re: Stubborn Check Emission System! (50k bounty) by Kingdemu: 3:01pm On Feb 07, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

I can give you the contact phone number and address of an auto tech in Lagos who I can guarantee can fix it and I get the 50k after your car is back to normal. He's a bit pricy sha. Send me a mail if we have a deal.
Re: Stubborn Check Emission System! (50k bounty) by king406(m): 3:31pm On Feb 07, 2021
I’m guessing bad catalytic converter
Re: Stubborn Check Emission System! (50k bounty) by kingreign(m): 3:34pm On Feb 07, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

very simple fix...

Wanna know what's wrong with it, chat me up via WhatsApp 07034581213, I'd be in Ondo early next month.
Re: Stubborn Check Emission System! (50k bounty) by Kelvin30286063(m): 3:57pm On Feb 07, 2021
Kingdemu:
I can give you the contact phone number and address of an auto tech in Lagos who I can guarantee can fix it and I get the 50k after your car is back to normal. He's a bit pricy sha. Send me a mail if we have a deal.
No deal bro. Will only pay anyone that successfully fix the issue 50k as his charges. Job should be way less than that. You expect me to pay you 50k for giving me a mechanic's contact then still pay the mechanic abi? cheesy
Re: Stubborn Check Emission System! (50k bounty) by Kelvin30286063(m): 3:58pm On Feb 07, 2021
kingreign:
very simple fix...

Wanna know what's wrong with it, chat me up via WhatsApp 07034581213, I'd be in Ondo early next month.
Okay, will chat you.
Re: Stubborn Check Emission System! (50k bounty) by Kettlecorn: 4:47pm On Feb 07, 2021
Start with simple solutions. Aside from o2 sensors and cat converters, most don't realize that the gas cap is one of the most common causes of a check engine light. I would suspect this in a car of low miles. An improperly sealing fuel cap may cause an evap system leak, which will set off the Check Engine Light when the the computer detects the leak.

3 Likes

Re: Stubborn Check Emission System! (50k bounty) by mejai(m): 5:03pm On Feb 07, 2021
Na to use spiritual powers to solve the car issue o grin
Re: Stubborn Check Emission System! (50k bounty) by Kettlecorn: 5:11pm On Feb 07, 2021
One other thing, if you have scanned for codes, post it here. I should have first looked to see if there are any service bulletins relating to faulty gas caps. Lo and behold, Acura issued a service bulletin 14-006 to address trouble codes P0455, P0456. The bulletin applies to a lot of vin codes including all 2012 Acura TL's.

P0455 (EVAP system large leak)

P0456 (EVAP system very small leak detected)
The gas cap may be loose or stick/slip when you try to tighten it. Acura has determined that the gas cap gasket is creating too much friction and prevents the cap from sealing properly. There is an updated gas cap to fix the problem. The new gas cap has a brown gasket while the old cap has a black gasket. Check to see if your gas cap still has a black gasket. I would start from here as a cheap and easy potential solution if you haven't pulled codes
Re: Stubborn Check Emission System! (50k bounty) by Kingdemu: 5:56pm On Feb 07, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

No deal bro. Will only pay anyone that successfully fix the issue 50k as his charges. Job should be way less than that. You expect me to pay you 50k for giving me a mechanic's contact then still pay the mechanic abi? cheesy
I think say you be cheerful giver na cheesy cheesy

Well, that man with comment above, Kingreign, go fix am for you. You fit wire me recharge card after its done sha. Good luck
Re: Stubborn Check Emission System! (50k bounty) by Kelvin30286063(m): 7:18pm On Feb 07, 2021
Kettlecorn:
One other thing, if you have scanned for codes, post it here. I should have first looked to see if there are any service bulletins relating to faulty gas caps. Lo and behold, Acura issued a service bulletin 14-006 to address trouble codes P0455, P0456. The bulletin applies to a lot of vin codes including all 2012 Acura TL's.

P0455 (EVAP system large leak)

P0456 (EVAP system very small leak detected)
The gas cap may be loose or stick/slip when you try to tighten it. Acura has determined that the gas cap gasket is creating too much friction and prevents the cap from sealing properly. There is an updated gas cap to fix the problem. The new gas cap has a brown gasket while the old cap has a black gasket. Check to see if your gas cap still has a black gasket. I would start from here as a cheap and easy potential solution if you haven't pulled codes
Thank you very much bro. How do I fix a gas cap leak if that's the issue?
Re: Stubborn Check Emission System! (50k bounty) by Kettlecorn: 8:01pm On Feb 07, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

Thank you very much bro. How do I fix a gas cap leak if that's the issue?

Change the gas cap if that's the issue. If your gas cap has a black gasket I would go ahead and change it to the updated OE cap with a brown gasket. That's the only step I would take without scanning for codes.
Re: Stubborn Check Emission System! (50k bounty) by MOTIONTECH(m): 4:40pm On Feb 08, 2021
Kelvin30286063:
So I have been driving this car for 1 year now. Engine light was on when I bought it tokunbo February last year but I felt it was something I can easily fix since I know what the problem is.

I even tested my catalytic converter to be sure it's okay and it's all fine! I bought this car with a very low mile age of 49k and I'm shocked that this issue will persist for this long.

I will fix your car, lets chat on whatsapp 08092757438.
Re: Stubborn Check Emission System! (50k bounty) by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:17am On Feb 09, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

I want to fix your car for free just for fun. Message me I'll be in Akure weekend.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stubborn Check Emission System! (50k bounty) by Kelvin30286063(m): 8:39am On Feb 09, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

I want to fix your car for free just fun. Message me I'll be in Akure weekend.

Omg! That will be an honor!
I'll definitely message you!!!
Re: Stubborn Check Emission System! (50k bounty) by DAutoDiagnosis: 5:34pm On Feb 09, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

Call me. Let's fix this. My shop is at Gbagada
Re: Stubborn Check Emission System! (50k bounty) by DAutoDiagnosis: 5:36pm On Feb 09, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

I didn't read this

cheesy keep throwing parts at it, since you knw the fix is less than 50k
Re: Stubborn Check Emission System! (50k bounty) by Horoyeencar: 6:18am On May 03, 2021
fixed?
Kelvin30286063:

(1) (Reply)

Easy Car Scanning And Repair Software For Your Car / My Mechanic Advised Me To Top My Engine Oil. / Pls Help ES350 Damaged Crankshaft

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.