Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,828 members, 7,810,180 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:37 PM

Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? (14641 Views)

Deceased Receive Final Circus Show From Friends In Ghana (Photo, Video) / Man Marries His Deceased Fiance At Her Funeral (photos - Video) / Interesting Things About Owambe Parties In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by soundOsonic: 2:18pm On Feb 07, 2021
Like the saying says don't speak ill of the dead.
what if the deceased was actually a dead beat when he was alive?

I was at a funeral, (not a fun place to be) then the pastor started with a long sermon that will make even the dead bored. Well he got my attention when he started speaking of the deceased.
He spoke very nice of the man, how he was a good father (this man reigned curses on his children like 11 times a week), he also said the deceased was a responsible husband ( he literally comes home drunk, and he was indeed a broke stingy man except when he is in the beer parlor), the deceased is generous (only generous with the booze), a good Christian (he actually was a fan of teenage girls, he chases them like a cock on heat).

I was tempted to stand up and look through the coffin, if at all I was at the right funeral maybe the pastor did not know this folk so I thought. Then others came to give testimony of how kind and down to earth man he was. I was shock like someone living in aso Rock.
The hypocrisy was so much that I only waited for the burial food and drinks if not I would have left.

Do we speak good of the dead simply because we want to comfort the bereaved, or just look nice to say something nice about people? Or can't we not drop the hypocrisy and say everything good, bad and the ugly about the deceased after all that's still honoring the memory? Or we should just hold our peace and say nothing since we don't have any good thing to say?

Your guess is good as mine. Let me drop a funeral joke for you all.

in a funeral, the priest after the sermon asked the pew if there was anything nice to say about the deceased, everyone looked down staring at the lace of their shoes; the priest later said " common guys at least anything good about him even if it is a sentence" then a man at the back seat shouted "His brother was worse" grin grin

108 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by setobaba: 2:26pm On Feb 07, 2021
I have always also wondered even when it’s glaring some of them didn’t use their life time well or as pleased

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by schoolboymatt(m): 2:36pm On Feb 07, 2021
you had to wait for the food before leaving? unbelievable wink

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by soundOsonic: 2:41pm On Feb 07, 2021
schoolboymatt:
you had to wait for the food before leaving?
unbelievable wink
Na so now, you no know say na burial rice sweet pass marriage rice?

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by hisgrace090: 4:01pm On Feb 07, 2021
It is a selfish act praising one only when the fellow will no longer benefits from those praises being a dead person already.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Feb 07, 2021
Pity and fear.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by FalseProphet1(m): 8:23pm On Feb 07, 2021
There is a saying that whenever you say anything bad concerning the dead, the dark forces who are custodians if the person's soul will visit you and harvest your soul. So people don't want the wrath of the dark forces to fall upon them that's why the all speak good about the dead regardless of how bad he/she was during his/her lifetime.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by Ghost1994: 8:23pm On Feb 07, 2021
I disagree with your write up OP!

People will keep on saying good things about late president Y'adua than the current one when he pass on.

Theirs this Baba soldier he built house around my family house back then. He act as if he's God as in if your ball enter him compound, forget that ball for life.

When the man died, everybody around the neighbourhood's condemned the man and abuse his death including his wife

23 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by swhiss: 8:23pm On Feb 07, 2021
Because It's human nature to take things for granted when they're present and value them when they're gone.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Feb 07, 2021
Hypocrisy

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by jesus247alive(m): 8:23pm On Feb 07, 2021
Because an average human is a hypocrite even to a dead person....

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by Enudapan: 8:23pm On Feb 07, 2021
Nah eh! No qualms
This is so unsophisticated

O.p do you want the deceased to slap them from the grave

Btw death brings about memories, especially lovely, funny and good memories
(Like when someone dies, you Will remember how he helped than how he/she fought you unless you guys are real enemies)

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Feb 07, 2021
Hypocrisy ... that’s why

Same reason no one gives a fvvck when you’re sick but when you die they post emotional tribute on social media....

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by Righteousness2(m): 8:24pm On Feb 07, 2021
As Humans, We Naturally Love to Deceive ourselves..

It's like when you hear or see things like " May GOD Forgive the Dead"

There is no Prayer that could be used to change or switch the Eternal Destination of the Dead.

For Me, Burial ceremonies should be used to Minister to the Living on the need for Preparation for Eternity, because one day the Living will Depart.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by NoFap123: 8:24pm On Feb 07, 2021
Don't speak I'll of the dead is a nice of saying "don't lie and don't say the truth either"

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by The5DME(m): 8:24pm On Feb 07, 2021
Because it's considered immoral to talk bad about the dead.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by browniecay: 8:24pm On Feb 07, 2021
Deception sometimes. No matter what, do good while you're still alive.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by ednut1(m): 8:24pm On Feb 07, 2021
Hypocrisy
Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by drips8(m): 8:24pm On Feb 07, 2021
It's a sign of respect.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by Emu4life(m): 8:25pm On Feb 07, 2021
You want them to say bad about the deceased

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by Otaiky(m): 8:25pm On Feb 07, 2021
ohoke �
Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by bamac(m): 8:25pm On Feb 07, 2021
If you ain't good, I won't say otherwise after you.
Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by MoDaniel(m): 8:25pm On Feb 07, 2021
If you don't like it that way, then be a decedent and we will surely say good about you. wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by Successmind(m): 8:25pm On Feb 07, 2021
What were u expecting them to say?
Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by BennyDGreat: 8:25pm On Feb 07, 2021
This op.*I was shocked like someone living in Aso Rock,* hahahaha

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by zieraw2005(m): 8:25pm On Feb 07, 2021
In my village you can only show how the dead lived either right or wrong via drama. People know actually whether the priest is saying the truth or not.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by brexit: 8:25pm On Feb 07, 2021
We are all pretenders, if not we will be saying the truth but the family members want to create a good impression of the deceased

We need to be very careful, God is Watching the level of our lies

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:26pm On Feb 07, 2021
Do not speak ill of some dead people ..... not every dead person.

To the evil dead ones : we pray they die the second time again on their way to Hell Fire!

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by Bigredmachine: 8:26pm On Feb 07, 2021
abeg i tire...
Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by holatin(m): 8:26pm On Feb 07, 2021
as Yoruba do say, we no dey count a a nine toe man leg in his presence. it's era of kissing ass....truth hurt to hear too

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by sassiemyk: 8:26pm On Feb 07, 2021
Nothing more but hypocrisy. When the dead was alive they hardly ever talked.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Say Good Things About The Deceased? by mariahAngel(f): 8:26pm On Feb 07, 2021
Not everyone.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Over 4,000 Registered For Kano Mass Wedding / Pictures Of Nigeria@52 Celebration In My Locality. / Torley Nigeria “silent Disco Party” With Arcadian Lounge (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.