Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,745 members, 7,820,573 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:23 PM

Differences Between Academic And Professional Masters Degree - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Differences Between Academic And Professional Masters Degree (989 Views)

Academic Masters Or Professional Masters? / Academic Vs Professional Masters Program. / Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Differences Between Academic And Professional Masters Degree by Herceptin: 4:57pm On Feb 10, 2021
I applied for a masters degree and got the admission but i m currently being asked to choose between academic and professional masters.
Im kinda hearing this for the first time so i would appreciate Nairalanders to throw more light into this.
Which one is better and which one should i go for?
Thanks in anticipation.
Keep your views coming in ernest.

Re: Differences Between Academic And Professional Masters Degree by Nobody: 5:01pm On Feb 10, 2021
Professional master's is tailored for work and not further studies and as such, usually not allowed for PhDs except in few cases and foreign universities. Academic master's on the other hand is tailored to further studies (PhD) and you also write a master's thesis.

Either ways, your goal should the main determinant for whichever option you go for.
Re: Differences Between Academic And Professional Masters Degree by IamSalt: 5:08pm On Feb 10, 2021
Professional master is a one year programme, you cannot use it to further your PhD except you go for MPhil.
Academic master is a two years programme here in Nigeria and enable you to apply for PhD directly without MPhil except you are changing course.

Las las you go must do two years if you wan do PhD.

Academic master=two years
Professional master=one year plus MPhil one year if you want to do PhD.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Differences Between Academic And Professional Masters Degree by WoundedLamb: 5:34pm On Feb 10, 2021
The persons above are correct.

In my own words, a professional master's degree equips you to better understand and apply a body of knowledge to the day to day activities at your place of work while an academic master's degree equips you to understand the fundamental theories that govern the practical aspects of the field in question, and also prepares to you contribute your own quota to the body of knowledge. As a result, academic masters only admit people with background in the course while professional masters welcome people of different academic backgrounds. Again, like the person above said, most professional master's degrees are terminal; they can't be used to pursue a doctorate degree.

MSc in computing (academic) might be interested in researching better search or sort algorithms, regression techniques in neural networks, natural language processing, automata theories and compiler construction, numerical computation and computer modeling, software design concepts (like those proposed by the gang of 4), etc. depending on the specialization. While MIT (professional) is interested in code promotion workflows and best practices (dev server to test server to QA server to UAT server and finally to production server), Always-On-Availability, database mirroring and clustering, network layers, server farms and active directory management, application hosting, change management, IT project management, etc. again, depending on specialization.

(1) (Reply)

If I Don't Share This Story With You I Will Hate Myself For That. Must Read Now / Want To Study Abroad? Your Smoothest Path To Study Abroad / Not Graduating From University So Sad!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.