Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,814 members, 7,862,699 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 12:10 AM

How Do I Prepare A Wheat As A Swallow? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How Do I Prepare A Wheat As A Swallow? (2600 Views)

Prices Of Bread, Paste May Crash As FG Releases Four New Varieties Of Wheat / I Just Bought This Animal From Some Boys, How Do I Prepare It? / Eat Healthy! How I Prepare Delicious Nigerian Vegetable Salad, (photos,video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Prepare A Wheat As A Swallow? by miniziter(m): 12:30pm On Feb 10, 2021
I am trying to cut down the cost of purchasing a Semo evertime. Please if I got the wheat grain from the market, what other things am I to add before it becomes a "swallow". I don't mind paying to get the knowledge.
Re: How Do I Prepare A Wheat As A Swallow? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Feb 10, 2021
Nothing. Just pick out any chaff or dirt after buying it. Then take it to the Millers and mill.

Once it's in powder form, prepare like you would semo.

Bring water to a boil.
Add the powder wheat, reduce the fire ( to prevent lumps) and begin to turn until it forms a stiff dough.
Sprinkle water on it and and increase the fire a bit. cover and cook for a few mins. Then turn it finally and bring down.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Prepare A Wheat As A Swallow? by adanny01(m): 1:37pm On Feb 10, 2021
The problem is wheat is not produced commercially in Nigeria so I assume it's not cheaper considering time and effort.

So I don't see you getting it any cheaper unless the Corn and guinea corn versions

There are several swallow options we cook in the North
1 white rice (tuwon shinkafa)
2 Corn
3 Guinea corn
4 Acha
5 Cassava flour
6 sweet potato flour

Corn is not so starchy so a little bit of Cassava flour will make it look like semo. Even Acha is not cheap

1 Like

Re: How Do I Prepare A Wheat As A Swallow? by miniziter(m): 9:19am On Feb 11, 2021
adanny01:
The problem is wheat is not produced commercially in Nigeria so I assume it's not cheaper considering time and effort.

So I don't see you getting it any cheaper unless the Corn and guinea corn versions

2 Corn
3 Guinea corn
4 Acha
5 Cassava flour
6 sweet potato flour

Corn is not so starchy so a little bit of Cassava flour will make it look like semo. Even Acha is not cheap
You mean wheat is not originally Nigeria thing?
Re: How Do I Prepare A Wheat As A Swallow? by adanny01(m): 9:52am On Feb 11, 2021
miniziter:

You mean wheat is not originally Nigeria thing?

It was but no more.

Like when cocoa, groundnut, cotton were Nigeria's major export, wheat was among them but no longer.

There are only two very few markets you will get wheat and only in small quantity.

All those flour, noodles companies you see in Nigeria, they rely on imports for wheat. Dangote, Honeywell etc

Imagine all the bread, noodles, semo, spaghetti etc we eat daily are from imports. Why do you think price of bread keeps going up.
Re: How Do I Prepare A Wheat As A Swallow? by miniziter(m): 10:11am On Feb 11, 2021
adanny01:

It was but no more.

Like when cocoa, groundnut, cotton were Nigeria's major export, wheat was among them but no longer.

There are only two very few markets you will get wheat and only in small quantity.

All those flour, noodles companies you see in Nigeria, they rely on imports for wheat. Dangote, Honeywell etc

Imagine all the bread, noodles, semo, spaghetti etc we eat daily are from imports. Why do you think price of bread keeps going up.
Nawao. God will help us in naija
Re: How Do I Prepare A Wheat As A Swallow? by peacealways: 7:31am On Feb 12, 2021
adanny01:

2 Corn
3 Guinea corn
4 Acha
5 Cassava flour
6 sweet potato flour

am very interested in rice flour can you teach me the combination and how it produce it's taste better than semovita thanks
Re: How Do I Prepare A Wheat As A Swallow? by adanny01(m): 10:51am On Feb 12, 2021
peacealways:

am very interested in rice flour can you teach me the combination and how it produce it's taste better than semovita thanks

Actually, it's not rice flour. Even though I have seen white rice flour in shopping malls just like plantain, sweet potato, yam and cassava flour. I have tried all except for plantain and rice flour. The rice flour will do but will not taste like the real deal.

Please note that white rice is different from parboiled rice. Parboiled rice won't work. Parboiled rice is boiled with it's husk before removing the husk while white rice goes to the mill without boiling.

Tuwon shinkafa is normally cooked by soaking the rice for an hour to reduce cooking time and increased softness. The rice is cooked with plenty water till all the grains of rice overcooks to become very soft that if turned, becomes smooth and stick together.

The major challenge in cooking is the amount of water, as too much will make it too soft, too little will get it burnt and not become soft. Another point to note is that the rice is not turn or stirred until it has cooked and water dried else it burns. Also heat is set at low towards the end of cooking which aids drying of water and softening of rice grains. If properly done, you won't notice a single grain of rice when cooked.

If I were to cook the flour on the other hand, I will make a paste with cold water, pour the paste in boiling water and allow to cook for 10mins. Then add dry flour to thicken while stirring. Then close the pot and put the heat on low for 5mins. Turn off the heat and leave it closed for another 5mins before final turning and serving. This process is just like semo but It should cook longer than semo.

Remember, no two fufu/tuwo taste the same, even cooking method of time makes a difference.
Re: How Do I Prepare A Wheat As A Swallow? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Feb 12, 2021
miniziter:
I am trying to cut down the cost of purchasing a Semo evertime. Please if I got the wheat grain from the market, what other things am I to add before it becomes a "swallow". I don't mind paying to get the knowledge.

Dear Op, wheat is still produced in Nigeria, bornu state being the highest producer, but because demand exceeds supply , the country imports .

If you are in lagos wheat is readily available and affordable ...u can find wheat in any major markets it is sold by hausa traders who sell beans and millet too.

Currently a paint bucket is about 1500 then it is grinded in the dry mill with about 400 naira.
This wheat is far healthier than the packaged ones which sometimes have preservatives added.

To prepare it, very easy ,let me know if you need it before I proceed

1 Like

Re: How Do I Prepare A Wheat As A Swallow? by miniziter(m): 10:20pm On Feb 12, 2021
igbosoupkitchen:

Dear Op, wheat is still produced in Nigeria, bornu state being the highest producer, but because demand exceeds supply , the country imports .

If you are in lagos wheat is readily available and affordable ...u can find wheat in any major markets it is sold by hausa traders who sell beans and millet too.

Currently a paint bucket is about 1500 then it is grinded in the dry mill with about 400 naira.
This wheat is far healthier than the packaged ones which sometimes have preservatives added.

To prepare it, very easy ,let me know if you need it before I proceed
What about bigger rubber?
Re: How Do I Prepare A Wheat As A Swallow? by Nobody: 9:36am On Feb 13, 2021
miniziter:

What about bigger rubber?

This depends on how many paint buckets make one of those rubbers.

Are u in lagos?
Re: How Do I Prepare A Wheat As A Swallow? by miniziter(m): 10:27am On Feb 13, 2021
igbosoupkitchen:

This depends on how many paint buckets make one of those rubbers.

Are u in lagos?
Am in Benin city.
Re: How Do I Prepare A Wheat As A Swallow? by Nobody: 10:58am On Feb 13, 2021
miniziter:

Am in Benin city.

Oh I see...

What quantity do you want? this is the same wheat i eat, I have attached picture of mine herein.

Once grinded it doesnt need preservative, just keep in a dry covered rubber or container and it can last long.
This my own was bought and grinded in December.

We can talk more on the WhatsApp link on my profile

(1) (Reply)

Preservative For Sponge Cake / 15 Surprising Things You Can Do With Coca-cola – Aside Drinking It / Stew Lovers Hop In Here?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.