Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,181 members, 7,811,459 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:04 PM

EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor (6000 Views)

Converted My Peugeot 407 Coupé V6 From Auto To Stick-shift / Peugeot 407 - The Most Common Problems And Fixes / Peugeot 406 Ew10j4 Or Corolla For Fuel Best Fuel Economy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by Ikenna351(m): 1:43am On Feb 08, 2021
EW10A TO EW10J4 IN PEUGEOT 407: NIGERIAN FACTOR.

For the past few days, I was engage in providing partial remote Pre-purchase inspections for a client interested in buying Peugeot 407 with EW10J4. Among the 407s he sent me their pictures, one had EW10J4, but the wiring connections and Engine attachments were that of EW10A. When I asked him to send me the VIN, it indicated EW12J4 instead. I asked and directed him where to find and send me Engine ECU picture which showed EW10A ECU (all in one vehicle, but at least it confirmed my suspicion).

About 2 more 407s he sent me their pictures had EW10J4, but their engine ECUs were EW10A. Not saying I was surprised, because it's what majority of 407 users with EW10A Engines end up doing.

The interesting part was from the look of those EW10J4 engines on the pictures, they were recently purchased and swapped in (tokunbo), yet the owners still prefer to get rid of their cars. The reasons were obvious.

EW10J4 or EW7J4 will never run properly with EW10A Engine management systems. They realised how unsuccessful the conversions were and wanted to transfer the headache to someone else. Fortunately, people who prefer abused lions at any cost would buy off those nightmares from them, even at give away prices, only to start crying "HELP! HELP! HELP!

EW10A camshaft position sensor is attached on intake camshaft, while that of EW10J4 is mounted on Exhaust camshaft. Their ECU expects different values from those sensors to determine the conditions of timing and use the information to control when and how their Engines start and run. Connecting EW10A ECU to EW10J4 will mess up the Engine start (severe hard start), among other things.

EW10A is an improved and more powerful engine to EW10J4 with lesser fuel consumption. It has VVT solenoid, unlike the predecessor (EW10J4). So expecting the EW10A ECU to run EW10J4 engine properly without or in absence of VVT solenoid shows ignorance on function of VVT solenoid and how the system work Engine ECU. Will not only run rich, but will be underpowered, among other issues it will introduce.

For EW10J4 engine to work properly on Peugeot 407 with formerly EW10A, the EW10J4 systems must be swapped in, which will cost more than value of the car (such conversions are not for the fainthearted or those working with limited budget).

If you are interested in buying a Peugeot 407 and you know nothing about modern Peugeot Vehicle systems, do not go and make purchase without Pre-purchase inspections by someone that understands those systems. If you do, don't come back crying for help if you end up with such severe abused 407 and expect sympathy or even empathy from me when the nightmares starts. You were warned before hand.

If you already own a Peugeot 407 with the EW10A Engine and considering doing the stupid conversion to EW10J4 engine in abused manner, it's better for to take the lion to a Peugeot technician that understands the system to fix the lion or sell the car and buy one with EW10J4 engine from factory (unless converted outside Nigeria properly). The cost of doing the conversion properly can buy you another 407 in good condition, unless you are hardcore enthusiast like me who spend with heart in conversion, not with head. If you ignore this advice and do it wrongly as these local Nigerian mechanics usually suggest to users, you will learn the hard way (probably better for you).

I honestly don't see anything wrong with this dreaded EW10A. It has more power than EW10J4 and still consume less than the EW10J4. Parts are available and not so pricey. As long as you maintain the EW10A DO'S & DONTs, the Engine will serve you perfectly well like the EW10J4 every Nigerian is praising. 99% users of the EW10A are running 20w-50 & 15W-50 oil weights in the Engine, when Peugeot specifically recommended only 5w-40 for the Engine, which fortunately is abundantly available in Nigeria. Yet they will start complaining their EW10A Engines don't last or always giving issues. One thing that Engine hates is abuse, both mechanically and Electrically, which most users enjoy doing and expecting different feedback from their Engines.

EW10A is not a perfect Engine (has its strengths and weaknesses), and so does the EW10J4. I know some Peugeot 407 users with EW10A Engines that are truly enjoying their lions for years I have known them. If you are not enjoying yours, the problem is not your Engine or your vehicle. Look inward.

Lion King - Monk.

2 Likes

Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by Wisebird22(m): 4:13am On Feb 08, 2021
Welcome back lionking
Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by NobleEngineer(m): 7:13am On Feb 08, 2021
Welcome back Lionking
Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:33am On Feb 08, 2021
Ikenna351:

For the past few days, I was engage in providing partial remote Pre-purchase inspections for a client interested in buying Peugeot 407 with EW10J4. Among the 407s he sent me their pictures, one had EW10J4, but the wiring connections and Engine attachments were that of EW10A. When I asked him to send me the VIN, it indicated EW12J4 instead. I asked and directed him where to find and send me Engine ECU picture which showed EW10A ECU (all in one vehicle, but at least it confirmed my suspicion).

About 2 more 407s he sent me their pictures had EW10J4, but their engine ECUs were EW10A. Not saying I was surprised, because it's what majority of 407 users with EW10A Engines end up doing.

The interesting part was from the look of those EW10J4 engines on the pictures, they were recently purchased and swapped in (tokunbo), yet the owners still prefer to get rid of their cars. The reasons were obvious.

EW10J4 or EW7J4 will never run properly with EW10A Engine management systems. They realised how unsuccessful the conversions were and wanted to transfer the headache to someone else. Fortunately, people who prefer abused lions at any cost would buy off those nightmares from them, even at give away prices, only to start crying "HELP! HELP! HELP!

EW10A camshaft position sensor is attached on intake camshaft, while that of EW10J4 is mounted on Exhaust camshaft. Their ECU expects different values from those sensors to determine the conditions of timing and use the information to control when and how their Engines start and run. Connecting EW10A ECU to EW10J4 will mess up the Engine start (severe hard start), among other things.

EW10A is an improved and more powerful engine to EW10J4 with lesser fuel consumption. It has VVT solenoid, unlike the predecessor (EW10J4). So expecting the EW10A ECU to run EW10J4 engine properly without or in absence of VVT solenoid shows ignorance on function of VVT solenoid and how the system work Engine ECU. Will not only run rich, but will be underpowered, among other issues it will introduce.

For EW10J4 engine to work properly on Peugeot 407 with formerly EW10A, the EW10J4 systems must be swapped in, which will cost more than value of the car (such conversions are not for the fainthearted or those working with limited budget).

If you are interested in buying a Peugeot 407 and you know nothing about modern Peugeot Vehicle systems, do not go and make purchase without Pre-purchase inspections by someone that understands those systems. If you do, don't come back crying for help if you end up with such severe abused 407 and expect sympathy or even empathy from me when the nightmares starts. You were warned before hand.

If you already own a Peugeot 407 with the EW10A Engine and considering doing the stupid conversion to EW10J4 engine in abused manner, it's better for to take the lion to a Peugeot technician that understands the system to fix the lion or sell the car and buy one with EW10J4 engine from factory (unless converted outside Nigeria properly). The cost of doing the conversion properly can buy you another 407 in good condition, unless you are hardcore enthusiast like me who spend with heart in conversion, not with head. If you ignore this advice and do it wrongly as these local Nigerian mechanics usually suggest to users, you will learn the hard way (probably better for you).

I honestly don't see anything wrong with this dreaded EW10A. It has more power than EW10J4 and still consume less than the EW10J4. Parts are available and not so pricey. As long as you maintain the EW10A DO'S & DONTs, the Engine will serve you perfectly well like the EW10J4 every Nigerian is praising. 99% users of the EW10A are running 20w-50 & 15W-50 oil weights in the Engine, when Peugeot specifically recommended only 5w-40 for the Engine, which fortunately is abundantly available in Nigeria. Yet they will start complaining their EW10A Engines don't last or always giving issues. One thing that Engine hates is abuse, both mechanically and Electrically, which most users enjoy doing and expecting different feedback from their Engines.

EW10A is not a perfect Engine (has its strengths and weaknesses), and so does the EW10J4. I know some Peugeot 407 users with EW10A Engines that are truly enjoying their lions for years I have known them. If you are not enjoying yours, the problem is not your Engine or your vehicle. Look inward.

Lion King - Monk.

This is a new year. Hope you will not vex and delete this write-up later.

6 Likes

Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by kayswag100(m): 5:21am On Feb 13, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

He'll delete it and write "J"

1 Like

Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by naijadrivablog: 6:06am On Feb 14, 2021
temperamental Ikenna

2 Likes

Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by weyreypey: 8:20am On Feb 14, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

Arrogant mechanic
Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by Ochepet: 12:28am On Mar 07, 2021
Hi Ikenna,
I've issues with my 406, ranging from electrical to mechanical. I need your help. I sent you a mail but would be glad if I got your contact number sir
Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by munezo(m): 8:47pm On May 24, 2021
Ikenna351:

Lion King - Monk.

Good day Lion King,

My car is a Peugeot 407 with EW10 engine, but I don't know whether it is EW10A or EW10J4A. How do I find this out?
Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by aieromon(m): 9:42pm On May 24, 2021
munezo:

Good day Lion King,

My car is a Peugeot 407 with EW10 engine, but I don't know whether it is EW10A or EW10J4A. How do I find this out?

Your engine code is right there in the VIN.
Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by munezo(m): 10:34pm On May 24, 2021
aieromon:

Your engine code is right there in the VIN.

Does it change? Because I bought a full tokunbo EW10 engine last 2 months
Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by aieromon(m): 10:46pm On May 24, 2021
munezo:

Does it change? Because I bought a full tokunbo EW10 engine last 2 months

I hope you replaced like for like? If you didn't, then this thread is for you.
Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by munezo(m): 11:01pm On May 24, 2021
aieromon:

I hope you replaced like for like? If you didn't, then this thread is for you.

I am a novice, I just love the Peugeot brand and started using it. I don't even know what you mean by like for like.
Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by aieromon(m): 11:03pm On May 24, 2021
munezo:

I am a novice, I just love the Peugeot brand and started using it. I don't even know what you mean by like for like.

Why did you buy a Tokunbo engine? What information do you want?
Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by emmancecute(m): 4:21am On May 25, 2021
munezo:

Good day Lion King,

does your engine look like the one posted by op or looks like this?

Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by munezo(m): 7:38am On May 25, 2021
emmancecute:

Yes, this is my type of engine
Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by munezo(m): 7:40am On May 25, 2021
aieromon:

Why did you buy a Tokunbo engine? What information do you want?

I was advised to buy a tokunbo engine, I bought it at Ladipo. Do people buy brand new engines?

I want to know if my engine is EW10A or EW10J4A.

Thank you
Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by munezo(m): 7:42am On May 25, 2021
emmancecute:

This is my engine.

Thanks

Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by aieromon(m): 8:38am On May 25, 2021
munezo:

I was advised to buy a tokunbo engine, I bought it at Ladipo. Do people buy brand new engines?

I want to know if my engine is EW10A or EW10J4A.

Thank you

You didn't buy a EW10A engine for sure. This thread is for you.
Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by emmancecute(m): 8:53am On May 25, 2021
munezo:

This is my engine.

Thanks
ok, thats EW10j4. Was that the engine the car with?
Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by emmancecute(m): 8:54am On May 25, 2021
aieromon:

it depends, Car might have come originally with EW10j4
Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by emmancecute(m): 8:55am On May 25, 2021
munezo:

This is my engine.

Thanks
you can do a vin check to be sure about the engine vehicle came with
Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by munezo(m): 9:29am On May 25, 2021
emmancecute:
ok, thats EW10j4. Was that the engine the car with?

Thank you.

I don't even know, I will have to ask my Rewire or Mech.
Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by munezo(m): 9:30am On May 25, 2021
emmancecute:
you can do a vin check to be sure about the engine vehicle came with

Thank you.

You have a link where I can do that?
Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by munezo(m): 9:31am On May 25, 2021
aieromon:

Thank you.

How do I make corrections as per this thread?
Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by emmancecute(m): 9:52am On May 25, 2021
munezo:

Thank you.

You have a link where I can do that?
quote me with the vin, let me see if I can check it for you.
Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by munezo(m): 9:59am On May 25, 2021
emmancecute:
quote me with the vin, let me see if I can check it for you.

VIN: VF36D9HZC21048090.

Thank you
Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by emmancecute(m): 10:29am On May 25, 2021
munezo:

Thank you
if this information is true, car came with diesel engine and was converted from RHD to LHD.

Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by aieromon(m): 10:36am On May 25, 2021
munezo:

Thank you

407 SEDAN 4 DOORS 1.6 HDi 110 FAP (DV6TED4) BVM 5
Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by munezo(m): 10:55am On May 25, 2021
emmancecute:
if this information is true, car came with diesel engine and was converted from RHD to LHD.

Wow, you are very correct sir.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by munezo(m): 11:11am On May 25, 2021
aieromon:

407 SEDAN 4 DOORS 1.6 HDi 110 FAP (DV6TED4) BVM 5

Thank you.

How do I know the engine it came with originally?
Re: EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor by emmancecute(m): 11:39am On May 25, 2021
munezo:

Thank you.

How do I know the engine it came with originally?
the car came with diesel engine and as been converted to petrol engine already. If convertion is properly done, then you have nothing to worry about.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Are Cars So Expensive? / My Car Overheat When Ac Is On / Fat Tyre And Thine Tyre.what Are Their Advantages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.